mkv2vob doesn't support just converting to vob. it does .m2ts also.
    Do you have an exhaustive list of available output formats? (it's remarkably hard to find docs for this tool) The .m2ts extension is likely to be recognized.. I'm wondering if a simple rename could do the trick (.mpeg4 or .m4v perhaps).
    04-24-11 02:21 AM
    googled a bit and came across:
    mkv to m4v/mp4

towards the end someone mentions using mkvextract to demux the audio and video streams, and then using mp4box to remux them into an mp4 stream.
    A quick check shows that these are simply demux/mux tools, so there should be no decode/re-encode steps required (ie. quick and with no quality hit).
    I'll give this a quick try momentarily.

also: videohelp.com is a great resource for guides and howtos on media transcoding, etc.
    04-24-11 02:33 AM
    I was able to use mkvextract and ffmpeg to demux and remux an x264/AAC .mkv movie to .mp4.
    There is no decode/encode step, so the quality is identical to the original mkv file, and conversion only took about a minute (1GB file).
    This file plays on the playbook fine.

These are Linux command line tools, but equivalents exist for Windows and OS X.

Maybe in the morning I will throw a howto together for the various platforms.
    04-24-11 03:37 AM
    We need handbrake to be updated with a new profile. That is the app for coversion. But I really wanna see native streaming of mkv. Come on RIM!
    04-24-11 07:31 AM
    I was able to use mkvextract and ffmpeg to demux and remux an x264/AAC .mkv movie to .mp4.
    There is no decode/encode step, so the quality is identical to the original mkv file, and conversion only took about a minute (1GB file).

a how to for windows would be great. Currently im using handbrake to go from mkv to mp4 but it takes a long tome!o
    04-24-11 07:33 AM
    We need handbrake to be updated with a new profile. That is the app for coversion. But I really wanna see native streaming of mkv. Come on RIM!
    Heh.. VLC for QNX already exists.. We really do just have to wait for RIM. The QNX version of VLC needs the NDK to compile against...and we don't have the NDK. So technically, the capabilities are already there.... The ball really is in RIM's court here and right now, they're holding.
    bluemax413 likes this.
    04-24-11 09:45 PM

Alright, so I have an MKV with x264 video and AAC audio. I used MKVEXTRACT to separate the video and audio streams. I then re-muxed using ffmpeg to an mp4 container. When I do this, audio and video play fine on the computer, but on the Playbook, I get no audio. Did you run into this at all?

Thanks.
    04-25-11 07:17 AM
    Alright, so I have an MKV with x264 video and AAC audio. I used MKVEXTRACT to separate the video and audio streams. I then re-muxed using ffmpeg to an mp4 container. When I do this, audio and video play fine on the computer, but on the Playbook, I get no audio. Did you run into this at all?

Thanks.
    hmm.. didn't have that problem, however it wasn't an HD mkv file. I can give that a shot tonight. I tested with a smaller file so I could get results quick
    04-25-11 10:02 AM
    I agree that just about every mkv I've seen is h.264 based. How do you change the container from mkv to, say, avi without re-encoding the entire video?
    Here is the solution:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/al...-files-606953/
    04-25-11 10:59 AM
    Awesome! Thanks for this find! Judge Dredd in BR here I come!
    04-25-11 11:44 AM
    copying a test HD file via wi fi while I type! Fingers crossed.
    04-25-11 11:52 AM
    Oh, wow! It looks SO GOOD! thank you for this!
    04-25-11 11:58 AM

Thanks.
    FYI, I just re-muxed a high-def mkv and it played okay.
    It was a 720p h264 video stream:
    Stream #0.0: Video: h264, yuv420p, 1280x720, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1200k tbn, 47.95 tbc

Your audio problem is likely due to the AAC track being 5.1-channel, or an unsupported bitrate, etc. I ran into the same problem remuxing another mkv. Problem could be that it is an ADTS AAC 5.1 stream:

Extracting track 1 with the CodecID 'V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC' to the file 'output.x264'. Container format: AVC/h.264 elementary stream
    Extracting track 2 with the CodecID 'A_AAC' to the file 'output.aac'. Container format: raw AAC file with ADTS headers

You could try downsampling the AAC file before remuxing with ffmpeg.
    mahen915 likes this.
    04-25-11 09:15 PM
    FYI, I just re-muxed a high-def mkv and it played okay.
    It was a 720p h264 video stream:
    Stream #0.0: Video: h264, yuv420p, 1280x720, 23.98 fps, 23.98 tbr, 1200k tbn, 47.95 tbc

Your audio problem is likely due to the AAC track being 5.1-channel, or an unsupported bitrate, etc. I ran into the same problem remuxing another mkv. Problem could be that it is an ADTS AAC 5.1 stream:

Extracting track 1 with the CodecID 'V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC' to the file 'output.x264'. Container format: AVC/h.264 elementary stream
    Extracting track 2 with the CodecID 'A_AAC' to the file 'output.aac'. Container format: raw AAC file with ADTS headers

You could try downsampling the AAC file before remuxing with ffmpeg.
    Xenon mkv gives you the option of downmixing to stereo, which is what i did.
    04-25-11 09:17 PM
    Xenon mkv gives you the option of downmixing to stereo, which is what i did.
    I think that's Windows only. I'm on Linux, but I think I have it figured out.
    Last edited by Kill3r.Conc3ptz; 04-26-11 at 09:01 PM.
    04-26-11 08:59 PM
    How are you accessing the Playbook with Linux? (Off topic but i'm curious!)
    04-26-11 10:35 PM
    If anyone using a Mac was wondering how to really easily remux HD .mkvs for the playbook (1080p or 720p), theres a program called MKVTools that does it for you. It creates playbook friendly .m4vs in just a few minutes.

Download MKVtools

It has a nice feature that allows you to retain the surround sound (5.1 DD or DTS for example), but also add an AAC stereo audio track that the Playbook recognises. This means you can keep the surround sound in the file for watching the movie on your home theater, but also enjoy it on the playbook, without the need for two files...

Hope that helps!
    04-27-11 05:22 AM
    How are you accessing the Playbook with Linux? (Off topic but i'm curious!)
    The built in smb server on the Playbook. For once I'm glad RIM did something that didn't rely on Mac and Windows only. I have not had to once plug my Playbook into the computer directly to do anything. Everything is just so easy
    04-27-11 05:59 AM
    I had luck with:

mkvextract tracks source.mkv 1: output.vid 2: output.aud (remove the spaces after the colons.. I was getting emoticons)
    ffmpeg -i output.vid -i output.aud -vcodec copy -acodec copy output.mp4

However as noted elsewhere, there have been problems with AAC/ADTS audio tracks. A downmix step may be needed.
    I tried getting ffmpeg to downmix, but ran into some speedbumps and moved on to other things. sox or mencoder or faad may help.

(also, just realized that this is the same thread we discussed this in several days ago :P )
    Last edited by JustAnotherBeerbot; 04-27-11 at 09:01 AM. Reason: additional note..
    04-27-11 08:57 AM
    what settings is everyone using in handbrake?
    05-05-11 12:03 AM
    HERE IS WHAT I DID --

Used 'Files and Folders' to rename the mkv to .f4V (I am using an flv player too) and then opened the .mkv file using the 'Files and Folder' app itself Try it out . NO NEED TO CONVERT.

Here are the codec details -
    video - H264-MPEG 4 AAC
    audio - MPEG AAC
    06-03-12 11:26 AM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD