"You can't sell apples from an empty cart"
    Actually, Apple can.
    They often sell pre-order items that aren't in stock yet.
    DC506 and mikeo007 like this.
    10-29-12 04:46 PM
    and why have that got the root files sooo secure... damn.. no one has had any lucky yet rooting the os 2.1.0.1032 and 1088. that means, big secrets are locked within the system, and rim has not yet activated or given anyone to use these new features... like...usb otg... for one. usb is so locked up, I can't even connect it to my desktop to make backup files.

the playbook is considered a LAN network in its self... and can only be accesed via unix or qnx4. dingleberry won't work..

uuygh.. I hate the waiting game lol
    Mr.Willie likes this.
    10-29-12 04:51 PM
    but... first quarter 2013 rim is planning to launch bb10 os for playbook, and I'm so curiousnas to how they will make over the user interface for the bb10 for playbook....its willl beeee awessooome
    10-29-12 04:53 PM
    I believe the correct terms is not 'pulled', but out of stock.
    Most sites claims that RIM pulled PB from stores, but CB already did a post that PB is actually sold out in most stores.
    Read BlackBerry PlayBook out of stock at major retailers | CrackBerry.com
    versus RIM's PlayBook tablet pulled from US online stores - Computerworld
    no, they pulled em...
    10-29-12 04:54 PM
    They shipped them all to Canada !

bottom half Pg. 7 ! Best Buy

Will chk a outlet tomorrow to see if they actually have instock ...
    10-29-12 04:54 PM
    but... first quarter 2013 rim is planning to launch bb10 os for playbook
    You sure about that? I've heard them say it's coming, but not when.
    10-29-12 04:55 PM
    eBay? There are some new listed under $200. PlayBook are going to get BB10 free next year so you can save some money and get a good tablet that compliments your phone. The blackberry waiting game hasn't been fun but I appreciate this device more and more with each update. It's been a valuable asset when doing sales sheets, documents and nowadays for my school work. Although if your interested in Surface and your used to Windows OS, you will find getting used to it easier but I'm sure your wallet will be hurting something bad when you get everything you need on it.
    yeah. just tons of em if u search "playbook as is". I just bought one , 16gb wifi, for 70 bucks... the usb port is broken...but we have a rapid charger so we can still charge it... its werkin beautifully!
    10-29-12 04:57 PM
    At the prices people are willing to buy the PlayBook at, RIM is surely losing money on each sale. All restocking will do is make them lose money faster.
    hence, the pull, to save money for making the new phones...they have better success with bb10..I can not wait
    10-29-12 04:58 PM
    To begin with as an employee of one of the big box retailers, the playbook was recalled! Best buy wss one of the only retailers that had them in store and here in new york, you couldn't find a salesperson that would not tell you that "you needed" to hsve a blackberry phone to go with it or they made sure to steer you toward the ipad and android tablets. Sears still has them yet theprices are still sky damned high for no reason. The playbook was bastardized by the carriers when consumers learned that you could not use your phone's data plan to surf the web. With that bit of info, intrest was dead on arrival!
    the at&t playbook bridge...now THAT... is awesome... imnsure you've heard of it
    10-29-12 05:02 PM
    Actually, Apple can.
    They often sell pre-order items that aren't in stock yet.
    Bad produce choice on my part I guess. .....You can't sell (Black) berries from an empty cart.
    Last edited by DC506; 10-29-12 at 07:37 PM.
    Angus_CB likes this.
    10-29-12 05:05 PM
    I don't know seems pretty stupid to me. Why you wouldn't market a tablet that will be $99 probably before Xmas is dumb.
    I guess it makes sense to somebody somewhere.
    were the guinea pigs....this is the first rim device with a qnx based os.... the 2nd...bb10. were all finding the problems so they can understand and fix qnx issues. I think rim knows exactly what they are doing, playing smart.... the blacksheep maybe be laughed at now... but after the blacksheeps has its wool sheared, that black wool will be the smoothest anyones ever held in their hand. hahah
    10-29-12 05:07 PM

Best Buy still had stock on the weekend in Halifax (Bayers Lake) Nova Scotia, Canada,
    10-29-12 05:08 PM

*sings*
    "blame canada......!!!"
    10-29-12 05:08 PM
    Many posters here are saying that playbook is sold at a loss. I don't think so. In financial terms not making any profit is a loss but, in math terms its neither a gain nor a loss. The PlayBook at $200 was not sold below its production cost; there was still a very low profit margin. Its original price was competitive with brand name tablets because, 18 months ago, BB was a strong tech brand and could easily sell at higher prices. RIM made the mistake of rushing the unfinished product which cost them good public standing. That, paired with the "run for the hills" media, meant slower sales on all BB products. Playbook did not sell at a loss. Blackberry is selling them at a lower price knowing they will not make the same astronomical profit their investors were hoping for. Their only real gain from it is to make sure Playbook is out there for the public to see its true potential. Even though it has taken them some time. Media scrutiny over the playbook launch really exacerbated the damage caused by RIM's initial mistake. Probably why so many people have already written them off. I think at the current price you are really seeing the last of them sell out. And that isn't surprising; it's a good tablet.
    but..I love underbdog stories and rise to triumph. I believe!!!
    eddy_berry likes this.
    10-29-12 05:10 PM
    You sure about that? I've heard them say it's coming, but not when.
    well going by the timeline picture that's circulated. the blackforrest is gonna launch in summer 2013, if all goes to plan
    10-29-12 05:11 PM
    Bad produce choice not my part I guess. .....You can't sell (Black) berries from an empty cart.
    but u can buy blackberry jam on the side of the road, lol
    10-29-12 05:13 PM
    I'm sure they're not in stock, but there are plenty of used ones on Craigslist/Ebay not to mention Amazon so you can definitely find them. I'm looking to get my dad one to pair nicely with his old curve 8530.
    10-29-12 06:26 PM
    Many posters here are saying that playbook is sold at a loss. I don't think so. In financial terms not making any profit is a loss but, in math terms its neither a gain nor a loss. The PlayBook at $200 was not sold below its production cost; there was still a very low profit margin. Its original price was competitive with brand name tablets because, 18 months ago, BB was a strong tech brand and could easily sell at higher prices. RIM made the mistake of rushing the unfinished product which cost them good public standing. That, paired with the "run for the hills" media, meant slower sales on all BB products. Playbook did not sell at a loss. Blackberry is selling them at a lower price knowing they will not make the same astronomical profit their investors were hoping for. Their only real gain from it is to make sure Playbook is out there for the public to see its true potential. Even though it has taken them some time. Media scrutiny over the playbook launch really exacerbated the damage caused by RIM's initial mistake. Probably why so many people have already written them off. I think at the current price you are really seeing the last of them sell out. And that isn't surprising; it's a good tablet.
    Manufacturing cost is not the only factor. You have to recoup the R+D costs, and keep paying for the ongoing work for it. Also, 3rd party retailers bought the first batches at a much higher price than they ended up selling them for, so all your Best Buy, RadioShack, Walmart, etc lost a crapton on them. I know I was never happy to have someone come in and ask for one when it was no gain at all for my store. As the price normalized, the loss wasn't as bad, but still basically even.
    richardat likes this.
    10-29-12 06:54 PM
    Some Office Depot stores (at least in the Denver area) still have Playbooks in stock. Cut and paste the link to determine if they are in stock in your region.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/727467/BlackBerry-PlayBook-Tablet-64GB-Black/?Channel=Google&mr:trackingCode=1892675F-316C-E011-9898-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:filter=2022436007 6&mr:keyword={keyword}&mr:ad=22395426956&cm_mmc=Me rcent-_-Googlepla-_-Technology+Computers_Servers-_-727467&mr:match={matchtype}&mr:adType=pla
    10-29-12 07:39 PM
    Yeah... I bet you'll try to tell us that the TouchPad at $99 didn't sell as well...

Units are selling. Let's face it, it was too expensive in comparison when it came out, but the price slash was all it needed to sell.
    Playbook was never $99 in the U.S. Not even close.
    10-29-12 08:18 PM
    I can tell you why because it's not selling, don't believe the hype it's out of stock as if they sold a bunch in the first place most stores only had about 5 playbook shipped at a time. Anyhow I just left out of OfficeDepot and they had the 64gb for 189.00, how sad is this most tablets you get 8,16 gb for this price. I own a 16gb playbook and let me tell you I could not sell mine for 60$ on ebay. I hope this answers your question.
    10-29-12 08:40 PM
    Playbook was never $99 in the U.S. Not even close.
    Thats the problem maybe it needed to be. It was never adopted by the masses, and that is what you need to stay competitive in this market. Just watch the Nexus brand.
    10-29-12 08:49 PM
    Manufacturing cost is not the only factor. You have to recoup the R+D costs, and keep paying for the ongoing work for it. Also, 3rd party retailers bought the first batches at a much higher price than they ended up selling them for, so all your Best Buy, RadioShack, Walmart, etc lost a crapton on them. I know I was never happy to have someone come in and ask for one when it was no gain at all for my store. As the price normalized, the loss wasn't as bad, but still basically even.
    I understand that retailers did take a hit. I once worked in retail too. My point was RIM didn't necessarily. And your point about R&D costs? The PlayBook being in the hands of everyday users is R&D. That is what is helping develop BB10 faster and make it better. And towards BB10 is where the cash is flowing so the only ongoing work for the playbook is once again helping RIM to rebound with BB10. Also the original R&D would be calculated into the manufacturing cost which wouldn't have been much considering what OS1.0 was. Sorry to hear PlayBook didn't make your store any money but at the time this was a necessary business decision.
    10-29-12 09:00 PM
    Ya know not to add fuel to the fire but I bought my 16 gb pb from the blackberry Site for $179 us in Sept. Because no tax which in my neck of the woods is 10 per cent. So I was going to suggest that. But searching BlackBerry Site on this and all they let you see is the 4Glite model. So maybe WIFI units aren't available even through RIM! And I'm sorry about the typing but this is the devil to type on. Space bar to be tapped twice very poor experience. I prefer my 9850 for many reasons.
    10-29-12 09:24 PM
    I can tell you why because it's not selling, don't believe the hype it's out of stock as if they sold a bunch in the first place most stores only had about 5 playbook shipped at a time. Anyhow I just left out of OfficeDepot and they had the 64gb for 189.00, how sad is this most tablets you get 8,16 gb for this price. I own a 16gb playbook and let me tell you I could not sell mine for 60$ on ebay. I hope this answers your question.
    its not selling cuz its a complicated unfamiliar os the the average . the average person just wants a atblet for music and games...hence the feqson ios has been successful. its proof. u have to have a few braincells to under stand RIM aka "research in motion"...and that's alllll I do, research in motion.
    10-29-12 09:27 PM
80 1234