My idea is why Tablets dont become like PCs, you can install on it any OS you like, imagine if that's possible, QNX funs can install it, and Android funs can too, and Windows funs can install their favourite OS, why Tablets can be free Dos and we will be more free to install what we want and try every OS to find the more likely for us
    Well then you can buy a bunch of different tablets, because not a single tablet out there will allow you to install another OS outside of the manufactures OS that was intended to be there. You can't buy an iPad and put the QNX PlayBook OS on it, you can't buy an Android tablet and put iOS on it, you can't buy a PlayBook and put windows 8 on it. It just DOES NOT WORK LIKE THAT

You want a tablet, buy a tablet, FreeDOS is not available to use any tablet... so while I can kind of see what you are saying, in regards that you think that a tablet is like a PC, and can install FreeDOS, Windows 8, Mac, and a Linux distro, tablets DO NOT WORK LIKE THAT.

Mods can we please close this thread?
    eddy_berry likes this.
    01-25-13 08:24 AM
    The high quality of security is why RIM doesn't unlock the kernel. I buy bb products for the security features as well as the company I work for. If the pb is not what you want, sell it on ebay or whatever. But RIM has a reputation for security and that is a huge plus for them. Ios and android can't compete.
    01-25-13 08:49 AM
    I bought these no name windows cheap. Why can't I get them replaced with Pella windows that are better for nothing?
    01-25-13 09:13 AM
    The QNK OS is one of RIM's crown jewels. Opening the kernal would be like cutting off their crown jewels.
    01-25-13 09:42 AM
    Because what???

I mean that when i buy a tablet i dont like to be limited with it's OS, i want to have a free Dos and install on it what i find the better OS
    That type of tablet does not exist. All tablets are limited to the OS they were built to use. The HP tablet is an exception that came about because of necessity.
    Microsoft is not going to write hardware drivers for every possible combination of tablet that is on the market. So even if RIM made it possible for you to install another OS chances are it would not work correctly with the existing Playbook hardware.
    01-25-13 11:19 AM
    When we bought a tablet we agree with its OS on that date, but it must be updated with new features and new options, i think all versions of playbook OS looks the same. We must have a new generation of OS
    I "must have" the new generation of Ford's engines, but unfortunately Chevy REFUSES to put one in my Tahoe for me!

Wondering how it is that buyers now define the terms of what a manufacturer must do - - - IN THE FUTURE!

Vote with your money - go get a WinTab, they have detachable keyboards that make music when part of a flash mob! I'll make an offer if your PlayBook is a 64gb . . .
    01-25-13 11:28 AM
    Well then you can buy a bunch of different tablets, because not a single tablet out there will allow you to install another OS outside of the manufactures OS that was intended to be there. You can't buy an iPad and put the QNX PlayBook OS on it, you can't buy an Android tablet and put iOS on it, you can't buy a PlayBook and put windows 8 on it. It just DOES NOT WORK LIKE THAT

You want a tablet, buy a tablet, FreeDOS is not available to use any tablet... so while I can kind of see what you are saying, in regards that you think that a tablet is like a PC, and can install FreeDOS, Windows 8, Mac, and a Linux distro, tablets DO NOT WORK LIKE THAT.

Mods can we please close this thread?
    *cough* HP TouchPad *cough*

01-25-13 11:30 AM
    To the OP... Why did you not simply research your purchase????? You would have found that RIM has a locked boot loader... this is what prevents you from installing other OS..... if you look at Android, what allows Cyanmodgen to hack a new OS is the bootloader not the kernal... as the Playbook is totally locked down the OP is whistling in the wind...

Just a note to those who claim they "never agreed to TOS" you did as you have to agree to it to get your PB going out of the box......

FInally just from a legal standpoint any WIndows 8 would have to be RT to rum on a Playbook....which cannot be currently purchased in license form....hence you want to install pirated software on your Playbook as neither MS RIM IOS is open source like Android,,,, good luck with that... as google cannot sue you Microsoft certaily can and you should not put it past them....

As I end all these responses to these kind of threads.... If win 8 or Android is so important....why not just by one?????
    diegonei likes this.
    01-25-13 11:35 AM
    When i bought the PB there wasn't Windows 8 Tablet, but i like my PB and dont like it's OS
    You would be what is known as an extreme edge case. :-) There are lots of people who want security but not so many that want to stick an unintended OS on hardware in comparison
    01-25-13 11:40 AM
    Just a note to those who claim they "never agreed to TOS" you did as you have to agree to it to get your PB going out of the box......
    Take a course in contract law. Just because you click "agree" doesn't necessarily make the "agreement" enforceable.
    01-25-13 01:25 PM
    *cough* HP TouchPad *cough*

lol Web OS
    01-25-13 01:53 PM
    FInally just from a legal standpoint any WIndows 8 would have to be RT to rum on a Playbook....which cannot be currently purchased in license form....hence you want to install pirated software on your Playbook as neither MS RIM IOS is open source like Android,,,, good luck with that... as google cannot sue you Microsoft certaily can and you should not put it past them....
    Yup, that's the main point that the OP missed.

The only Windows version that can run on ARM chipset is Windows RT --- and you cannot buy Windows RT separately. Windows RT is only available pre-installed on ARM-based Windows RT tablets.
    01-25-13 02:00 PM
    Hi OP. The PlayBook runs MS-DOS quite well so you may wish to look into the DOSBox emulator on App World. PlayBook also emulates PlaystationOne, GBA, NES, SNES and other early gaming systems as well. The TI calculator emulation is quite excellent. From the big players iOS, Windows, BB you CAN NOT buy a mobile OS licence without buying the hardware. You should get a NetBook.
    01-25-13 02:05 PM
    The unlocked tablet is the HP Touchpad which has an active group trying to install about everything on it. If you want to have fun maybe you should get one of these to occupy your spare time. Of course it does not have an Intel processor or enough computer horsepower to run a desktop version of Windows.
    01-25-13 02:18 PM
    If you want a hacker toy get an Android tablet and enjoy the crapware bloated app catalog and all the tracking spyware that comes with an "open" kernel. Also enjoy being an unpaid Google ad revenue $$ generator.

As to quality apps, really like what, name them and claim them if you can.

As to having a tablet that can securely participate in a corporate network,there is no other than the PlayBook.

Follow this link and download the pdf files and read about the tablet you bought: BlackBerry PlayBook Security - Manuals and Guides
    01-25-13 02:35 PM
    Take a course in contract law. Just because you click "agree" doesn't necessarily make the "agreement" enforceable.
    Actually agreeing does make it enforceable IN MOST CASES THEY DO NOT....seen a number of companies sued by Microsoft for tos violation... Namely Using a single license on multiple computers. Can and does happen.... Moot point anyways as win 8 rt. Would probably not run stock anyways....
    01-25-13 04:07 PM
    Actually agreeing does make it enforceable IN MOST CASES THEY DO NOT....seen a number of companies sued by Microsoft for tos violation... Namely Using a single license on multiple computers. Can and does happen.... Moot point anyways as win 8 rt. Would probably not run stock anyways....
    Microsoft puts you on notice of that limitation BEFORE you make a purchase of their OS and gives you a means to get a refund if you don't like their terms. From a Windows XP box. Show me something similar on the PB packaging.
    Attached Thumbnails Why RIM doesnt unlock the PB Kernel-img_20121010.jpg  
    01-25-13 08:39 PM
    There are many HP Touchpads on Ebay rooted with Android for sale. I personally am happy that the playbook is secure and you cannot tamper with the OS.
    01-25-13 09:43 PM
    The Playbook is a bargain of a tablet, discounted cost and with top hardware still running fine after 2 years. RIM is keeping it locked so that we may use and invest in the Playbook OS and Blackberry ecosystem.

Now how would it be if people bought Playbooks for cheap and converted them to Android or Windows so they could run competing OS app ecosystems? You would be screwing RIM over twice... Once by getting hardware from RIM which they are probably losing money on, and Twice by erasing their OS and investing into another OS and other app ecosystem so RIM never gets a dime.

The Playbook is also about security. If you could root it to install another OS, you could also root it to hack into the existing files and bypass all the security. There is no way RIM would allow access so you can just bulldoze over all their security and erase Blackberry's OS right off the tablet!

Just think about how you save lots of money buying a Playbook for cheap, you'll have lots of money left over to buy apps and help support the ecosystem and keep improving the Playbook.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    01-25-13 10:18 PM
    I dont know why RIM locked the kernel of PB and why developers didnt broken it yet, i'm dreaming to install Windows 8 on my playbook.
    I think if i am a PB owner i am free to install on it any OS compatible with it.

You think this will be possible in future?
    No way no time. If you want some hardware to play around with go to android.
    01-26-13 12:43 AM
    I dont know why RIM locked the kernel of PB and why developers didnt broken it yet, i'm dreaming to install Windows 8 on my playbook.
    I think if i am a PB owner i am free to install on it any OS compatible with it.

You think this will be possible in future?
    Do you have a sticky note with your computers password on your monitor (serious question)?
    01-26-13 12:52 AM
    When I dream about putting Windows 8 on my computer it's a nightmare. What is it that you want? The Metro look?
    01-26-13 01:09 AM
    Just wait bb10 upgrade!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-26-13 03:10 AM
    Because what???

I mean that when i buy a tablet i dont like to be limited with it's OS, i want to have a free Dos and install on it what i find the better OS
    you are nuts bro
    01-26-13 10:11 PM
    And BB10 will be coming to the Playbook.

When you agree to the terms of use it's not just for that date. If you actually read the terms it's quite clear about the fact that it's not a single date that is included in the agreement.

I'm not sure how you can prefer Windows 8 to the QNX OS on the Playbook, but to each their own.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You're not sure why someone can prefer the dominant desktop OS over QNX? The software that is available for Window's might have something to do with it!

Si.
    01-26-13 10:43 PM
56 123