View Poll Results: Why do our Playbooks react differently to the same updates?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Software problem

25 42.37%
  • Hardware problem

4 6.78%
  • User error

17 28.81%
  • Other

13 22.03%
    As the title says, why do different Playbooks have so many different reactions to OS updates?

I have had nothing but positive experiences with both .668 and .1032, yet so many others have had everything from small glitches to total nightmares with their Playbooks.

Is it just a software issue, hardware related, user error related, or something else? What's your opinion?
    10-06-12 01:27 PM
    Its. the way people are.

Companies never install the latest update - they want the system stable and quite often the new changes are irrelevent to them. People naturally resist change and are a bit spoiled. They always want the best of everything and some people just get complainy when anything changes.

But thre are also people who love changes, risks and trying new things. It would be cool if we could see the POV's stretched accross generation groupings. Id like to see what Gen Y thinks on average lol.
    Blacklatino and Mecca EL like this.
    10-06-12 01:39 PM
    I have had nothing but positive experiences with both .668 and .1032, yet so many others have had everything from small glitches to total nightmares with their Playbooks.
    I, like you have had nothing but positive experiences. I bought my Playbook just before 2.0 dropped. By time I received it I had to install 2.0 at set up. I have installed every update since to include .668. About 3 weeks after .668 I decided to make the plunge into 2.1 beta and received two updates in beta. I am now also on .1032. I can honestly say every update so far has only helped my Playbook.
    10-06-12 02:06 PM
    me...my experience has been wonderful..
    10-06-12 07:20 PM
    no one playbook has the same apps and settings applied to it. One PB could have an app that doesnt like the new update and causing issues while a PB that doesnt have that app runs fine
    10-06-12 07:27 PM
    Like most of the above, I've updated to every available OS (except for. 668). I've had nothing but good experiences. Both 2.1 betas and the "official" .1032 offered incremental improvements, and no issues. Waiting for BB10.....
    10-06-12 08:00 PM
    If everyone on here did a clean wipe and installed the latest os all our devices would work the same. Beyond that you are introducing variables that are not tested for in all cases by RIM.

Its like windows pcs. Even after all these years upgrading from one version of windows to another is fraught with issues. So you reformat install... And reinstall your programs and put data back manually if you want the least chance of issues.

And RIM does not seem to have the best overall quality control to add to the issues.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    ryacht and kbz1960 like this.
    10-06-12 08:02 PM
    no one playbook has the same apps and settings applied to it. One PB could have an app that doesnt like the new update and causing issues while a PB that doesnt have that app runs fine
    I totally agree. With so many variations of any hardware/software environment some results after update/upgrade may produce undesired effects.
    With every PlayBook OS update we always seem two have sides of the story (as seen on this very forum), happy folks and not so happy ones.
    Not long time ago I was one of more fortunate ones to be able to get .668 and to have a smooth run with it with no issues at all and noticeable improvements in overall PlayBook experience.
    My overall experience so far with newest OS .1032 is very positive. I see a lot has improved (email, text, Android to list a few). However my battery life is sadly worst, at least for now.
    ..and now I�m patiently awaiting arrival of BB10.
    10-06-12 08:34 PM
    I cannot see any logical reason for holding up on a new release. They are never perfect, so there is no reason to hold on to a particular one. Better to try a new one and its obligatory imperfections.
    10-07-12 03:36 AM
    So you reformat install... And reinstall your programs and put data back manually if you want the least chance of issues.
    right, thats the main reason. variety of circumstances.

also the variety of use cases. some dont use local calender. they dont suffer from lost entries. some dont use andoid apps. they dont see and welcome the progress there.

finally the variety of users. many dont like changes. some of them even dont want to aknowledge progress, so much they rant about the differences. many others are bored and want something new each version. some of them even get angry with too little change.

some people then say "people in forum dont know what they want". well, its not only one person here ...

Ray

Gesendet von meinem BlackBerry Playbook "Android Player" mit Tapatalk
    Mecca EL likes this.
    10-07-12 04:10 AM
    oh, despite of not wiping before or after update, moving to 2.1 and rebooting twice gave me a very good result. almost no loss, i like the bugfixes and better speed. most of the new features dont affect me. still i m reliefed.

more details on the other thread

ray

10-07-12 04:13 AM
    If everyone on here did a clean wipe and installed the latest os all our devices would work the same. Beyond that you are introducing variables that are not tested for in all cases by RIM.

Its like windows pcs. Even after all these years upgrading from one version of windows to another is fraught with issues. So you reformat install... And reinstall your programs and put data back manually if you want the least chance of issues.

And RIM does not seem to have the best overall quality control to add to the issues.

Not always. On the last beta if you did a wipe and install you lost the Droid player. So wiping is not advisable every time you update.

Different upgrade paths, apps and yes some goofs made by RIM caused these issues.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    DC506 likes this.
    10-07-12 04:53 AM
    I think it's a combination of the factors you list. I have had only positive experiences until 1032 and I've installed all my updates OTA. For some reason I have encountered several glitches this time. I backed up yesterday because I'm considering wiping and starting from scratch. Even now the glitches are mainly just annoyances but I've been spoiled by the PlayBook's performance and wanted to see if it was something with the update or just the cumulative affects of running and updating an operating system over the past year.
    10-07-12 07:04 AM
    As the title says, why do different Playbooks have so many different reactions to OS updates?

Is it just a software issue, hardware related, user error related, or something else? What's your opinion?
    It's funny, I just posted the same response to a new post before seeing this post.
    Like you, I've had no problems with any version of the OS.
    I've always assumed the problems were caused by the user but I'm not so sure about that now.
    I wonder how consistent the hardware really is?
    I'm going to have to choose Other because I have no idea what is causing it.
    10-07-12 07:49 AM

I have owned Windows PCs since there was Windows (3.x days) and I have never done an upgrade for the reasons mentioned. Always a reformat and reinstall. The problem, it appears to me, is that there is no equivalent procedure available for a Playbook. Now please don't jump on me about rooting or dingleberry... perhaps there is a way but I have never done these things.

I was one of the unlucky ones when upgrading to .668. I lost my camera. I tried every possible RIM approved way to get back to a factory fresh version (.358) but no matter what I did the camera never came back to life. Folks, this nasty little bug is still there in this latest version. Witness how many have reported the same error I got... Error 4003 or "camera in use by another application".

My 32GB Playbook is on it's way to RIM for repair (full software reinstall I'm sure) because I can't get to the bottom end of the OS to fix it myself. I want very much to update my 64GB Playbook but now know there are software incompatibilities that I, as an end user, have no way to determine or to correct.

Yes, upgrading is a crap shoot. All this being said, I do love my Playbook!
    10-07-12 07:51 AM
    Folks, this nasty little bug is still there in this latest version. Witness how many have reported the same error I got... Error 4003 or "camera in use by another application".
    That's the point of this post, if the bug is still there why has it not affected every Playbook?
    I also installed .668 and my camera works fine. I also had no problems with the battery that others had with .668.
    10-07-12 08:02 AM
    That's the point of this post, if the bug is still there why has it not affected every Playbook?
    I also installed .668 and my camera works fine. I also had no problems with the battery that others had with .668.
    Same here, while I have had some issues I've been on them all and have never had a camera or other hardware problem.
    10-07-12 08:06 AM
    It's funny, I just posted the same response to a new post before seeing this post.
    Like you, I've had no problems with any version of the OS.
    I've always assumed the problems were caused by the user but I'm not so sure about that now.
    I wonder how consistent the hardware really is?
    I'm going to have to choose Other because I have no idea what is causing it.
    Disclaimer: the following is just my opinion

I really don't think it is a software problem. There are too many people unaffected.

I can't decide if it is:
    1. Hardware Related - things such as date of manufacture, different part suppliers, etc
    2. The Human Factor - what configuration of apps are installed, what steps were taken before and after the updates, etc

....just some food for thought.
    10-07-12 08:34 AM
    See the post I replied to. Our point is that there is NEVER a "clean install". It's always an upgrade and everyone starts from a slightly different place. I'll give you a "for instance". And please, this is not a real example by any means. It's just to explain a point. Suppose one person has under a hundred pix saved on their Playbook when they upgrade and another has more than a hundred. Maybe the person with less pix saved has no issues and the other loses his camera.

There are just too many variables to account for when writing a software update and the longer a platform is out there I would guess the more difficult that becomes. One of the RIM or QNX top people (think it was QNX), during a speech, talked about old OS's becoming "spaghetti-like" after a time, so many patches and work arounds that it becomes impossible to account for everything.

Hopefully, BB10 will be so new, and so unrelient on old code that even though it will come as an upgrade to our Playbooks, it will be mostly bug free.
    10-07-12 08:44 AM
    See the post I replied to. Our point is that there is NEVER a "clean install". It's always an upgrade and everyone starts from a slightly different place. I'll give you a "for instance". And please, this is not a real example by any means. It's just to explain a point. Suppose one person has under a hundred pix saved on their Playbook when they upgrade and another has more than a hundred. Maybe the person with less pix saved has no issues and the other loses his camera.
    Ah yes, I see what you mean.
    We all have the same device but we all didn't start from the same point when updating to the latest OS.
    Another thing is we all don't use the software in the same way. The calendar and contacts, for example, are very different depending on how you populate them.
    10-07-12 09:37 AM
    right, thats the main reason. variety of circumstances.

also the variety of use cases. some dont use local calender. they dont suffer from lost entries. some dont use andoid apps. they dont see and welcome the progress there.

finally the variety of users. many dont like changes. some of them even dont want to aknowledge progress, so much they rant about the differences. many others are bored and want something new each version. some of them even get angry with too little change.

some people then say "people in forum dont know what they want". well, its not only one person here ...

Ray

Yes. Even as young as the PlayBook and the platform is -- there are already many hundreds of possible upgrade scenarios I would expect, if not more when you take into account some running betas and side loading by some, and on and on...

And then after upgrading its not like each user thoroughly tests their device. I will admit I do relatively little with my PlayBook even though I use it a LOT. My use is not all that deep. I browse the web, use TapaTalk and do emails and now some texts. And I bridge when on the go. That's all. So for me the upgrade and new version are pretty much perfect. Whereas someone else that is heavily using media, etc. is probably finding a lot of issues.
    10-07-12 09:59 AM
    Ah yes, I see what you mean.
    We all have the same device but we all didn't start from the same point when updating to the latest OS.
    Another thing is we all don't use the software in the same way. The calendar and contacts, for example, are very different depending on how you populate them.
    I have read posts wondering why RIM can't seem to get this thing or that thing right but I'll have to tell you that it ain't easy. I have been an electronic tech. all my life (recently retired) and know from experience that patching, updating or including new features (whether it be hardware or software) can be a frustrating experience, especially if you are working on someone elses design.

I would much rather start fresh. At least then you know that if the product is buggy, you put the bugs there and no one else. Makes it much easier to fix.

RIM has a good product. I suspect that BB10 will be a great one.
    10-07-12 10:04 AM
    There are also many permutations due to the bridge app. Not everyone is using the same phone/same BBOS/same bridge app version. It took me awhile to get back on my home wifi after the 2.1 upgrade. Eventually the playbook connected on its own with no help from me. It seems the Playbook and the phone talked it out over the bridge, and it's been fine ever since.
    10-07-12 10:18 AM
    As I wrote in another similar but non-polling thread:

I wonder why there were so many different sized upgrades even for people in the same country. On the Initial Release thread there were at least a half dozen different sizes posted for the OS upgrades even for those coming from either the former beta or the official OS. Could rim have released a mix of upgrades, all labeled the same but varying slightly?
    DC506 likes this.
    10-07-12 06:59 PM
    well i dont get this too....
    Playbook Hardware should be identical, so only user apps and configurations should vary.
    How can this create a problem for a OS update. We are talking about a locked down device, with no root access or anything like that. The core of the playbok of one guy/girl shouldnt be any different from the one of another. How can an user installed app or config setting create problems like the camera bug or other problems with hardware not working anymore.

I know there are a lot of RIM defenders on here, but hey. This is my first device of this kind that has problems like this :-/ and someone definatly isnt doing his job right at RIM.
    Yeah Yeah i know they are working on BB10, but they should also focus on the customers they have right now and those are the ones that possible buy a BB10 device.
    With the RIM experience i have right now because of the playbook i seriously doubt that at the moment, but time will tell.

I love my playbook but once in a month i want to throw it at the wall usually i calm down after a bit, fix the thing on my own and hope that rim will do better in the future.
    10-07-12 07:25 PM
28 12