I have been wondering this for a while. Does anyone know the reason why native BBM isn't available for the Playbook?

Is it an issue with the QNX OS?
    Do there not care to put it on a wifi only device?
    Is it coming?

I have read before that there is no bbm because BBM has to go through a carrier and not wifi. I personally know this to be false. I have used BBM on my blackberry phone numerous times in the US and Mexico while on wifi only (I am from canada and shut off my cell and data services while travelling). So if my phone can use BBM over wifi only then why can't the Playbook?

Thanks in advance for any knowledge into this.

Brian
    04-25-12 07:08 PM
    I'm guessing it has to do with the fact the PlayBook runs QNX. It's possible that it would have taken a while to port over BIS-related functions to this platform (which may be why there was talk of BIS being removed on BB10 devices). Yes, I'm doing a lot of speculating here, but that's pretty much all we can do. There's also the issue of keeping contacts synced between both devices. Short of using the same PIN (which would cause all sorts of problems on the server side), it probably isn't an easy task for them to have a phone & tablet synced at all times.

You are correct that it isn't carrier-specific, since you can connect to BIS using a Wi-Fi connection - but only on a phone.
    04-25-12 07:29 PM
    It's still in the oven..

Long story short, RIM never found a way to make QNX talk to the NOC in time.. it will come later.
    jafobabe and brian4591 like this.
    04-25-12 07:43 PM
    I guess that oven is overcrowded by now.......just sayin
    04-25-12 07:48 PM
    I have read before that there is no bbm because BBM has to go through a carrier and not wifi. I personally know this to be false. I have used BBM on my blackberry phone numerous times in the US and Mexico while on wifi only (I am from canada and shut off my cell and data services while travelling). So if my phone can use BBM over wifi only then why can't the Playbook
    You're forgetting something here. Your PIN is registered with either BIS or BES, which you pay for with your monthly data plan. This allows your BlackBerry phone to be connected to RIM's servers. This can be done with carrier data, wifi data, or a combination of both. It must be connected to RIM's servers up in Canada though.

Your PlayBook has no connection with RIM servers other than when you're over Bridge. If you have an old BlackBerry laying around, turn it on, connect it to wifi, and see if you BBM works (Hint: it won't). So BBM doesn't work over just wifi.

RIM needs money to run those servers up in Canada, which probably isn't very cheap. So I assume if/when we get native BBM (I don't see it ever happening on a wifi only PlayBook) we will be forced to pay some kind of subscription fee.
    brian4591 likes this.
    04-25-12 07:51 PM
    @ridesno159,

I like smart people on here. That makes perfect sense. So does what Bla1se wrote.

But to a degree I understand it costs RIM money for the service but to have so many more people buying playbooks and using BBM it would increase their popularity. I know a lot of people that wanted to use BBM on the playbook and it could have been a selling feature and it would make the depleting BBM population grow a little more again.

We'll see where it goes. I hope Bla1se is right and it is in the oven.

Brian
    04-25-12 08:02 PM
    Dunno, I bought 'Blackberry IM+' from App World and have been using for MSN, Yahoo and Google chats. It works amazingly well. Very happy with it.

Yes, it costs $7.99 to buy, but it works exceptionally well.
    04-25-12 08:39 PM
    It's still in the oven..

Long story short, RIM never found a way to make QNX talk to the NOC in time.. it will come later.
    I think I read on cb that BBM is not build for more than one device/ one pin only. So there are a lot changes needed to solve that.

One of course would be a pin for playbook it self

Perhaps then an option for pb+bb owners to bind each together to receive all pins etc on both devices...

Sadly I'm not using BBM anymore as no one of my friends using bb anymore :/

We use gtalk mostly but there I often have the problem that I'm off line without recognizing it...
    04-25-12 09:38 PM
    Your PlayBook has no connection with RIM servers other than when you're over Bridge. If you have an old BlackBerry laying around, turn it on, connect it to wifi, and see if you BBM works (Hint: it won't). So BBM doesn't work over just wifi.

RIM needs money to run those servers up in Canada, which probably isn't very cheap. So I assume if/when we get native BBM (I don't see it ever happening on a wifi only PlayBook) we will be forced to pay some kind of subscription fee.
    Just thought about something. Isn't it going throught the same servers as the video chat? What would be the difference? Other than BBM would use way less data through the servers.
    04-25-12 09:45 PM
    i bet 4G playbook will have native bbm, push mail etc (which is what it should have been released in the first launch) - carriers will get their share of revenue (via data plan).
    a wifi playbook will never get bbm or full BIS/BES support as it is not a revenue source for both rim and carriers - that is why it fails.

i would think that a 4G playbook, with a full BIS/BES support, will be a success. yes, with additional data plan.
    let some people save their money by bridging ( i can't stand how slow and laggy the whole bridge experience is).
    For most people who can spend +300$ on a tablet, 10-20$/month data is fair and much better than frustration with bridge and realising how crippled the pb experience is with no BIS/BES support.
    04-25-12 10:36 PM
    i bet 4G playbook will have native bbm, push mail etc (which is what it should have been released in the first launch) - carriers will get their share of revenue (via data plan).
    a wifi playbook will never get bbm or full BIS/BES support as it is not a revenue source for both rim and carriers - that is why it fails.

i would think that a 4G playbook, with a full BIS/BES support, will be a success. yes, with additional data plan.
    let some people save their money by bridging ( i can't stand how slow and laggy the whole bridge experience is).
    For most people who can spend +300$ on a tablet, 10-20$/month data is fair and much better than frustration with bridge and realising how crippled the pb experience is with no BIS/BES support.
    Actually bridged is not so slow with my pb/9900 and a lot less battery draining as it would be via wifi hot spot, so bridge is okay for wiki pbs...

But yeah if no bis 5 per month will be needed for a data plan with a lte playbook I could get 1gb for 7-10 euro with a lot of prepaid network/provider options

If bis I would have to pay 3x. Wouldn't want that
    04-26-12 02:02 AM
    BBM is being ported to QNX. It'll appear on BB10 first.
    04-26-12 02:08 AM

One of course would be a pin for playbook it self

Perhaps then an option for pb+bb owners to bind each together to receive all pins etc on both devices....
    PB already has a PIN
    04-26-12 11:27 PM
    Just thought about something. Isn't it going throught the same servers as the video chat? What would be the difference? Other than BBM would use way less data through the servers.
    I think you are completely right. RIM announced that they will release BBM on BB10 to the playbook but they did not say which version. I hope both versions because they are both capable of running the app.
    09-26-12 12:35 AM
    I'm guessing, but I think we'll see the PB BBM use a compose BBM from which account type setting where you can select the PIN to use. (like email on a BB...select the email account to use)

The trick is getting your BBID to accept 2 PINs at the same time (without having to switch devices). Again, it's just a guess, but I bet that's the issue.

Down the road, we'll probably see PB's with its own BBM and the bridged BBM in the bridge folder. This would make BBM message control easy to handle, just like the current mail/messages setup.
    09-26-12 01:36 AM
    BBM is RIM's crown jewel. Coming with BB10.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    09-26-12 02:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD