its not selling cuz its a complicated unfamiliar os the the average .
    Playbook is complicated? BlackBerry OS I agree, but PlayBook? I have four five family members with them and none are remotely technical and they all picked it up in a wink.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-29-12 09:31 PM
    Here is a very simple explanation. They can't make a profit selling them at the price they were most recently selling; they depleted the existing stock; and have not had a new production run for nearly a year. A company that is trying to regain its financial footing can not play Google and sell products at an outright loss. There isn't a stockholder around who will appreciate that there is any logic behind saying we moved a lot of units if that cut even further into the company's cash reserves. Even if it had been successful, it is past end of life for a tech product, and it costs RIM money for each one it sells. Very simple and very logical business decision on the part of RIM - don't throw money at something if it costs you more to make it than sell.
    10-29-12 09:40 PM
    Here is a very simple explanation. They can't make a profit selling them at the price they were most recently selling; they depleted the existing stock; and have not had a new production run for nearly a year. A company that is trying to regain its financial footing can not play Google and sell products at an outright loss. There isn't a stockholder around who will appreciate that there is any logic behind saying we moved a lot of units if that cut even further into the company's cash reserves. Even if it had been successful, it is past end of life for a tech product, and it costs RIM money for each one it sells. Very simple and very logical business decision on the part of RIM - don't throw money at something if it costs you more to make it than sell.
    I think you are correct. The stock is gone; until BB10 comes out BB can't sell a tablet at a profit. I'm afraid it's the Betamax of our time
    10-29-12 09:46 PM
    From a marketing standpoint it makes more sense for RIM to concentrate on getting the launch of BB10 handsets right. All the pre-Christmas hype would have gone to Microsoft and Apple anyway, so wait until the doldrums of February to make a bigger splash in a still pond. Here's another thought, if you want to have enterprise and governments upgrade to BB10, you can't just drop it on them at the last minute. Many enterprise and government clients also have a financial year end of Mar. 30. So if new year budgets are being fine tuned in Jan-Feb, and enterprise has already been testing the product, and getting the support servers updated, Q1 2013 is achievable where Q4 2012 wasn't.
    10-29-12 10:41 PM
    With all those speculative reasonings, I agree with two things i.e. either RIM don't have "inventory" of PB to sell on, or they are not making profit out of it... with these two conditions, every management will ask "why to sell?"...
    10-29-12 11:10 PM
    Yeah... I bet you'll try to tell us that the TouchPad at $99 didn't sell as well...

Units are selling. Let's face it, it was too expensive in comparison when it came out, but the price slash was all it needed to sell.
    Even Yugos sold when the price was reduced, but selling products at a loss without another income stream (ie, Google selling what you do and where you are to their partners) isn't a wise way to run a company.

its not selling cuz its a complicated unfamiliar os the the average . the average person just wants a atblet for music and games...hence the feqson ios has been successful. its proof. u have to have a few braincells to under stand RIM aka "research in motion"...and that's alllll I do, research in motion.
    Swing and a miss. I won't say what I really think out of the fear that you'll jump though the screen and knock the tar out of me.
    10-30-12 05:59 AM
    Thats the problem maybe it needed to be. It was never adopted by the masses, and that is what you need to stay competitive in this market. Just watch the Nexus brand.
    At time of release Research In Motion had approximately 70 million BlackBerry smartphone subscribers whom were the perfect demographic to market the BlackBerry PlayBook. Yet management chose to ignore any focused marketing effort leading up to and following the April 2011 release of their tablet computer. Even if only 1% of BlackBerry smartphone subscribers bought a BlackBerry PlayBook, the sale-to-user would have been a staggering 700 000 units. The enterprise client base was completely ignored with the exception of a misleading "world's first professional-grade tablet" marketing statement. The tablet remains one of the best hardware-wise, although 2GB RAM would have been nice, but until BlackBerry Tablet OS 2.0 the software was weak and the application availability continues to be anaemic. Whether BlackBerry 10 OS on smartphones and tablets is the saviour for the BlackBerry brand is the question upon which the fate of Research In Motion as a mobile platform player hangs ever so precariously. We have provided innumerable ideas to RIM about building a hardware and software ecosystem around their tablet. RIM had an opportunity to be a pioneer in the post-PC world but repeatedly fumbled the ball and staggered down the field like a drunken sailor on shore leave who is chasing a woman of questionable morals, all the while shouting, "I'll change. I'll change. You can believe me this time."
    FF22, JeepBB, Angus_CB and 2 others like this.
    10-30-12 08:09 AM
    Hthey depleted the existing stock; and have not had a new production run for nearly a year. .
    Unless you've seen the productions schedules on the lines, I'd avoid making speculations as though they are fact. If it were true, where did PlayBook LTE come from?

I agree with your points though. Here's more food for thought: RIM is not a retail company. They always sold phones through the carriers and the carriers did all the merchandising. PlayBook was the epitome of a device thrown to retail by a company that had no retail experience and it showed. They stuffed the channel, they didn't have much POP to support the product at launch in stores, they did price cuts without unified marketing etc.

Thorsten has done a good job cleaning up the mess, but I still say he's being extremely cautious now. PlayBook revenues are immaterial to RIM's business in the grand scheme of things. Dumping money into it doesn't make sense if it's going to lose more money.
    10-30-12 08:20 AM
    With all those speculative reasonings, I agree with two things i.e. either RIM don't have "inventory" of PB to sell on, or they are not making profit out of it... with these two conditions, every management will ask "why to sell?"...
    And to add another speculation.
    RIM indeed has some inventory of PB to sell. But they hold it in case for scrape for next gen PlayBook.
    PB sold at discounted price, and also near production cost. They sold most of the inventory, but keep a little amount to scrape whatever they could from it.
    Why I said this? Because if you see BB Dev Alpha A & B, it's basically has the same interior design, but RIM only did some tweak to the front and back case of the phone while also change the CPU and battery.
    I believe the same could also be done with what's left from PB inventory.

Unless you've seen the productions schedules on the lines, I'd avoid making speculations as though they are fact. If it were true, where did PlayBook LTE come from?

I agree with your points though. Here's more food for thought: RIM is not a retail company. They always sold phones through the carriers and the carriers did all the merchandising. PlayBook was the epitome of a device thrown to retail by a company that had no retail experience and it showed. They stuffed the channel, they didn't have much POP to support the product at launch in stores, they did price cuts without unified marketing etc.

Thorsten has done a good job cleaning up the mess, but I still say he's being extremely cautious now. PlayBook revenues are immaterial to RIM's business in the grand scheme of things. Dumping money into it doesn't make sense if it's going to lose more money.
    PB with LTE and even WiMax have been introduced for quite some time. While RIM (and Sprint) cancelled the WiMax version, the LTE still needed to see the light.
    Why? Perhaps PB with LTE already been produced for one or two batch at the manufacture site.
    Besides, RIM could get a huge input or user based experience from the device.
    So yes, I basically said that whoever buy PB with LTE will benefit RIM greatly towards producing and perfecting BB10 with LTE.
    10-30-12 12:12 PM
    There are plenty of Playbooks in stock at the local Best Buy stores around here. I bought 64 gb for me and 16 gb for my wife, and 16 gb for my grandson.

Blackberry Playbook: Blackberry Tablets - Best Buy Canada

They are also selling the new 32 gb Nexus 7.

https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=9GxNWk_5
    10-30-12 12:13 PM
    and why have that got the root files sooo secure... damn.. no one has had any lucky yet rooting the os 2.1.0.1032 and 1088. that means, big secrets are locked within the system, and rim has not yet activated or given anyone to use these new features... like...usb otg... for one. usb is so locked up, I can't even connect it to my desktop to make backup files.

the playbook is considered a LAN network in its self... and can only be accesed via unix or qnx4. dingleberry won't work..

uuygh.. I hate the waiting game lol
    but... first quarter 2013 rim is planning to launch bb10 os for playbook, and I'm so curiousnas to how they will make over the user interface for the bb10 for playbook....its willl beeee awessooome
    no, they pulled em...
    yeah. just tons of em if u search "playbook as is". I just bought one , 16gb wifi, for 70 bucks... the usb port is broken...but we have a rapid charger so we can still charge it... its werkin beautifully!
    hence, the pull, to save money for making the new phones...they have better success with bb10..I can not wait
    the at&t playbook bridge...now THAT... is awesome... imnsure you've heard of it
    were the guinea pigs....this is the first rim device with a qnx based os.... the 2nd...bb10. were all finding the problems so they can understand and fix qnx issues. I think rim knows exactly what they are doing, playing smart.... the blacksheep maybe be laughed at now... but after the blacksheeps has its wool sheared, that black wool will be the smoothest anyones ever held in their hand. hahah
    *sings*
    "blame canada......!!!"
    but..I love underbdog stories and rise to triumph. I believe!!!
    well going by the timeline picture that's circulated. the blackforrest is gonna launch in summer 2013, if all goes to plan
    but u can buy blackberry jam on the side of the road, lol
    its not selling cuz its a complicated unfamiliar os the the average . the average person just wants a atblet for music and games...hence the feqson ios has been successful. its proof. u have to have a few braincells to under stand RIM aka "research in motion"...and that's alllll I do, research in motion.
    Blackjack? Is that you? And did you come out the closet? I'm not judging but if it's you, glad to have you back
    10-30-12 12:39 PM
    Blackjack? Is that you? And did you come out the closet? I'm not judging but if it's you, glad to have you back
    OMG! THE Blackjack??
    Glad to have him back if it's true
    theegoldenone likes this.
    10-30-12 01:29 PM
    This thread is so full of speculation and fail...
    10-30-12 03:08 PM
    During the fire sale last year the PB was sold out everywhere around me, here in the States. I ended up having to go to the RIM website to order it instead of waiting for them to restock (which they all did). That might still be an option.
    10-30-12 03:12 PM
    simply because RIM do not want to loose money in this festive season
    10-30-12 03:22 PM
    OMG! THE Blackjack??
    Glad to have him back if it's true
    I miss Blackjack too.

I don't believe we ever agreed on, well anything!, but the man certainly had passion.
    10-30-12 03:46 PM
    I miss Blackjack too.

I don't believe we ever agreed on, well anything!, but the man certainly had passion.
    LMAO I really don't think that is blackjack and yep he's a good guy and passionate for sure. He's fine and still around, not on here though..................that I know of.
    10-30-12 03:53 PM
    huh? lol who is blackjack? I don't know if I should be offended or flattered. lol
    10-30-12 05:04 PM
    no I assure u I'm all female... why would u assume I was , some guy named blackjack? what did I say? lol
    10-30-12 05:09 PM
    I miss Blackjack too.

I think he and I agreed once or twice!

I never did know what got him permanently banned. Shoots-scores went about the same time.
    10-30-12 06:47 PM
    huh? lol who is blackjack? I don't know if I should be offended or flattered. lol
    If you check the Sticky at the top for newbies, he compiled it from all sorts of stuff we posted to help folks out. His passion was legendary to say the least. Never flinched.
    10-30-12 06:50 PM
    I think he and I agreed once or twice!

I never did know what got him permanently banned. Shoots-scores went about the same time.
    Oh there is another name shoots scores now he did get annoying but was a good guy too but come on flash flash flash flash flash
    10-30-12 06:52 PM
    no I assure u I'm all female... why would u assume I was , some guy named blackjack? what did I say? lol
    Be flattered. He's an old member of Crackberry. Really good guy, whether you agreed with him or not. He took pride in Blackberry to a level that has yet to be matched. I only jokingly assumed you were him because he was good for debating EVERYONE that even remotely said anything to "bash" Blackberry.

Sorry for the confusion. Didn't mean any harm
    10-30-12 08:26 PM
    Totally agree, except for one MINOR point (im just splitting hairs). I think Google doesn't sell at an outright loss, but rather 0 profit, if I can remember correctly...This is also true of amazon.
    10-30-12 08:39 PM
    Playbook was never $99 in the U.S. Not even close.
    It was in Canada....118 for the 32gb....big time loss.
    10-31-12 03:10 AM
80 1234