Personally, I have given up on the idea of watching videos or TV on any tablet (in my case iPad and PB). It is just not possible unless you can devote a good chunk of your life to it.
    do people actually watch their pc while it converts files? kinda like the washing machine, I turn it on and walk away. (and, yeah, I'm glad someone mentioned the ipad)
    12-20-12 01:23 PM
    You are using cars and home phones as analogies to the Playbook. To be more realistic the home computer would be a better comparison.
    Like the Playbook a PC comes complete with standard apps to play media, write a letter and browse the Internet but they aren't as good as third party apps. Most of us buy a computer then load up the apps we like to use. It's the same with any tablet.

KalemSoft's Media Player (hence forth referred to as KMP) is the best I have used and I've tried them all. It will stream from it's own server running on a PC, stream from a DLNA server or play files stored locally on the Playbook. The advantage over the included media player is that KMP will play files using video and audio codecs that the standard player will not. KMP will also resume playing where you stopped a video.
    If you are going to watch your own DVDs on the Playbook you are going to have to rip them somehow so you may as well learn.

Most of your questions, if they are questions, have been answered several times on the forum but we are willing to answer them again if you are specific.
    The question about Netflix on BB10, for example, is up to Netflix. If they want an app on BB10 then there will be one. So far they haven't been receptive.
    12-20-12 02:59 PM
    I don't find watching vids on my pb any hassle whatsoever. Use this, plus streams, when travelling for work and hols. Never had an issue, plus its a godsend on some flights / journeys. Kalemsoft plays everything I throw at it; I don't use netflix or lovefilm so am not fussed, but can't live without my sports streams - which work fantastically on the PB. I've had much better results, clarity and quality of vids on my PB than any other tablet i've owned. Each to their own, but I remain a happy bunny!
    Cynycl likes this.
    12-20-12 03:00 PM
    As mentioned, I have three playbooks and the films are for my son. I would like to put movies on for him, simple as that or not as it seems.
    12-24-12 07:14 AM
    All these soft ware names everyone mentions, kalemsoft, handbrake etc. Are they completely legal and no infringement on copyright?
    12-24-12 07:16 AM
    I guess its a difference of opinion. I don't consider hitting a few buttons and coming back in a half hour a lot work to convert a video. That like when someone complains about doing laundry. Unless your taking your clothes to the river and beating them on rocks its not much work. The washer is doing the work.
    What's "Laundry"?
    12-24-12 07:29 AM
    The software is legal. What you do with may not be.
    I use Handbrake for converting DVD's. Handbrake alone won't work with the copyright protection on many DVD's. There is another program that has to run in the background while converting. DVD43 I think it's called.
    Is it legal to covert DVD's that I own for my own use? Probably not but I will do it anyway. I never share the files with anyone. Just my personal use.
    12-24-12 07:34 AM
    What's "Laundry"?
    Laundry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    12-24-12 07:38 AM
    All these soft ware names everyone mentions, kalemsoft, handbrake etc. Are they completely legal and no infringement on copyright?
    Kalemsoft is a media player so the software itself is as legal as the media player included on the Playbook.
    Handbrake is a media ripper / converter. If you own the original media you can convert it to any format you like. The legality of this depends on where you live. The tools are generally not illegal even if the results of using these tools are illegal.
    12-24-12 12:40 PM
34 12