I have NOT been able to have a Wi-Fi connection between my BB PB and my desktop PC running Windows XP for the purpose of transferring documents from the PC to the PB. I have an internet connection on the PB, which tells me that I have a good Wi-Fi Signal. The network on the PC "sees" the PB, but it will NOT connect. I have gone through the video on unlockr.com without success.

My IT guy did a work-around to establish the connection, but he told me there is a conflict between the PC's and the BB's operating systems blocking the direct Wi-Fi connection.

Any thoughts?
    02-10-12 06:47 AM
    I just tried connecting my Microsoft Windows XP (Home Edition) SP3 running in as a VirtualBox instance to my BlackBerry PlayBook and is connected immediately.

1. On the BlackBerry PlayBook enable WiFi network connectivity and verify the assigned IP address.
    2. On the BlackBerry PlayBook enable WiFi file sharing and for this demonstration do not assign a password.
    3. On Microsoft Windows XP click Start, then click Run..., and type \\ip_address_of_tablet and press ENTER or click OK.
    4. Microsoft Windows Explorer should automatically launch and display the certs and media subdirectories.

By the way, my cat has verified this procedure and has given it her "paw of approval."
    grnnreg likes this.
    02-10-12 07:05 AM
    Thanks for your suggestion. In fact, this is what I did. However, would you try going to the screen that shows your network to see if when you click on the icon for your Playbook if the connection will connect. Mine will not, but what I call the work around and you described does give me access. Shouldn't I be able to have access by clicking on the icon?
    02-10-12 07:20 AM
    This functionality was broken several updates ago. It is not just XP that has this issue.
    Currently the only way to connect via WiFi is via the IP address.

You could have the wireless router assign a fixed IP address to the PB so that you could map a drive to it from the pc.
    grnnreg likes this.
    02-10-12 07:50 AM
    Thanks for your suggestion. In fact, this is what I did. However, would you try going to the screen that shows your network to see if when you click on the icon for your Playbook if the connection will connect. Mine will not, but what I call the work around and you described does give me access. Shouldn't I be able to have access by clicking on the icon?
    As farside said, it does not work anymore that way. You NEED to use the IP address method. And you may need to add the 'media' at the end like this:

\\192.168.1.132\media

Your ip address will be different.
    02-10-12 09:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD