It's a USB external hard drive for PC only; so if I buy an adapter micro usb to usb and can plug my EHD in my playbook, will it read it?

Thank you.
    04-22-11 01:05 PM
    I was thinking the exact same thing earlier this morning....instead of hdd (because they have power requirements) I was thinking a flash drive
    04-22-11 01:06 PM
    not at this time...maybe in feature upgrades it will
    04-22-11 01:11 PM
    Hopefully in the future
    04-22-11 01:12 PM
    Do you guys believe it is possible? and is there any website or newsletters anything, I could subscribe to in order to see what updates are being made?!
    I really want one but at the moment it would not really satisfy my needs
    04-22-11 01:26 PM
    Crackberry.com is your best friend for updates on PlayBook. As for reading external HDD from your PB, I still think it's possible but not anytime soon.
    04-22-11 01:28 PM
    So I was at the library and this guy with a playbook told me he could plug a micro usb key and play movies out of it... I dont see why with an adapter I cant use my external hard drive and play movies... unless he is lying or an *****
    04-22-11 03:18 PM
    because the PB doesnt have USB OTG support for it yet. he was mis informed or lying
    04-22-11 03:28 PM
    he told me he plugged his micro usbkey in and would just open adobe for example and go find his files...
    04-22-11 03:47 PM
    nope not happening...and what adobe? adobe reader?
    04-22-11 04:51 PM
    he told me he plugged his micro usbkey in and would just open adobe for example and go find his files...
    Maybe you were mistaken and he had an Android device, ie. Tab or Xoom
    04-22-11 05:32 PM
    nah lol im not mistaken it was a playbook i talked to him and used it with my own hand. THAT BEING SAID, I went to futureshop and there was a blackberry representative there so I asked him and he didnt know so he call his boss, a VP of something and he said at the moment NOT possible, it will need some sort of program most likely through the AppWorld... so I guess we just have to wait until someone decides to make it happen!
    04-22-11 10:08 PM
    The only way that I believe to connect the PB<>USB drive is:
    use the original PB>USB cable with a USB A Female <> A Female Adapter / Coupler. Then you can plug the USB drive into the PB's cable. I don't have one, therefore I could not try it out.

Though the PB's Bridge in final form, we will be able to access the BB phone's microSD card. If there is a pdf file it can be opened using the PB's Adobe Reader (but not yet).
    04-25-11 07:55 PM
    Will it be possible with the release of 2.0?
    12-01-11 10:20 AM
    Will it be possible with the release of 2.0?
    That's what I would like to know too. I had a cheapo Android tablet before I finally got my PlayBook and it was usable with a flash drive and I really hope that this feature comes to it in the OS2.0 update. Just the ease of plugging in external storage without the use of my PC would make the PB an even better "no compromise" computing experience.
    hauger likes this.
    12-01-11 12:04 PM
    The only way that I believe to connect the PB<>USB drive is:
    use the original PB>USB cable with a USB A Female <> A Female Adapter / Coupler. Then you can plug the USB drive into the PB's cable. I don't have one, therefore I could not try it out.

Though the PB's Bridge in final form, we will be able to access the BB phone's microSD card. If there is a pdf file it can be opened using the PB's Adobe Reader (but not yet).

you can get USB A female <> micro USB male adapters. no need for a cable.

@lanctot: that guy was lying or misinformed. It is possible in that the CPU supports the technology, but the Playbook OS does not (as yet). I dont think it will be available in the initial release of OS 2.0 but hopefully not too long afterwards.
    12-01-11 02:32 PM
    That will really make portability handy. I just found a 1TB portable HD, and found a hardcore rugged box for it. I record a lot of videos (I am a musician)... to have an (otterbox) like protection for an external HD I mean talk about magic... I can transfer gbs of film to the HD in a few minutes on the go (hopefully they have smartly considered the 3.0)... Really awesome also for Nature trips. You record with that beautiful 1080p from your playbook and keep transferring to the HD...

I had a trip to North Carolina recently and man I know what I am talking about! A small rugged backpack, your PB in the otterbox and this rugged HD... you are unstoppable!
    Last edited by laintencion32; 12-26-11 at 03:20 PM.
    12-26-11 03:18 PM
    GoFlex Satellite Wireless | Seagate

Hopefully this will eventually come to the playbook, a wireless hard drive!
    12-26-11 06:45 PM
    GoFlex Satellite Wireless | Seagate

Hopefully this will eventually come to the playbook, a wireless hard drive!
    That drive has been used with the pb - there are one or two threads on it.
    sandra023 likes this.
    12-26-11 08:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD