Well I started to search to see if anything has popped up for RIM but nothing yet. Here is a link that be good to keep an eye on as the days get closer to Super Bowl.

Super Bowl: Who's Buying What in Super Bowl 2011 - Advertising Age - MediaWorks

Udate Febuary 5th:
    Still looking for info on a commercial and I came up on this at Will I Am's twitter, not sure if this has anything to do with the playbook, take it for what it is, not saying he is producing a commercial for blackberry.

From Twitter iamwill:
    Had a long day. press conference, animation edits for the commercials I directed that are airing on the super bowl, and now wardrobe fixes
    7:17 PM Feb 3rd via Twitter for BlackBerry�
    Last edited by espresso1967; 02-05-11 at 02:49 AM.
    01-19-11 10:11 PM
    yeah i think hes right, that guys face was priceless when he said it.
    01-19-11 10:45 PM
    LOL ya and the fact that the term "Playbook" is a football term so it would fit perfectly.
    01-19-11 11:24 PM
    With the name of the device, the Black Eyed Peas halftime show, and the release window all converging at the Super Bowl, it seems to be the perfect storm for a Playbook ad!
    01-20-11 06:32 AM
    It will only make sense if you can preorder it at that time. If RIM gets Amazon, Walmart, Verizon, etc... to setup preorder SKUs so people can jump on the impulse when they see the Super Bowl ad, they could do well with it.

Yes, that does mean I don't think it will be available by Super Bowl Sunday. It makes no sense to spend $1M+ on an ad and have everyone forget about it in the eight or so weeks until the thing is available. However, if you can preorder, folks will do that and then forget about it until it arrives at their door.
    It does seem like the perfect time to release it or maybe even a few weeks after. What you say does make since though about eight weeks people may forget about it but it depends on how RIM does the ad.

Remember how Moto did the droid commercials. You never saw it but they kept building up to them until when it was time to release.

If RIM just wants the Enterprise business then I don't think it will matter too much as the IT guys have it on their radar already. If they want a larger consumer base with the avg mom and pop then they will have to advertise heavily but i don't think they can go toe to toe with the iPad commercial blitz.
    About a month or two before Christmas I saw nothing but iPad commercials quiet a few times twice during the same show.

If the PlayBook drops after the iPad2 it's going to be rough. It will still be a challenge if they drop after the iPad2 announcement because all the main news sites will have something about it on the page.
    01-20-11 07:18 AM
    I don't think RIM want's to go head to head with the iPad2 this go around maybe next year when RIM has some decent market share.

If the rumors of the ipad2 have that super crazy screen res, more memory, dual cores and cameras it's going to get the love from the news sources. Since it still hasn't been made clear. If the PB doesn't do email/calendar or syncs with other services out of the box, that's going to get mentioned. The remark will be "You'll need a BlackBerry phone also to do email" while that may not be 100% accurate it will be enough to shy some people away.
    01-20-11 07:40 AM
    If the playbook does get commercial time during the superbowl, buy stock in RIM and hold it two weeks or so. Historically every company that advertises during the superbowl experiences a spike in stock value for a few weeks afterwards.

I think it would be an excellent time to officially break the news. Will they? Who knows. I gave up trying to figure rim's strategy out years ago. Maybe its because they simply don't have one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-11 10:25 AM
    BestBuy has their first ever SuperBowl commercial set to run in the 3rd quarter. Maybe the PlayBook will have a spot earlier in the game or at halftime with the Black Eyed Peas then in the 3rd BestBuy runs the add that it will be available there.
    01-20-11 11:23 AM
    Maybe Will.I.Am will be holding a PlayBook while they are playing........
    01-20-11 11:39 AM
    It will only make sense if you can preorder it at that time. If RIM gets Amazon, Walmart, Verizon, etc... to setup preorder SKUs so people can jump on the impulse when they see the Super Bowl ad, they could do well with it.

Yes, that does mean I don't think it will be available by Super Bowl Sunday. It makes no sense to spend $1M+ on an ad and have everyone forget about it in the eight or so weeks until the thing is available. However, if you can preorder, folks will do that and then forget about it until it arrives at their door.

No sense to spend 1+ million dollars? Dude, RIM has billions to spend. 1 million to them is absolutely nothing. How many people watch the Superbowl? LOTS of people. 50+ million.

If RIM sold the playbook for $500 it would only take 2000 people to buy the playbook and they will make that 1mill back. If they sold it for $700 it would take 1430 people. I can bet you that at the very least 1430 people who have never even heard of the Playbook will buy it after they see the ad.

Guarantee it!
    01-20-11 11:45 AM
    It would be AWESOME if it aired during the game! I'll be watching....and crossing my fingers. Let's just hope that if it does air, it shows a release date that's not too far off.
    01-20-11 11:57 AM
    No sense to spend 1+ million dollars? Dude, RIM has billions to spend. 1 million to them is absolutely nothing. How many people watch the Superbowl? LOTS of people. 50+ million.

If RIM sold the playbook for $500 it would only take 2000 people to buy the playbook and they will make that 1mill back. If they sold it for $700 it would take 1430 people. I can bet you that at the very least 1430 people who have never even heard of the Playbook will buy it after they see the ad.

Guarantee it!
    Try 100 million viewers. And, most of those viewers are watching commercials unlike any other television event.
    01-20-11 12:27 PM
    Try 100 million viewers. And, most of those viewers are watching commercials unlike any other television event.
    exactly. 99% of the reason i make an effort to watch the entire super bowl is the commercials
    01-20-11 12:35 PM
    If they run commercials during the super bowl I hope they show it off with a playbook version of Madden NFL being played on a big screen lcd.

I hope they've been smart and comp'd someone like EA to have them port some games for release.
    01-20-11 01:18 PM
    It makes no sense to spend $1M+ on an ad and have everyone forget about it in the eight or so weeks until the thing is available.
    Movie trailers make their premier during the Super Bowl all the time. Many of them don't come out until 3+ months later.
    01-20-11 05:00 PM
    RIM has billions to spend.
    Shame then they don't staff a better R&D department. They are behind on everything.

01-28-11 01:37 PM
    I saw some BB ads during the playoffs, so hopefully, they'll do a PB ad for the SB
    01-28-11 02:09 PM
    Shame then they don't staff a better R&D department. They are behind on everything.
    Do you not get bored with these continual content-free one line whines in every thread on this board?
    01-29-11 07:29 AM
    Do you not get bored with these continual content-free one line whines in every thread on this board?
    Kind of like the one you just made?

01-29-11 08:26 AM
    He does kind of have a point tbh. Plus, some content-free one line whines can also be rather humorous.
    01-29-11 09:35 AM
    Ill say this, if RIM doesn't integrate the name "PlayBook" into superbowl advertising it will be the biggest fail ever.

RIM isn't that stupid, I think Kevin hit it bang on

01-29-11 01:18 PM
    Ill say this, if RIM doesn't integrate the name "PlayBook" into superbowl advertising it will be the biggest fail ever.

RIM isn't that stupid, I think Kevin hit it bang on

Agreed. Besides, when is Kevin ever wrong about stuff like this? The bigger question is whether we'll see the Super App "Angry Birds" on it in the commercial.
    01-29-11 08:49 PM
    He does kind of have a point tbh. Plus, some content-free one line whines can also be rather humorous.
    Please detail RIM's R&D department.
    01-29-11 09:02 PM

Guarantee it!
    It has an audience of almost 100 million in the US alone. Not to mention the international broadcast. While some outside markets substitute their own commercials, if they could somehow get the mention in during the halftime show(although rather unlikely) it could guarantee an incredible amount of viewers.
    01-29-11 09:07 PM
    It has an audience of almost 100 million in the US alone. Not to mention the international broadcast. While some outside markets substitute their own commercials, if they could somehow get the mention in during the halftime show(although rather unlikely) it could guarantee an incredible amount of viewers.
    It could get an "accidental" placement in the half-time show. It found its way into a Black-Eyed Peas music video, so I wouldn't rule out a glimpse during their live set at the half.
    01-29-11 10:28 PM
187 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD