Hi,
    Can anyone recommend a decent (and preferably free as I'll only use it very rarely) WiFi 'Survey' App for the Playbook.
    I'm looking for something that will show all WiFi sources in range, along with signal strength and which channel they are operating on.
    I've bought a new router, and the WiFi signals in my area are quite 'busy' so I just wanted to try and optimise my router location and settings to get the best signal with the minimum amount of iterference from other WiFi sources.

Thanks,

Chris.
    03-20-13 05:39 AM
    I was in the same position awhile back.

I side loaded 'wifi analyzer' but it didn't work. I searched and searched - and found nothing.

In the end i googled a free PC app that i ran on my laptop (as i had wireless)... That was the solution i had to go with.

Maybe someone else has found somethiing.
    ChrisMay likes this.
    03-20-13 11:24 AM
    I was in the same position awhile back.

I side loaded 'wifi analyzer' but it didn't work. I searched and searched - and found nothing.

In the end i googled a free PC app that i ran on my laptop (as i had wireless)... That was the solution i had to go with.

Maybe someone else has found somethiing.
    I guess I can do that. It just seemed easier to carry my PB round the house than lug the laptop...
    Do you remember what it was called? I'm a little bit wary of random free PC programs. If you have already 'taste-tested' for me, then it should be ok to use...

Thanks for the reply anyway.
    03-20-13 11:41 AM
    Yup - i'm hesitant as well.

Google Nirsoft

Then on a very ugly webpage - under a heading called Network Monitoring Tools you'll see a link called 'WirelessNetView'

Its not obvious where the download is ..... Its way down under Feedback of all places.

There are two download options.

Good luck
    ChrisMay likes this.
    03-20-13 02:12 PM
    Unfortunately, there is no Playbook app. An obvious hole that needs to be filled.

For the PC, try Inssider. Amped Wireless offers the same free app but rebranded to them. It shows channel, security type, available protocols, channel width and brand of access point. It works in both 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz bands, provided your pc wireless supports both and can also connect to a GPS. You get a lot of bang, for no bucks.
    ChrisMay likes this.
    03-20-13 02:47 PM
    I've used heatmapper by Ekahau - did the job
    Ekahau HeatMapper - The Free Wi-Fi Coverage Mapping Site Survey Tool
    ChrisMay likes this.
    03-23-13 03:56 PM
    You can try Wifi Analyzer, an android app that works on the PB. It will give you info about your wifi connection, but not about other networks that you're not connected to (at least I don't think it does). http://apk2bar.unker.net/bar/c8/4e/5..._v1.0.77.0.bar
    ChrisMay likes this.
    03-23-13 08:49 PM
    WIFi analyzer has a lot of settings and works well on the Nexus 7. It does show other channels and strength. Attaching URL for You Tube. Don't have it on my Playbook. Maybe all features are not available on the PB.

ChrisMay likes this.
    03-24-13 02:07 AM
    I use it on my GSII and love it. I did try a converted version but it did not pick up any wifi, not even the physical network device. I emailed the developer about porting his app over. He did not say no, but then he also did not say yes either. I asked for clarification, but had no response.
    ChrisMay likes this.
    03-24-13 01:31 PM
    After reading this yesterday I sideloaded the wi-fi analyzer. It runs but the graph you see in the above video doesn't work and that's the main window for the program. Here in my office there's 5 available networks, the program only sees one. To me it's useless but maybe your experience would be better.
    ChrisMay likes this.
    03-25-13 08:09 AM
    Thanks to everyone who replied.
    I'm unable to proceed with this for a week or so now, but will hopefully give it a go over the Easter weekend.

Cheers,

Chris.
    03-25-13 09:37 AM
    I sideloaded the same app a while back and it only sees the PB wifi signal - and unable to see anything else.... And i don't believe there is any alternative.
    03-25-13 10:21 AM