After installing the new 2.0.1.358 Playbook update today, I can no longer connect to my primary wifi router. It's a Netgear WNDR3700 running DD-WRT. It just connects and immediately disconnects again. I've rebooted the PB, the router, deleted the wifi connections and added them again, all to no avail. Neither the wifi 'G' or 'N' connections work. Both are WPA2 AES-only.

In the PB wifi log, I see these messages over nad over again:

> 20:35:04: <2>CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED - Disconnect event - remove keys
    > 20:35:00: <2>CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to e0:91:f5:ab:4c:14 completed (reauth) [id=1 id_str=]
    > 20:35:00: <2>WPA: Key negotiation completed with e0:91:f5:ab:4c:14 [PTK=CCMP GTK=CCMP]
    > 20:35:00: <2>Associated with e0:91:f5:ab:4c:14
    > 20:35:00: <2>Trying to associate with e0:91:f5:ab:4c:14 (SSID='abcdef' freq=2442 MHz)

Prior to the update, my Playbook worked perfectly on this router. No issues (for months now).

Anyone else having wifi issues, know how to fix this or even how to report this as a bug to RIM?
    04-17-12 09:36 PM
    04-17-12 09:49 PM
    Are you using WPA2? Try switching to WPA. I found that my Playbook doesn't work well with my company's Netgear APs when they use WPA2. Same thing with a home Netgear router I was using. Once the security was switched to WPA on the AP the PB connects.
    04-17-12 09:58 PM
    Are you using WPA2? Try switching to WPA. I found that my Playbook doesn't work well with my company's Netgear APs when they use WPA2. Same thing with a home Netgear router I was using. Once the security was switched to WPA on the AP the PB connects.
    Or if not possible Ensure its wpa2 personal, and enable ipv6. That works for me, I don't recommend WPA unless you have mac filtering on. And even then your still a target for the malicious and conniving.
    04-17-12 10:19 PM
    I am using wpa2, just finished video chatting, and no problems. Have you tried deleting the wifi and reconnecting?
    04-17-12 10:28 PM
    Downloading the OS2 update was the last thing my PB did over wifi. Now can't connect. Doesn't see it and won't connect manually either. Tried deleting and reconnecting - no luck. Not techie enough to know what else to try. :-(
    Last edited by mmhh2; 04-17-12 at 10:31 PM.
    04-17-12 10:29 PM
    I would say, delete the profile. Then, force a hard reset. This means, holding down power+volume up and down (3 buttons)
    This should force it to restart, with the red led shining first
    See if this does the trick. If not, back up your data, and then do a security wipe.
    Lastly, if that doesn't work. Turn off the device, plug into comp, and open BDM. Turn on the tablet, and in the first few seconds, it will show cannot connect to device, with options of try again, update, etc. Click update, put in your password if you have one, and let it do its job. After it boots, it will be a factory reset. That if anything should do the trick.
    IF that doesn't work, my last resort will be to reach out to RIM and see what they say. It shouldn't be a hardware issue, since it was working before the update. I personally updated over wifi, and then restarted, and everything til now is still working fine.
    pcguy514 and DeaconFrost1098 like this.
    04-17-12 10:45 PM
    I also updated to 2.0.1.358 and now could not connect to my home WiFi which is a Buffalo N Router. I did a security wipe of the PlayBook and the initial WiFi connection would connect for about 3-5 seconds and then drop off.

My router was set to mixed mode (BGN) and the channel was set to Auto. Even with WiFi security disabled, I had the same results.

I changed the channel to a fixed channel (11) on the router and the same problem persisted. However when going into the WiFi status on the PlayBook and choosing Wi-Fi Information, I noticed that the PlayBook kept saying it was on Channel 2. I had to set my router to B-Only before I had a steady connection and the PlayBook said it was connected on Channel 11 as my router was set. After that, I was able to set the router back to WPA2 Personal and BGN Mixed Mode.

I can't say for sure that it will work for anyone else, but that was my experience.
    04-18-12 12:16 AM
    The suggestion to delete the WiFi profile, reboot, and re-create the WiFi profile might fix the issue. However, my own experience with the update on Tuesday was smooth and I have been able to connect to both of the WiFi routers, different manufacturers, in my home and home office without changing anything. Since you are running DD-WRT I suggest checking for a firmware update and temporarily disable WPA/WPA2 to test connectivity.
    04-18-12 12:19 AM
    I also updated to 2.0.1.358 and now could not connect to my home WiFi which is a Buffalo N Router. I did a security wipe of the PlayBook and the initial WiFi connection would connect for about 3-5 seconds and then drop off.

My router was set to mixed mode (BGN) and the channel was set to Auto. Even with WiFi security disabled, I had the same results.

I changed the channel to a fixed channel (11) on the router and the same problem persisted. However when going into the WiFi status on the PlayBook and choosing Wi-Fi Information, I noticed that the PlayBook kept saying it was on Channel 2. I had to set my router to B-Only before I had a steady connection and the PlayBook said it was connected on Channel 11 as my router was set. After that, I was able to set the router back to WPA2 Personal and BGN Mixed Mode.

I can't say for sure that it will work for anyone else, but that was my experience.
    I'm having the same issue with the same type router will give your solution a try and see if it works. Thanks
    04-18-12 01:54 PM
    After installing the new 2.0.1.358 Playbook update today, I can no longer connect to my primary wifi router. It's a Netgear WNDR3700 running DD-WRT. It just connects and immediately disconnects again. I've rebooted the PB, the router, deleted the wifi connections and added them again, all to no avail. Neither the wifi 'G' or 'N' connections work. Both are WPA2 AES-only.

> 20:35:00: <2>CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to e0:91:f5:ab:4c:14 completed (reauth) [id=1 id_str=]
    > 20:35:00: <2>WPA: Key negotiation completed with e0:91:f5:ab:4c:14 [PTK=CCMP GTK=CCMP]
    > 20:35:00: <2>Trying to associate with e0:91:f5:ab:4c:14 (SSID='abcdef' freq=2442 MHz)

Prior to the update, my Playbook worked perfectly on this router. No issues (for months now).

Anyone else having wifi issues, know how to fix this or even how to report this as a bug to RIM?
    Where do you find this PB wifi log messages?
    04-18-12 02:18 PM
    Netgear wndr 3800, openwrt, zero problems with WiFi prior to this update, infact I purchased this because 2.0 and my wirlesss-g with some wireless-n features router was having fits with the OS2.0 update.

So, is this the future of Blackberry?
    Basic functions becoming unusable with each OS release?

Grrrrr, must not type what comes next.....
    04-18-12 02:26 PM
    on the wifi page there is a small icon in the bottom left corner with a question mark on it. open that and you will see a drop-down box called "Device Information." "Logs" is the 4th choice down.
    04-18-12 02:42 PM
    I've noticed, in the log on my router
    ath: Failed to stop TX DMA, queues=
    where the queues amount is something from 04 to 1f (hex)

This is apparently an Atheros bug in Linux kernel 2.6.38.x.

Is this a bug affecting Atheros based routers that some devices trigger, nothing else I own causes this error to occur in the logs, Just the Playbook.
    04-18-12 05:10 PM
    This won't be generally helpful, but yesterday my PB recognized my router again. I have no idea why. Maybe it was a router problem and not a PB problem. Anyway, it works again. yay!
    04-19-12 09:15 AM
    I have the same router as the OP but not ddwrt. I have had no issues before or after the update. WPA2 AES, mixed mode etc. Everything beside security is defaults beside changing the channel to less congested one.

There is a thread a member started how they solved the issue after the update. Might work for others.
    04-19-12 09:33 AM
    I also have big wifi problems. My Router is a Fritz!Box which is very popular in Germany. Hope they will solve it soon because its very frustraiting.
    04-19-12 03:08 PM
    kbz1960 where is this thread that you talked about that someone fixed the issues?
    04-19-12 06:39 PM
    04-19-12 06:42 PM

I've got the same problem, worked perfectly without any issues until 2.0.1.358 ... now it is completely useless. I've tried everything I can think of .... Strangely enough its the only wireless client that has this problem, all my other products work fine with no issues... even my old wireless equipment. I'm hoping someone comes up with a solution or that RIM reads this board.
    04-19-12 07:40 PM
    Finally OS 2.0.1.358 seems to have fixed all of my WIFI issues with my Playbook so I'm very happy right now
    04-19-12 07:50 PM
    @ jamiemjennings: same log entries here

I also recognised that my BB Smartphone even gets connected and disconnected. Seems that the PB disturbs the wireless network so strong that this even hits other clients!
    04-20-12 11:31 AM
    I would post a new thread since this one seems router related only (and I have no problems with my home wifi that I'm aware of), but I'm on the road right now and can't connect to the hotel wifi. My 9810 and my laptop connect to the wifi fine, but the PB times out after the attempt 1 of 3 connection display. I turned on my 9810's wifi hotspot, and the PB would not connect to that either -- authentication failed message, though I know I'm using the right password, and connecting to the 9810 mobile hotspot worked fine before the 2.0.1 update.

I've rebooted about 4 times with the same result. Sems like the PB just won't connect to new hotspots, etc. -- just those wifi profiles that are saved. Any ideas?

Edit: the problem miraculously resolved itself after about five hours. No clue what was going on.
    Last edited by JasW; 04-21-12 at 05:30 AM.
    04-20-12 05:55 PM
    [I have the same problem and when I do connect for a few seconds at best the speed is alot slower, what gives. Need a software upgrade to correct this deficiency.
    04-21-12 05:38 PM
    It's a Linux regression error, update your routers.

The Playbook just seems to aggravate it.

Prior to the playbook update, the error appeared in my logs twice in three months.

Then it was constant.

Updating to the mainline openwrt or the latest firmware for my netgear 3800 fixed it.

FOR ME.
    04-21-12 06:42 PM
95 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD