Hello friends, I'm from India. I'm a newbie to crackberry forums. I'm a blackberry fan and i've a Playbook. I just love it, so much. Really. I dont compare it to iPad or anything like that. I think, every device is special in one way or the other. But if i were to choose any one between an iPad or Playbook, i would pick playbook without any second though. Yes, I love it that much. While going through an article, (the changes made in Playbook OS 2.1), i noticed one important thing. Yeah, to me its very important. It was mentioned- ''Wifi is no longer mandatory during initial set up''. What doesit mean? Does it mean, i can set up playbook without connecting to wifi?? If it is true, i'll be very happy. Becoz, there isno wifi hotspot around in my city. Its a small town. I use playbook particularly for web browsing by tethering it to my smartphone. My playbook browser sometimes crashes. I was told by RIM customer support to do 'FORCE REINSTALL'. I can do it through Desktop manager. But then the initial set up. That is the problem to me. Friends, do replyme with convincing answers. But the question is, how can we complete the initial set up without wifi? By the way, this is my first post. Hope to get the answer to my question.
    08-24-12 09:59 AM
    It won't be, after official 2.1. Current OS (both beta and official) still ask for WiFi.
    08-24-12 10:06 AM
    Its has been said that one of the changes in OS 2.1 would be the ability to set up without wifi. That update has not been released yet.
    08-24-12 10:09 AM
    As diegonei said, that's coming with the official release of 2.1. What it really means, I believe, is that the new Playbooks (WIFI or LTE) will be shipped with a high version of 2.0 already installed and operational. That would mean that one could simply open the box and start using the tablet rather than being forced to go through the setup and downloading the most current version of the software. You would still have the option of updating it whenever is most convenient, but you just wouldn't be forced to update in order to first start using the tablet.
    diegonei likes this.
    08-24-12 10:18 AM
    Its has been said that one of the changes in OS 2.1 would be the ability to set up without wifi. That update has not been released yet.
    Thanks for the answer. What i mean to ask is, 'is it certain that playbook wont ask for wifi during initial set up, once final version of OS 2.1 is released?
    08-24-12 10:20 AM
    Thanks for the answer. What i mean to ask is, 'is it certain that playbook wont ask for wifi during initial set up, once final version of OS 2.1 is released?
    Yes, once final 2.1 is released.... Welcome to CRACKBERRY!
    08-24-12 10:26 AM
    As diegonei said, that's coming with the official release of 2.1. What it really means, I believe, is that the new Playbooks (WIFI or LTE) will be shipped with a high version of 2.0 already installed and operational. That would mean that one could simply open the box and start using the tablet rather than being forced to go through the setup and downloading the most current version of the software. You would still have the option of updating it whenever is most convenient, but you just wouldn't be forced to update in order to first start using the tablet.
    but it was nowhere mentioned that this point applies to new units only.
    08-24-12 10:28 AM
    Yes, once final 2.1 is released.... Welcome to CRACKBERRY!
    Thanks a lot!
    08-24-12 10:31 AM
    http://crackberry.com/rim-preparing-blackberry-playbook-os-21-rollout-playbook-4g-launch-nears
    08-24-12 10:48 AM
    If WiFi is not required during setup, would some other internet connection be required instead? Right now the forced connection solves at least two problems: stolen PBs, and vital security updates (read: rooting).
    08-24-12 11:16 AM
    If WiFi is not required during setup, would some other internet connection be required instead? Right now the forced connection solves at least two problems: stolen PBs, and vital security updates (read: rooting).
    you r right. But in case of stolen PBs, can't someone create a new bb id?
    08-24-12 11:52 AM
    you r right. But in case of stolen PBs, can't someone create a new bb id?
    The PIN can be blacklisted, and that cannot be recreated.
    08-24-12 12:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD