Hi Everyone!

I have been using WiFi Sharing for a while now to transfer files between my PlayBook and my laptop (quite a useful tool!) I notice, that from time to time, the IPv4 address of my PlayBook changes.

For a good 2-3 weeks it might be 192.xxx.x.3 and then I try locating my PlayBook form my laptop using this address only to find out I can't access my tablet because the IPv4 address somehow changed to 192.xxx.x.2 (or something else)....

This change happens occasionally and it is not a bother nor is it annoying as I can easily find what the new address is. I'm just curious as to why this happens... any thoughts???
    Last edited by bounce007; 11-23-11 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Grammar
    11-23-11 06:06 AM
    Hi Everyone!

I have been using WiFi Sharing for a while now to transfer files between my PlayBook and my laptop (quite a useful tool!) I notice, that from time to time, the IPv4 address of my PlayBook changes.

For a good 2-3 weeks it might be 192.xxx.x.3 and then I try locating my PlayBook form my laptop using this address only to find out I can't access my tablet because the IPv4 address somehow changed to 192.xxx.x.2 (or something else)....

This change happens occasionally and it is not a bother nor is it annoying as I can easily find what the new address is. I'm just curious as to why this happens... any thoughts???
    Dynamically allocated (assigned) IP addresses have a lease time after which the IP address is released. Normally, if the device with the MAC address last associated with the IP address is still on the network and able to renew its IP address lease, the tablet's address remains unchanged. However, when the device is not available within a specific time-frame the IP address is released and when the device eventually wants to rejoin the network it will often obtain a different IP address. This concludes Network Basics 101 - IP Address Assignment, Lease Time, and Renewal. The cafeteria is now open.
    shikhar10882 and bounce007 like this.
    11-23-11 06:11 AM
    Merci bien!
    11-23-11 06:43 AM
    ...Is there anyway to dynamically assign a static IPv4 address to the PlayBook so that when the address is released, it will eventually obtain the SAME IPv4 address?
    11-23-11 06:49 AM
    Someone has posted about it in the vast storage pond of Crackberry there are instructions on assigning a FIXED address.

Here's what I captured and it worked when I did it a while ago. I am not responsible for the info - in that I cannot explain it or help more than posting it!!!!

-----------------

If you go to 'Wi-Fi' on your PlayBook and select 'Saved Networks' under 'Select a network', edit your wireless network and uncheck 'Automatically obtain IP address'... there you can set a static address for your PlayBook to use.

Your typical settings will be:

IP Address: 192.168.X.X (this will be your local network... if your linksys sits on 192.168.1.X then your IP can be anything between 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254... obviously it can't be the same IP as your linksys or any active device on the network)
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Primary DNS: (I use OpenDNS) 208.67.222.222
    Secondary: 208.67.220.220
    Default gateway: 192.168.X.X (the IP you use to access the linksys page)

It may be easier doing this on the linksys device it self... try and find a page which lets you enter a hostname, MAC address, IP address and lease time.
    bounce007 likes this.
    11-23-11 10:00 AM
    Someone has posted about it in the vast storage pond of Crackberry there are instructions on assigning a FIXED address.

Here's what I captured and it worked when I did it a while ago. I am not responsible for the info - in that I cannot explain it or help more than posting it!!!!

-----------------

If you go to 'Wi-Fi' on your PlayBook and select 'Saved Networks' under 'Select a network', edit your wireless network and uncheck 'Automatically obtain IP address'... there you can set a static address for your PlayBook to use.

Your typical settings will be:

IP Address: 192.168.X.X (this will be your local network... if your linksys sits on 192.168.1.X then your IP can be anything between 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.254... obviously it can't be the same IP as your linksys or any active device on the network)
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Primary DNS: (I use OpenDNS) 208.67.222.222
    Secondary: 208.67.220.220
    Default gateway: 192.168.X.X (the IP you use to access the linksys page)

It may be easier doing this on the linksys device it self... try and find a page which lets you enter a hostname, MAC address, IP address and lease time.

Thank you very much Grandpa (and I always call you this with utmost respect)! I tried it, let me see if my PB's IPv4 will change... Thanks again!
    Last edited by bounce007; 11-23-11 at 07:28 PM.
    11-23-11 07:25 PM
    Depending on your router or server you should be able to set a Reservation for the mac address of the playbook..

Most decent routers have this option ie. DLink, Linksys, Belkin **** even TPLink..

That would allow the IP to be "set static" in your house/office without having issues on other wifi networks that might conflict with a static set in the playbook itself ..
    bounce007 likes this.
    11-23-11 08:23 PM
    Listen kid, I may be less than young but I'm not old!

Hmmm. "less than young" does that work. But I think its meaning is better than "more than young" I'll leave it to a philosopher to figure out.

So, far, I've not had to re-enter an IP address and I think my computer was off the week I was down in Moab and I used a friend's wifi down there.
    Bisboxer likes this.
    11-23-11 08:48 PM
    Depending on your router or server you should be able to set a Reservation for the mac address of the playbook..

Most decent routers have this option ie. DLink, Linksys, Belkin **** even TPLink..

That would allow the IP to be "set static" in your house/office without having issues on other wifi networks that might conflict with a static set in the playbook itself ..
    I'm not sure that I was able to find a setting/location to do that on my somewhat older linksys???
    11-23-11 08:49 PM

Thank you very much Zoban! I knew you could do this but I didn't even remember you could! I use an Arris router and I accessed the settings page through my browser and voila! Under my LAN settings I was able to define multiple fixed DHCP clients. It is really good however, that the PlayBook allows you to do this through its own settings. One would think though that fixing the IPv4 of a device through the routers settings would be safer... at least I do.

Listen kid, I may be less than young but I'm not old!

Hmmm. "less than young" does that work. But I think its meaning is better than "more than young" I'll leave it to a philosopher to figure out.

So, far, I've not had to re-enter an IP address and I think my computer was off the week I was down in Moab and I used a friend's wifi down there.
    Hahaha yeah I will leave a philosopher to figure that out as well...

I'm not sure that I was able to find a setting/location to do that on my somewhat older linksys???
    Did you go to you router's settings page (by entering the IPv4 default gateway in the browser) and check under LAN settings or whatever it is for Linksys routers??
    poorsha likes this.
    11-24-11 08:41 AM
    Just went to my Router and don't see any place to set it on there. I've used the pb's settings to "lock" in an ip address. So far it works.

I guess I did not realize that might cause issues on "foreign" routers, like at airports, starbucks (one on every corner in Seattle!!!) or hotels (not often).
    11-24-11 10:50 AM
    Thanks alot guys!!!
    Had faced that issue when connecting my mac to pb... as I did not check the ipv4 on PB, when when tried to connect to the server, it repeatedly gave error.
    For many days searched everywhere.. and was about to conclude on 'some virus issue'.. although seemed like a far cry on a QNX... but... in lack of any other explanation, and this being the only as per the so-called network experts known to me..
    So it seems, this is normal, as I had not connected my PB to MAC for about a week... the lease time theory of BB9700CA seems to fit perfectly well....
    02-06-12 01:26 AM
    To sum up :

1. By default, the IP address of your PB is issued and reserved by the router, for a limited period of time.
    2. If you don't use your PB for a while and your reservation becomes obsolete, any other wifi device may take and handle the IP for the same period of time.
    3. Since you can force the PB to use the same IP always, it is not a good idea, unless :
    a/ you stay home and never loose the reservation (and/or no other device take it)
    b/ you don't plan to connect to external wifi hotspots
    4. The proper way to do this is to go in your router settings and create a static reservation for your PB, based on its MAC address. Settings depends on brands and models but most likely, you can do this by accessing the router with your computer browser (generally http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1) and enter the advanced params page/section. There, search for the DHCP section and subsidiaries, you should be able to find a "static reservation" or "LAN IP" (LinkSys) section.

Hope it helps, bravo for the former answers.
    02-06-12 04:07 AM
    You can assign a static IP within the Playbook settings for your home wifi connection.
    This does not effect any other wifi connection.
    02-06-12 04:47 AM
    You can assign a static IP within the Playbook settings for your home wifi connection.
    This does not effect any other wifi connection.
    I am pretty sure that you are correct. If you see my reply #8 above, you will see that while I had a static address set up on my pb (my older router does not have the ability to reserved an address), I have used wifi in other places. The static address is part of the SAVED WIFI settings for MY HOME's rounter. It does not affect "foreign" locations. I've also used the pb at starbucks pretty recently to test Splashtop and it worked there, too.

What I don't know if my pb is "off" or away and the router gives that ip address away, what happens when I return? Any ROUTER EXPERTS here? (remember, my router does not have the ability to assign an address to a device - and darn I missed the BestBuy sale last week). I would guess that my pb would NOT get a wifi connection if something else was on 103. I should probably pump it up the range further.
    02-06-12 08:43 AM
    Yes if your pb was away from the network and another device is introduced it very well may take the ip of the pb when not connected as the router isn't reserving it.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-06-12 09:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD