Yhh same my playbook is having the same problem wifi disconnects all the time....also the woman from rim did say many people are having the problem I am going to call them again today!!!
    Liar! you're just upping your post count right?

Let us know what advice they give. I'm curious to see if they have any new suggestions since I last called them a few weeks ago.
    03-21-12 08:26 PM
    Again, why can't some of you/us recognize the there are wifi issues.

As clearly stated, you can't barge into the the ship's communication room or the office of a major hotel and ask them to do you a favor and reboot their router or change their security settings.

Why don't other devices have these problems - that's what rim needs to discover so it can tweak the wifi on the pb. Obviously, self-help at home might help but as mentioned it is a portable device and frustrates the heck out of people who are just being mobile.
    Other devices do have issues. I have (my wife uses) an iPad2 that cannot use WiFi reliably without a reboot once a week. Over my 20 years as a network admin I have seen many routers that blow at handling DHCP. I have seen certain laptops that have issues. We use industrial hand helds where I work, and I've seen identical models made at the same time that have sequential serial numbers exhibit various levels of reliability on the very same WiFi network. ($1700.00 devices).

For absolute reliability use a wire. Set static IPs when you can and DHCP is not really needed (small home networks do not really need DHCP).

Other than that things can and do vary by device -- no matter who made it.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    03-21-12 08:26 PM

As clearly stated, you can't barge into the the ship's communication room or the office of a major hotel and ask them to do you a favor and reboot their router or change their security settings.

Why don't other devices have these problems - that's what rim needs to discover so it can tweak the wifi on the pb. Obviously, self-help at home might help but as mentioned it is a portable device and frustrates the heck out of people who are just being mobile.
    Brother we do realize there's something going on. BUT you MUST express your problem not emotions caused by the problem. Your problem will get addressed if you put it out here.
    Just saying I have a wifi connection problem is a thread title. Not a request for help.
    Why would Rim suggest a reboot? My thoughts is because it must not be a wide spresd problem as being told. There's no TSB on it. With blackberrys unless its a hardware failure or rogue app a reboot fixes most issues.
    If people call the help line and express their issue like they do here on the forums no wonder Rim tells em to reboot. I would tell ya to take an alive anf a glass of tea.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    03-21-12 08:53 PM
    Brother we do realize there's something going on. BUT you MUST express your problem not emotions caused by the problem. Your problem will get addressed if you put it out here.
    Just saying I have a wifi connection problem is a thread title. Not a request for help.
    Why would Rim suggest a reboot? My thoughts is because it must not be a wide spresd problem as being told. There's no TSB on it. With blackberrys unless its a hardware failure or rogue app a reboot fixes most issues.
    If people call the help line and express their issue like they do here on the forums no wonder Rim tells em to reboot. I would tell ya to take an alive anf a glass of tea.
    Who said RIM recommended a reboot? A few have said RIM recommend a security wipe though. You do do realize there is a difference, right? One only takes a few minutes, the other no so much....

I'm glad you have no issues, good for you (not being sarcastic). Some people get frustrated when a product does not perform as it should. I like my pb, so much so that I bought 2 more. Do I think there is a wifi problem with the pb? Yes I do. Those of us having problems aren't bashing, trolling, or anything else. So tell us what we need to do to fix the problem please....
    03-21-12 10:46 PM
    Who said RIM recommended a reboot? A few have said RIM recommend a security wipe though. You do do realize there is a difference, right? One only takes a few minutes, the other no so much....

I'm glad you have no issues, good for you (not being sarcastic). Some people get frustrated when a product does not perform as it should. I like my pb, so much so that I bought 2 more. Do I think there is a wifi problem with the pb? Yes I do. Those of us having problems aren't bashing, trolling, or anything else. So tell us what we need to do to fix the problem please....
    I read someone asked why Rim suggested a reboot. I cant find it now. Yes i know the difference between a security wipe and a reboot. By your description you might be alittle confused. But i also have the ability to understand you was being vage.
    A security wipe removes all data and returnssetting to factory. A reboot does just that. How ever it does clear memory usage ad forces apps off the clock.
    What should you do. 1 off explain your problem in detail. I went back and read all your posts. All you say is you get kicked and you have to reboot or manually reconnect. You even said you bought anew router. But what is going on
    Based what i read what i suggest is check your router's security. Change it from wpa2 if its set to it. Change dhcp to static ip. See how these work. Try to remember your habits while in the browser. Are you running alot of tabs.Is pages loading slow? Hanging up etc. Time of day when it happens. Is it at busy times and just might be getting kicked by the internet. How many devices is sharing the resources. Just to start things off.
    03-22-12 12:25 AM
    Since I bought the playbook on launch day wifi connectivity has been horrible, but I finally found out some things that worked to fix the issue.

Try some of these individually or in combination... For me they solved my issues

Turn off bluetooth
    Hold the playbook upright and do not rest hands on the top corners
    Most important, drag your wifi to the top of the wifi list under saved networks option
    Or remove other networks from the saved network list

This last issue is most important especially above any free or guest networks from your neighbors which might have a higher signal. This was the biggest cause of dropped signals for me as I went out of range and the playbook tried to connect to the open network that somehow got on my saved network list. If the open network ends up higher on your list, playbook will preference that making the issue worse. I didn't realize you could drag the order of wifi networks listed under settings until I read it somewhere on crackberry. It's not obvious you can do this but it did solve the drop issue for me, in combination with the other ideas. I was also shocked by how much playbook would lose signal strength to my wifi when I put my hands over the top corners.
    Last edited by askCase; 03-22-12 at 01:10 AM.
    FF22 likes this.
    03-22-12 01:02 AM

I agree there seems to be a problem but I have to think it is PB software related.
    My PB and several others have no WiFi problems. I connect at home, hotels, city buses with no problems. I also have a portable router that I use for locations that have wired access only.
    Just because I have no problems doesn't mean others aren't but this does lead me to believe that the problems can be overcome without involving the router in question unless you have problems with the router and other WiFi devices. I wonder if there are different WiFi radios used in Playbooks?
    03-22-12 05:16 AM
    I've had significant issues with wireless disconnecting, always plenty of signal, loads of other devices none of which have any issues.

For no reason the wireless drops and the PlayBook says it can't find any wireless networks. My normal thing is to switch wireless off on pb wait 10 seconds, switch it on, open saved networks, hold finger down on wireless network and then open logs. It seems as if the pb locks itself out of all wifi use and you have to do something to kick it back into life. I swapped my security from wpa2 to wpa which seemed to help a bit.

I also find the pb randomly recorders the wifi networks in the list. They're meant to be in order of preference so I keep my home at top, but eg recently I had to reboot shortly after wifi died and when I checked the wifi profiles had shuffled about in the list.
    03-22-12 05:49 AM
    With OS 1.X, I thought the wifi on the playbook was poo, but with OS 2, these issues I had have gone away. While the playbook has always worked well at home, at work, we have several wifi networks and they all serve different purposes. With OS 1.8, it seemed like the playbook would switch randomly from one wifi connection to the other. Really annoying when only one of those wifi connections has internet access.
    03-22-12 06:30 AM
    I don�t have the drop issue, but i can�t add new wifi spots. I can only connect with wifi spots than i add before.
    isotack likes this.
    03-22-12 06:59 AM
    So tell us what we need to do to fix the problem please....
    I've been taking a look around wifi settings and I found if you go into wifi status/diagnostic information you can find out some info on your connection. There's even a log. Take a look when you get disconnected next time and see if there's event that may give a clue to why. You get to wifi status by going into settings/wifi at the bottom is a wifi symbol with a help sign.
    03-22-12 05:49 PM
    I would delete the wifi profile on the PB, reboot and then install the wifi profile,enter again.
    03-22-12 06:28 PM
    I am also one of the unlucky ones with Wifi issues. I love my playbook, but the wifi drops get more annoying by the day!! When connected via bluetooth I have no problems, but wifi is just horrible and it seems to get worse every day. Sometimes it just stops downloading all together or it gets slower and slower!

And a note to everybody unhelpful in this forum who is suggesting that people complaining about wifi drops are too stupid or should simply use WEP (which is insecure by the way):

IF YOU USE YOUR PLAYBOOK IN A CORPORATE NETWORK YOU CANNOT SIMPLY CHANGE WIFI SETTINGS!!! No IT department on the planet will change Wifi settings to an insecure standart, so an occasional playbook user can use his/her playbook; especially if no other device in the company has any issues.

RIM FIX THIS /)($/()
    03-28-12 07:42 AM
    My BB phones and PBs all connect automatically to all of these routers without problems now except for one of two Linksys WRT54G routers (hot spots) at our office which was rock solid with several other devices including my phone until I got a new 64gb PB. It would not connect to it no matter what I did, so deleted the profile from the PB, rebooted and let my BB phone re-add the profile to the PB and all has been fine since.
    Does anyone know what the steps are to do this? I've got no luck getting my PlayBook on a corporate Wi-Fi network and I'd like to try this workaround.

Edit: According to this news item, it happens automatically when a phone is bridged? Hmm, I guess that's what I'll try once my phone is charged.
    03-28-12 09:33 AM
    Does anyone know what the steps are to do this? I've got no luck getting my PlayBook on a corporate Wi-Fi network and I'd like to try this workaround.

Edit: According to this news item, it happens automatically when a phone is bridged? Hmm, I guess that's what I'll try once my phone is charged.
    Under settings/WIFI/ saved networks-
    Tap the pencil and then the trash can to delete that network.
    If your BB phone is on that network, the bridge app will add it automatically to your PB.
    03-28-12 09:40 AM
    Under settings/WIFI/ saved networks-
    Tap the pencil and then the trash can to delete that network.
    If your BB phone is on that network, the bridge app will add it automatically to your PB.
    Got it. Unfortunately, my BlackBerry phone can't get onto the corporate Wi-Fi network here either, so I'm back to square one. Poor RIM really knows how to screw their own chances up. The "enterprise ready" PlayBook owner goes to work and his/her tablet can't get on the network there. The "fun" iPad owner goes to work and has no problems at all.
    Stephen_TX likes this.
    03-28-12 02:32 PM
    Now that 2.1 is here are all still experiencing the constant "Drop"? I have both a 16 GB and 64 GB and have had "0" problems with the 16 GB but now repeated "Drops" with the 64 GB after update to 2.1. It can not be a router issue if other devises have no connectivity problems on the same router. Tests on home router show all is in working order and set to "Auto" for channel (0-11) in my case.

The most recent action I have taken is to delete all other saved networks and will see how that may help things out. As a reference point I went on to look at my carrier and router settings trouble shooting and noticed that they list everything under the sun for other wireless devises "EXCEPT RIM's PB or PHONES"......... I am using Qwest Actiontec Q1000 router...

Again no issues with (9850, PS3, PC's, 16GB PB) but 64GB PB runing 2.1 constant drop out with Q1000 router.
    10-07-12 09:59 AM
    My wifi worked perfectly until I sent my playbook to have the mini usb port repaired. Now I can only get a weak signal if in the same room as router and I've tried in three different houses so it's an issue with the tablet for sure. Tech support told me it was a software issue and would be fixed with the next update. Update came and it didn't fix. I think they screwed up something during repair
    10-07-12 12:14 PM
    Now that 2.1 is here are all still experiencing the constant "Drop"? I have both a 16 GB and 64 GB and have had "0" problems with the 16 GB but now repeated "Drops" with the 64 GB after update to 2.1. It can not be a router issue if other devises have no connectivity problems on the same router. Tests on home router show all is in working order and set to "Auto" for channel (0-11) in my case.

The most recent action I have taken is to delete all other saved networks and will see how that may help things out. As a reference point I went on to look at my carrier and router settings trouble shooting and noticed that they list everything under the sun for other wireless devises "EXCEPT RIM's PB or PHONES"......... I am using Qwest Actiontec Q1000 router...

Again no issues with (9850, PS3, PC's, 16GB PB) but 64GB PB runing 2.1 constant drop out with Q1000 router.
    Instead of deleting the other wifi networks that are saved on your PB, delete the problematic wifi network itself from the list of saved networks on your 64 GB PB. Reboot the PB, then go into the PB's wifi settings and set it up again. Pretty sure this will work based on my own experience and other posts I've read here on CB.com since OS 2.1 came out. Try it and let us know how you make out. If this approach doesn't work, there may be other troubleshooting ideas.
    10-07-12 12:17 PM
    Instead of deleting the other wifi networks that are saved on your PB, delete the problematic wifi network itself from the list of saved networks on your 64 GB PB. Reboot the PB, then go into the PB's wifi settings and set it up again. Pretty sure this will work based on my own experience and other posts I've read here on CB.com since OS 2.1 came out. Try it and let us know how you make out. If this approach doesn't work, there may be other troubleshooting ideas.
    this is likely the best move, the most comprehensive. however, I found throughout the 2.1 beta and into official that reinputting the network password on the pb fixed the same issue (64gb, various wifi routers). apologies if this is already suggezted, but I skimmed the thread.
    10-07-12 12:23 PM
    this is likely the best move, the most comprehensive. however, I found throughout the 2.1 beta and into official that reinputting the network password on the pb fixed the same issue (64gb, various wifi routers). apologies if this is already suggezted, but I skimmed the thread.
    Thanks and did so already and will update if this issue still exists. So far no drop but I have stayed close to the router if this was a signal strength problem. The only newly saved network on the PB is my qwest addy now......
    10-07-12 12:41 PM
    My wifi worked perfectly until I sent my playbook to have the mini usb port repaired. Now I can only get a weak signal if in the same room as router and I've tried in three different houses so it's an issue with the tablet for sure. Tech support told me it was a software issue and would be fixed with the next update. Update came and it didn't fix. I think they screwed up something during repair
    Well the issue has been logged by RIM then. Have you called them back? I would be asking for a replacement.
    10-07-12 01:11 PM
    IF YOU USE YOUR PLAYBOOK IN A CORPORATE NETWORK YOU CANNOT SIMPLY CHANGE WIFI SETTINGS!!! No IT department on the planet will change Wifi settings to an insecure standart, so an occasional playbook user can use his/her playbook; especially if no other device in the company has any issues.
    I guess so and even at home, there is no reason to touch your router if all other devices can connect properly. RIM must provide wifi connection to all major standards, or else it must be stated somewhere before buying.

Professional-grade tablet my a..
    10-07-12 05:50 PM
    am i the only one who doesnt hsve any problems with their playbook
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    10-07-12 08:08 PM
    All seems to be holding up as day two is on and no drop out since clearing all saved networks and resetting primary on router.
    10-08-12 07:27 AM
146 ... 3456
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD