I'm just waiting for the Windows 8 full version tablets (not the more limited RT for Arm) to come out. Just imagine have full PC versions software on your tablet... full Office, full Photoshop, full Video editing software, full Skype,a full browser in ie10, a full file explorer, XBox live integration, etc., etc., etc. Plus full access their WP store. It's really a ground breaking accomplishment. Rim will never have anything like this. QNX is designed to be light weight from the ground up and will never have these capabilities. They can come out with BB999 and it won't make a difference. Nor do they have anywhere near the developer support and Apps to be interesting going forward. If some people think that Playbook Apps 'good enough', they have no clue as to what's going on in the Tablet market. Go spend an hour at Best Buy and mess around on the Ipad or Nexus 7. If you are anywhere close to being honest with yourself, you will have a 'come to Jesus' moment where you realize that yeah, QNX OS is good (and obtw hasn't changed significantly really in a year and a half. They've just added native Apps that should have been there in the first place). But Rim is years behind in Apps, both quantity and quality. Microsoft is behind too in the mobile arena (although faster growing and 4 times PB Apps), but not as far as Rim in my opinion and being able to run full x64 processor support is a game changer and will bring full PC power to the Tablet. If you think that BB10 is going to save they day, and then somehow magically dump some 100,000 quality apps in Apps World, you are delusional. The App situation is not going to change fast enough. I will probably keep my PB for awhile as a glorified geek stick, but there is no way I'm shelling out cash for another Rim tablet... Not after the PB experience. Anybody who does either works for Rim or owns their stock, in either case I feel sorry for them. Sorry to lay down some non-fanboy honesty, which doesn't go over well here, but these are things any informed consumer should consider.
    Akuji_ism and brianatbb like this.
    08-28-12 04:32 AM
    I'm just waiting for the Windows 8 full version tablets (not the more limited RT for Arm) to come out. Just imagine have full PC versions software on your tablet... full Office, full Photoshop, full Video editing software, full Skype,a full browser in ie10, a full file explorer, XBox live integration, etc., etc., etc. Plus full access their WP store. It's really a ground breaking accomplishment. Rim will never have anything like this. QNX is designed to be light weight from the ground up and will never have these capabilities. They can come out with BB999 and it won't make a difference. Nor do they have anywhere near the developer support and Apps to be interesting going forward. If some people think that Playbook Apps 'good enough', they have no clue as to what's going on in the Tablet market. Go spend an hour at Best Buy and mess around on the Ipad or Nexus 7. If you are anywhere close to being honest with yourself, you will have a 'come to Jesus' moment where you realize that yeah, QNX OS is good (and obtw hasn't changed significantly really in a year and a half. They've just added native Apps that should have been there in the first place). But Rim is years behind in Apps, both quantity and quality. Microsoft is behind too in the mobile arena (although faster growing and 4 times PB Apps), but not as far as Rim in my opinion and being able to run full x64 processor support is a game changer and will bring full PC power to the Tablet. If you think that BB10 is going to save they day, and then somehow magically dump some 100,000 quality apps in Apps World, you are delusional. The App situation is not going to change fast enough. I will probably keep my PB for awhile as a glorified geek stick, but there is no way I'm shelling out cash for another Rim tablet... Not after the PB experience. Anybody who does either works for Rim or owns their stock, in either case I feel sorry for them. Sorry to lay down some non-fanboy honesty, which doesn't go over well here, but these are things any informed consumer should consider.
    I don't work for RIM or own stock and totally agree with you.
    I bought my PB on the promise of what it was going to be, what a fool i was, just pleased i didn't go for it when it first came out at full price.
    My next tablet will be an android one, but can't justify the purchase yet as my PB is only 7 months old.
    I was trying to use it as a business tool because it was advertised as a professional grade tablet but gave up when i couldn't even access office web apps or google docs, so now it is only used for email, surfing and playing media. I have gone back to carrying my laptop for on the road business needs

Sorry for the rant.
    elbo and brianatbb like this.
    08-28-12 05:25 AM
    Infact I think tablets should come with SD card slots which run from the digi cams directly to the tablets and even well supported on all laptops..
    Toshiba's tablet has a memory slot and removable battery. It also uses conventional hdmi as well as usb. Available in 10 and 7 inch sizes. Android.
    08-28-12 05:57 AM
    What is finally making me switch is the inability to charge my phone. The icon indicates charging but the battery keeps draining. Hit or miss getting it to charge.
    08-28-12 05:59 AM
    I keep them all: one ipad, one androids and one blackberry playbook.

Some of the Ipad apps are just superb.

Android is good for media and overall connectivity.

Playbook have the best OS experience, and browsering is awesome.
    08-28-12 06:24 AM
    Google Drive (formerly Google Docs) works great for me, sorry you cannot get it to work. Also, buying something on what "it is going to be" isn't really a good idea for any purchase. You should buy it for what it is now. But, if you decide to buy something on what it is going to be anyways, you have to realize it is like saying "free beer in 2 days" and never changing the sign.
    08-28-12 06:37 AM
    playbook 16gb to tab10.1 and back to playbook 32gb 7 inch best ever tablet made by RIM
    08-28-12 07:26 AM
    Google Drive (formerly Google Docs) works great for me, sorry you cannot get it to work. Also, buying something on what "it is going to be" isn't really a good idea for any purchase. You should buy it for what it is now. But, if you decide to buy something on what it is going to be anyways, you have to realize it is like saying "free beer in 2 days" and never changing the sign.
    Try scrolling in google docs and you will see what i am on about. Never works for me.
    08-28-12 07:57 AM
    Do you honestly think people who moved away from PB to Apple or Android will still spent time in these forums? You should post this on those forums or ask the question here who did switched from Apple & Android to PB.
    08-28-12 08:36 AM
    I broke down and switched from a Playbook to an Ipad because of the app ecosystem: specifically, medical and statistics apps that are not available nor will be available on the Playbook, e.g., 3D Brain, Functional Neuroanatomy Brain, Brain and Nervous System, StatsMateHD, Stats Pad, and Sample Size. I also switched because various journals that I read have dedicated apps that provide additional content beyond the basic text of the article; again, something that could not be obtained via an app on the Playbook as the Playbook will never be supported. In general, I find the apps on the Ipad much more polished than those on the Playbook, i.e., looks better, runs better, and doesn't feel like you have to fight with the app to get it to work. And lastly I find reading magazines and books on the larger screen to be substantially easier than the 7" screen.

But I still use my Playbook; namely for games, internet browsing, videos, and internet radio. As I refuse to install iTunes on my computer, I dont transfer vidoes/music to it. The Playbook is much more easier and efficient to transfer content to. The Playbook's ability to do more than 2 things at once is also something that I appreciate; it irks me to no end at the "multitasking" of the Ipad - what utter nonscence.
    brianatbb likes this.
    08-28-12 09:09 AM
    while i've been looking at alt tablets just because of things the playbook doesn't have that i need or just want, the playbook has spoiled me for alternatives.

i'm not exactly blown away by android, which would be my first alt choice. it's ok, but nothing like QNX, which, to me, is the ideal platform for a tablet. multitasking on anything but the playbook feels unnatural. i have a galaxy s3 phone and it's really great, but the multitasking makes me a little mental, even for phone apps. doing actual work with tablet apps would drive me around the bend doing it that way. it's slow and clunky compared to the playbooks gestures. if/when android can multiask as quickly and easily as QNX, i'll look at it a little more seriously.

ipad, on the other hand, is just plain out of the running. i won't go into all the reasons, just one. itunes. i can't even begin to express my hatred of itunes. if there's even the slightest chance i'll need to use that steaming pile o......i'll stop now.

a windows 8 tablet is a maybe. pc/network integration sounds great and i'm guaranteed compatibility with all the pc's in my house. however, experience with windows phones and devices of the past has taught me that microsoft doesn't really have a clue about, or want you to use anything, outside of their own ecosystem. the actual windows OS is the only microsoft product i use. no ie, no hotmail, no nothing. that could become an issue.

basically, given the alternatives, i won't be going anywhere. i'm hoping......more than hoping, praying, RIM gets it together and really hits phones/tablets with something phenomenal that will find support for the best apps i need and want. i'm not even a true BB fan, the playbook is my first BB experience, but i like it.
    Uncle Remus likes this.
    08-28-12 12:10 PM
    If 'productivity' is the name of the game, I expect many folks here will give Windows 8 tablets a serious look in Q4.

You can't get much more productive than full desktop apps running on your tablet
    08-28-12 12:58 PM
    Do you honestly think people who moved away from PB to Apple or Android will still spent time in these forums? You should post this on those forums or ask the question here who did switched from Apple & Android to PB.
    Are you kidding? They are always in here posting and correcting false information. They can't wait to jump in and post many times how much better the others are.

Not switching and keeping what I have.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    08-28-12 01:08 PM
    I love my playbook and it will always be the first choice except when I need a bigger screen that being said I am looking/researching for a 10 inch tablet for various reasons a mix of business and pleasure use if blackberry made a 10 in my decision would be blackberry all the way matter of fact I started a thread in general discussion forum looking for suggestions other than I pad, galaxy 10.1 the ipad because l don't like the whole culture over there (no offense to ipad owners ) I guess I'm just not that hipster and the galaxy 10.1 just is getting savaged in most of the reviews I have looked at. I will try to get some hands on with the 10.1 because if I just relied on reviews I would not own my playbook today. Bottom line I want something with a 10in screen.
    08-28-12 01:28 PM
    I went from a 16 gb PB to a 64 gb. I kept saying that I would be first in line for a 10'' PB, but that's not going to happen anytime soon. I bought a 16 gb ipad which I use to read the newspaper on days I don't get it delivered, my magazines, and books from my BN Nook account. I use my PB for everything else, and I prefer my PB over the ipad for the majority of what I do. I'm not much of a game player, so this works for me.
    08-28-12 01:53 PM
    I plan to switch to the MS Surface if it turns out to be as hyped. I need real programs like office and quicken. Docs to go on the playbook is pathetic and I haven't found a BB app yet that will allow me to import data from quicken. In addition, the blackberry keyboard sucks, plain and simple. The virtual one and the official blue tooth one are very limiting. I mean, come on, no tab key or arrows? Really? Does apple have a patent on the basic keyboard layout too?

I'll admit, the playbook is pretty nice for the simple things like Web surfing and bridging, but it is very annoying that you have to find ways to work around all of the playbooks limitations.

Although I plan to switch, it won't be until after bb10 is released. That will give me time to "research" the Surface and give rim a chance for them to get bb10 released. If BB10 is as weak as the past year and a half of updates for the playbook have been, I'll definitely switch. I don't put much confidence in rim to, one, release bb10 on time, or two, have bb10 work without a mess of bugs or quirks. Their track record has proven that they are very very inept.
    Last edited by Mr Donut; 08-28-12 at 04:21 PM.
    08-28-12 04:18 PM
    not likely to switch unless blackberry goes under due to a horrific natural disaster and no longer makes tablets.......
    08-28-12 04:20 PM
    I went from a PB 32 to a PB64 but left that on a shelf for an Android 2.1 until the PB 2.0 OS came out. The Android was a cheap fix to experiment with and although I like the app choices I now use the PB for the UI and the improvements ongoing with the OS and the building apps catalog, whether Android ports or native.
    I recently switched from a BB 9800 to an iPhone as well, but I can't stand the "Chickphone". I'll be getting a BB 10 phone asap.
    08-28-12 04:33 PM
    which tab are you using?
    Samsung Galaxy tab 2 10.1. I really like it.
    08-28-12 05:57 PM
    After RIM screwed up my 32GB and refused to fix it, I was ready to move. But my daughter is in Canada for a few months and I need to be able to video chat to her PlayBook, so I just got a replacement 32. This is not to say that when next I visit a Best Buy I will not pick up a Transformer Infinity - my son has one and it is very, very nice. RIM's idea of customer service is what will make me.
    What happened? What do you mean they screwed it up and refused to fix it?
    dan_dollar likes this.
    08-28-12 06:08 PM
    I was given a 16g Playbook at work. It made me realize how much more useful a tablet was than a laptop for simple media consumption -- web browsing, videos, etc. So I went and bought a 32g iPad because it has Netflix, it has better support for media, it has better and more apps in general. I didn't want to load up a work device with a ton of TV shows and movies so lacking a decent streaming media solution was really the final death knell for it.
    That's interesting to hear - so you mean your employer gave you a PlayBook for work purposes?

I'm just waiting for the Windows 8 full version tablets (not the more limited RT for Arm) to come out. Just imagine have full PC versions software on your tablet...
    I am also interested in Windows 8, and look forward to that tablet. But let's not forget that the full Windows desktop experience is primarily designed for keyboard and mouse. As you know, Microsoft had an XP Tablet Edition going back to 2002! This is why it makes me laugh when people say Apple invented the tablet. In any case, what I like about Windows 8 is that you have the Win8 style apps (metro) which are designed for the tablet interface, but also the ability to run full desktop apps if you choose. That is key. The other thing which is nice is how it is integrated with Microsoft's SkyDrive so that when you log in with your Microsoft account, your desktop will be synced. If this will allow for syncing as far as favorites, files and desktop settings for example, then it will make switching back and forth with a regular PC more pleasant.

RIM's PlayBook is an excellent tablet and consumption device and there is plenty of room in the market for it. RIM isn't trying to decimate Apple, Microsoft or anyone else. I don't understand some of your do or die comments when it comes to RIM and the PlayBook.

If 'productivity' is the name of the game, I expect many folks here will give Windows 8 tablets a serious look in Q4.
    The non-ARM version of the MS Surface (the one which allows running of regular Windows apps) won't be released until sometime in Q1 2013. That means the version being released aroudn the time Windows 8 is launching, will only allow running of the new Windows metro style apps. This version will have Windows 8 RT installed, a slimmed down Windows. The one being released in Q1 2013 has Win 8 Pro.
    Last edited by terminatorx; 08-28-12 at 06:46 PM.
    08-28-12 06:10 PM
    The keyboard on my 64GB PlayBook (although not beta OS) is SMOKING FAST!!!!!

P.S. That keyboard is my Bold 9900 via bridge.

P.P.S. - I've looked everywhere on my 9900, my old 9800, a couple of iPhones, and a few Androids that belong to friends - and have found ZERO phones that have memory slots - external OR internal. THAT WOULD BE SOME PHONE!!!
    Both my Samsung galaxy S3 and galaxy tab 2 have memory slots. I believe both are expandable to 32.
    08-28-12 06:14 PM
    The only thing expandable that I've ever seen is the storage, via microSD cards - memory not so.
    08-29-12 12:47 AM
    The non-ARM version of the MS Surface (the one which allows running of regular Windows apps) won't be released until sometime in Q1 2013. That means the version being released aroudn the time Windows 8 is launching, will only allow running of the new Windows metro style apps. This version will have Windows 8 RT installed, a slimmed down Windows. The one being released in Q1 2013 has Win 8 Pro.
    30% of my work is done in Microsoft Office applications. The Win RT Surface ships with Office pre-installed. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, One Note....that's what's up!

I'd prefer the x86 Windows 8 tablets though.
    08-29-12 01:00 AM
    30% of my work is done in Microsoft Office applications. The Win RT Surface ships with Office pre-installed. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, One Note....that's what's up!
    Yes actually you are correct about this.
    08-29-12 09:06 AM
91 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD