Hey guys. Thanks for looking on this thread. I appreciate it.

I have a 64gb for $230 at bestbuy.com on order, but I am having 2nd thoughts about keeping it. Sure, the pb will get os 2.0, but will it get any other major updates after that? I know it is ridiculous to be talking an os build that is so far into the future (1.5+ years maybe). But it I think it is a valid question that should be considered especially with Rim's terrible track record. They have consistently over promise and don't deliver. So the os 2.0 might not come with a lot of features that many would consider crucial, which begs the question, do you guys think the current iteration of the pb will get 3.0?

I think no...and I am nervous keeping a device that may or may not get updates in the future that were originally promised at launch. As a consumer, that doesn't give me a lot of confidence in their tablet products.

I am not ragging on rim, but this is a reality that I think that we should all consider given their track record.
    11-22-11 02:40 AM
    Agree with you. Both on it being way off fare into the future if it happens and two...i dont think it will being coming...i can see a 2.5 or so just not a 3.0
    Pearl9100 likes this.
    11-22-11 02:46 AM
    I agree in that there will be minimal updates, but I think that most pb users are really waiting for 3.0, which is why I am rethinking my order. Just a hunch from my experience from being around since the 8100.
    11-22-11 02:52 AM
    My guess is that they'll support the PB for about 3 years. So if they do release 3.0 in that time span then yes I think the PB will get it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-11 02:53 AM
    people always worry about the future too much. I am quite happy with my playbook as is. It renders flash, plays games, browses the net fluently. I would never boy an android or a ipad.
    11-22-11 03:15 AM
    people always worry about the future too much. I am quite happy with my playbook as is. It renders flash, plays games, browses the net fluently. I would never boy an android or a ipad.
    I too would not buy an android tablet or an ipad. I literally have zero interest in those items. You couldn't give them to me because I would just regift them immediately.

And I understand your opinion with people worrying too much about the future. But this case is very different in that the pb lacks many crucial crucial applications and thus people have legitimate concerns about what rim will bring to the pb.
    11-22-11 03:26 AM
    Probably it will. Then again my IBM PC jr can't even run Windows 7.
    11-22-11 04:24 AM
    Buy it for what it can do now. If you are happy with its current state, you will be even happier with whatever OS comes down the road. Don't buy something based on what it "could" get in the future, or you will be disappointed.
    Look at the hundreds of threads started by people that feel let down because they don't have all those things that were promised to be coming "this summer" or "in 60 days" or whatever. If they had based their purchase on what the PlayBook was capable of at the time of its release, they either wouldn't have bought it, or they would be just as happy now as they were day 1.
    robtanz, pigdude, AggreX and 6 others like this.
    11-22-11 04:28 AM
    BB should take a page out of the Apple playbook (no pun intended) and support the current Playbook for as many updates as it takes, hardware permitting. Even the iPhone 3Gs (2009) can be updated with the latest IOS software (5.01).
    11-22-11 05:35 AM
  10. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    BB should take a page out of the Apple playbook (no pun intended) and support the current Playbook for as many updates as it takes, hardware permitting. Even the iPhone 3Gs (2009) can be updated with the latest IOS software (5.01).
    I am sure they will!!! .. so posters should stop fantasizing about unrealistic scenarios and enjoy what they have NOW!! .. The beauty of the Playbook is the OTA updates ... all Playbooks get them as they become available over time!

11-22-11 05:39 AM
    Buy it for what it can do now. If you are happy with its current state, you will be even happier with whatever OS comes down the road. Don't buy something based on what it "could" get in the future, or you will be disappointed.
    Look at the hundreds of threads started by people that feel let down because they don't have all those things that were promised to be coming "this summer" or "in 60 days" or whatever. If they had based their purchase on what the PlayBook was capable of at the time of its release, they either wouldn't have bought it, or they would be just as happy now as they were day 1.
    Very Sound Advice! Applies to more than gadgets... :-)
    11-22-11 05:46 AM

I have a 64gb for $230 at bestbuy.com on order, but I am having 2nd thoughts about keeping it.
    If even buying at the best price ever
    is giving you 2nd thoughts before it arrives
    I'd say its not for you.
    AggreX and Pearl9100 like this.
    11-22-11 05:50 AM

I have a 64gb for $230 at bestbuy.com on order, but I am having 2nd thoughts about keeping it. Sure, the pb will get os 2.0, but will it get any other major updates after that? I know it is ridiculous to be talking an os build that is so far into the future (1.5+ years maybe). But it I think it is a valid question that should be considered especially with Rim's terrible track record. They have consistently over promise and don't deliver. So the os 2.0 might not come with a lot of features that many would consider crucial, which begs the question, do you guys think the current iteration of the pb will get 3.0?

I think no...and I am nervous keeping a device that may or may not get updates in the future that were originally promised at launch. As a consumer, that doesn't give me a lot of confidence in their tablet products.

I am not ragging on rim, but this is a reality that I think that we should all consider given their track record.
    Pearl, If you decide not to keep it, shoot me a PM, because I'd be happy to get a 64gb at that price.

cheers,
    Rob

11-22-11 06:08 AM
    It will get updates. In 2 years or so the battery will no longer take a charge so either you'll have to use it plugged in, replace the battery or replace with a new tablet.
    AggreX likes this.
    11-22-11 06:20 AM
    In two years (i.e almost infinite in web's time scale) you'll probably want to change your device, be it for another BB or not. New featherlight flexible screens, improved autonomy and storage are only two hardware examples of what will probably come very soon ... and 2 years is not soon. So OS is not the only clue to answer your question.

BUT, if you stand to what you wanted when you bought the device (like did with my Bold 9000 for years), then you won't consider upgrading as a must and stand & enjoy.
    AggreX likes this.
    11-22-11 06:20 AM
    No chance it gets 3.0
    11-22-11 06:49 AM
    My PB have the latest official OS and all works just fine. "As is, where is", is enough for me. It will likely even get better with 2.0! Personally, I don't give a 5h1t about 3.0 (or 2.0 for that matter) as long my PB is doing the things I bought it for.

Yes, I do own a iPad2 also and like it very much, but if I have to choose, I will have no 2nd thoughts giving the iPad2 up regardless the updates and upgrades.
    11-22-11 08:43 AM
    what you buy today is old tomorrow
    11-22-11 11:34 AM
    If you find the device useful for a life span of 2 years, buy it, else forget it. Simple.

11-22-11 11:43 AM
    If even buying at the best price ever
    is giving you 2nd thoughts before it arrives
    I'd say its not for you.
    I agree. The more I think about it, the more I don't think that this pb is right for me at this point in time. Mainly because I would use this at the gym (I wouldn't bring my tablet pc because I would be in big trouble if it dropped and lost all my data) but 24 hour fitness doesn't have wifi and I can't bridge since the signal cannot penetrate the building.

Pearl, If you decide not to keep it, shoot me a PM, because I'd be happy to get a 64gb at that price.

cheers,
    Rob

I will let you know what I decide to do.
    11-22-11 12:43 PM
    I give odds at 10:1 that it does get OS 3.0. RIM's accounting for the PlayBook was based on it getting at least 24 months (2 years) of updates. OS 2.0 will come out about 10 months in. Later in 2012 BBX phones will arrive, and I'm almost sure they'll come with BBX 3.0. So that leaves us with 3.0 being released within 18 months. I wouldn't be surprised to see a 4.0 after that still make it to the current PlayBook, but I wouldn't count on it either.

The biggest roadblock to RIM bringing new OSs to old phones have been architectural issues. Older devices didn't get OS 7.0 because they didn't have GPUs. OS 7.0 devices won't get BBX because they don't have the hardware for bezel gestures and they have partitioned internal memory (the single core is not a valid technical justification).

BBX is different on a technical level. It's significantly more modular and therefore easier to create more custom update packages. The hardware is also much more similar to a computer, with fewer things about it that are unique (like BBOS' partitioned memory). The OTA update process also means carriers won't be a roadblock, for either the PlayBook or BBX phones.
    peter9477 likes this.
    11-22-11 01:02 PM
    Correction.. the 3gs can be updated to the latest STRIPPED DOWN variant of the iOS 5.01 for the 3gs..

They are not the same os as the iphone 4s and is missing features found on the new phones.

Apples ploy is to leave our features in each revision to convince consumers to upgrade when the "all new" better phone is released with features all the smart phones have had all ready.

iphone 4 had camera flash and new screen... Yay! the androids and bbs had flashes as far back as the 8300/10 series.

What rim needs to do is capitavate the consumer market and tell them what they want in a phone... And then when they update their products introduce new features that they must have.

Currently BB puts all the features in to there phones (nfc) that has future useability... Its a different concept, but they aren't marketing their products correctly.
    11-22-11 01:15 PM
    You think it'll get Ice Cream Cone? That new Android?
    Pearl9100 likes this.
    11-22-11 01:17 PM
    OS 2.0 will come out about 10 months in.
    I will go on record and say that OS 2.0 will not be out in February, or maybe even March... if it does make it out in February, it will be an empty, watered down update without half of what PB owners are expecting and may as well be an OS 1.x.x update.

11-22-11 01:25 PM
    I too would not buy an android tablet or an ipad. I literally have zero interest in those items. You couldn't give them to me because I would just regift them immediately.

And I understand your opinion with people worrying too much about the future. But this case is very different in that the pb lacks many crucial crucial applications and thus people have legitimate concerns about what rim will bring to the pb.
    Such as?

I keep hearing this... and yet I use my playbook all the time and it serves all manner of vital functions. Strange for something that apparently is so crippled.
    11-22-11 01:26 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD