Ground rules...

*Be reasonable and objective.
    *No name calling please.
    *No discussion about Skype, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon apps
    *No sideloading adroid apps as alternative
    *No "we have enough quality apps don't need no 'fart' apps" comments
    ...hope ya'll get the idea.

Let me state the PB is a great tablet and I enjoy(ed) using it. I have been WAITING & HOPING for more good, quality, and options on professional productivity/business apps.

Maybe, i don't know how maximize the potential of PB as a "professional tablet" but so far it's been used mainly for...
    Browsing web, Bridge (mainly seeing my phone on bigger screen), checking email.
    Which the PB does a fantastic job.

My concern is PB has been built...NOW will the apps come?
    If yes, how much longer do you think it will take?
    So am I waiting in vain or is there hope in the app areana?

Your thoughts...remember the rules! Thanks
    03-08-12 11:15 AM
    A lot of apps are available by 3rd party sources.
    I for one have a lot of awesome Android Bars on my PlayBook.

And more apps are going to come. I feel that the developers who got their free PlayBooks from RIM will really make a difference as well. Especially the Android Devs.
    03-08-12 11:24 AM
    Apps are here, where have you been. There in the "now we got options" phase like there being a few remote desktop clients a few photo editors a few cloud apps etc. If they don't suit your needs sorry but you got the wrong tab, go for what works for you. The app market is growing even with the waste of time apps you find a few new usefully or entertaining.
    The options are good cause it creates competition and innovation.
    taylor96 likes this.
    03-08-12 11:36 AM
    Talk about the future of PB apps and not mention Skype?
    You're funny
    03-08-12 11:45 AM
    I agree with pcguy. Apps are here. Don't care if native or 'droid. I have bought the native that I want where possible. I need the functionality by any means. If better native comes along I will buy it. Do I want more? Oh yeah. Lots of it. PB is very much what I expected. I am very happy with it.

I'd pay top dollar for an advanced word processor. I'd pay top dollar for an advanced media player. The potential is ridiculously high for it to be very successful. I hope the devs are cooking up some goodies; I will buy them. Who wants my money? PlayBook - Waiting has never been so much fun�. I think I will make this my new tag line.
    veganberry likes this.
    03-08-12 11:51 AM
    I think apps will come if (a) RIM will announce actual official sell-through of the PB, which should be respectable now with the sales and (b) when they give us Cascades and (c) when we can target phones and the PB with the same code.

So (b) and (c) are just a matter of time now. (a) is up to RIM. They need to understand that being coy with sales numbers doesn't inspire confidence, and I think they'll figure that out soon enough. So, yes, I think apps will come.
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    03-08-12 11:53 AM
    A lot of apps are available by 3rd party sources.
    I for one have a lot of awesome Android Bars on my PlayBook.

And more apps are going to come. I feel that the developers who got their free PlayBooks from RIM will really make a difference as well. Especially the Android Devs.
    Fubaz,

Can you please list some of those Android Bar apps for me?
    How did you get them on your PB...thru app world or sideloading?

I've heard some "issues" w/sideloading and do not want to go that route...not that i even know how. Thanks
    03-08-12 12:03 PM
    Apps are here.
    Just not the apps people want most.
    03-08-12 12:04 PM
    Curious... what apps or types of app are you guys missing so far?

This is a legit, serious question... So far I found (almost) all the apps I needed in App World so I'm curious what others are using their PB for and which limitations their currently facing.

Glad you added this to your post, it should keep the iOS/Android fanboys (sorry, name calling!) enthusiasts at bay ...
    *No discussion about Skype, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon apps
    Edit - re-read earlier post and have to agree that a good media player is desperatly needed... Would love to see a XBMC port for the playbook.
    Last edited by RicThot; 03-08-12 at 12:28 PM.
    03-08-12 12:24 PM
    As I see it, RIM had a problem from the getgo with the PB by choosing to go their own way with their own operating system, rather than making an android device as most of the other manufacturers have/had. Look what happened to HP, who also had their own operating system. When the first android tablets came out, there already existed a whole universe of apps available, even if they were basically phone apps. When the PB came out, there was next to nothing available. And Blackberry then priced their tablets on a par with the ipad and the higher end android tablets. So when a typical consumer who was thinking about getting a tablet looked at the market, they saw the ipad, with tons of apps available, the android tablets, also with tons of apps, and the PB, with few apps, and all platforms priced about the same. Who, in that universe, outside of the hardcore Blackberry types, would choose the PB over the competition.
    So, Blackberry found itself in the vicious cycle of no apps, no sales, and since there were no sales, no apps. Why would any app developers spend time, money and resources to create apps for a tablet that no one had. Ultimately, I assume, Blackberry figured out that the way to attract app developers was to significantly increase sales, and the way to do that was to slash their prices. How many of us on this board bought their Playbooks at the fire sale prices? I'm assuming that sales of the Playbook have increased dramatically since the sale started. The point is that it's numbers and numbers only that will attract developers, and the numbers for the Playbook have probably dramatically increased, but only recently. Give the developers a little time to reevaluate the situation and then catch up.
    03-08-12 12:36 PM
    A good music player is missing that can scrobble to last.fm and have multiple playlist created
    03-08-12 12:39 PM
    My playbook is chock full of apps its in need only of the ones you asked us not to speak about.
    cleveland216 likes this.
    03-08-12 12:49 PM
    Only time will tell.

Just want to say…how long was android around before it got netflix?
    gumbo191 likes this.
    03-08-12 12:58 PM
    Android was junk in general for a couple years, not even counting apps.

That said, the mapping application options on the PB are terrible. The native music/video player needs some improvements, then a 3rd party application wouldn't really be necessary.
    03-08-12 01:00 PM

This is a legit, serious question... So far I found (almost) all the apps I needed in App World so I'm curious what others are using their PB for and which limitations their currently facing.

Glad you added this to your post, it should keep the iOS/Android fanboys (sorry, name calling!) enthusiasts at bay ...

Edit - re-read earlier post and have to agree that a good media player is desperatly needed... Would love to see a XBMC port for the playbook.
    For me...
    Quality note taking app- that I can use my finger/stylus during business meetings. Which can be converted to text (be nice) and transfered to another app under clients name

Video Player that plays ALL WMA - I don't understand why PB will play some WMA and not others. We have training webinars saved as WMA but PB encounters errors almost immediately. Odd since PB states it plays WMA files

Alternative or Improved Docs To Go - The functionality/experience is lacking and confidence to perform serious work/editing is not there for me.
    irishsgd likes this.
    03-08-12 01:51 PM
    The PlayBook will never get apps the way the iPad has apps, there just isn't a large enough user base to justify app development for smaller companies. If a company is small and has to choose a single platform for which to develop, the numbers are too much in favour of Apple.

This is why it's so important for RIM to push for HTML 5 development, as once that is the primary development medium, 'apps' will be available on all HTML 5 capable platforms, reducing the motivation to develop for a specific platform.
    03-08-12 02:01 PM
    For me...
    Quality note taking app- that I can use my finger/stylus during business meetings. Which can be converted to text (be nice) and transfered to another app under clients name

Video Player that plays ALL WMA - I don't understand why PB will play some WMA and not others. We have training webinars saved as WMA but PB encounters errors almost immediately. Odd since PB states it plays WMA files

Alternative or Improved Docs To Go - The functionality/experience is lacking and confidence to perform serious work/editing is not there for me.
    Agreed, even the existing apps are not up to the same level as the iOS and Android versions. Eg Evernote, DocsToGo, the iOS app which I also have, has more functionality.

PDF reader that will open multiple files, take annotations. GPS.. PLEASE!!!!!!

Even the basic apps like Photos, Music, Contacts and Browser could use a overhaul, there's generally much functionality missing, like sorting in Photos, categories in Contacts, bookmark editing in Browser, the uncomprehensable way that playlists are sorted etc. It's like all the parts are there, but unfinished, that someone started compiling before everyone checked in their code.

I suspect that many of the BIG apps for the Playbook like Acrobat Reader, Evernote, DocsToGo were actually ported by RIM, and not by the respective companies, and that may be something they will need to continue doing.

The 1 million Playbooks being sold is great, but 15 million iPads were sold in the last quarter. If you were an app developer, where do you see the market? At least a year ago, the Playbook had a much better chance of establishing itself in the market, but now, after another 50-60 million tablets have hit the market, what's 1 million? The Kindle Fire did that in one month, and the new iPad will likely do that in the 1st day or week.

If RIM had given the Playbook the ability to run BB apps like they first promised, then at least the customer base for any app becomes 30x to 75x the current size. Android and iOS apps for the most part can be run on phones or tablet, so that the iOS market is approx 300 million devices with the Android market at least in the 100's of millions. That means even a niche app that will only appeal to a small percentage of the market will still find a sizeable audience.

Anyone who thinks the Playbook apps situation is "fine", is not getting the big picture. Tablets are poised to outsell PC's, and may take over as the dominant computing platform. In all honesty, the Playbook app choice currently is poor.

I wish RIM would just let the TAT guys loose, release everything they develop, perhaps even open source it, so that other's could pick up where they left off and give us some truely innovative apps. Also do what Google did with their App Builder, give it away for free, get the grass roots movement going. The combination of cheap, high quality hardware in the Playbook, is begging for some wild independent developers to take it and _RUN_!
    03-08-12 03:01 PM
    Agreed, even the existing apps are not up to the same level as the iOS and Android versions. Eg Evernote, DocsToGo, the iOS app which I also have, has more functionality.

PDF reader that will open multiple files, take annotations. GPS.. PLEASE!!!!!!

Even the basic apps like Photos, Music, Contacts and Browser could use a overhaul, there's generally much functionality missing, like sorting in Photos, categories in Contacts, bookmark editing in Browser, the uncomprehensable way that playlists are sorted etc. It's like all the parts are there, but unfinished, that someone started compiling before everyone checked in their code.
    Maybe I should have put PB vs ipad/android in my tiltle in order to get more input/participation to what I believe is a substanative topic.

It amazes me how many hits & responses those kind of thread receives!

So, we all (i think) agree PB has best hardware. The APPS are the holy grail...do you think the business apps will come?
    dave1701 likes this.
    03-08-12 05:04 PM
    Only if RIM getting there and offer support for the port.
    03-08-12 05:10 PM
    I know the original thread said no Netflix discussion, but how can that be glossed over? That is a major deal to a lot of people running mobile devices. Even if a Playbook is considered more of a 'business' device, it's still pretty ridiculous that it's not available.
    03-08-12 05:55 PM

Seems like a Valdemoort thread. We can't name the apps we want that we know aren't coming
    Gouk and dalehelton like this.
    03-08-12 06:02 PM
  22. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I agree with pcguy. Apps are here. Don't care if native or 'droid. I have bought the native that I want where possible. I need the functionality by any means. If better native comes along I will buy it. Do I want more? Oh yeah. Lots of it. PB is very much what I expected. I am very happy with it.

I'd pay top dollar for an advanced word processor. I'd pay top dollar for an advanced media player. The potential is ridiculously high for it to be very successful. I hope the devs are cooking up some goodies; I will buy them. Who wants my money? PlayBook - Waiting has never been so much fun�. I think I will make this my new tag line.
    I agree also! .. I will buy any useful apps. don't care on cost .. want quality apps .. media or business or photo .. whatever .. .and i Love the Playbook size and User interface and features .. oh .. and i dont care about Skype! or Netflix ....
    03-08-12 06:32 PM
    I know the original thread said no Netflix discussion, but how can that be glossed over? That is a major deal to a lot of people running mobile devices. Even if a Playbook is considered more of a 'business' device, it's still pretty ridiculous that it's not available.
    The reason was so much has already been discussed about PB not having those apps on other threads...did not want to duplicate and rehash all thats been sd. Just wanted to have dialog regarding other apps.

I have Netflix & amazon prime accts, lack of these apps are not as painful...but they are desirable none the less.
    03-08-12 07:00 PM
    I can't offer much for the OP; I am personally quite content with the app selection, but there are a handfull I would buy if made available, such as an advanced photo editing app, sophisticated word processor, an app that would allow for bridging across all phone platforms, and Urban Spoon. Of course, the lack of these apps in no way kept me from buying the PB, but their availability would be icing on the proverbial cake.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    03-08-12 07:25 PM
    I can't offer much for the OP; I am personally quite content with the app selection, but there are a handfull I would buy if made available, such as an advanced photo editing app, sophisticated word processor, an app that would allow for bridging across all phone platforms, and Urban Spoon. Of course, the lack of these apps in no way kept me from buying the PB, but their availability would be icing on the proverbial cake.
    "Thanks" alnamvet68. Do you believe quality native apps will come?
    03-08-12 07:33 PM
170 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD