I need an explanation here.

I have my playbook connected to my BB via the bluetooth bridge, and it's bringing in my work emails, bbm etc via the Blackberry Bridge App.

I'm on a worksite, so there is no wifi AND I'm not using the tether function either. I'm only connected to my blackberry via the bridge.

I recently setup the native email app for my work email address because I prefer this interface over the blackberry bridge for emails and especially the calendar. I thought the only way I could receive emails via the native app was when I'm connected to wifi or using the internet tethering function.

How is it that I'm able receive emails in both applications - the blackberry bridge and the native email app if I'm only connected via the bridge - and my browser is able to surf.

Does the bridge allow an internet connection as well???

i would love an explanation.
    Old Ag likes this.
    09-11-12 12:54 PM
    Blackberry bridge functionality adds a lot of "tethering" functionality to app's, even without setting up Tethering.

it's likely that your native email client is still using your Bridged connection for it's updates.

There are quite a few app's, both native and Android that can use the bridge as if it were tethered and access internet resources.
    09-11-12 12:56 PM
    Does the bridge allow an internet connection as well???

i would love an explanation.
    Please don't be confused. One of the great things about the Bridge that it allows you to access the internet using the browser and most apps when WIFI is not available. As you noticed, the system automatically switches to using the Bridge whenever WiFi is not available (and vice versa). There are exceptions - for example App World, Video Chat and some other apps require a WiFi connection.
    09-11-12 01:06 PM
    Thanks.

I just wanting to be sure it wasn't some glitch where it was fully tethering but failing to indicate so.
    09-11-12 01:13 PM
    Found very few Playbook apps do not use the bridge internet commection... App world being one of them.... found a few but do not remember which one.... A really neat feature considering that in the old Bridge days you could only use Bridge Browser for internet access...... That is why they removed the Bridge Browser form the OS...
    09-11-12 01:18 PM
    Found very few Playbook apps do not use the bridge internet commection... App world being one of them.... found a few but do not remember which one.... A really neat feature considering that in the old Bridge days you could only use Bridge Browser for internet access...... That is why they removed the Bridge Browser form the OS...
    The ones I hoped to use bridged data MOST don't. quite frustrating.

the SSH clients i've tested that are android based DO NOT.
    World Of Warcraft Remote do not
    Remote Desktop does NOT

however.
    Browsers do
    Steam Client does
    email and calender synching does.

we should really put together a master list of Applications that do work over bridge and don't
    09-11-12 01:20 PM
    If your on your work connection, you may be connected to abes server..bridged will allow this...no mystery...
    09-11-12 07:32 PM
    So the Playbook is functioning beyond your expectations?
    Enjoy!
    09-11-12 08:16 PM
    I have found that my BB battery doesn't last as long when bridging to my Playbook and Native email is checking often. So, I stick to Bridge PIM stuff for the most part.
    09-11-12 10:41 PM
    I have found that my BB battery doesn't last as long when bridging to my Playbook and Native email is checking often. So, I stick to Bridge PIM stuff for the most part.
    Yes. I have been experiencing shorter battery life on my BB.

I switched the PB mail to manual refresh so that i can refresh at my request to save some BB juice.. However, i found my PB battery starts to drain.....
    Old Ag likes this.
    09-12-12 03:23 AM
    I think there is a bug in the Playbook Email software, when I choose Manual update, it drains the BlackBerry phone battery even faster. Now I set it to 4 hours or 24hrs if I even keep the account on the Playbook.
    09-13-12 02:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD