I've had my Playbook for 4 weeks today and it's worked fine over my home network. Now as of yesterday It's dropping the connection constantly and the only way I can reconnect is by using the WPS button on my router.

So, what do we have with 2.0?

Unstable WiFi
    Crashing browser
    Unstable android player

smdh
    03-20-12 10:01 AM
    Wifi on my playbook is rock solid, I always reconnect and never drop, hmmm maybe i'm lucky
    CDM76, xantius and lockedtight like this.
    03-20-12 10:04 AM
    Too bad about your wifi experience. No issues on wifi with either PB no matter where I go: home>McD>Panera/StarBucks>work etc. Search the threads on router tips or solutions / try other locations with better wifi?
    micodez likes this.
    03-20-12 10:08 AM
    I've had my Playbook for 4 weeks today and it's worked fine over my home network. Now as of yesterday It's dropping the connection constantly and the only way I can reconnect is by using the WPS button on my router.

Unstable WiFi
    Crashing browser
    Unstable android player

smdh
    With respect to you WiFi problem, are you absolutely certain that there is no reason other than a PB failure that would account for the problem? The reason that I am asking is that you have started to encounter the problem only yesterday (and you have had the device for 4 weeks). Perhaps some serious troubleshooting is in order. Have you checked WiFi performance on other networks (e..g. public hotspots) to determine if the PB is actually faulty?
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-20-12 10:10 AM

Unstable WiFi
    Crashing browser
    Unstable android player

smdh
    I've been very lucky with my wifi, crossing fingers.

But yes, the browser does crash a lot for me as well
    03-20-12 10:12 AM
    Set your router to WAP or WEP, don't use WAP2. Playbook currently has some issues with WAP2 causing disconnections, or even not connecting. It also has to do with type of WAP2. For example, enterprise WAP2 works fine.
    03-20-12 10:13 AM
    No wifi issues, ever. But ya my browser crashes once in a wile. Only after the 2.0 update though, so I bet its going to be fixed.
    Update please.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 03-20-12 at 10:18 AM.
    03-20-12 10:15 AM
    Set your router to WAP or WEP, don't use WAP2. Playbook currently has some issues with WAP2 causing disconnections, or even not connecting. It also has to do with type of WAP2. For example, enterprise WAP2 works fine.
    My router is set to WPA Personal. I have 3 desktops, a laptop and my Phone that connect to the network with no issues. I haven't tested the playbook out of the house just yet but it does still connect to my phone via tethering. btw, when it connects to my phone it's using WPA2 Personal.

As I said this just started happening and I'm certain it's not a problem with my home network since no of my other devices are having this issue.
    03-20-12 10:30 AM
    I love my PlayBook, but I also have some wifi issues. It was originally working great, but I had to change my wifi password and ever since, the PlayBook will not save my new password. Now everyday the wifi will drop, I try to connect, it doesn’t work, says that the network has been disabled, I click on it and see that it still says the old password. I know this because the old password was 10 characters and the new one is only 8. I update the password and then it connects.

I feel like I have tried everything to get it to save the new password, but it won’t. I have updated the password and clicked, Save and Save and Connect. I’ve deleted the profile and tried to re-add it. Even before OS 2 came out I did a complete security wipe, so that I could have a fresh PlayBook for the update. When I connected to the wifi for the first time again it worked but then the next day is says disabled and even has my old password is in there. It makes no sense to me. I can get it working, but it is a hassle and annoyance to have to do this everyday. Has anyone else seen this? Also, a question to the OP, did you change your wifi password recently?

Side note is that I have 3 PlayBooks on my network, and it doesn't seem to be happening to all of them.
    03-20-12 10:41 AM
    Rock solid here...before and after OS update; I guess it's a lot easier to blame the PlayBook.
    03-20-12 10:46 AM
    I love my PlayBook, but I also have some wifi issues. It was originally working great, but I had to change my wifi password and ever since, the PlayBook will not save my new password. Now everyday the wifi will drop, I try to connect, it doesn�t work, says that the network has been disabled, I click on it and see that it still says the old password. I know this because the old password was 10 characters and the new one is only 8. I update the password and then it connects.

I feel like I have tried everything to get it to save the new password, but it won�t. I have updated the password and clicked, Save and Save and Connect. I�ve deleted the profile and tried to re-add it. Even before OS 2 came out I did a complete security wipe, so that I could have a fresh PlayBook for the update. When I connected to the wifi for the first time again it worked but then the next day is says disabled and even has my old password is in there. It makes no sense to me. I can get it working, but it is a hassle and annoyance to have to do this everyday. Has anyone else seen this? Also, a question to the OP, did you change your wifi password recently?

Side note is that I have 3 PlayBooks on my network, and it doesn't seem to be happening to all of them.
    I haven't changed my password recently but now that you've mentioned that and thinking about it I do recall that my wife accidently unplugged the router while cleaning on Sunday and the issues with my Playbook started soon after that. Thing is none of my other devices are having any problems. But this playbook is now dropping the connection and will not reconnect unless I push that WPS button on the router.
    03-20-12 10:50 AM
    I have 2 playbooks connected to my home router on WEP2 and never had a problem. I am also connected to my work's WIFI on WEP2 without any problems. The only time I had a problem was when I downloaded app Playon on my laptop and playbook to watch movies. Whenever I tried to connect playbook to laptop the WIFI dropped on playbook and laptop and I had to reboot the router. After deleting to Playon app no problems at all.
    03-20-12 11:09 AM
    I use WPA2 and have not had any problems which I can isolate as anything other than my slow Internet connection (cable). I will probably upgrade my Internet connection but need to decide whether to continue with the cable company or switch to the telephone company. They all lie about the speeds though and the fine print always says "connection speed advertised is the maximum throughput and may not be achieved by all subscribers." Yeah!
    03-20-12 11:18 AM
    I used to have WIFI connection issues until I bumped into a fix written by someone's post in this forum, and it was right on.

Essentially, don't select "auto ip mode". Instead, connect manually, and provide a static ip, default gateway (very important), primary DNS and Secondary DNS. The last three bits of data can be obtained from any WIFI connected laptop or desktop in your house. Good luck.
    03-20-12 11:28 AM
    Had this issue with my Launch day Playbook 32 GB.

Options to resolve

1) Hard Reset playbook - hold down + and - and Power button until it resets. See if the problem persists.

2) Power Cycle the router. - pull cord and let it sit for a while - These boxes are run on linux and sometimes have issues.

3) Replace your router and test again.

4) Reload the os on your playbook by plugging it into your computer while turned off and click yes when desktop manager asks to update it (this wipes all your content on your playbook, make sure you've previously successfully backed up the content)

5) After trying 1 and 2 and 4 call Blackberry Support. They will ask you what you have done and to try a security wipe. Since you will already have done this, they will give you and RMA for a replacement.

My Replacement Playbook hasn't had the wifi issues like my first one and best of all my power button is raised so i can actually use it!
    Last edited by adrenaline_x; 03-20-12 at 11:44 AM.
    Stewartj1 likes this.
    03-20-12 11:29 AM
    Well, I'm not sure if this has been covered in this thread - REMOVE the wifi connection from the pb and then re-add it. Maybe that UNPLUG did adversely affect only the pb? Also, apartment or close neighbors might have added or changed their cordless phones or their routers?
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-20-12 11:40 AM
    Do you know anything about network configurations?
    03-20-12 11:47 AM
    my wifi connection dropped once in a while BEFORE OS2, all i had to do was reselect it from the wifi screen.

my browser crashed once in a while BEFORE OS2

but since the update, I've had no problems with wifi or browser. The wifi has been really good for me since I travel with my pb a lot , and it always automatically connects to the wifi.
    03-20-12 11:48 AM
    Rock solid here...before and after OS update; I guess it's a lot easier to blame the PlayBook.
    It is easier to blame the playbook. I have a structered wireless mesh setup here at work using a WPA2 (enterprise with radius authentication). When roaming from one access point to the next, the playbook WILL drop occasionally. No other device does this that I have tested, wether it's a torch 9800, 9810, 8300, various laptops, Iphone4s, or HTC Amaze etc. This inlcudes the nifty little setting on the playbook "Allow inter-access point handover" on or off.

There is also connection issues when going from work to home and back again.

I never had this problem with my playbook on OS1, now, on OS2, I have multiple problems with the wireless.

So yeah, I'm going to blame the OS2.
    03-20-12 11:55 AM
    I'm typing this with my laptop because my PlayBook just crapped out on the connection...again. It only lasts 5-6 pages then it either quits or takes 3-5 minutes to load a page. Our three laptops, home media server, three phones, Roku, BluRay player, Dish Network receiver & daughter's iPad all work fine, so I guess it's just stupid to "blame it on the PlayBook".

I feel your pain James, and when you look all over these forums you'll see a lot of people who have problems because the PlayBook is ridiculously picky when it comes to WiFi connections. I mean, how dare you use standard WPA2 security that works with every other device on the planet. Until it's fixed, I'm stuck with an inoperable internet connection unless I leave the house because the PlayBook won't play nice with my router (the old one I was using or the new one I bought to try and fix the problem). I'm not about to just go out and keep buying new routers until I get lucky.
    03-20-12 12:00 PM
    So strange. It is worse than 1.8. It is better than 1.8. Never had a problem. Always a problem.

I would say since the pb should be the same beyond android apps and settings people can change the thing that might be the same or different is all the routers.

I have to say I'm lucky here also as I've never had a problem with wifi dropping on any of the OS versions. I'm starting to think they had some faulty hardware get thru.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-20-12 12:01 PM
    Wifi on my playbook is rock solid, I always reconnect and never drop, hmmm maybe i'm lucky
    Yes!!! You're so lucky!! Because mines dropped the wifi every day
    03-20-12 12:06 PM
    I've had a PlayBook since April 22, 2011 and one thing I've never had a problem with is the WiFi.
    03-20-12 12:08 PM
    I love my PlayBook, but I also have some wifi issues. It was originally working great, but I had to change my wifi password and ever since, the PlayBook will not save my new password. Now everyday the wifi will drop, I try to connect, it doesn�t work, says that the network has been disabled, I click on it and see that it still says the old password. I know this because the old password was 10 characters and the new one is only 8. I update the password and then it connects.
    The 10 digits is just a default. It doesn't mean your shorter password is not saved. For example, I just opened my messages app and saw one of my accounts was not updating. Clicked on it in Messages, it opened the Accounts setting window (you can also access it under the tool, and saw it had the 10 * symbols as my password. Mine actually has only seven digits. But I just pressed Save, it updated and all went well.

I have no idea why it seemed to drop the account in the first place. It doesn't usually. Just one of the glitches I've come to associate with the PB.
    Willard814 likes this.
    03-20-12 12:11 PM
    There are so many factors that can play into a troublesome wifi connection. it could be the walls in your home/apt. cheap or crapy modem/router and most importantly how the router/ modem is configured. Why not just call tech support and have them help you out? I have never gone wrong by calling tech support. I would start with RIM tech support and then I would call the router/modem tech support. It's all too easy to blame the PB, but there are at least 100 other variables that effect your connection.
    03-20-12 12:11 PM
146 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD