View Poll Results: Did you know about this already?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes -- this is old news and I dont care about it

13 11.61%
  • Yes -- this is old news and I'm loving it

85 75.89%
  • No - simply amazing!

14 12.50%
  • No - don't really care

0 0%
    First, ensure wifi sharing is enabled on your playbook under settings->storage&sharing.

Find the IP of the playbook under settings->about->network

On a MacBook, in finder: Go->Conenct To Server. (or command-K).
    Then enter "smb://the.ip.of.your.playbook".
    Default username should be Playbook. No password (unless you changed it).

Also, in Storage&Sharing on the playbook, you can change the Network Identification so that your device is on the same workgroup as your MacBook.. then you should be able to just browse for it using Go->Network in the Finder. (to find your mac's workgroup, it's in system preferences under network->advanced->WINS).
    - WiFi sharing and file sharing is enabled on the playbook. Password protect is off.
    - I found the IP of the Playbook under settings >> about >> network
    - On my Macbook Pro I go to finder >> Go>> Connect to server then I enter smb://ip.adress

Then it says "connecting to........." but not able to get connected.
    04-25-11 12:02 PM
    that's weird. can you ping the device? applications->utilities->terminal.
    at the command prompt, type:

ping -c5 1.2.3.4 (the ip address of your playbook)

you should see:
    PING 1.2.3.4 (1.2.3.4): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 1.2.3.4: icmp_seq=0 ttl=254 time=742.502 ms
    64 bytes from 1.2.3.4: icmp_seq=1 ttl=254 time=96.586 ms
    04-25-11 12:08 PM
    No I can not ping. It says host is down
    04-25-11 12:22 PM
    I'm guessing you have a routing problem on your network, or something is firewalled. The playbook can access the internet okay though?

On the mac, can you try:
    ping -c5 "www.google.com"

On the playbook, in settings->wi-fi, click the ? icon in the bottom left to bring up the diagnostics screen. Select "ping" from the drop-down menu and enter "www.google.com" in the "Ping To" field, then click "send".
    Last edited by JustAnotherBeerbot; 04-25-11 at 12:38 PM. Reason: reverted auto-url.
    04-25-11 12:37 PM
    Another Mac question. How do you connect when password protection for wifi sharing is enabled on the Playbook? I can get it to work without password protection, but when I enable the password protection, I don't know what username to use along with the password set on the Playbook. I have tried Playbook as my username and the password I set on the Playbook without success.

Figured it out. Went under storage and sharing in the Playbook and then Network Identification Properties. There was a Username field there and the username by default was wplaybook, not playbook. I assume the w was to distinguish it as a wifi login.

Robert
    Last edited by robsteve; 04-28-11 at 08:34 AM.
    04-28-11 07:25 AM
    I set this up with password protection and everything, like OP said...but i don't get prompted to enter password on my PC. Is this normal?

I can still transfer files over wifi...but shouldn't i have to enter the password.
    04-29-11 06:47 AM
    on playbook, go to settings (gears). check the IP address under about/Network.
    now bring up storage & sharing screen in settings -- enable wi-fi sharing. default username is Playbook, password is blank.
    On your PC, go to start->run, enter \\1.2.3.4\media (replace 1.2.3.4 with the IP of your playbook). Login with username/password indicated above.
    OK, I feel like I am missing something obvious. I did the steps outlined above, dumped a word file into my documents folder on my computer, opened it on my playbook, yay, success! The file was there, I could edit, etc.

But when I close all the windows on my computer, then open up my computer, or network, I can't see my playbook anywhere. Do I have to type in my IP addrees everytime I want to share files over Wifi?
    04-29-11 08:56 AM
    Finally I am able to connect my Macbook Pro to my Playbook via wifi. There was a setting which was disabled in my modem. I enabled it and connected.
    04-29-11 10:12 AM
    OK, I feel like I am missing something obvious. I did the steps outlined above, dumped a word file into my documents folder on my computer, opened it on my playbook, yay, success! The file was there, I could edit, etc.

But when I close all the windows on my computer, then open up my computer, or network, I can't see my playbook anywhere. Do I have to type in my IP addrees everytime I want to share files over Wifi?

unless you map it as a network drive, then yes, after closing down all windows, I think you will have to re-open it like that.
    I believe (going on memory here), depending on your version of windows, if you right-click on "my computer", there should be a "map network drive" option in there where you can enter the login details and map it permanently (there's a checkbox for that). So long as your playbook's IP isn't changing, this should work. Google for "map network drive in windows" if you're having trouble.

If your playbook's IP changes regularly (ie. at work, etc.), you should look into getting it's network identification set up right. In fact, this is the recommended way of accessing it anyways....
    In settings->storage&sharing, there is a network identification section. In there, you can pick a name for your device (like: jimsplaybook). You can then connect to it by name in windows using start->run "\\jimsplaybook", and it should also be showing up in the network neighbourhood. The only catch is that you have to make sure it's in the same Workgroup as your PC (I suggest you google for "windows workgroup name" to figure this out, as I haven't had to do this in some years). You can also map a network drive by name rather than IP.

Hope this helps.
    04-29-11 05:21 PM
    I set this up with password protection and everything, like OP said...but i don't get prompted to enter password on my PC. Is this normal?

I can still transfer files over wifi...but shouldn't i have to enter the password.
    Windows is probably just remembering the password for you. Change it on the PB and it should fail to connect next time and will prompt for password. Make sure there's no "remember my password" checkbox checked.

Also, unless you explicitly disconnected the share or rebooted, it's probably still using the previous authentication session.
    04-29-11 05:24 PM
    Okay, I've seen the thread and knew about the wif-sharing but didn't do it. This time I I read the thread and was intrigued.

Thanks - wirelessly transferring 1.8 gigs of photos - not necessarily the fastest - it says about 1.23mb/sec and will take, still, another 22 minutes.

But still don't have to detach/reattach usb cables over and over for various devices.
    04-29-11 07:02 PM
    Windows is probably just remembering the password for you. Change it on the PB and it should fail to connect next time and will prompt for password. Make sure there's no "remember my password" checkbox checked.

Also, unless you explicitly disconnected the share or rebooted, it's probably still using the previous authentication session.
    By default, Windows tries your account's name and password and if both matches what you have set on your Playbook, then it won't prompt you for one. That's how I've set mine, plus I checked 'Reconnect at logon'. My Playbook is now my (32GB) USB key that I share between home and the office. Whenever my Playbook is near one of these two computers, a drive is automatically mapped to it and I can use any file stored on it.
    04-29-11 10:07 PM
    can somebody help me out with the wifi sharing setup. I followed the above steps but still cannot find it under network. I have windows 7 64 bit.
    05-05-11 02:27 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD