The Windows tablets of old were horrible! If anything Apple and ARM forced Intel to innovate rather than coasting making boat loads of cash sitting on top of chip mountain. Surface will be interesting to say the least. (with a great name!) It will either be too little too late and iPad will be declared the winner, or it will become king unseating the iPad for good. Can't wait to watch the battle in 2013/14. *grabs popcorn

Love my Playbook, it seems to have almost all the apps I need, most importantly a real browser and Flash. Still irks me almost daily that my daughter has Netflix on a 3 inch 3DS screen yet my 7 inch tab to this day is still denied.
    08-29-12 09:33 AM
    I recently upgraded to the latest operating system update and notice shortly after that, that my camera was not working. It shows vertical bars in shades of grey. So I figured it was some app or something causing it to mess up. After searching the net over and over and even blackberry and here, I came up with no solution fast. And it seems like RIM is not saying much about it either so one way or anoter, im gonna have me a tablet that works.
    08-29-12 02:37 PM
    iPad is what I use when i use my tablet. I liked the OS style and multitasking was a good idea but the lack of apps and infrastructure really turned it into a paperweight. Luckily, I was able to see it before the prices really tanked.
    08-29-12 03:37 PM
    iPad is what I use when i use my tablet. I liked the OS style and multitasking was a good idea but the lack of apps and infrastructure really turned it into a paperweight. Luckily, I was able to see it before the prices really tanked.
    Yep, that Apple autocorrect makes it all worth it... Lol
    08-29-12 03:44 PM
    Thanks for posting everyone.. Do you guys think that the new lineup of devices being launched recently will motivate you to switch?

Do you consider the price before switching or meeting your needs is more important when selecting a device?
    08-29-12 11:31 PM
    People buy more on wants than needs. That's what Apple sells- satisfaction because of attractive form and non-frustrating use.For that they pay the price and most willingly become slaves in the garden.
    08-29-12 11:40 PM
    @jpash549bb you might be right in a way but if you go through the thread you will notice that many buyers are inclined towards the offerings of Android and Samsung and such devices which do infact provide a better user experience and lots of added fun.

So you might want to reconsider your statement.. This is enthusiasts forum and the rules of your average buyers are not priority here..

Ps. no one will invest in something that will leave them unsatisfied..
    08-30-12 01:07 AM
    Dont think I need to modify my observation. Didn't say that all people bought Apple's shtick but sales say a large proportion do. Some may even be enthusiasts. In the big trial emails tell us that Samsungs chairman recognized the essence of Apples approach and changed the Samsung approach perhaps in too close imitation. Personally I think my BBPB is nicer and easier to use than the Nexus7 I have had for about a month. I am also enthusiastic about the potential of webOS on my HP Touchpad but the stock OS needs upgrading. Never have owned an Apple product and don't plan to change that but sure wish I owned some of the stock.
    08-30-12 11:48 AM
    Well as of last friday, you'll stop seeing Samsung tablets and phones all over America, thanks to our friendly neighborhood Apple. One less tablet to worry about. In fact it has become really a pain to find a Galaxy Tab 2 in the market these days. I wonder why that is...
    08-30-12 12:43 PM
    Well as of last friday, you'll stop seeing Samsung tablets and phones all over America, thanks to our friendly neighborhood Apple. One less tablet to worry about. In fact it has become really a pain to find a Galaxy Tab 2 in the market these days. I wonder why that is...
    Really? What exactly did Apple do to stop you from seeing Samsung tablets and phones? Did Tim Cook gouge out your eyes?
    08-30-12 01:14 PM
    That's interesting to hear - so you mean your employer gave you a PlayBook for work purposes?
    A lot of the managers were given PlayBooks to compliment their BBs around when 2.0 finally shipped. They don't get a ton of use outside of BB Bridge, but as some of the executives are on the road constantly that's been a pretty great feature. As an IT Manager mine mostly just sits on my desk unused though, unless I need to test a specific use-case scenario for one of the road warriors. I'm not sure if it even has a charge right now.

One of the other execs bought herself a Nexus 7 recently because she needed Skype, I went with an iPad because if I'm just sitting around on the couch at home the form factor and size (and apps) make a big difference over the smaller PB screen.

Yep, that Apple autocorrect makes it all worth it... Lol
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with the post you quoted, it is grammatically correct. He saw that the lack of apps and infrastructure would hurt the PB and cause a price drop and was able to act before that happened. Keep raging against the machine though.
    08-30-12 01:32 PM
    Really? What exactly did Apple do to stop you from seeing Samsung tablets and phones? Did Tim Cook gouge out your eyes?
    LOL. It was a moving obituary though...
    08-30-12 01:44 PM
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with the post you quoted, it is grammatically correct. He saw that the lack of apps and infrastructure would hurt the PB and cause a price drop and was able to act before that happened. Keep raging against the machine though.
    He meant sell... chillax
    08-30-12 02:08 PM
    I love my Playbook, but I will get be getting a new tablet. The Playbook is a great size, built like a tank, and I like the OS. I have monitored the app situation for awhile though, and there is still a significant list of apps that I'd like to have for my daily use that i either can't get on Playbook, or find a good alternative for (and no, browser versions don't fill the void). Going to another platform from Playbook though, there are no apps on the Playbook I can't get or get a better alternative for. This is just my personal situation though. The apps that are important to me obviously won't be for another person. But as far as what I want to use a tablet for, I'd like to have those apps. Great hardware just does not overshadow that for me.
    08-30-12 03:02 PM
    Currently PB64 but it is really just used for playing movies on a plane. It could have been so much better but RIM have done themselves no favours. The OS takes forever to startup (forget leaving it on standby if you don't charge constantly), almost impossible to charge outside a dedicated PB charger, won't play AC3 sound, lacking some big name apps (can't we at least have Skype and Kindle ?).

Please fix these simple things with BB10 otherwise I have to move to android (or my staff will make me buy iOS !!).
    08-30-12 09:56 PM
    If you put Playbook on standby and in airplane mode, PB uses less than 10% of the battery in a day. You can then restart in a few seconds. A reboot on the PB does take an irritatingly long time and hopefully BB10 will cut this down. It may be annoying to carry your own charger but are you able to count on finding a charger any place you travel? Other threads have reported that some other chargers will work with BB Playbook. Skype is now owned by Microsoft so maybe there wont be any help there. But then Apple will soon come out with the Apple mini and your staff will get you one for Bosses day.
    08-30-12 11:20 PM
    Guys I would request everyone to keep the discussion limited to switching to other tablets..

This thread is mainly to highlight the reason of switching to other tablet so that a person interested in the PB can judge accordingly..

I guess I mentioned it clearly in the thread title that this ones only for 'PlayBook to other tabs'...
    08-31-12 12:09 AM
    Sorry if I strayed. My apologies. Since I don't plan to switch, even though I am sampling Android with a Nexus 7 and might even add an Apple mini to the collection, I will be a silent onlooker.
    08-31-12 12:17 AM
    I must admit that I am going the other direction. I have an original Samsung Galaxy tab 3 g model. I am so tired of Samsung not following up with upgrades, that I am VERY seriously looking to purchase a PB. As I have my 9810, I am fine with the WIFI only, and it will be faster than the SGT I already own. Bridge will keep me connected where there is no wifi) Not what you asked for, but my perspective.

John
    08-31-12 03:00 AM
    I must admit that I am going the other direction. I have an original Samsung Galaxy tab 3 g model. I am so tired of Samsung not following up with upgrades, that I am VERY seriously looking to purchase a PB. As I have my 9810, I am fine with the WIFI only, and it will be faster than the SGT I already own. Bridge will keep me connected where there is no wifi) Not what you asked for, but my perspective.

John
    Sorry, some android lack of knowledge here - but if you have e.g. a Samsung Galaxy Tab and a new android os comes out - can you not upgrade?
    08-31-12 06:30 AM
    Sorry, some android lack of knowledge here - but if you have e.g. a Samsung Galaxy Tab and a new android os comes out - can you not upgrade?
    If you really want to, you can. I won't discount the inferred problem with Android -- one is held hostage by carrier updates -- that affects average customers, but upgrades can be ethically had for those willing to get them.

They even got JB on the OG Droid, so sky's the limit.
    08-31-12 08:38 AM
    I changed from a playbook to an iPad and have to say best decision ever. I purchased the playbook as rim promised so much os2 and what a let down that was. Since getting the iPad I find I can use it exactly how I want and not make do with what rim let u have
    09-01-12 07:10 AM
    I am sticking with BB and the PB because this device is awesome as is and RIM promised updates. They have followed through on there promises, all of them. I never believe what some random poster on a forum says that they will be bringing when it comes to my money.
    09-01-12 07:22 AM
    I don't work for RIM or own stock and totally agree with you.
    I bought my PB on the promise of what it was going to be, what a fool i was, just pleased i didn't go for it when it first came out at full price.
    My next tablet will be an android one, but can't justify the purchase yet as my PB is only 7 months old.
    I was trying to use it as a business tool because it was advertised as a professional grade tablet but gave up when i couldn't even access office web apps or google docs, so now it is only used for email, surfing and playing media. I have gone back to carrying my laptop for on the road business needs

Sorry for the rant.
    No apology needed. I don't really know how close the ipad or android tabs come to replacing a laptop as I don't use them, but that is the current holy grail of tablets, either 7" or 10" (just a preference as each has +s and -s). Question is, will BB10 take us or at least an updated PB there next year? If not, it will be overtaken by others that will. Either it will be able to effectively make use of the heavy-duty work apps (including skype) or it will be a niche player at best. I'm withholding judgment till March 2013. I think we'll know by then.
    09-01-12 11:58 AM
    Some of the "rants" come from user-related issues, NOT the capability of the Playbook.

For example, I have no problems using Google Docs online. There will always be a limitation on a touch device when you rely on fingers, even iPad and Android, because Google uses right-clickable context menus and left click. Same for Logmein which I use for business.

To get around it, you use a bluetooth mouse/keyboard or bridge your blackberry phone, and you can now left and right click and make full use of Google Docs, Logmein and other cloud-based apps including some Photoshop-type quality photo editors. And with great precision.

A good number of Playbook frustration is due to users not understanding the device or not asking other people how to work around it. Unfortunately it often becomes "Playbook sucks at this or that" when really it could have been solved.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    djdragon likes this.
    09-01-12 02:00 PM
91 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD