Every time I go to the browser or anything that needs wi-fi it says"Error: Couldn't resolve the host name." or the wi-fi keep going in and out.What should I do to keep the internet working on the playbook?
    05-23-12 12:37 AM
    You're connected to your home's wifi or is it a public wifi?
    05-23-12 01:28 AM
    I'm using home wi-fi.
    05-23-12 06:29 AM
    I'm having the same problem while connected to my home wifi. It keeps going off and on. Even when I reboot, still does not come back sometimes. Does anyone know if there is a glitch with the OS?
    05-23-12 06:33 AM
    Have you deleted the profile? A reset with the power button + and - buttons all held at the same time until it restarts and then try connecting new again?
    05-23-12 07:59 AM
    Interference with cordless phone using the same channels or radio frequency as router? Neighbors' using the same channel?
    05-23-12 09:00 AM
    I have been having this problem too. I did a factory reset on my router which helped cut down on the disconnects but the problem still exists. I thought maybe it was bluetooth interference but disabling BT did not make the issue go away. I also did a hard reboot on the PB and tried deleting and recreating the wifi profiles.

Right now, I am testing something new. For my wifi profile, I have selected 2.4 GHz instead of dual band. So far my connection seems stable and quicker but its too early to say yet. Try it and let me know if it works for you (note, there is a 5 GHz option if your router is using that band... Make sure to choose the right one).
    05-23-12 09:07 AM
    Just had a disconnect. Both playbooks in my home are having trouble. There is some interference going on... Going to try changing channels and replacement of the router.
    05-23-12 09:24 AM
    Have you deleted the profile? A reset with the power button + and - buttons all held at the same time until it restarts and then try connecting new again?
    Anyway you'd explain the difference between "A reset with the power button + and - buttons all held at the same time" and a restart please.
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    05-23-12 09:42 AM
    Holding the power button with the + and - volume keys will do a hard reboot. You need to hold down all three until about 10 seconds or so.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Mr_Bunny likes this.
    05-23-12 09:58 AM
    I'm having the exact same issues at work. In my home network everything is perfect, my playbook connects to my wifi hotspot on iPhone with no issues either. I believe I have tried everything. There must be some fix.

My iPhone connects, my laptop connects, and everyone with an iPad is laughing at me.

Someone help me please.

Tried setting the network manually, checking and unchecking every option. I'm in the process of re-installing the OS.
    05-23-12 10:43 AM
    I had the same problem for a few days. I hit the reset button on my router, erased my saved profile on my PB then saved it again on my PB. It not only fixed the problem but my signal is even stronger than before it dropped signal days ago.
    05-23-12 11:26 AM
    I tried holding all three buttons but it didn't work, @walking_irony it gotten kinda better but still goes out every time I view a video on youtube or when I try to download something in the app world.
    05-23-12 06:12 PM
    @king_benny I tried it and it still resulted to the same result. Are you sure those are the buttons to hard reboot?
    05-23-12 11:30 PM
    Would like to say I have the same problem, all my other devices connect to my home wifi but my playbook will not let me connect...it has my home network available to chose but when I connect it says "connection attempt timed out"....any advice guys?
    05-24-12 01:24 AM
    What router do you all have? How many devices connecting to it?

@wavin, yes all 3 buttons held at the same time does a hard reboot if done right.
    05-24-12 05:24 AM
    Me...bt home hub plus infinity router.

It was working fine up until yesterday.
    05-24-12 09:15 AM
    Regarding the "3-button" reset, my experience has been that this causes the PB to totally shut down... but doesn't trigger a restart. The few times I've used the 3-button reset, I've had to restart the PB by pressing the power button once.

Regarding the wifi issues, for home wifi, usually deleting the saved profile for your home router and reconnecting to it after a restart (restart both the router and the PB) will do the trick in my experience. I like to use the "WPS" method as it seems to be i*diot-proof to me.

Regarding wifi issues at work, I can't offer any suggestions. If it doesn't connect using the usual methods, I would ask one of your IT guys. But they'll probably avoid your question by saying we don't support that device. Try calling for the RIM 1-800 # but if you're outside the free 90 day coverage, they'll (stupidly) ask you to pay for a support package.
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 05-24-12 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Fix typo and avoid using "I-diot"
    05-24-12 11:36 AM
    Mine almost always restarts on the 3 button. Must be a timing thing getting them pressed all at the same time.
    05-24-12 11:38 AM
    Mine almost always restarts on the 3 button. Must be a timing thing getting them pressed all at the same time.
    Yeah, I think Rim tested this with a licensed Contortionist!

I was thinking about his earlier in another "reboot" related thread. They should just have provided a real reset button in a small hole that needed a toothpick or unbent paper clip but then folks would have shoved those items into the microphone port or headphone jack!!!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-24-12 12:10 PM
    Me...bt home hub plus infinity router.

It was working fine up until yesterday.
    Never heard of it. Have you rebooted the router?
    05-24-12 12:51 PM
    ...ahhh ok...Yes done a full reset......
    05-24-12 03:35 PM
    Odd that it worked and now all of a sudden doesn't. You have deleted the wifi profile on the pb, rebooted and tried readding again?
    05-24-12 03:54 PM
    Yeah...went to a local phone shop and it worked on there wi-fi....yet will not allow me to log onto my own home wi-fi network?
    05-24-12 03:58 PM
    Hmmm, probably something to do with your home wi-fi setup. Have you tried resetting it to factory settings? Could there me a limit on the number of devices that can be connected at any one time?

Personally I have only had wifi issues on my bus to/from work, but I get them with my phone too...
    05-24-12 04:01 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD