Using a playbook for anything productive is very frustrating. I'm used to being able to have options as far as making folders, copying files, getting notifications, etc... I took some pictures today and wanted to separate them into a folder. Seems like something an os should do natively . I want to select 20 files and move them to a different folder. And app shouldn't be required. I just have this fear that there aren't going to be any productive options based on what I see with the playbook. Any thoughts, reassurance?
    08-26-12 09:01 PM
    Soon.

08-26-12 09:07 PM
    What does that mean?
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    08-26-12 09:09 PM
    Well.. The OS supports it.. The Filemanager doesn't..
    Just install AIR Browser and act as if it came pre installed :P ( Ghost commander is way better but then people complain bout it being android..)

And BB10 on PB will be "most likely" be like you see it in the demos that RIM released.. Check them on YouTube..
    08-26-12 09:39 PM
    I have air browser installed, but I didn't realize I could visually see the pictures, select multiple pictures, and copy them to another folder.
    08-26-12 09:45 PM
    I didn't really like Air Browser, but Stuff was the file manager of choice for me. Everyone is different though. I do however think that the BB10 OS will most likely influence the PB, not the other way around.
    08-26-12 09:49 PM
    I have air browser installed, but I didn't realize I could visually see the pictures, select multiple pictures, and copy them to another folder.
    Air Browser is very limited in what it can do. Ghost Commander, however, can do everything you mentioned very easily. For pics, you can go into settings and change the size of thumbnails (by default they're very small), and since it's a multi-pane browser, multi selecting pics (or other files) from one pane and moving them to the other pane is basically a one click affair. One caveat is, DON'T use Ghost to create folders on your PB. Use Air Browser or another native browser to do that.
    08-26-12 10:07 PM
    File browser has proven itself to be the best for me. Should have been there with the OS from the start.
    axllebeer and 416to604 like this.
    08-26-12 11:02 PM
    I think it will just depend on what RIM thinks is important. If they decide Folders are an afterthought as they are on the current pb OS's, then we could be in real trouble. And no one knows what rim is thinking. If they don't at least replicate the functions on OS7 for bbphones with direct access to emailing a photo or doc and don't provide anyway to create and use folders for organizing data, they will get rightfully blasted yet again.

All we can do is hope that they get the message.
    08-26-12 11:04 PM
    I just had the same thought this morning.. Wonder how the 'Flow' would be on the the PB?

Well obviously, the OS being able to easily scale itself must have been the initial thoughts on RIM because they have a tablet and multiple resolutions smartphones..

I have full faith in RIM to 'overhaul' the PlayBook OS.. I love the current style.. But I like BB10 more..
    08-27-12 12:07 AM
    File browser has proven itself to be the best for me. Should have been there with the OS from the start.
    Odd. I had forgotten I had File Browser. I fired it up. Now I cannot close it nor swipe away from it. I cannot swipe to pb Options. I can maneuver around within it but can't get out.

I just pressed the Power button and am Restarting it. Very odd. Official OS, non-recalled OS.

edited to add: a restart fixed it. I had completely forgotten File Browser - I like the thumbnails.
    Last edited by F2; 08-27-12 at 10:45 AM.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    08-27-12 08:38 AM
    First off, everything is an app. The camera is an app. App World, Contacts, pretty much everything. A file manager is just another app. It would be nice if there were a few nicer default apps, but that really shouldn't be too big of an issue since there are plenty of other apps out there.

When it comes to file managers, you have several options. What you may like maybe somebody else doesn't. All you have to do is find the right app for you.

Personally, I sort images into folders all the time, and have no issue with it. I just had to find the right tool (app) that worked best for me.
    08-27-12 08:44 AM
    Odd. I had forgotten I had File Browser. I fired it up. Now I cannot close it nor swipe away from it. I cannot swipe to pb Options. I can maneuver around within it but can't get out.

I just pressed the Power button and am Restarting it. Very odd. Official OS, non-recalled OS.
    Managed to hit the kill UI bug I guess.. The one with keyboard + top left + top right corner thing..
    08-27-12 10:21 AM
    RE: Will bb10 be anything like the playbook os? Please say no.

No...

Happy now?
    08-27-12 10:42 AM
    I will hands down 2nd this. I've never had any issues with this one and I find it more functional that any other file browser.
    dan_dollar and BB_Bmore like this.
    08-27-12 12:03 PM
    i use file browser regularly for file management on my pb. most often for moving pictures and music from the downloads folder and unzipping archives. it works like a charm.
    08-27-12 12:41 PM
    While i too hope BB10 comes to the playbook, i dont wish it to be just a larger scaled phone version. I like the playbook OS as is. Its very tablet-esque, and the user interface suits that. All it needs are the added features and some more functionality of bb10 but not the flow experience. I think that should stay unique to the phone. Otherwise its a apple thing.. Where The ipod touch, iphone, ipad and possibly ipad mini.. All running the exact same OS with barely any noteable difference.
    08-27-12 01:14 PM
    RE: Will bb10 be anything like the playbook os? Please say no.

No...

Happy now?
    I certainly am
    08-28-12 08:29 PM
    .. One caveat is, DON'T use Ghost to create folders on your PB. Use Air Browser or another native browser to do that.
    I have been using Ghost for quite a while now, why do you say not to create folders wit it?
    08-29-12 04:40 PM
    I have been using Ghost for quite a while now, why do you say not to create folders wit it?
    If you create folders with Ghost, and put any files in the folder you created, no other app will "see" the files or be able to open them.
    08-29-12 06:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD