Will the PlayBook's UI change to look like BB10 on the phones or will it stay like it is on the PlayBook, but get the Cascade apps and other behind the scene changes?
    06-15-12 10:39 AM
    It will look like BB10 phones.
    06-15-12 10:43 AM
    ^^^ That would be an unwelcome change for me. I would not want an interface optimized for one hand operation on the PB.
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    06-15-12 10:44 AM
    It will look like BB10 phones.
    Has this been confirmed by RIM? I haven't seen anything and have been wondering this myself. I would really rather they didn't go the same route as Apple of "use the same interface but on a bigger screen". Tablets are different to phones, they are used differently, they need a different UI (not that the current PB UI is incredible).
    kennyliu and app_Developer like this.
    06-15-12 11:11 AM
    Before complaining why don't you wait to see what gets released.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    masqueofhastur likes this.
    06-15-12 11:14 AM
    Before complaining why don't you wait to see what gets released.
    No one is "complaining". Two of us said we would not like for the interface to be the same. I asked if it has been said it will be. Complaining would be "RIM is so stupid for using this useless interface on the playbook" or something similar. We were saying, "if it happens, we won't like it"
    06-15-12 11:21 AM
    Almost all UIs evolve. I would expect that BB10 moves forward from the PlayBook. There's nothing wrong with the PlayBook just like there is nothing wrong with the OS7.1 UI but that has had minor tweaks (not all of them good) since OS5.

I'd expect BB10's UI to be a bit different from the PlayBook but not massively different.

Who knows?

That's the fun of "wait and see.".
    masqueofhastur and BigMont86 like this.
    06-15-12 11:44 AM
    I think it will change some. The trend is ms, apple etc all wanting basically the same UI on everything assuming people will be less confused going from their computer to phone etc. Not sure about myself. I had little difficulty using my bb being different from my computer.
    06-15-12 11:45 AM
    I dont think it will change between BB10 Phones and Tablets...as KBZ said RIM just like Apple wants the same UI on all devices to create a sense of unity and streamlined use, so anyone who has a BB10 phone and is thinking about getting a tablet, will feel at home getting a PlayBook because its the same experience, and vice versa, anyone with a BB10 tablet looking to upgrade their phone may find themselves instantly without thought buying a BB10 phone.

This a where the future of mobile devices and all devices is heading, people do like choice, but the majority and average consumer (as seen from Apple in the past couple years) like having the same experience and people who love the phone will 95% be more likely to purchase the iPad, and BlackBerry will be the same way. Also with the same UI it ensures that applications will run on both and all devices rather than developers having to choose which BB OS to develop for, this way if you have a word document app on your phone you can save it and then open it via tablet for a larger screen.

This is a great idea for RIM and this was a major issue with BBOS Java that they had many different screen sizes and layouts, and this is where they are trying to simplify the experience to create a more powerful streamlined experience for the end-user.

That being said, phones are portrait by default, and PlayBook is landscape, so I am interested to see how they will layout the homescreen on the PlayBook. Also on the phone the bottom dock has the "phone" button, which obviously the PlayBook can not do, so they may change the bottom dock for the Tablet, or we will see that dock change completely before the release of BB10, personally I think they will allow customization of that bottom dock, so you can choose which apps you would like to have there.
    06-15-12 11:53 AM
    The interfaces don't need to identical to be familiar.

On iOS, Springboard is basically the same on iPad and iPhone, with some differences, including the fact that iPad's springboard supports landscape orientation.

But other Apple apps like mail, and music are quite a bit different actually between iPhone and iPad, but still familiar enough that a user can go between them easily. The better developers are doing the same, making a different UI for the iPad that is still a comfortable transition for their iPhone users.
    06-15-12 01:10 PM
    I agree with the others, although you do need some cohersion and similarities to make the whole software system flow, I would like it to be a little different to have a different experience, not to mention they have different purposes
    06-15-12 01:33 PM
    I hope they don't use an identical UI. I love the look of the BB10 UI on the smaller screen, but I feel it would take away from the larger PlayBook screen.

To be honest, if they just cascadize the current PB UI and core apps, I think it will be perfect. It's already pretty close. But cascading everything would make it so damn smooth.
    Last edited by anastasiophan; 06-24-12 at 03:03 PM.
    06-22-12 02:14 PM
    Personally, I think it's a great idea to bring the same familiarity between the two and make them work the same throughout.

However, they will obviously scale and arrange things differently depending on device. With the release BB10 phone looking like a 4.2", it's fairly large where however the UI is, it should not be too hard to have the PlayBook adapt that.

Less Adobe AIR, more native code will make it much more fluid where most of you will welcome the changes IMO. I like the current Tablet OS just as much as any of you, but the more contemporary, consistent look of BB10 will be very interesting.
    06-22-12 02:51 PM
    They better be the same and all phones better be the same or else we'll be back to square one with no one wanting to develop apps cause there are 754 different kinds of phones...
    masqueofhastur and ..Steve.. like this.
    06-22-12 03:09 PM
    I think it will be a mixture of both BB10 phone UI and the current Tablet form. Probably something similar to what Microsoft is trying to do with Windows Phone 8, because they are bringing metro to their mobile os but it's a little modified for the phone. All in all I think BB10 is going to be awesome !
    MasterOfBinary likes this.
    06-22-12 06:49 PM
    I think the PlayBook could benefit from a UI redesign. Nothing major, just a bit of polish in the general interaction; buttons, scrolling, etc.

New features like peek and flow could work just as well on the tablet like they do on the phone.

Tablets are supposed to have more real estate. Even the gi-normous Galaxy Note behaves like a phone because at 5" it's not big enough.

Controlling the PlayBook with one hand would not be terrible as long as we have the option to chose between layouts optimized for tablets and phone.

What I look forward is the general OS revamp. Better stock apps with the option to replace them with apps downloaded from the App Store. Locking apps and certain pieces of information. cross-functioning information like address, twitter accounts (OS7.1 and prior already recognize @names as twitter accounts).
    06-22-12 07:52 PM
    I think it will be a mixture of both BB10 phone UI and the current Tablet form. Probably something similar to what Microsoft is trying to do with Windows Phone 8, because they are bringing metro to their mobile os but it's a little modified for the phone. All in all I think BB10 is going to be awesome !
    Agree. It can't be exactly the same, but I don't think it would be a whole lot different either.
    06-22-12 10:58 PM
    I think the PlayBook could benefit from a UI redesign. Nothing major, just a bit of polish in the general interaction; buttons, scrolling, etc.
    Yes of course it changes, it cant be the same ! I'll add a DEMO link today with some BB10_UI samples for your PB

Edit: the link with some (new) native UI ; http://html5apps.vacau.com/bbui some are BB10 demos and are only (fully) supported by the Dev Alpha
    Last edited by jeroen_13; 06-23-12 at 04:16 AM.
    gregorylkelly and Thunderbuck like this.
    06-23-12 03:32 AM
    They better be the same and all phones better be the same or else we'll be back to square one with no one wanting to develop apps cause there are 754 different kinds of phones...
    I think you missed the point of the question. You can have different OS UI elements without having any other differences when it comes to app compatability. Different OS layouts for the PB and BB10 phones could still have a one app fits all style.
    06-24-12 03:07 PM
    I don't know why anyone would simply say "it will be the same as the phones" unless they're simply making masses of assumptions in that statement. It will not be exactly the same.

Heck, one big reason the PlayBook won't get BB10 until after the phones do -- if not THE reason -- is that they won't by then have put in the resources to adjust the user interface (including elements of Cascades) to work well on the physically larger, landscape-mode-default, often-held-with-both-hands, lower pixel density screen of the tablets.

It's actually certain that the UI will NOT look just like the phones, and will certainly be "tuned" differently for the tablet experience.

It will, however, share many design elements, the general Cascades look-and-feel, and lots of the same capabilities of the updated system apps (though not necessarily all, of course).

Simple example to back up the above: at the BB10 Jam in Orlando, one of the leading TAT designers noted that the "action bar" at the bottom of the screen would need to be adjusted for the PlayBook so that it didn't take up as big a proportion of screen as it does on the Dev Alpha. I seem to recall he mentioned several other such changes. (This was probably in response to my question about why they weren't going to provide us with a beta of Cascades on the PlayBook any time soon.)

Based on what I've heard, I think you can trust that by the time BB10 makes it onto the PlayBooks (I'm guessing not till end of year at the earliest, at this point), it will have been tweaked suitably and will provide us with an excellent tablet experience, different to in some ways but generally reminiscent of the phone experience.
    06-24-12 07:49 PM
    Yes of course it changes, it cant be the same ! I'll add a DEMO link today with some BB10_UI samples for your PB

Edit: the link with some (new) native UI ; http://html5apps.vacau.com/bbui some are BB10 demos and are only (fully) supported by the Dev Alpha
    Those samples totally ROCK! Thanks!
    06-24-12 07:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD