Just wondering since reviews were released, with already several software updates, will the add this to their initial reviews? I believe they have an obligation to keep reviews current with updates. This could really change the public perception of the playbook. I believe that they are obligated to follow-up and keep the reviews current as their initial concerns are addressed and corrected. I have a feeling most won't have the balls to update reviews and allow initial reviews to stand. Just MHO. I hope I'm wrong and they do the right thing.
    04-17-11 12:30 AM
    I don't think most will update their reviews. They have already written the PB off.
    04-17-11 12:35 AM
    I know Kevin will, but I Have huge doubts about most... You can guess who..
    04-17-11 12:38 AM
    Updating reviews after initial publication affects the reputation of the writers.
    Sadly, no one will do that.
    04-17-11 12:50 AM
    I'm pretty sure Engadget, BGR, Gizmodo, et al will do release reviews (likely short). Their intent will be to further hammer the nail in the RIM coffin, but they may be unpleasantly (pleasantly to us) surprised at what they see.

As much as they like to write bad stuff about non-iOS products, they sometimes do say some nice things and they do have "reputations" to maintain. They don't have to be enthusiastic about it, but they do have to be somewhat honest. They'd look like idiots if they review a demo, pre-production unit and don't at least revisit the real deal when it's released.

(and yes, I know a lot of people think they are idiots, but they don't want that getting out, so they'll pretend to be impartial).
    04-17-11 12:52 AM
    Updating reviews after initial publication affects the reputation of the writers.
    Sadly, no one will do that.
    except when the review is of a preproduction unit.
    04-17-11 12:53 AM
    Sadly, the average consumer believes the reviews . I have faith that RIM won't let us down!
    04-17-11 12:55 AM
    It should only enhance their reputation. It would show honesty and reliability. I feel a responsibility to inform customers and prospects of software updates that may affect their buying decisions.
    04-17-11 12:58 AM
    it may be a preproduction unit but that is what RIM gave them. they will all do follow up articles but i wouldnt expect them right away. maybe after they get a good feel how sales are doing after a couple weeks they will run a story or a big announcements/findings happen. But i still dont think even with the new software on tuesday they are going to turn the PB into a perfect device. As kevin mentioned, the PB will still lack the apps, native email etc that it does now.

Just have to wait and see and the best thing, GO TRY IT OUT FOR YOURSELF
    04-17-11 01:02 AM
    It should only enhance their reputation. It would show honesty and reliability. I feel a responsibility to inform customers and prospects of software updates that may affect their buying decisions.
    they review thousands of products, they cant do this unless something huge happens.
    04-17-11 01:03 AM
    Sadly, the average consumer believes the reviews . I have faith that RIM won't let us down!
    Many consumers won't even read the reviews for weeks maybe even months from now. It would be nice if they were reading up to date info. They don't have to remove initial comments, just tag them with an "update" at the end.
    04-17-11 01:04 AM
    Many consumers won't even read the reviews for weeks maybe even months from now. It would be nice if they were reading up to date info. They don't have to remove initial comments, just tag them with an "update" at the end.
    I've already heard people saying "Ohh the PB got bad reviews". I tell everyone, those were pre-release units. People need to realize that software can be improved, hardware can't.
    04-17-11 01:11 AM
    they review thousands of products, they cant do this unless something huge happens.
    I handle hundreds of products and service thousands of customers and I manage to keep them up to speed. I feel it's my responsibility if they are counting on me for accurate info.
    04-17-11 01:12 AM
    I did what I thought was an interesting experiment after my last post in this thread. I did a google news search for playbook reviews and then sorted by date. Guess what? The most recent reviews are all much more positive. I suppose these reviewers are using newer builds. The following line, and the tone of the whole review, suggests that this reviewer for example isn't much of a RIM fan, yet the review is positive:

"This isn't quite **** freezing over, but it's close: The makers of the BlackBerry have come out with something you might love."

PlayBook tablet performs strong, compact and light | StAugustine.com

I think as more and more of these types of reviews come in, and a few were much more positive than this one, the initial reviewers will be wondering what's up and curiosity alone will get them to look at the device again.

Blackberry PlayBook has real strengths, but feels unfinished - BostonHerald.com

Tech review: BlackBerry PlayBook strong, well-priced | Lubbock Online | Lubbock Avalanche-Journal

AP: Playbook tablet scores points, provides first serious competition to the iPad | lehighvalleylive.com

G Styled: The BlackBerry PlayBook – How a Tablet Should Look (yes, I know this one's a bit silly).

Oh, and Howarmat, I couldn't agree more, the bad reviews are completely RIM's fault for giving them pre-production units to review. I never understand companies who do this. The "journalist" tells them, don't worry, we understand, we won't report as if it's a production model, we'll give it the benefit of the doubt... yeah right...
    dunerzr and anon(3896606) like this.
    04-17-11 01:23 AM

Oh, and Howarmat, I couldn't agree more, the bad reviews are completely RIM's fault for giving them pre-production units to review. I never understand companies who do this. The "journalist" tells them, don't worry, we understand, we won't report as if it's a production model, we'll give it the benefit of the doubt... yeah right...
    This. Whoever decided it was a good idea to give unfinished prerelease units to the reviewers should be fired immediately at RIM. Most stupid move EVER.

I fully expect the release software to be significantly improved but indeed, the reviewers aren't going to write about that.
    04-17-11 01:59 AM
    I'm pretty sure Engadget, BGR, Gizmodo, et al will do release reviews (likely short). Their intent will be to further hammer the nail in the RIM coffin, but they may be unpleasantly (pleasantly to us) surprised at what they see.
    actually BGR's article i thought was very fair an well done. not the typical anti-RIM **** that you get from other sites. in fact, he ended the article saying that he was excited with RIM's new direction.
    04-17-11 03:31 AM
    Lol. Do they update reviews for any other products?
    04-17-11 03:37 AM
    Just wondering since reviews were released, with already several software updates, will the add this to their initial reviews? I believe they have an obligation to keep reviews current with updates. This could really change the public perception of the playbook. I believe that they are obligated to follow-up and keep the reviews current as their initial concerns are addressed and corrected. I have a feeling most won't have the balls to update reviews and allow initial reviews to stand. Just MHO. I hope I'm wrong and they do the right thing.
    You worry too much about what others think about the PlayBook.

Just get one and do not worry about what others think.

If you are still on the fence, keep watching here and you will get more information than any review. Most of the reviewers could care less about updating.
    04-17-11 05:16 AM
    Like a previous poster said, Kevin will but not the others.

Remember, (1) most had a bias and were more than happy to use more flawed OS versions because it legitimized their trashing and bashing, and (2) even if they broke protocol and did a review update, it would still be done with the usual "rip RIM a new one" filter so no matter what, it would suck.

Remember, these guys have no integrity or shame. Test #1; "is it made by apple? If not, then it sucks." And to further their depravity, they have no qualms about attacking a RIM product for something most other tablets are guilty of but conveniently over look.

How many people in here know that the Motorola xoom launched with 11 apps? How many in here have heard the honeycomb OS is not backwards compatible with android, like qnx isn't with bbOS? Last count I heard, the xoom was only up to 50 apps... So why is 4,000 apps at launch "insufficient"?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-11 05:37 AM
    I've already heard people saying "Ohh the PB got bad reviews". I tell everyone, those were pre-release units. People need to realize that software can be improved, hardware can't.
    Unless it's somethings like a small button.
    04-17-11 05:50 AM
    I think you will only see updated reviews if they release a bunch of the updates in one patch similar to the way that the "multi-tasking" patch for the ipad got a review, although that might be a bit of a shame for playbook owners since it would be nice if they could take advantage of not being tied to carrier approval schedules to do more frequent smaller updates.
    04-17-11 05:53 AM
    Unless it's somethings like a small button.
    While it might annoy initial buyers slightly, that is something they could readily improve in subsequent batches e.g. ensuring it was raised a bit or slightly increased in size, for all we know the review hardware might be part of a final batch of internal beta hardware even so it might be a non-issue unless anyone has got one from a shop early and also had the same problem with it.
    04-17-11 06:00 AM
    I'm thinking many will revist when the 3G (4G) models come out as to them it is a "new" model. By then (June) RIM should have some of the major shortcomings in better shape.

RIM's big knock is they will never top Apple's AppStore. Apple has too big a lead in the publics eye. a benchmark many use are which Apps are available. Right now Playbook is missing native apps that are deemed vital:

Hulu, Netflix, Facebook and other big names would go a long way. I'd love to see RIM work out a deal to use Amazon's new cloud media service.

Regardless RIM has the power (and ability) to execute updates over the coming weeks that will only improve Playbook. Outside of a small power button no one stated the hardware wasn't solid outside of the size which is a personal perference. After spending the last year with iPad 1 & 2 it's just too heavy and big for daily use. Great for when your NOT mobile.
    Last edited by Frank Castle; 04-17-11 at 06:43 AM.
    04-17-11 06:09 AM
    I'm thinking many will revist when the 3G (4G) models come out as to them it is a "new" model. By then (June) RIM should have some of the major shortcomings in better shape.

RIM's big knock is they will never top Apple's AppStore. Apple has too big a lead in the publics eye. a benchmark many use are which Apps are available. Right now Playbook is missing native apps that are deemed vital:

Hulu, Netflix, Facebook and other big names would go a long way. I'd love to see RIM work out a deal wot use Amazon's new cloud media service.

Regardless RIM has the power (and ability) to execute updates over the coming weeks that will only improve Playbook. Outside of a small power button no one stated the hardware wasn't solid outside of the size which is a personal perference. After spending the last year with iPad 1 & 2 it's just too many heavy and big for daily use. Great for when your NOT mobile.
    Dude- hulu is in the bag!!!
    Netflix is what I want...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-17-11 06:16 AM
    Of the 25+ Million iPad owners not many are wishing it was 7".

That's the biggest problem RIM has with the Playbook if they want the mass market.

Second issue will be the price needs to be lower to attract price concerned iPad shoppers.

Third issue is the market is about to get flooded with tablets,
    of note a 7" wifi Galaxy Tab for $150 less than the Playbook and
    a 10" Asus Transformer 3.0 Android tablet for $100 less than the Playbook,
    then HP's WebOS 10", Toshibas, Dells, etc.

Think about how the $500 7" Playbook will look in a line of tablets at Bestbuy to non BB users?
    Last edited by Sonic77; 04-17-11 at 06:32 AM.
    04-17-11 06:23 AM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD