Maybe not. It seems the OS does not currently support a clipboard.

Re: Copy / Paster support in Playbook possible?? - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    03-07-11 01:23 PM
    I would hope that RIM has learned from all these products that get released without copy and paste functionality that it makes those companies look bad. And RIM doesn't have the reality distortion field that Apple had when the iPhone didn't have this. This is a basic function that people expect to have in a modern phone or tablet. What good would it be to have all these apps open only to not be able to copy/paste from one app to another?
    03-07-11 01:36 PM
    What's the deal with all these as software evolves or added later going on with the PB.

Kind of surprising if true that copy & paste won't be there
    03-07-11 01:46 PM
    So, in the thread originally quoted above, there was a clear answer pointing to the early signs of copy/paste functionality present already in the February build that was given to developers in the simulator.

I really can't fathom how anyone can translate that into "no copy/paste". Even if what was given to devs was the latest at the time (and it wasn't), they've had many weeks to build on that functionality.

Now maybe it won't be polished enough by launch, for some reason. There's just no evidence to suggest it, so no need for a heart attack.
    03-07-11 02:04 PM
    Hopefully you can highlight text by dragging your finger across it and holding down on the words to get a pop-up screen with copy/paste etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-11 03:19 PM
    Hopefully you can highlight text by dragging your finger across it and holding down on the words to get a pop-up screen with copy/paste etc.
    That would be just a tad awkward, given that in many situations you'd be starting a swipe/scroll operation when you began that drag. (This applies to read-only text, not text editor controls.)

Within a text input field, where scrolling is likely handled with an explicit scroll bar or similar control, it will likely work the way you describe.
    03-12-11 12:15 PM
    there has to be cut/copy/paste on this. no way rim is that lame
    03-12-11 12:22 PM
    Just as a follow up, I think this is still another unanswered question. Nobody has shown that there is a cut paste function that works across apps. I'm sure a few apps might support this within the app itself, but I believe this remains an open question across apps.

If you get an email with a tracking number, can you cut and paste it into your browser to track? I don't think so.

Let's not forget to dial in on this the next time someone get a chance to do a hands on - Kevin?
    03-23-11 05:47 PM
    I think it supports some pretty cool cut/paste. Read: Highlighting text - UI Guidelines - BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet - 1.0 Beta

This talks about the User Interface elements of the Playbook for developers for when they create applications. I particularly like, "Alternatively, users can highlight a block of text by touching the screen in two locations at the same time. ".

I would assume you could paste into any text field element in any app. Cutting a photo probably will only work in the main app... or maybe it can be used across apps to?

That whole document is a nice read to figure out how you use the bezel (screen surround) with the Playbook for actions.
    sf49ers likes this.
    03-23-11 06:36 PM

This talks about the User Interface elements of the Playbook for developers for when they create applications. I particularly like, "Alternatively, users can highlight a block of text by touching the screen in two locations at the same time. ".
    like cut copy paste on the touchscreen BB`s then (makes sense).

edit: just tried on sim and works
    Last edited by BBThemes; 03-23-11 at 07:04 PM.
    03-23-11 06:59 PM
    like cut copy paste on the touchscreen BB`s then (makes sense).
    Hrmmm... Just tried it. I didn't know you could do that on a Torch. That's pretty cool. Makes more sense on a bigger screen though.
    03-23-11 07:02 PM
    Hrmmm... Just tried it. I didn't know you could do that on a Torch. That's pretty cool. Makes more sense on a bigger screen though.
    yes although i find i use alt+trackpad more on the torch as its more precise
    03-23-11 07:05 PM
    yes although i find i use alt+trackpad more on the torch as its more precise
    Ya, that's normally how I do it too. It also explains why the start/stop copy tags show up when I'm not expecting them to (I must inadvertently use two fingers when swiping a page up to read)
    03-23-11 07:10 PM
    isnt that going to interfere with pinch/zoom a little?
    03-23-11 07:12 PM
    isnt that going to interfere with pinch/zoom a little?
    i shouldnt imagine so, your placing your fingers on two static points, not dynamically moving two points. as i said its on current devices and iv never had an issue like that yet
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    03-23-11 07:19 PM
    Sorry, but I find your discovery funny. LOL.

I would be truely shocked if it didn't support cut/copy/paste straight out of the box. Its been a staple feature on BB's for some time. I used to make fun of a coworker with iPhone that he couldn't do it whereas my Storm (1 & 2) could. Then he finally jailbroke his phone and ruined my fun .

Anyway, the PB is supposed to be business friendly. Can't happen without cut/copy/paste. Its a must have!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-11 07:27 PM
    N4BB posted a video taken by a lucky guy that got to try out a PB and record his walk through. While the tag for the video is about seeing App World on the PB, if you fast forward to 5:30, you get to see copy/paste/selecting in Docs to Go - and it looks pretty nice!

http://n4bb.com/5746/video-first-loo...%28N4BB.COM%29
    04-08-11 02:07 PM
    N4BB posted a video taken by a lucky guy that got to try out a PB and record his walk through. While the tag for the video is about seeing App World on the PB, if you fast forward to 5:30, you get to see copy/paste/selecting in Docs to Go - and it looks pretty nice!

http://n4bb.com/5746/video-first-loo...%28N4BB.COM%29
    Yeah when I was watching that part of the video I was worried at first because he was having issues selecting the text, but once he figured out how to do it properly it looked pretty slick. Device looks more and more impressive every video.
    04-08-11 02:17 PM
    Just as a follow up, I think this is still another unanswered question. Nobody has shown that there is a cut paste function that works across apps. I'm sure a few apps might support this within the app itself, but I believe this remains an open question across apps.

If you get an email with a tracking number, can you cut and paste it into your browser to track? I don't think so.

Let's not forget to dial in on this the next time someone get a chance to do a hands on - Kevin?
    Seriously? Because YOU haven't been shown it, it's an "unanswered question"? Give it a rest!
    04-08-11 03:17 PM
    but won't work between apps and won't select all text. try from a web page. even standard typing rules don't work everywhere. double space won't add a period, no auto caps. expecting big things from V2
    02-10-12 07:13 PM

hi, not sure if this has been replied to already but you can cut and paste from the mail the only trick is you can only paste it into the bridge browser.

EDIT - ok so this is not entirely true... what you have to do is hit reply in an email then scroll down to the original text at that point you can select the text to copy... and then paste into the bridge browser.
    Last edited by ingiro; 02-10-12 at 10:35 PM.
    02-10-12 10:05 PM
    but won't work between apps and won't select all text. try from a web page. even standard typing rules don't work everywhere. double space won't add a period, no auto caps. expecting big things from V2
    Actually, there are inconsistent apps. Email and Word-doc will do the auto-caps, etc. Word will even show spelling fixes by tapping on the word.

Text boxes like these on Crackberry - not much help other than the red showing an error.
    02-10-12 11:06 PM
    am i missing something here. the playbook already has the copy, cut and paste feature. i have been using it on a regular. just hold down on the text for a few seconds and a double ended slider which lets you select the text and boxes appear with the option on copy or paste.

even if your browsing and you click and hold hyper link, copy options come up.
    02-10-12 11:38 PM
    yeah you're missing something here... until the last 4 posts, this thread was from last April before the PB was released.

Sheesh... I too was flabergasted... till I finally checked the dates on those posts.

Funny that Kevin allows these old threads to be resuscitated without some type of emphasis on the long gap of time since the last comment was posted.
    02-10-12 11:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD