See?? I'm willing to give all this crap up because I have a $200, 7" tablet Bridged to my phone, multitasks well, full HD support to TV, that HAS FLASH!! (if I could make this blink in bright colorful letters I would)
    Why is Flash so critical if you don't mind me asking? Is it for Facebook games?
    12-27-11 04:21 PM
    All this back and forth over who has the biggest schlong in the tablet world reminds of the formats war in the late 70's and early 80's between Beta and VHS videotape. VHS, of course, won out because of skilled marketing to the great unwashed, whereas the Beta format was adopted by the broadcast industry and is still in use today. The reason? Higher write speed = greater quality.

The average click and drool consumer could care less about anything except to be astounded by "the next great thing". Apple is simply fulfilling those needs. I bought my Playbook for a reason. Quality. And that's all.

I did a search today on Google (another great program for the french-fry makers) and every article I came to about Playbook was concerning "Angry Birds" finally becoming available.

See?
    swiftex likes this.
    12-27-11 04:24 PM
    my baby can get on Starfall.com. THAT actually won me over.

Not to mention my growing frustration over the past year, when out and about and I whip out my iPad and get content blocked left and right, only to conclude that I will need to be at my computer to finish doing what I was trying to do. I could never leave home without my laptop.

For the past 3 weeks I have been without my laptop with my PB in hand
    12-27-11 04:26 PM
    my baby can get on Starfall.com. THAT actually won me over.

Not to mention my growing frustration over the past year, when out and about and I whip out my iPad and get content blocked left and right, only to conclude that I will need to be at my computer to finish doing what I was trying to do. I could never leave home without my laptop.

For the past 3 weeks I have been without my laptop with my PB in hand
    Did you notice that Starfall.com has iOS and Android apps?
    12-27-11 04:39 PM
    yep

don't forget about my "growing frustrations" though

And the fact that 7" is more portable
    12-27-11 04:41 PM
    Sure, I wish I could play Words with Friends on my PlayBook with my iPad friends, but hey, it is probably just a matter of time.
    You can do it right now. Another beautiful feature of the PlayBook browser. You should also check out the Lexulous app. Another nice version of the game that is connected to Facebook (I think) so you can play people there. I like it because you can't just keep trying letter combinations and see if it accepts the word. The other player can challenge. Keepin' it real...

All this back and forth over who has the biggest schlong in the tablet world reminds of the formats war in the late 70's and early 80's between Beta and VHS videotape.
    It's always reminds me of the Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge arguments. Each has pros and cons, all basically do the same thing, but for some reason, people pick their favorite and fight to defend it. We've just replaced v8s and 4-barrel carbs with quad-core processors and 4G. The real question is: Does your phone have a Hemi?

I wouldn't be surprised if we were able to look back farther and see some cowboys arguing about Colt vs Smith & Wesson...
    12-27-11 04:43 PM
    But the iPad browser can't handle Starfall.com? That doesn't bother you at all?

You can honestly say that you prefer the iPad to NOT be able to access the site? You prefer going to a site, seeing that it is incompatible with your iPad, then going to the AppStore, search for a possible app, download it and install it and then launch it to see what you want? You wouldn't prefer the iOS browser to be able to present the site to you, but that the site could be enhanced with an app?
    gritzo and kbz1960 like this.
    12-27-11 04:52 PM
    One app at a time.. home -> camera home -> videos...
    that was the point i was trying to make ...i guess some people just dont get it..
    12-27-11 05:01 PM
    Have you tried this? I was very excited about this but it still comes down to codec support. PB doesn't support all codecs out there, and many of my MKVs, AVIs I tried won't play unfortunately. Not to mention there's no support for subtitles.

Gone back looking for FFmpeg based solution like AirVideo. Still looking...
    MovieSRTPlayer can do subtitles. It will overlay movie.srt subtitle files over a movie format that plays on the pb. (I will leave it for others to sort out what formats play or don't play on a pb).
    12-27-11 05:05 PM

You can honestly say that you prefer the iPad to NOT be able to access the site? You prefer going to a site, seeing that it is incompatible with your iPad, then going to the AppStore, search for a possible app, download it and install it and then launch it to see what you want? You wouldn't prefer the iOS browser to be able to present the site to you, but that the site could be enhanced with an app?
    Way too much common-sense in that post.
    12-27-11 05:09 PM
    You do realize that an iPad can do all of this, plus read email, Netflix, Airplay, and much more right.
    stop getting defensive...you know that the playbook is the better product..lol
    barskin likes this.
    12-27-11 05:11 PM

The app is better all round, it is optimized for the device screen size and most good apps, like the TBS app for example, leverage the hooks and native features of the device, such as Airplay, so I can start to watch an episode on an iPad, then send it to my TV if I am so inclined, just hit the Airplay button. Most of the flash content on the web is advertisements and I would rather not waste my time with it, plus Flash is insecure, and buggy.
    12-27-11 05:13 PM
    I got Me a new 64GB Playbook so wife and kids can have their own 32GB Playbook. THey were floored. I usually put some family videos and pictures together from each year and show them on an external screen. This was done on my laptop, but not any more. Playbook worked great and no dead laptop in four hours. Played Other videos for Kids while we all played Bingo and it all worked out great. didn't need to worry about kids erasing my PIM data!lol
    12-27-11 05:15 PM
    The app is better all round, it is optimized for the device screen size and most good apps, like the TBS app for example, leverage the hooks and native features of the device, such as Airplay, so I can start to watch an episode on an iPad, then send it to my TV if I am so inclined, just hit the Airplay button. Most of the flash content on the web is advertisements and I would rather not waste my time with it, plus Flash is insecure, and buggy.
    Airplay IS pretty cool. You can also listen to your iTunes music catalog thru you flat screen as well. But I think Air Print is the most useful of it's capabilities.

I don't see why Flash is such a big deal as ADOBE has said it will be abandoning it. HTML5 is what everyone is what web developers are going to be using going forward.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 12-27-11 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Omitted comment.
    12-27-11 05:23 PM
    Bashing the iPad isn't going to make the Playbook any better. I'm not an Apple fan, but have to admit the iPad is a very well designed device for its purpose. With its good balance of hardware and its formidable ecosystem, it is a very attractive package, as witnessed by its tens of millions of owners. It's also a bit of an "apple" to the Playbook's "orange," given the huge difference in form factors. You want a more direct comparison, wait until Apple brings out the rumored 8" version...

What will Apple do, copy the pb swiping OS That's the only way they'll match the pb when the 8" rumour comes-out, and OS2 will already be on everyone's pb.

The iPad was envisioned to be the 'portable computing future' that Jobs envisioned - not quite, it's too big
    12-27-11 05:51 PM
    The only thing iPad had going for it right now is a greater number of apps - some good, some not. As far as OS, hardware quality, ease of use, UI, browser, screen, audio, etc., PlayBook has it beat. But lets not forget about the slew of great apps that have come to the PlayBook in recent time. OS 2 is coming soon and it's only a matter of time before BlackBerry 10 smartphones are out in the wild which will most definitely bring even more developers onboard.
    It is ALL about apps. hardware, however good it is, is nothing without software. that is why microsoft failed with tablets and apple succeeded

The PlayBook now has a good selection of great apps to go along with the other features that I think make it the best consumer tablet available. I use the Flash browser to replace a lot of apps, and as a light gamer I can not appreciate the thousands of "fart" type apps on the Apples, but I do feel like there are some real games available on the PB now and that's all I need in the app department. Happy to see the OP prefer quality over commercials.
    i would not call it good selection but neither wasteland as some claim. nonetheless pb needs much more.

Apple have gotten two fundamental things right.

The marketing. Lets face it. They have the best brand in the world at present and that is attractive as in a brand concious world.

The strategy. When you put together the app ecosystem, the tie in with Itunes, the new integration with their cloud, and the general lockin, the revenue per user is incredible from the time they buy the Ipad. There must be a figure out there, but each Ipad and Iphone user is like a walking cash register for Apple. And whats also obvious is that once you are in, you generally stay in.

RIM have the framework but have not had the vision as yet. But make no bones about it, the Playbook is a great product which CAN die if both the company and the users dont fight to make it so.
    true,true and true again

You realize that the iPhone 4S was the fastest selling gadget ever right LOL

Apple's iPhone 4S sales heading for new gadget world record | Technology | The Guardian
    many must feel ripped off with "revolutionary" voice technology which is essentially work in progress. apple success is solely due to Steve Job brilliance. We are yet to see if new CEO is half as good as Steve was.
    12-27-11 05:55 PM
    Airplay IS pretty cool. You can also listen to your iTunes music catalog thru you flat screen as well. But I think Air Print is the most useful of it's capabilities.

I don't see why Flash is such a big deal as ADOBE has said it will be abandoning it. HTML5 is what everyone is what web developers are going to be using going forward.
    Because it isn't going to be that way for awhile yet. That is why. It is not like flash all of a sudden will quit working. Isn't flash on mac's? I don't know don't have one. Has a mac ever got a virus from flash?
    12-27-11 05:56 PM
    Because it isn't going to be that way for awhile yet. That is why. It is not like flash all of a sudden will quit working. Isn't flash on mac's? I don't know don't have one. Has a mac ever got a virus from flash?
    That's a good question. Most of my buds are Macs. I'm a PC. They all SWEAR they have never heard of a reported case of a Mac catching a cold. According to some Mac forums there are no known viruses that effect Mac directly. You'd have to download some type of pirated software to pick-up one.
    12-27-11 06:28 PM
    TVs have Airplay now??
    Don't you need an AppleTV or something? Don't you have to pay for it too?

I have two of em by the way, and they're buggy too. I use em for Netflix mainly. Standalone. No need for "clumsy" 10" iPad to browse content and use as remote either. Netflix + WHS iTunes server = all the movie content my family needs. The iPad is still sitting in my drawer. IJS
    12-27-11 07:40 PM
    That's a good question. Most of my buds are Macs. I'm a PC. They all SWEAR they have never heard of a reported case of a Mac catching a cold. According to some Mac forums there are no known viruses that effect Mac directly. You'd have to download some type of pirated software to pick-up one.
    Never got one on my Macbook Pro, nor have I ever got one on my bootcamp Win7, directly or even thru vmware fusion. I know what NOT to click on.

And all of my Mac friends STILL call me for tech support
    12-27-11 07:57 PM
    But what about the sites that don't have apps?
    Besides Flash's alleged insecurities are a moot point, because your alternative is iOS...
    12-27-11 08:16 PM
    I bought my PB a week after it hit the market. I'm as thrilled with it today as I was when I got it. I always get a chuckle out of people who criticize RIM for "rushing it out with a half baked os." Is the ipad still using the same os as it did when it first came out? Of course not. But, you never heard anyone call it "half baked." Oh, that's right. Apple can do no wrong. Sorry, I forgot. I wonder how many of those critics were the same ones who, prior to the PBs release, were slamming RIM for not getting it on the market fast enough.

But hey, I get it. The PB doesn't have that app you really like. Really, I understand. I spent a couple of hours with my friend's ipad, but I just couldn't find the bridge app. I guess that's why my friend has to shell out cash every month for a separate data plan. Man, I sure do wish I could do that (please note the sarcasm). No thank you. I am plenty happy with my PB, and when os2 comes out, I will view it as sprinkles on what is already a well iced cake.
    Last edited by justincase1911; 12-27-11 at 09:57 PM.
    Nels likes this.
    12-27-11 09:54 PM
    I have both, and I used them equally. I do like the iPad at home because it gives me more screen real estate when I am just lounging on the couch. I do like the apps that are offered and wish that some would eventually get ported to the Playbook...(Skype Netflix and others) but I take the Playbook out of the house with me because it is easy to carry and even when I don"t have my 4G air card, I still have internet access thru my Phone. They coexist for me and each has its own little niche that fits well into my lifestyle.
    12-28-11 04:15 AM
    The question was since someone said you'll get a virus from flash and if macs use flash and no virus on them then that person statement is false.
    12-28-11 04:45 AM
    I prefer quality over quantity. In response to your question, I would say Apple has over 90% crap in their app store. Did you buy the $700 iPad and fill it to the rim with as many apps as possible? Most people I talk to use much less than 20 apps.
    I prefer quantity of quality apps. According to the number you plucked out of the air, the 10% of the apps in App Store (about 15000, based on 150000 iPad apps) would be quality ones. Guess how many the App World has??

That <20 apps thing is one of the worse red herrings I've seen thrown about here. Just because the average person uses less than <20 does not mean all the other apps on the App Store are crap. Also, you're forgetting that different people have different needs and uses. The 20 apps from one person's iPad are likely to be different from the 20 apps from another person's iPad, barring the most common ones like Facebook, Twitter and what not.

I won't buy them because of their slave labor manufacturing process and their strong-arm manipulation of suppliers requiring them to reveal their profit margin on component bids. There are more well-documented unsavory business practices by Apple. Kind of the Wal Mart of the tech world. Horrible.
    You need to stop buying products from these companies as well then:

Acer Inc. (Taiwan)
    Amazon.com (United States)
    In 2011, Amazon and Foxconn formed a joint-design manufacturing company. The move was meant to produce an Amazon branded smartphone sometime in 2012.
    Apple Inc. (United States)
    ASRock (Taiwan)
    Asus (Taiwan)
    Barnes & Noble (United States)
    Cisco (United States)
    Dell (United States)
    EVGA Corporation (United States)
    Hewlett-Packard (United States)
    Intel (United States)
    IBM (United States)
    Lenovo (China)
    Microsoft (United States)
    MSI (Taiwan)
    Motorola (United States)
    Netgear (United States)
    Nintendo (Japan)
    Nokia (Finland)
    Panasonic (Japan)
    Philips (Netherlands)
    Samsung (South Korea)
    Sharp (Japan)
    Sony Ericsson (Japan/Sweden)
    Toshiba (Japan)
    Vizio (United States)

Wikipedia Source

Also, did Apple force anyone to do business with them at gunpoint?

The strategy. When you put together the app ecosystem, the tie in with Itunes, the new integration with their cloud, and the general lockin, the revenue per user is incredible from the time they buy the Ipad. There must be a figure out there, but each Ipad and Iphone user is like a walking cash register for Apple. And whats also obvious is that once you are in, you generally stay in.\
    Depends on what you mean by "walking cash register". If you're talking about revenue from app sales in the App Store, it's a big fat nope. However, it would be true if "locking in" means each Apple product bought leads to more Apple products being bought by the same person.

I don't usually take the time to multi-quote or respond point by point to a post, but when there's enough bullsh*t and half-truths flying around I just can't help it any longer.
    12-28-11 09:01 AM
101 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD