3/22/12 I want to make a slight amendment to this post. After further using of my browser, I am finding that it does close itself on occasion (in other words, crashes), which puzzles me. At the original time of this post, that issue didn't happen with me. Oh well. Maybe it'll be fixed in a future OS update.

I've also been Blessed with being one of the lucky ones in terms of my wifi.

I've also had no issues at all with it.

That also goes for my browser and android player.

Maybe I just have a rock solid unit..who knows....
    Last edited by Chaviv; 03-22-12 at 01:18 PM.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-20-12 12:13 PM
    I'm typing this with my laptop because my PlayBook just crapped out on the connection...again. It only lasts 5-6 pages then it either quits or takes 3-5 minutes to load a page. Our three laptops, home media server, three phones, Roku, BluRay player, Dish Network receiver & daughter's iPad all work fine, so I guess it's just stupid to "blame it on the PlayBook".

I feel your pain James, and when you look all over these forums you'll see a lot of people who have problems because the PlayBook is ridiculously picky when it comes to WiFi connections. I mean, how dare you use standard WPA2 security that works with every other device on the planet. Until it's fixed, I'm stuck with an inoperable internet connection unless I leave the house because the PlayBook won't play nice with my router (the old one I was using or the new one I bought to try and fix the problem). I'm not about to just go out and keep buying new routers until I get lucky.
    ^^^^this^^^^ Both of my pbs drop the wifi constantly, and I also bought a brand new router trying to solve the problem. Even did a security wipe and reload on one per RIM's tech support. The girl I spoke with said many people were having wifi issues and sometimes a wipe fixed it.
    03-20-12 12:14 PM
    It's amazing how my PB works flawless on my router and I'm using wpk2 settings btw or right now at work using wep settings and it doesn't drop, AND the router at work is a piece of crap too! LOL I don't get the reasons why others are having so much trouble?!
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-20-12 12:31 PM
    I have two playbooks and one always seems to drops conection for a little while the onle way to connect is by pushing the wps button then its fine for a while but the other no problams
    03-20-12 12:38 PM
    ^^^^this^^^^ Both of my pbs drop the wifi constantly, and I also bought a brand new router trying to solve the problem. Even did a security wipe and reload on one per RIM's tech support. The girl I spoke with said many people were having wifi issues and sometimes a wipe fixed it.
    I did the security wipe as well, changed nearly every setting in the old and new router one at a time, including turning security completely off to test it. Very tedious so after 3-4 hours and $80 for a new router, I give up. I hate Apple with a passion, but I guess I'm stuck using my app testing iPad to browse the web at home.
    03-20-12 12:42 PM
    WiFi issues can be from various sources. Without you providing more info it is impossible to tell if the issue is the PlayBook or any of the 10 other things it could be.

One easy thing to do though. Download one of those WiFi analyzers that will reveal what other AP's in your area are using in terms of channel assignments. Make sure your router is using the least used channel. (1, 6, or 11 -- choose one of those).

It is possible that one of your neighbors has moved channels and is interfering with your AP.

That said if you have no neighbors and/or there are no other AP's near you -- and that is not the issue, well without more info we'd have no way to know. Just a stab in the dark here.

[Edit]. Ok I see you added more info-- that being your other devices are not having issues. Are you configuring the connection the same way on all of them? For example some routers can handle mixed modes of authentication, etc. Make sure the PlayBook is using the same band (G/N) and also the same method to authenticate. Set these things manually to be sure.

If that fails try assigning your PlayBook static IP and DNS addresses. I have found over the years that DHCP can be buggy between certain devices and routers. For example I have many devices on my home LAN using WiFi. Yet my wife has an iPad2 that sometimes will stop connecting to the WiFi unless rebooted. She's using DHCP and on my PlayBook I use a static IP and have no issue. In this case I know the DHCP on the router is crap. So I work around it.
    Last edited by southlander; 03-20-12 at 12:51 PM.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-20-12 12:43 PM
    Hello,,

I use to have wifi issues before 2.0. It is rock solid at home but it was not outside. After the 2.0 update it works great. Ive watched long soccer games (playbook has saved my life) I love soccer and well i love my playbook super great. But the browser does crash quite a bit. Not during the games which is great if not i probably would have trashed the poor thing hahaha

you might want to clear out stuff or so. But the crashing yeah i hope it gets fixed.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-20-12 12:43 PM
    Not sure what OP or others with problem want? If you guys are really looking for help in troubleshooting you need to provide more details such as router model, make, wifi type, security, channel, other network topology, did you try it with open no security to see if the connect is dropping? Did you try changing the channel? How many clients is your router set to support etc.
    Willard814 and torndownunit like this.
    03-20-12 12:47 PM
    There are so many factors that can play into a troublesome wifi connection. it could be the walls in your home/apt. cheap or crapy modem/router and most importantly how the router/ modem is configured. Why not just call tech support and have them help you out? I have never gone wrong by calling tech support. I would start with RIM tech support and then I would call the router/modem tech support. It's all too easy to blame the PB, but there are at least 100 other variables that effect your connection.
    Are you even reading the thread? The reason it's easy to blame the playbook is because NO OTHER DEVICE ON MY NETWORK IS HAVING ANY PROBLEMS. It's not the walls in my home/apt., it's not cheap or crapy modem/router and it's not how the router/modem is configured.
    03-20-12 12:50 PM
    I've had my Playbook for 4 weeks today and it's worked fine over my home network. Now as of yesterday It's dropping the connection constantly and the only way I can reconnect is by using the WPS button on my router.

So, what do we have with 2.0?

Unstable WiFi
    Crashing browser
    Unstable android player

smdh
    I had a similar experience, so I deleted the connection and recreated manually. All is well, now.
    Willard814 and Hgouck like this.
    03-20-12 12:56 PM
    Are you even reading the thread? The reason it's easy to blame the playbook is because NO OTHER DEVICE ON MY NETWORK IS HAVING ANY PROBLEMS. It's not the walls in my home/apt., it's not cheap or crapy modem/router and it's not how the router/modem is configured.
    I would suggest trying your PlayBook on another WiFi network. Ideally one that uses the same band/encryption. If you still have issues, try a device wipe. If you still have issues I would have to say the hardware has failed in some way on the PB.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-20-12 01:02 PM
    It is easier to blame the playbook. I have a structered wireless mesh setup here at work using a WPA2 (enterprise with radius authentication). When roaming from one access point to the next, the playbook WILL drop occasionally. No other device does this that I have tested, wether it's a torch 9800, 9810, 8300, various laptops, Iphone4s, or HTC Amaze etc. This inlcudes the nifty little setting on the playbook "Allow inter-access point handover" on or off.

There is also connection issues when going from work to home and back again.

I never had this problem with my playbook on OS1, now, on OS2, I have multiple problems with the wireless.

So yeah, I'm going to blame the OS2.
    I'm typing this with my laptop because my PlayBook just crapped out on the connection...again. It only lasts 5-6 pages then it either quits or takes 3-5 minutes to load a page. Our three laptops, home media server, three phones, Roku, BluRay player, Dish Network receiver & daughter's iPad all work fine, so I guess it's just stupid to "blame it on the PlayBook".

I feel your pain James, and when you look all over these forums you'll see a lot of people who have problems because the PlayBook is ridiculously picky when it comes to WiFi connections. I mean, how dare you use standard WPA2 security that works with every other device on the planet. Until it's fixed, I'm stuck with an inoperable internet connection unless I leave the house because the PlayBook won't play nice with my router (the old one I was using or the new one I bought to try and fix the problem). I'm not about to just go out and keep buying new routers until I get lucky.

It is a lot easier to blame people when the device you have is working correctly. I see a lot of threads like "Man, my browser keeps crashing" or "My icons keep disappearing, how do I fix it?"

You will get the patented response of "Must be user error, works perfect for me." Some people can't understand the fact that not all devices behave the same with many different users who have many different usage patterns.
    mikeplus1 and an1malch1n like this.
    03-20-12 02:01 PM
    Of course it isn't it's your crapy PB! I bet you wouldn't have those problems if it were an iPad! lmao FYI Just because other devices connect to your network doesn't automatically mean it's not any of the things I mentioned. Electronic device can be very tricky, but hey you already know what the problem is! Wonder whats taking you so long to fix it?
    ER...you do know this wifi issue isn't new, right? We've had to RMA about 7 Playbooks including out demo since the PB launch for the wifi thing.

You're acting like its an unheard of issue. Its not. And there was no need for you to take the tone your post took. Dude is frustrated and he's right to be.

Sent from mah braiiiiinzzzz using
    Tapatalk
    yoonique likes this.
    03-20-12 02:24 PM
    ER...you do know this wifi issue isn't new, right? We've had to RMA about 7 Playbooks including out demo since the PB launch for the wifi thing.

You're acting like its an unheard of issue. Its not. And there was no need for you to take the tone your post took. Dude is frustrated and he's right to be.

Sent from mah braiiiiinzzzz using
    Tapatalk
    I never said it wasn't an issue, but it is an issue that can either be fixed or the OP could have a bad PB unit (which isn't unheard of). Why hasn't the OP contacted tech support for the devices in question? Why hasn't the OP provide more information about the issue like make and model of devices and settings? As you may know when deal with an issue such as this there could be a plethora of variables in which to fix the issue. I have NEVER had a network connection problem that I could not fix either on my own or with the help of tech support. As for my tone I only mirrored the OP, I can't help it if you or the OP have thin skin. But I would like to take this opportunity to apologize if I have offended or hurt anyone's feelings.
    03-20-12 02:53 PM
    It is a lot easier to blame people when the device you have is working correctly. I see a lot of threads like "Man, my browser keeps crashing" or "My icons keep disappearing, how do I fix it?"

You will get the patented response of "Must be user error, works perfect for me." Some people can't understand the fact that not all devices behave the same with many different users who have many different usage patterns.
    True. But when posting and pinpointing the blame on the device without providing enough details in the original post, one is likely to get that treatment. If the OP is thorough in terms of detailing what has been tried/observed/configured then it disarms folks who would reply as you mention.

But I see lots of posts that are like "this PB is crap and has faulty WiFi". Then people pile on with criticism. Then the OP will fill in some details that should have been stated at the top; and then will start getting legitimately helpful replies.
    03-20-12 03:02 PM
    Gotta run it on only G setting, as soon as I changed it to that it hasn't dropped connection once, and this was after everyday or two having to unplug the router to make it work again. Since changing to only G it's been golden. Had it at N/G before.

I even secretly changed the router settings at my aunts house to only G cause it would have the same problems there, shhhh, lol.

Oh and these are D-Link routers.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-20-12 03:10 PM
    I did the security wipe as well, changed nearly every setting in the old and new router one at a time, including turning security completely off to test it. Very tedious so after 3-4 hours and $80 for a new router, I give up. I hate Apple with a passion, but I guess I'm stuck using my app testing iPad to browse the web at home.
    Have you tried an Apple Extreme router. I first ran into connection problems with a Bold 9000 and changing to an Apple router cured it. No problems with the Playbook and the Apple Extreme router either.

This summer after an OS upgrade of the PlayBook my Dlink at the cottage became problematic and when I replaced the router with an Apple Extreme, the problem went away. Incidentally, a guest at the cottage was also having connectivity problems with a Dell laptop and the Dlink.

One final tidbit, I bought one of the Telus 32gb Playbooks and had problems dowloading the initital update. It was on the very early 1.0.0.04 or something like that. When I gave up on the slow dowloading and tired again, I chose the 5ghz SSID of the Apple Extreme and the download just flew by. Once updated it worked on either band/SSId of the router.
    Last edited by robsteve; 03-20-12 at 03:24 PM.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-20-12 03:17 PM
    Have you tried an Apple Extreme router. I first ran into connection problems with a Bold 9000 and changing to an Apple router cured it. No problems with the Playbook and the Apple Extreme router either.

This summer after an OS upgrade of the PlayBook my Dlink at the cottage became problematic and when I replaced the router with an Apple Extreme, the problem went away. Incidentally, a guest at the cottage was also having connectivity problems with a Dell laptop and the Dlink.

One final tidbit, I bought one of the Telus 32gb Playbooks and had problems dowloading the initital update. It was on the very early 1.0.0.04 or something like that. When I gave up on the slow dowloading and tired again, I chose the 5ghz SSID of the Apple Extreme and the download just flew by. Once updated it worked on either band/SSId of the router.
    I have used Apple routers on two different occasions once while on vacation on the Outer Banks and at my friends house. Both times the Apple brand routers worked flawlessly. Almost bought one but couldn't justify it with the wife since ours (D-link & Netgear) still work just fine.
    03-20-12 03:29 PM
    I have used Apple routers on two different occasions once while on vacation on the Outer Banks and at my friends house. Both times the Apple brand routers worked flawlessly. Almost bought one but couldn't justify it with the wife since ours (D-link & Netgear) still work just fine.
    In Canada, the Apple routers are only marginally more expensive than the other high end simultaneous dual band routers, though you can find the others discounted sometimes. Apple includes free shipping and unless the discounted other brand routers have really cheap shipping they are even closer in price. In the USA, the other brands high end routers can be found on sale with much better prices.
    Last edited by robsteve; 03-20-12 at 03:37 PM.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-20-12 03:31 PM

People like the OP leaves the complaint way to open. Some posters reply theirs I working implyes that the device is capable of connecting. Why don't people having problems post their settings and how they are going about doing whatever they are trying to do? There's some of us ou hefe that will go out of our way to replicate the issue and find a solution if there is one.
    Willard814 and AggreX like this.
    03-20-12 03:46 PM
    No other device on my network was having an issue but my new iMac. It eems to be a a Lion issue a lot of people are experiencing, but not everyone. Tons of people are having no issue whatsoever, sort of like your problem. Changing the channel on the router solved the problem and it has never returned. People are suggesting it to try to help out, not to belittle you or your problem.

As with my iMac, you either have to decide if it's a big enough issue to return it or contact RIM... or explore all other options. I decided changing one simple router setting was easier. You may decide differently.
    03-20-12 03:55 PM
    I've had my Playbook for 4 weeks today and it's worked fine over my home network. Now as of yesterday It's dropping the connection constantly and the only way I can reconnect is by using the WPS button on my router.

So, what do we have with 2.0?

Unstable WiFi
    Crashing browser
    Unstable android player

smdh
    Unplug your WiFi router for 1 minute, plug back in for 5 then see how it works. Many routers will act up due to power bumps and the above steps will help.

If that doesn't work use the 3 finger salute. Hold both volume keys and the power button down at the same time, ignore anything you see on the screen. Eventually the display will go blank. Set your PB down and leave it alone for a few minutes to reboot.

Connect to your network andcsee what happens.
    03-20-12 04:18 PM
    What WiFi problem? I have none.............thread title over the top, don't you think?
    alnamvet68, AggreX and Willard814 like this.
    03-20-12 04:46 PM
    I have a wide mix of routers of various brands (Netgear, D-Link, Linksys, etc, etc) that I connect to on a regular basis, both open and closed as well as hidden and non hidden SSIDs, N-band, G-band, dual band, etc. These include multiple routers at home and at work as well as at friends houses and in public places, some are WEP, WPA personal and WPA2 personal as well as WPA Enterprise and WPA2 Enterprise. My BB phones and PBs all connect automatically to all of these routers without problems now except for one of two Linksys WRT54G routers (hot spots) at our office which was rock solid with several other devices including my phone until I got a new 64gb PB. It would not connect to it no matter what I did, so deleted the profile from the PB, rebooted and let my BB phone re-add the profile to the PB and all has been fine since. There are other threads with suggested router settings, etc too, but I never had to reset/reboot a single router or change any setting on over a dozen various routers that I use to get them to work for me.

Also, I have had an occasional browser crash and most everyone will if they use the native browser enough and other browsers will as well, sooner or later, but it will happen even with just normal browsing on any PB, not often for me at least, not even every day, but no biggie for me really, so far anyway. I have seen this with other devices as well though, so not gonna put all of the blame on the PB or software because I also know some websites are just not compatible.

Finally, no real problems with the Android Player for me, maybe there are some unstable apps floating around out there, lol.

Good luck to the OP (and anyone else experiencing any of these type issues) and I hope you get it resolved soon.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-20-12 04:48 PM
    Try setting your router to use DHCP to reserve a specific IP address for your PB. I suspect that when the router was accidentally unplugged your router assigned a new IP to the PB and now it can't connect because the PB thinks it should use a different IP. I could be very wrong and not know what I'm talking about, but that's where I would start. It's not the WPA2 setting. My PB connects just fine with that. And I use mixed network mode. You don't have a mac filter in place, do you? I may not have read every post so I'll ask, did you already try removing that network connection from your PB, doing a hard reset, then re-adding the network?
    03-20-12 05:56 PM
146 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD