Anyone knows if the Playbook will support a version of BB desktop manager/apploader so you can backup/restore data, install OS, back up apps etc? Personally I think it would be freaking great if it did..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-11 04:22 AM
    I think it would but nothing concrete on this yet.

03-26-11 04:26 AM
    the PB will operate basically the same as a BB when it comes to the DM on the PC i think.

If you mean with DM run on the PB then no i dont think that will be happening.
    03-26-11 04:37 AM
    The Playbook will be using BBDM from your PC.

03-26-11 09:52 AM
    Yep been shown in a video at sxsw, uses desktop manager.
    03-26-11 12:03 PM
    Yep been shown in a video at sxsw, uses desktop manager.
    And I'll add- "Uses" not "IS" a DM.
    03-26-11 12:07 PM
    Is a Desktop Manager absolutely necessary? I'm running Linux, and I don't like using Windows, however, if I have to, I will install it in a Virtual Machine.
    03-26-11 12:44 PM
    I wondered this to. I hope there is a mass storage mode.
    03-26-11 12:45 PM
    yes you are going to need desktop manager for some things i think, there is mass storage as far as i know but you still need the DM for backup and "syncing" of something if you choose

you might be able to get away with not using DM since the contacts and such are controlled by the phone.
    Last edited by howarmat; 03-26-11 at 12:49 PM.
    03-26-11 12:47 PM
    For those that don't want to use it, then maybe online backup of things. But with a tethered blackberry, then just store you stuff on the playbook in folders you make and then keep copes on desktop or network drive.
    03-26-11 12:51 PM
    Is a Desktop Manager absolutely necessary? I'm running Linux, and I don't like using Windows, however, if I have to, I will install it in a Virtual Machine.
    While I can't speak for the PlayBook, for my Torch Desktop Manager is only for backups/syncing/tethering, and backups you can do with third-party apps (or just copy everything to a backup folder), tethering you could do just as well with a third-party app, and the PlayBook probably won't be able to do it until summer, and syncing isn't a requirement, it just makes it easier on the CPU to optimize movies as they're being transferred instead of in real time (it could just be the files I'd used though, and from the looks of it that shouldn't be a problem on the PlayBook)

Just my 0.02

03-26-11 01:03 PM
    Yes it uses BBDM.
    03-26-11 06:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD