I was just thinking how the Blackberry Protect app became recently available to the masses and was wondering could the Playbook also use it........
    03-27-11 10:37 PM
    I think possibly no because of the size of the hdd on the playbook. If it will be available it will probably back up the minimal.
    03-27-11 10:50 PM
    What about the feature were if it is stolen or something, then it give u that opportunity to find it(gps) or alerting it when it not in your possession.
    03-27-11 10:59 PM
    What about the feature were if it is stolen or something, then it give u that opportunity to find it(gps) or alerting it when it not in your possession.
    Don't think so, at least for the wifi-only version. This kind of service requires some kind of "constant" internet connection to be able to send the data to a server so you can see it remotely and be accurate.
    03-27-11 11:32 PM
    I think it will be, atleast the locating service. I'm guessing they released it ahead of the PB to work out any bugs ahead of the PB launch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-11 12:07 AM
    I think it will be, atleast the locating service. I'm guessing they released it ahead of the PB to work out any bugs ahead of the PB launch.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Like Xecutioner88 said, it would need some way of communication. I dont think it would work on the wifi one
    03-28-11 12:22 AM
    I think possibly no because of the size of the hdd on the playbook. If it will be available it will probably back up the minimal.
    The Playbook does not have a hdd,... and my BB Bold have 32GB memorycard and working just fine with Protect. No reason why the Playbook should be kept outside, as long as its connected to BIS either directly or bridged with phone.
    03-28-11 02:21 AM
    You need a PIN for Protect to work fully, and from what we are being told, the WiFi versions will not ship with a PIN at this time anyway...possibly later on with updates and the 3G/4G versions, but who knows.
    03-28-11 12:16 PM
    You need a PIN for Protect to work fully, and from what we are being told, the WiFi versions will not ship with a PIN at this time anyway...possibly later on with updates and the 3G/4G versions, but who knows.
    no, all devices WILL ship with a PIN.

as for the `it`ll need to be connected` arguement, thats a very true one, maybe the location part wont be there, but i guess only time will tell
    03-28-11 12:19 PM
    no, all devices WILL ship with a PIN.
    Where has that been confirmed? I want it to be true, but, haven't seen that confirmed anywhere yet, even RIM hasn't said boo about that.
    03-28-11 03:49 PM
    Where has that been confirmed? I want it to be true, but, haven't seen that confirmed anywhere yet, even RIM hasn't said boo about that.
    back when they showed a WIFI PlayBook doing desktop sync and it said PIN. a PIN is nothing, its just an identifier. this will be needed for Appworld, licenses for apps, BBID and other cool stuff.

also can be seen on this video (by me) at 1:33
    03-28-11 04:24 PM
    Then BBM should work without Bridging a BB phone, which we are being told it won't until they roll out an update later this summer. You see what I'm getting at?
    03-28-11 05:16 PM
    They can make the PIN do whatever they want it to. Just because it has a PIN doesnt mean that it HAS to have BBM, just like an Blackberry has a PIN but doesn't have to have BBM either.

I agree with BBThemes - it's just an identifier at this point, nothing more, nothing less
    03-28-11 05:38 PM
    Then BBM should work without Bridging a BB phone, which we are being told it won't until they roll out an update later this summer. You see what I'm getting at?
    They can make the PIN do whatever they want it to. Just because it has a PIN doesnt mean that it HAS to have BBM, just like an Blackberry has a PIN but doesn't have to have BBM either.

I agree with BBThemes - it's just an identifier at this point, nothing more, nothing less
    thanks, you see what i meant which is good, PIN doesnt mean BBM. im sure as an identifier it`ll have its uses (bbm video chat and OTASL for a start) and that will grow over time
    03-28-11 05:40 PM
    And finally, the BB Cloud will do !
    http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...rticle-693662/
    02-01-12 03:30 AM
    ofcourse BB Protect will be available on the playbook.. soon.. mostly i feel with the os2 update.. infact all of rim apps are going to be available for the pb.. they've launched all of the new phones.. now as they wait on the sales.. all they have left to do is work on the pb.. all hands onboard..
    02-01-12 05:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD