Ok without trying to sound like a troll I'm asking a serious question. I have an ipad, a touchpad which dual-boots cm9, a wp7 phone, and my gf has a iphone 4. In saying that I pride myself on knowing a lot about the phone/tablet market and I'm really not trying to be negative but what's the reason for getting a playbook.

In my asking the question it's in good faith. My gf was one of a few people on the planet that actually like the 1st gen storm, and she wants to get back to it cause she hasn't ever really liked the iphone 4. I hear bb10 is based off QNX which is what the playbook uses but are the bb10 phones going to be anything like the playbook or are they just going to be similar only different?

I would like to get a leg up on bb10 phones so I know them and could help her make a decision whether or not to get a bb10 phone or a new iphone or even maybe a wp8 like I am going to get. But the question remains what's the reason to get a playbook?

Thanks Justin
    jbenny likes this.
    05-12-12 06:16 PM
    No need for additional data package if you have already have data on a BB. That's worth the price I paid for my Playbook.

It also helps me that the web sites I use for my job are flash based, so I have no issues in doing what work I need to do.
    jegs2 likes this.
    05-12-12 06:21 PM
    I'd suggest you go look at the videos from BBWorld 2012. You'd have an idea what BB10 is head towards.

And that's all we can do for you. WE don't know what BB10 will really look like.

I find the question to be troll bait though. Sorry. We just had too many of that happen to believe such 1st post to be an honest question.
    Hgouck likes this.
    05-12-12 06:23 PM
    Why should anyone eat a hamburger?
    05-12-12 06:26 PM
    Why should anyone eat a hamburger?
    That's a bad example lol... Hamburgers are fast food, very low nutritional value. In fact, we really shouldn't eat hamburgers.
    deezy87, mrzeolite and Yaceka like this.
    05-12-12 06:30 PM
    Ouch you guys are kind of rude. I have watched the videos of bbworld 2012 and I have been impressed by what I say. I was asking about the playbook and what I could do that I can't do with anything else I have. I've been going back and forth on buying one off ebay but damn if this is what the blackberry community is like it's really not helpful.
    05-12-12 06:30 PM
    Well what do you want to do that the others do not?
    05-12-12 06:34 PM
    That's a bad example lol... Hamburgers are fast food, very low nutritional value. In fact, we really shouldn't eat hamburgers.
    LOL well yes but the question is like why should anyone buy, insert item. My thought is because that is what they want not what someone else wants them to want or like.
    JELLOMAN99 and Hgouck like this.
    05-12-12 06:37 PM
    Instead of an ipad someone could buy a playbook and 200 hamburgers on the way home with their change.

Seriously, what gohogs911 said id say too.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-12-12 06:38 PM
    Ok without trying to sound like a troll I'm asking a serious question. I have an ipad, a touchpad which dual-boots cm9, a wp7 phone, and my gf has a iphone 4. In saying that I pride myself on knowing a lot about the phone/tablet market and I'm really not trying to be negative but what's the reason for getting a playbook.

In my asking the question it's in good faith. My gf was one of a few people on the planet that actually like the 1st gen storm, and she wants to get back to it cause she hasn't ever really liked the iphone 4. I hear bb10 is based off QNX which is what the playbook uses but are the bb10 phones going to be anything like the playbook or are they just going to be similar only different?

I would like to get a leg up on bb10 phones so I know them and could help her make a decision whether or not to get a bb10 phone or a new iphone or even maybe a wp8 like I am going to get. But the question remains what's the reason to get a playbook?

Thanks Justin
    because it is cheap and more powerful than ipad and android tablets.

Sent from Tapatalk for Playbook
    erhan8 likes this.
    05-12-12 06:43 PM
    These forums are filled things the PB can do. I won't list the approximately 20,000 it can do. I bought mine to do some of those things. From your list of devices you do not NEED a PB. If you do your research here the same you did to find out all about the devices you already have you may see that you WANT a PB. I choose mine and a BB phone above all the devices you list. This is the best RIM community in cyberspace; read the stickies then go out and buy PB. Return it if you don't like or be amazed and put your other devices on ebay before they get dusty.
    05-12-12 06:50 PM
    Indeed! My dad has an iPad I have a PB. He loves his iPad BUT on an upcoming trip we happen to go on together, he had to haul a laptop and I well.... PB and RIM keyboard!

I asked him why the Mac air book and he said... he needed to work on word and excel documents. Well, not a problem for me . PB does both nicely.
    05-12-12 06:51 PM
    The smaller size than the iPad works very well for me, and the PlayBook's ability to multi-task is really slick. I routinely have my browser going along with Word and/or Excel, a pdf or two, and I am answering email at the same time without missing a beat. In addition they are available for much less than an iPad, plus there is the monthly data savings by being able to bridge as mentioned above.
    05-12-12 06:54 PM
    For me it's a good affordable tablet that works great with my phone and has really good Internet access with the browser. That said I have not used anything else. I take it so when in hotel I can go online without laptop. There are a few games some apps that are cool but for me not a big issue
    05-12-12 06:59 PM
    I guess I'm just asking anyone who actually uses a playbook what's the best things about them. Is it good enough just to buy to look at it for a advanced bb10 phone?
    JELLOMAN99 likes this.
    05-12-12 07:06 PM
    Well, not sure where you live, but if you live in a country that allow refunds, why not buy it and try it out. The PlayBook is awesome in some aspects, not so awesome in some aspects, and it might be great for some, but not great for others.

I have a Touchpad booting to CM9, but PlayBook remains my device of choice all day long. Comparing those two devices, while PlayBook lacks some apps, the PlayBook is much faster, more responsive, and the UI is significantly better than the Android UI IMHO. Some people might like pressing the home button and the task button in Android/iOS, but I absolutely hate it, and I think the gesture based UI on the PlayBook is very intuitive.

In terms of BB10, we saw some glimpses of cool things that it has, but until it comes to market, we don't really know what it's going to look like and what functions it will have/not have.

I won't buy the PlayBook in anticipation of things to come (you'll just be disappointed when the new OS isn't as good as you expect it to be...just like those of us who are early adopters of the PlayBook). Try it out. If your gf is happy with it, keep it. If not, just return it. Plenty of tablet options out there.
    05-12-12 07:13 PM
    I have a touchpad does anyone have a playbook and a touchpad that can tell me what the differences are cause they both kind of look the same to me. My dad has a pre 3 and the playbook just kind of looks like a 7in one of those. But yeah other then the 1st few you guys are being really helpful. I'm on the wpcentral and and webosnation forums all the time and they are nothing but the best. So thanks for keeping up with the great mobile nations high level of excellence I come to expect from their forums. Unlike engadget or the verge's pages. Those guys turn everything into a fight.
    Indeed! My dad has an iPad I have a PB. He loves his iPad BUT on an upcoming trip we happen to go on together, he had to haul a laptop and I well.... PB and RIM keyboard!

I asked him why the Mac air book and he said... he needed to work on word and excel documents. Well, not a problem for me . PB does both nicely.
    Your Dad needs to do some research on what his iPad can do. Anyway, the MacBook Air is hardly a "laptop" - its probably not thicker than your Playbook.
    All the tech stuff aside it is a nice tablet that you can do a lot of fun and business work on it. It is a steal at 299 for 64gig device and in spite of some people's low opinions of the PlayBook I find it useful and fun. If your girlfriend wants one buy it, my God man she could be asking for a car.
    ambarmetta and Mr.Monty like this.
    05-12-12 07:18 PM
    We have an ipad, my kids love it and use a lot, so i usually ended with no tablet to use, so decided to get my own tablet, was supposed to get ipad hd, but came across bb playbook 2.0 on youtube, that changed the game.

Price of pb is a no brainer, specially with what i can do with Bridge. Youtube is your best source of info with visuals.
    05-12-12 07:18 PM
    I've had mine for 3 weeks now and I will admit to being A LOT in love with it. My first smart phone was the Torch 9800 and then a year later I upgraded to the 9860. I wanted to try the virtual keyboard in case I had to go to an iPhone or android in the off chance RIM dropped the ball with BB10. I bought my PB because it was crazy cheap ($199 with the charging stand) and I wanted to give OS2.0 a go. The things I love are it's format factor (perfect for my morning RSS reading everymorning in portrait), it's BB data connectability, it's multi-tasking (GeeReader, browser and BBM all at the same time) and the swipe gestures are incredibly intuitive. It's actually the swiping that has me so optimisticabout BB10. If the swiping is even half as good as it is on the PB these BB10 are going to be incredible.

Ultimately you have to own one to truly appreciate who great it is. Luckily they are crazy cheap right now because the general public are drinking the Kool-Aid.
    05-12-12 07:20 PM
    My gf is more interested in maybe a bb10 phone and I'm thinking it's based off QNX which is what the playbook is. And yeah I've seen them on ebay for 150 for the 16 gig. I'm in the good ol' USA so they easy to get. The bb data thing is only if you have a bb phone right? Thanks everyone.
    05-12-12 07:28 PM
    Yes data as of now is from bb phones. 4G playbook tobe released later this year i think.
    05-12-12 07:31 PM
    Yes bb10 is based off of the pb OS which in turn will turn into bb10 at some point
    Yes bridge only works with a bb phone but most, not all phones, can tether via bluetooth.

I still haven't seen you say what you want to do that the the devices you have don't.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 05-12-12 at 07:33 PM. Reason: duh
    05-12-12 07:32 PM
    I just was hoping it was someway to get an advanced look at bb10. My kids use my tvs and tablets most the time so I guess I don't just want to buy it just to look at the os and was wanting another reason to buy it. I talk myself into and out of buying one all the time.
    05-12-12 07:41 PM
103 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD