I like the PB so much more. I've already downloaded a boatload of apps that will keep me productive and having some fun.

Overall, I like the form factor, multi-tasking and general look/feel/navigation much more than the iPad.
    12-26-11 08:54 AM
    I like the PB so much more. I've already downloaded a boatload of apps that will keep me productive and having some fun.

Overall, I like the form factor, multi-tasking and general look/feel/navigation much more than the iPad.
    Well, I'm with you there, but to each his own. Some people want the larger size (too awkward for me), and I hear about apps constantly that I cannot get ("Get the 'Dexter' app and join the discussion next episode!"), because they are only availablefor the iPad.
    But, we enjoy our PBs with its flash supporting OS and its look/feel/navigation.
    12-26-11 09:05 AM
    The PlayBook now has a good selection of great apps to go along with the other features that I think make it the best consumer tablet available. I use the Flash browser to replace a lot of apps, and as a light gamer I can not appreciate the thousands of "fart" type apps on the Apples, but I do feel like there are some real games available on the PB now and that's all I need in the app department. Happy to see the OP prefer quality over commercials.
    12-26-11 09:29 AM
    The only thing iPad had going for it right now is a greater number of apps - some good, some not. As far as OS, hardware quality, ease of use, UI, browser, screen, audio, etc., PlayBook has it beat. But lets not forget about the slew of great apps that have come to the PlayBook in recent time. OS 2 is coming soon and it's only a matter of time before BlackBerry 10 smartphones are out in the wild which will most definitely bring even more developers onboard.
    12-26-11 11:15 AM
    As long as the person got what they wanted for Christmas is what really matters.....I love to get what I ask for . Some like berries some like apples
    Bob31464, dave1701, TgeekB and 3 others like this.
    12-26-11 11:24 AM
    with ipad i have to go into settings to do it (at least on a stock ipad).
    Swipe up on the screen with 4 fingers (or double tap home button) to bring up the multitasking menu, slide the menu to the right and there is a brightness slider right there.
    RCCollins likes this.
    12-26-11 12:32 PM
    The PlayBook now has a good selection of great apps to go along with the other features that I think make it the best consumer tablet available.

If the PLAYbook has a good selection of good apps, what do you call the iPads app selection? Relatively speaking the iPad is leaps and bounds better, and other features such as AirPlay the PLAYbook can not touch and never will, even basic features such as email and reading books on the PLAYbook leave much to be desired.
    12-26-11 12:42 PM
    Bashing the iPad isn't going to make the Playbook any better. I'm not an Apple fan, but have to admit the iPad is a very well designed device for its purpose. With its good balance of hardware and its formidable ecosystem, it is a very attractive package, as witnessed by its tens of millions of owners. It's also a bit of an "apple" to the Playbook's "orange," given the huge difference in form factors. You want a more direct comparison, wait until Apple brings out the rumored 8" version...
    12-26-11 12:48 PM
    Infererior on every level? Like the camera, screen resolution, mutlitasking capability or portability? like the post above, to each their own and every device has their strengths and weaknesses.. but to say its better in every regard is pure blindness.
    Last edited by spike12; 12-26-11 at 01:49 PM.
    12-26-11 12:59 PM
    Wow, looks, another combative thread. Original.

The four finger swipe cracks me up. Feels silly.

Same as OP here. My iPad 2 is on permanent loan to my wife and kids. The PB is mine.

There are only 2 apps on the iPad I wish PB had. DirecTV and Skype. It was nice using the iPad to Skype my out-of-town parents and let them watch my kids open their gifts. I certainly could have used my laptop, but a tablet is easier. When I travel, however, it's no big deal as I always have my laptop with me.
    12-26-11 01:18 PM
    Some are really kidding themselves here. The iPad, although a great device, lacks the specs of it's counterparts. It has a marvelous ecosystem and the name Apple attached to it but that is where it ends.

All these companies shoving tablets out of the door need to realise one thing and one thing only. The majority don't want tablets... They want iPads.

For what reason I do not know but it is the reality of the matter. Apple can manufacture a block of wood with the Apple logo on it and still out sell the PlayBook. Go figure!
    kps88, bigbmc26 and xiaohuaxing like this.
    12-26-11 01:48 PM
    Some are really kidding themselves here. The iPad, although a great device, lacks the specs of it's counterparts. It has a marvelous ecosystem and the name Apple attached to it but that is where it ends.

All these companies shoving tablets out of the door need to realise one thing and one thing only. The majority don't want tablets... They want iPads.

For what reason I do not know but it is the reality of the matter. Apple can manufacture a block of wood with the Apple logo on it and still out sell the PlayBook. Go figure!
    thats because the entire iOS eco system is miles ahead of anything on the playbook.

spec-wise, you don't want to get into that, especially when you're talking about 2 completely different OS's. this is why some top tier higher specced android phones perform horribly. without software optimization, hardware is useless. the playbook UI is *generally* fine but also suffers from minor stutter/lag which is very apparent when scrolling up and down in the app world. you don't see this on the ipad at all.

camera? sure the ipad 2 one definitely sucks. i will give you that. but really, the playbook camera is not that much better. its horrible indoors and is only fixed focused. besides, when it comes down to skype video chat support which is arguably one of the main uses of a tablet camera, you can only do that on the ipad.
    kps88 likes this.
    12-26-11 01:53 PM
    i wish i could like the playbook. its a huge struggle just to get by on it.
    ipad = way better in every single way. the only thing playbook does better is i can change the screen brightness right from the top. with ipad i have to go into settings to do it (at least on a stock ipad). other than that...the playbook is completely inferior on every level.
    And here you are. On a Playbook forum. Talking about the Playbook. I'd say the Playbook has its hooks in you pretty good. You dont like anything about the Playbook, but it keeps bringing you back here, reeling you in, letting out, then reeling you in. Hahaha! Thats called trolling!
    12-26-11 02:01 PM

its sad but true.
    but now that the pb has angry birds it has every thing. not onlydo we have that but we have ninja dog. pb +1

seriously who cares i love the playbook,and if the beta for os2 is forshadowing 75% or more of the markeg will run android apps. the ipad is a fad like the pet rock peole will eventualy discard them for something not so clunky. pb is thebest tablet on in the market people just dont realize ig yet

please forgive drunktype. but it doesnt change the facts. remember when m$ was king. the tides come in and go out
    Last edited by bbaleno; 12-26-11 at 02:10 PM.
    12-26-11 02:07 PM
    Apple have gotten two fundamental things right.

The marketing. Lets face it. They have the best brand in the world at present and that is attractive as in a brand concious world.

The strategy. When you put together the app ecosystem, the tie in with Itunes, the new integration with their cloud, and the general lockin, the revenue per user is incredible from the time they buy the Ipad. There must be a figure out there, but each Ipad and Iphone user is like a walking cash register for Apple. And whats also obvious is that once you are in, you generally stay in.

RIM have the framework but have not had the vision as yet. But make no bones about it, the Playbook is a great product which CAN die if both the company and the users dont fight to make it so.
    12-26-11 02:38 PM
    I can't remember how many demerit points I'm supposed to get for jumping into a thread like this? Anyone know?
    JBenn911 likes this.
    12-26-11 02:44 PM
    thats because the entire iOS eco system is miles ahead of anything on the playbook.

spec-wise, you don't want to get into that, especially when you're talking about 2 completely different OS's. this is why some top tier higher specced android phones perform horribly. without software optimization, hardware is useless. the playbook UI is *generally* fine but also suffers from minor stutter/lag which is very apparent when scrolling up and down in the app world. you don't see this on the ipad at all.

camera? sure the ipad 2 one definitely sucks. i will give you that. but really, the playbook camera is not that much better. its horrible indoors and is only fixed focused. besides, when it comes down to skype video chat support which is arguably one of the main uses of a tablet camera, you can only do that on the ipad.
    On the iPad2 you mean, but I get your drift.
    12-26-11 02:46 PM
    Wow, just let it go already. Those here on CrackBerry are here for a reason. We like the Playbook. There is nothing wrong with the iPad to those that like it. It delivers what Apple consumers want from their tablets.
    Since the first iPhone was sold, I found it a nicely designed and fun phone, but personally, I don't like Apple products. I have tried them out but will never purchase one unless BlackBerry tanks (which I don't expect them to do) and I can't find a decent Android phone.
    But, during all this time, I have never once gone on an Apple Fan site or an Android site (which I happen to be a member of to keep an open mind to other devices) and bashed the devices of those threads. There is a level of maturity you need to have to understand everyone isn't going to agree with your views and like the same device you like. You're wasting energy arguing and getting high blood pressure for nothing. It different to come to this website and ask serious questions from knowledgeable people here about the differences between the devices. People here are willing to help and give advice, but it will still always come down to what device will make you happy. Heck, there is even a section on CrackBerry for those that enjoy Apple products as well as BlackBerry. We CAN co-exist. Count to ten and take a deep breath.
    spike12, ralfyguy and Branta like this.
    12-26-11 02:56 PM
    My wife has had an ipad for a year now and today i just bought a Playbook. Why ? It was only $200. I love it. Maybe it's just me but Apple products make me feel stupid. I grew up in the 80's and we had nothing but Macs in the schools. They pissed me off then and they me off now.
    ralfyguy, CDM76, MXBerry and 1 others like this.
    12-26-11 03:04 PM
    One reason I like playbook over iPad it's because it doesn't sound like a tampon, and it's not an iDiotic device. Apple sure love driving everyone crazy with their overpriced products just cuz they are made by apple. I'm gonna be honest and say that I hate apple. This all thread however is going to turn into an iPad vs PB debate .
    Well then, it's good you decided to be honest, because otherwise we would not have known.
    Last edited by Economist101; 12-26-11 at 03:09 PM.
    BlackStormRising likes this.
    12-26-11 03:07 PM

You have just repeated what I've said. iOS just has the ecosystem and I will grant you that the software and the hardware integration is very optimised but we are looking at a OS that is in its 5th iteration as opposed to an OS that is barely a year old... Anyway, my PlayBook runs smooth as silk and for the most part the only time I have lag is when using the Bridge apps.

The PlayBook OS has made steady progress with regard to under-the-hood optimisations and hopefully RIM can give the people what they want with regard to email and pim in upcoming OS 2.

How soon people forget that it wasn't all sunshine and roses for iOS in the beginning. They didn't have mms, you couldn't forward a received sms and even now you cannot attach a file while replying to a mail.
    bigbmc26, rotorwrench and JBenn911 like this.
    12-26-11 03:11 PM
    PBs multitasking UI is the best in the market... Thats it.
    MXBerry likes this.
    12-26-11 03:15 PM
    The PlayBook has a lot of merits but plenty shortcomings as well. The lack of some basic features really sticks out here but having said that, the OS shows promise.

I have said it before and I will say it again. If RIM keeps their word and remain commited to the tablet space they will do well to dump the PlayBook name and release some a new version of the tablet under a different name. This device has gotten so much bad publicity to last a life time.
    12-26-11 03:26 PM
    apple users now realized what apple was with the iPhone 4S release, everryone knows this, apple is getting very boring, thats why the 4S didnt have much succes like other products, i dont really see a difference between ipod touch 4G and the ipad 2 except the size, its time for apple to think out of the box or else it will start to lose ppl, now between a comparison btween ipad and pb, i choose pb, ofc it depends on the person, but in my opinion, the playbook is way better, the ipad is way too big, i used one for work but i didnt liked it, the playbook has some great quality apps, and more are coming on its way, ans besides, just 1 more month till new OS on playbook with the android app player and many other great things
    MXBerry and fbloise like this.
    12-26-11 03:38 PM
    Now, I know you just meant that in fun, but let's not go insulting fellow poster's spouses just because they got an iPad
    I think they were just making an max-iPad joke, not trying to insult. At least that's how I took it.

Wow, looks, another combative thread. Original.

The four finger swipe cracks me up. Feels silly.

Same as OP here. My iPad 2 is on permanent loan to my wife and kids. The PB is mine.

There are only 2 apps on the iPad I wish PB had. DirecTV and Skype. It was nice using the iPad to Skype my out-of-town parents and let them watch my kids open their gifts. I certainly could have used my laptop, but a tablet is easier. When I travel, however, it's no big deal as I always have my laptop with me.
    You should check out the reelportal app. It works quite well for vid-conferencing and requires no sign-up or install from a PC. You can just give your room a name, give that name to the people you want to conf with and they enter the same room name. We had 2 PlayBooks, a PC and an iPod Touch in a conf yesterday...
    12-26-11 04:11 PM
101 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD