Using Blackberry Device Manager on my desktop, Im able to view the Playbook file directory (at least the portion they allow to see if PB not rooted).

In four different Dirctories, I found the exact same files in each.

The top or home directory has a folder labeled "\download".

In the the folder labeled "\misc", there is three directories labeled
    "\download"
    "\Download"
    "\Downloads"

Within each directory, they all have the exact same files that I downloaded from the native browser.

Here is the kicker, NONE of the files are shortcuts pointing to an originating file. The attributes confirm they are real files. The files sizes are all the same in all four directories and the save dates are the same.

When I tried to delete a file from one directory. The same files in the other directories were gone, too! Does not matter which directory I delete the file from.

Im curious why this happens as this seems to take up unnecessary storage space with duplication.

I am running 2.1.0.840 Beta.

Thanks.
    09-28-12 05:16 PM
    I have noticed this also. I believe they are the same directories but with different mounting points. Or they are links.
    09-28-12 05:25 PM
    I don't think they are links or shortcuts.

When I'm connected to the Desktop PC and mount the PB as a another drive, the duplicate files are not shown to be shortcuts or links to the master file.
    09-28-12 05:57 PM
    If you do your own totaling of file sizes, you will find that they don't actually exist as duplicates but any reference to one and any action on one will act upon them all - Delete any "version" of that file and as you've noticed, they are all DELETED. It is just the way the pb and its Android player need to reference files - creating a duplicate (or more) hierarchy.

edited to add: Windows Explorer will add them all and show the wrong property totals for the number of files and their total size.
    09-28-12 06:39 PM
    I don't think they are links or shortcuts.

When I'm connected to the Desktop PC and mount the PB as a another drive, the duplicate files are not shown to be shortcuts or links to the master file.
    You proved they ARE links, because deleting one deletes all. Unfortunately the Windows file system can't handle *nix file systems and pointer references properly, the concept doesn't even exist in Windows.
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    09-28-12 06:52 PM
    Ok. I'll bite. These are not duplicates but are links or shortcuts to one file.

So the next question is why do I need so many shortcuts and folders with the same name ( ie "download" )???
    09-28-12 07:54 PM
    Ok. I'll bite. These are not duplicates but are links or shortcuts to one file.

So the next question is why do I need so many shortcuts and folders with the same name ( ie "download" )???
    Sorry, that one I can't answer - it is either the way Rim implemented it or more likely, that each Android app creates its own "needed" folder and being unix-y, maybe, CAse MaTTers and makes for different FoLdErs. But that's all speculation on my part. I go back to Cobol and not forward to unix!

And they are more than links or shortcuts - shortcuts, at least, can be deleted without losing the underlying real file.
    09-28-12 09:18 PM
    I still think these are symbolic links. Old windows and dos used to have them. There were always two different kinds, symbolic and dynamic. Symbolic didn't really exist it was just a file that pointed to a directory. So when you opened it you saw that directory, yet it took up no real space on drive.. But that's just my 2 cents
    09-30-12 04:41 PM
    They are not real files, they are links and virtual folders used by the android app player.

Like branta said, MS Windows can't handle that and if you try to copy, it will act like it's dealing with loads of files (creating real files in the destination folder).

There were news about RIM licensing NTFS (or some other Microsoft file system). We may not have to deal with this in the near future.
    09-30-12 05:39 PM
    They're not symbolic links, but rather hard links to the same inode.
    09-30-12 05:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD