All.

Just found out the 32GB WiFi PB is on sale now @ Wal-Mart Canada for $148.99!!!!

Just found the on-line Wal-Mart flyer, prices in effect from September 5-11.

This may be a perfect opportunity if you can be happy with bridging w/BBOS7 devices!
    Last edited by QC_Al; 09-05-12 at 03:19 PM.
    09-05-12 03:08 PM
    Same here in Quebec
    Guess it's going the HP way will wait for the 99 buck sale. ( It's coming)
    Last edited by balding1; 09-05-12 at 03:49 PM.
    09-05-12 03:35 PM
    All.

Just found out the 32GB WiFi PB is on sale now @ Wal-Mart Canada for $148.99!!!!

Just found the on-line Wal-Mart flyer, prices in effect from September 5-11.

This may be a perfect opportunity if you can be happy with bridging w/BBOS7 devices!
    I already have a 16GB and a 64GB and a spare case as I got a mini keyboard that came with a case. I'll pick up this one and round out the collection so I have all three wifi versions. It would be nice to own the LTE one but I can't justify the data plan on it when the wifi ones bridge so well (and LTE hasn't made it up here to the Great White North yet anyway).
    09-05-12 03:56 PM
    All we need in Canada now is the $199 64GBs.
    09-05-12 04:05 PM
    "All we need in Canada now is the $199 64GBs"

And sadly we (momentarily ?) missed out on those 'cause OfficeD' closed up shop and slinked back across the border a few months ago.
    09-05-12 04:35 PM
    Are we heading for US$ 99/149/199? (or just through sporadic sales via Wal Mart, Office D, eBay, etc?)
    09-05-12 06:01 PM
    Well if RIM already took the writedown on PlayBook inventory they may as well sell them at deeply discounted rates. It would give them a bit of cash and new users for their product.

What would you do in the same position? It's what I would do.

I am going to Wally World Friday morning to buy 3 units at $148 for gifts for extended family.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    09-05-12 06:18 PM
    I agree with Moosehead, I'd go get a couple but the local Walmart flyers don't show the PB, and the main website still has the 32Gb at $228 and out of stock.
    09-05-12 06:51 PM
    I agree with Moosehead, I'd go get a couple but the local Walmart flyers don't show the PB, and the main website still has the 32Gb at $228 and out of stock.
    Patrick, wait until the flyers come out tomorrow and see if they are on sale in the rest of Canada.

Can't see Wally World haveing a Quebec only sale . . . . when it was one of the Quebec stores that tried to unionize on them. LoL
    09-05-12 07:21 PM
    Well if RIM already took the writedown on PlayBook inventory they may as well sell them at deeply discounted rates. It would give them a bit of cash and new users for their product.

I am going to Wally World Friday morning to buy 3 units at $148 for gifts for extended family.
    At this stage,wait thanksgiving or boxing day is better . At this deep discount, 64g is the only one worth buying.
    09-05-12 07:51 PM

Years ago my company wrote down a bunch if stock and there was a legal requirements it be destroyed.

I do not think companies can sell something which has been written down but I am by no means either a lawyer or an accountant.
    09-05-12 07:58 PM
    At this stage,wait thanksgiving or boxing day is better . At this deep discount, 64g is the only one worth buying.
    No. Don't agree. I already have 3 of the 64GB units. For what I want for family gifts the 32GB units at $148 will be just fine.

I called 2 Wally Worlds today and they both had more 32GB units on order and in transit.
    09-05-12 08:02 PM
    Years ago my company wrote down a bunch if stock and there was a legal requirements it be destroyed.

I do not think companies can sell something which has been written down but I am by no means either a lawyer or an accountant.
    Write down or write off? If they had valued them at a certain value, say $499 and wrote them down to say $149 on there books then I would think they could still sell them.

But, if they wrote them off to $0 then tried to sell them there would be tax implications.

Buy, hey I'm not a tax lawyer or accountant either.
    09-05-12 08:10 PM
    No. Don't agree. I already have 3 of the 64GB units. For what I want for family gifts the 32GB units at $148 will be just fine.

I called 2 Wally Worlds today and they both had more 32GB units on order and in transit.
    Ya,for gift,it is just fine. I meant for own use.
    09-05-12 10:00 PM
    I'm having trouble fnding that flyers.walmart.ca posting. Can someone link to it please

Ok I found it

http://flyers.walmart.ca/flyers/walmartcanada-weeklyflyer?sf_any=true&flyer_run_id=2725&type=1&s tore_code=3013#!/flyers/walmartcanada-weeklyflyer?flyer_run_id=2725
    Last edited by Guyzer; 09-06-12 at 03:04 AM.
    rsp44 likes this.
    09-06-12 03:00 AM
    I already have a 16GB and a 64GB and a spare case as I got a mini keyboard that came with a case. I'll pick up this one and round out the collection so I have all three wifi versions. It would be nice to own the LTE one but I can't justify the data plan on it when the wifi ones bridge so well (and LTE hasn't made it up here to the Great White North yet anyway).
    I'm not sure what part of the "Great White North" you're in, BUT I know here in Edmonton Telus has just fired up their LTE network, Rogers is coming soon, I'm not sure about Bell. I've read that Telus is currently testing LTE in Lethbridge as well. That being said, unless you live in a very remote location, I would guess LTE will be a reality regardless of what carrier you're with within a couple of years. Then you'll be able to bridge with your LTE BB10 device anyway.

(I know, I know, the chipset in the WiFi PB is not LTE capable, but I would imagine it would boost the performance a little...no?)
    09-06-12 09:14 AM
    It doesn't go on sale until September 7th, tomorrow.
    09-06-12 09:36 AM
    Thanks for the correction. I must have been looking @ the K-bec flyer.
    09-06-12 10:48 AM

A write-down is simply a requirement under the accounting rules. When the net realizable value of a company's inventory is less than the amount shown on the company's books for those assets, the book amount must be reduced to the lower amount. That reduction is called a write-down and the amount of the write-down is deducted from the company's income. There is nothing in the accounting rules that prevents a company from selling its written-down assets.

The tax treatment of a write-down is usually neutral, but in brief, the company will simply have to report the sales revenue of its remaining inventory as and when it is sold.

I hope this clarifies the information posted by Stewart above.

That requirement to destroy mentioned by Stewart must have been a special situation.
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 09-06-12 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Correct typos
    bungaboy likes this.
    09-06-12 10:59 AM
    This $148 PB offer is cool, how can somebody in USA buy at this price? Plz, I need help!
    09-06-12 12:50 PM
    IDK for sure, but I would guess that you would be able to find similar deals on eBay, OfficeD or elsewhere. Believe me, if it is this price in Canada it HAS to be less somewhere in the US. I don't believe I've ever come across ANYTHING that can be had for less in Canada that in the US.

(prime example: go to Ford.ca and Ford.com and price out an identical vehicle...sickening really)
    09-06-12 03:29 PM
    Well the flyer deal hits NB tomorrow. I checked availability at 6 stores within 100km.

In stock in ALL
    bungaboy and Kyle27 like this.
    09-06-12 04:07 PM
    This $148 PB offer is cool, how can somebody in USA buy at this price? Plz, I need help!
    How far are you from the border?
    There are many border town businesses that will receive shipped orders for cross border pick up.

If shipping to Canada is not supported or too expensive, I ship to a business in Maine, then drive to pick it up (about an hour). I have bought everything from tires to cushions this way.
    09-06-12 04:14 PM
    A write-down is simply a requirement under the accounting rules. When the net realizable value of a company's inventory is less than the amount shown on the company's books for those assets, the book amount must be reduced to the lower amount. That reduction is called a write-down and the amount of the write-down is deducted from the company's income. There is nothing in the accounting rules that prevents a company from selling its written-down assets.

The tax treatment of a write-down is usually neutral, but in brief, the company will simply have to report the sales revenue of its remaining inventory as and when it is sold.

I hope this clarifies the information posted by Stewart above.

That requirement to destroy mentioned by Stewart must have been a special situation.
    Ya. That's what I was trying to say from a civil engineering perspective. ROFL
    09-06-12 04:40 PM
    If we were really smart we would have purchased the pb's today at inflated price. Brought them back tomorrow refund, then repurchase them. Doing this to ensure you get one that this great price
    09-07-12 01:22 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD