This is mainly for android phone owners who want the the speed of wifi to access media on their phone using the playbook but don't want to burn their data plan and aren't near a wifi hotspot.

1. go into settings > data delivery and turn off your data. then go into settings > tethering and mobile hotspot and start the mobile hotspot.

2. connect to your phone with your playbook

3. start the free android app Wifi File Explorer and leave it running. it's a very simple to use app that will turn your android into a wifi server without even being connected to the internet. all you have to do is enter the IP address it gives you into your playbook browser and it opens up a file explorer type UI right in your browser.

the best thing about this is it gives you access to all the music, videos, and pics on your phone, or any files at all. even on your micro sd card, so there's an extra ton of free storage if you already have an sd card. but wait, there's more: you can stream it!
    12-24-11 04:54 AM
    This works quite good. I was looking for a way to wireless transfer files. I could not figure a way to get Bluetooth file transfer working. I can now transfer pictures from my phone to my Playbook. Nice way to share pictures taken on the phone as the Playbook has a much bigger display. It is really useful when the playbook is not connected to the Wi-Fi and I do not have to use/waste the phone’s 3G/4G data by emailing and receiving the pictures.
    12-24-11 02:54 PM
    i take it this is only for the 2.0 beta users?? which it it works as good as you say it does we have plenty to look forward to come feb.
    12-24-11 05:21 PM
    I am on 1.0.8.6067 stock. It does not require 2.0.
    12-24-11 07:37 PM
    This is mainly for android phone owners who want the the speed of wifi to access media on their phone using the playbook but don't want to burn their data plan and aren't near a wifi hotspot.

1. go into settings > data delivery and turn off your data. then go into settings > tethering and mobile hotspot and start the mobile hotspot.

2. connect to your phone with your playbook

3. start the free android app Wifi File Explorer and leave it running. it's a very simple to use app that will turn your android into a wifi server without even being connected to the internet. all you have to do is enter the IP address it gives you into your playbook browser and it opens up a file explorer type UI right in your browser.

the best thing about this is it gives you access to all the music, videos, and pics on your phone, or any files at all. even on your micro sd card, so there's an extra ton of free storage if you already have an sd card. but wait, there's more: you can stream it!
    Now this is what Crackberry should be about. Helping others get the most out of their devices. Thank you for sharing and enlightening us to a great solution to WiFi hotspot use
    12-24-11 09:41 PM
    my pleasure I'd hate to see someone pull a bone head move like I did and overlook the simplest most obvious answer
    I guess the flip side is that after all the hair pulling I did, I was SO stoked when I finally figured it out lol
    12-25-11 12:54 AM
    I am on 1.0.8.6067 stock. It does not require 2.0.
    correct you can do it right now.
    12-25-11 12:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD