I haven't heard anything about whether the PlayBook will get cascades apps before it gets upgraded to BB10. Has this been mentioned yet?
    05-01-12 07:46 PM
    i think it will be updated to 2.1 before it gets BB10 but will it have cascades..not sure
    05-01-12 07:51 PM
    We asked this today. We were told the answer is no, at least for third party apps (for most users.) As developers, we cannot submit a Cascades app for Playbook to AppWorld until the Playbook has BB10, which will be after the phone.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 05-01-12 at 09:06 PM.
    tindoeshek, Heavens1 and Akuji_ism like this.
    05-01-12 07:52 PM
    We asked this today. We were told the answer is no at least for third party apps (for most users.) As developers, we cannot submit a Cascades app for Playbook to AppWorld until the Playbook has BB10, which will be after the phone.
    Any insight into when the BB10 phones (consumer/retail) will hit the market?
    05-01-12 07:57 PM
    Wow, that is highly disappointing. I really thought we were going to have some high quality apps coming soon.
    05-01-12 07:57 PM
    Wow, that is highly disappointing. I really thought we were going to have some high quality apps coming soon.
    I was really hoping for some cascades love myself. I guess I'll hold out for a bb10 phone later this year. Tough to keep the level of excitement high from bbworld to launch later this year.
    05-01-12 08:42 PM
    Any insight into when the BB10 phones (consumer/retail) will hit the market?
    Nothing new beyond "later this year".

But this Cascades stuff in kind of fun! I've been ******** and whining about wanting Cascades for a year. It's so nice to finally be playing with it!

I've made quite a bit of progress today on the Tumblr app I'm working on. Very straightforward. Again, I've already found several bugs which I will report, and there are still major holes. In fact, I wouldn't call this a "beta" if I were RIM. I would call it a developer preview or an early alpha. "Beta" is a major exaggeration. But if you look at it as a developer preview, it's quite nice!
    Last edited by app_Developer; 05-01-12 at 09:12 PM.
    docfitch likes this.
    05-01-12 09:07 PM
    We asked this today. We were told the answer is no, at least for third party apps (for most users.) As developers, we cannot submit a Cascades app for Playbook to AppWorld until the Playbook has BB10, which will be after the phone.
    Isn't Pacemaker coming to AppWorld soon?

On a similar note, did you happen to ask what Playbook owners can expect in the meantime?

Any word on background services?

The promised Cascades-based browser (hopefully, with some basic features added)?

Thanks.
    05-01-12 10:03 PM
    Isn't Pacemaker coming to AppWorld soon?
    Maybe. It wasn't clear when that will be. In any case, it's clear Pacemaker is a special case, using a subset of Cascades. And putting 2+2 together, apparently a static build of whatever subset they used.

On a similar note, did you happen to ask what Playbook owners can expect in the meantime?
    We didn't ask that.

Any word on background services?
    Not that we heard. However, they apparently did have a slide or two on application lifecycle and what you really should and should not be doing in the background. There was some discussion about the impact of background apps on what the user is trying to accomplish in the foreground, which they acknowledged is more important (especially on a phone). So I'm taking that as a positive that they are graduating past the silly boy racer "look everything runs at once!" towards a more mature and well thought out approach on processes for BB10. I would assume that will include services.

The promised Cascades-based browser (hopefully, with some basic features added)?

Thanks.
    Not that we've heard. Although, as developers we dont' care about that so I didn't send that question to our guy there.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 05-01-12 at 11:06 PM.
    kennyliu, redk, tindoeshek and 2 others like this.
    05-01-12 10:10 PM
    So no cascades apps until BB10 eh? That kinda sux. I am pretty happy with it now, but would really like to see some really cool stuff on the PlayBook sooner rather than later.
    05-01-12 11:12 PM
    Playbook already has Cascades. Just make a BB10 app, add the cascades libs to the lib dir in your app. It runs on Playbook!
    05-01-12 11:16 PM
    So Rim is or will be purposely holding back development of apps for the pb? Anything else they'd like to do to cripple the platform? So Native apps for the pb will still not be able to utilize this "fabulous" but locked away development kit. So the big name apps for the pb that we are told are pending release of cascades will not be forthcoming. Another 6 to 8 months? Rim's idea of "just around the corner"?

I do hope someone misspoke. That seems absolutely nuts but conceivable.
    kennyliu likes this.
    05-02-12 12:09 AM
    Thanks for that.

Would it be possible for you to start a thread with some 'inside' information?

Because I know that the CB team will have all the MAIN points covered COMPLETELY, but I feel like there are a lot of questions that they are leaving out just because they are already answering so many other ones. I think it would be a great thing to start.

If i start one will you post in it?

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...49#post7365849

I hope you can help!
    Last edited by FSeverino; 05-02-12 at 01:24 AM.
    05-02-12 12:50 AM
    so the timeline will be

playbook 1 wifi @ 2.0.1 (current) - Q2 2012 - possible small updates and trickle of new apps

playbook 2 4G/3G on 2.1 (Q2?) - Native BBM, Native BBM group, more functionality, BIS/BES support

BB10 phone - Q3 - cascade/TAT & new ecosystem

playbook 1 & 2 updated to BB10 - Q4 2012 - new ecosystem with applications customised for tablet
    so we're looking at Q4 2012 - from September (earliest) to December (latest)
    05-02-12 01:29 AM
    Playbook already has Cascades. Just make a BB10 app, add the cascades libs to the lib dir in your app. It runs on Playbook!
    Yeah, but they can't be submitted to App World apparently, so it can only be done in apps for side loading for now.
    05-02-12 03:00 AM
    Yea.. just make the app and publish it on your personal website.. Sideload it.. unless you want to be paid for your app..
    05-02-12 03:47 AM
    Yeah, but they can't be submitted to App World apparently, so it can only be done in apps for side loading for now.
    Yeah you can side-load bb10 apps with this method though (if you have the .bar). Just sucks for developers.
    05-02-12 03:51 AM
    this whole sideloading thing is damaging rim's credibility. its an invitation to piracy..hence the lack of interest of developers. its a stupid option on a platform that excels on security and un-hackability.
    05-02-12 04:23 AM
    Sideloading isn't an issue at all if they really cared all they have to do is link your appworld purchases to your ID, probably solved.

I also don't see how it would be scaring developers away considering the fact that if they develop for absolutely any other platform they are still be equally susceptible to piracy. A developer who doesn't develop because of piracy...doesn't develop.
    Last edited by Khameleon05; 05-02-12 at 05:01 AM.
    05-02-12 04:40 AM
    this whole sideloading thing is damaging rim's credibility. its an invitation to piracy..hence the lack of interest of developers. its a stupid option on a platform that excels on security and un-hackability.
    Complete and utter nonsense. Android always has and always will support side loading of any APK you want. Rooting is required to extract APKs from apps installed via Google Play Store, but no hack of any kind is required to install said APKs on the vast majority of devices. (A few have carrier imposed restrictions preventing installing apps from anywhere other than Play Store, and in those cases root can be necessary to remove that restriction, but even then a temporary root is usually sufficient for just the period of time while the restriction is removed).

Don't accept this as a valid reasons developers won't develop for PB, it doesn't stop them on Android. And iOS devices can all, or nearly all, be jailbroken very easily and once jailbroken it is also possible to pirate apps if one so desires. iOS is still probably the most developed for mobile platform, despite the ease with which people can and do pirate for the platform.
    05-02-12 05:57 AM
    Thanks for that.

Would it be possible for you to start a thread with some 'inside' information?

Because I know that the CB team will have all the MAIN points covered COMPLETELY, but I feel like there are a lot of questions that they are leaving out just because they are already answering so many other ones. I think it would be a great thing to start.

If i start one will you post in it?

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...49#post7365849

I hope you can help!
    Sure, I'm not sure what else people are interested in. We're asking questions in the RIM "ask experts" room at the Hilton.

So far the information we're getting seems a little different from what xsacha is saying, so who knows if we're getting good data there. We asked a dev relations guy again today about Cascades on Playbook.
    05-02-12 12:37 PM
    Hello folks. Is the TAT note app available in App World for the playbook?

I have been looking at a simple note taking app and the one on the link looks like the perfect one.

Please let me know. Thanks in advance
    07-11-12 10:25 PM
    Rooting is required to extract APKs from apps installed via Google Play Store
    I'm not sure about paid apps (No, I haven't ever bought an app from the Play Store because I hadn't seen anything really worth buying except maybe TB Pro) but any app which you install can be backed up as an app using ES File Explorer. I've done that without root and with root. It doesn't even ask for root permission.

Even without that, it should be easily done. The apks of installed apps are stored openly in the data partition. I don't think you need root access to access them (Through adb).
    07-11-12 11:49 PM
    I'm not sure about paid apps (No, I haven't ever bought an app from the Play Store because I hadn't seen anything really worth buying except maybe TB Pro) but any app which you install can be backed up as an app using ES File Explorer. I've done that without root and with root. It doesn't even ask for root permission.

Even without that, it should be easily done. The apks of installed apps are stored openly in the data partition. I don't think you need root access to access them (Through adb).
    I am 99% sure root is required to extract paid apps (which I have done before), I remember reading an article about it before. (It was talking about how with a rooted phone, you could purchase apps, extract them, then use Android Market's refund policy to get your money back, then reinstall them [this was back when they had a 1 day refund period; it has been decreased to 15 mins for this very reason])
    07-12-12 06:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD