Sorry if I am being dense, but I can't figure out why I would use my 9900 keyboard to type on my Playbook. If I wanted to use a keyboard, why wouldn't I do the task on my 9900? I am sure there is a good reason, but I can't think of one!
    01-09-12 01:07 PM
    I thought the same wsay till I got the blackberry conveertable case. Now I see how it can be cool. Just have to sell my 9810 and get a 9900

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-12 01:13 PM
    I was also trying to figure out real world uses.
    I still don't like typing on virtual keyboards so I guess having the option to use either is good. The ability to use the trackpad to move the cursor would be nice. I may turn out to be one of those things I didn't know I needed.
    I more interested in the remote control function that was mentioned.
    01-09-12 01:26 PM
    With ya on the keyboard part but I can definitely see some value in plugging your playbook into a TV and being able to navigate the playbook from the couch via your BB.
    01-09-12 01:30 PM
    What if you're typing a lot of text in the web browser? I'd rather use the PB browser and the BB keyboard. Not having an hdmi cable stretched across the room to use the PB on a large screen. Hopefully, we can remotely control the camera. Lot's of app integration possibilities.
    01-09-12 01:34 PM
    Because I'm wickedly fast on the 9930 Wonder if it will be laggy?
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-09-12 01:36 PM
    I guess for me, with a lot of things, its nice having a choice. I'm not sure what I would use it for, but I will think of something.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-09-12 01:38 PM
    Typing from the BB keyboard will allow you to see more of the page (e.g Word to Go) rather than having the bottom half concealed behind the virtual keyboard.
    01-09-12 01:39 PM
    I hate typing on a touch screen. While I prefer a full keyboard overall, I prefer typing on the 9900 to the PlayBook. I'm definitely curious to see how well that's going to work, as well as what Scionic suggested as far as what other types of integration might be possible.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-09-12 01:40 PM
    Typing from the BB keyboard will allow you to see more of the page (e.g Word to Go) rather than having the bottom half concealed behind the virtual keyboard.
    This, too!
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-09-12 01:41 PM
    It will be interesting to see how deeply integrated it will be.

How about keyboard shortcuts that work on the PB
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-09-12 01:48 PM
    I think I heard that you can also use it for video control so you can hook up your pb to your tv and control it from your couch using your phone.. I think that would be great for giving presentations as well, where you can switch slides with your phone wil your pb is connected to the projector.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-09-12 01:53 PM
    If you have a preference for a real keyboard that doesn't pop up and cover half of what you are looking at - then it's a no brainer -

The same reason people use bluetooth keyboards - except with this the keyboard is with you anyway and not something else you have to lug around.

I personally am more excited about using the trackpad for precise cursor placement instead of my fat fingers. In other words you can more easily move the cursor over a single space - like you do on the phone. Or tab between links .

Al ot of us still prefer blackberries because of thumbtyping - me _ I like to thumbtype with one hand so I can use the other for other things... not practical with playbook. now I will be able to just set the playbook in front of me and only touch it if I want to scroll, pinch zoom - no more of this poking at the screen business.

With bridge tightly integrated with the phone, it advances the concept of a larger screen for your phone - without having to squint or get your magnifying glass or reading glasses....

Think of it this way - your playbook is propped up on your desk in front of you - your phone right next to it.
    Which is easier to pick up, hold, and start typing with?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-09-12 at 02:24 PM.
    01-09-12 02:09 PM
    Thanks for the replies. I can certainly see the benefit of seeing more of a document and not having the virtual keyboard taking up the PB screen
    01-09-12 02:22 PM
    Well I can type much faster on my 9900 than on the Playbook directly. Imagine though with the new ability of the Remote control from the Blackberry in 2.0 being able to hook your playbook to the hotel TV via HDMI, go into video rental app while sitting on your bed, and typing in the movie name on your phone to search for a title. Or hooked to a TV and editing a Docs to Go doc on the big screen without a laptop. Opens up much more possibilities and having the option doesn't mean you have to do it, it is just providing value add for RIM to try to get people to buy two device instead of just one. I'm psyched about this capability.
    01-09-12 03:06 PM
    Ohhh its perfect for when you have your playbook connected via hdmi to your TV. You can use the 9900 trackpad to navigate and the keyboard for input. Genius!!! I love it!!
    01-09-12 03:10 PM
    for me, i prefer controlling my BB from my PB, i never thought about doing it the other way around
    01-09-12 03:13 PM
    Sorry if I am being dense, but I can't figure out why I would use my 9900 keyboard to type on my Playbook. If I wanted to use a keyboard, why wouldn't I do the task on my 9900? I am sure there is a good reason, but I can't think of one!
    When i use the PB to do a presentation - connected to a big screen - I dont want to sit next to it when switching between slides...

Also - being able to select, and control videos - from a distant - would be great.

One addition I would like to see though, is Playbook to support not only DLNA - but also full AirPlay - so we can send screen/videos to big screens without needing a HDMI cable..
    Even GoogleTV's can now receive AirPlay - so it must be possible for RIM to license it as well...
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    01-09-12 03:54 PM
    for me, i prefer controlling my BB from my PB, i never thought about doing it the other way around
    How about both? Whichever is closest?
    01-09-12 03:58 PM
    Since blackberry has always had the keyboard advantage - and the only reason I could not go iphone when they came out - (too much emailing/texting during the day to suffer a virtual keyboard), I was stoked when I heard about playbook as this seemed like the first thing they would do - an ipad with a real keyboard! and a cure for my touch envy!

It seemed like a no-brainer for RIM to get a jump on ipad, especially among real keyboard fans..and not just the keyboard but the trackpad! Which no other keyboard phone has that I know of. - the best cursor placement control ever.

I was very disappointed when it had not been implemented. But now I'm tickled pink!
    glassofpinot likes this.
    01-09-12 04:04 PM
    I have a dumb question for those more technologically inclined. I've seen some conversation and speculation on various websites and twitter suggesting that the only phone that will be able to connect to the Playbook whereby the phone is used as a keyboard and pointer controller is the 9900.

I'm going to presume that this speculation is inaccurate given that RIM's press release does not put a caveat that this feature would require a 9900.
    01-09-12 07:17 PM
    ^^ doubt it and hope not. I don't see what could be unique about the 9900, unless it requires a higher level OS
    this would force me to finally upgrade from my 9700 - maybe that's the plan.
    01-09-12 07:21 PM
    I have a dumb question for those more technologically inclined. I've seen some conversation and speculation on various websites and twitter suggesting that the only phone that will be able to connect to the Playbook whereby the phone is used as a keyboard and pointer controller is the 9900.

I'm going to presume that this speculation is inaccurate given that RIM's press release does not put a caveat that this feature would require a 9900.
    No it will be a feature in the bridge. Curves are still the big sellers. I would say at worst it would be an OS limitation (maybe require OS 7 or 7.1), but definitely not a single device limitation. I know my old OS5 device with Bridge seemed taxed so they may not be able to support older devices with little memory for all features. I wouldn't have an issue if they said you needed an OS 7 minimum device to use additional features as it could help move those.
    01-09-12 08:47 PM
    Yeah I'm really hoping I don't need a new phone. I just bought my 9800 last June!
    01-09-12 09:04 PM
    Yeah I'm really hoping I don't need a new phone. I just bought my 9800 last June!
    I think it would be a good question for someone to ask RIM at CES. Having purchased a 9780 at full price less then six months ago, I'd be less than thrilled to find out some of the bridge enhancements require OS 7+.

Hopefully this is simply a rumor and not fact.
    01-09-12 09:34 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD