I would also think RIM should invest in their own apps. No twitter, travel, social feeds, maps, etc. Why would a dev make apps for a platform who's own company won't design for?
    That, and the quality of apps. Just like the phones, when a dev from IOS or Android makes their app for playbook/blackberry, it's a feature reduced and usually uglier version. Eg, evernote, an awesome android app, solid ipad app, and feature reduced playbook app. Other apps I've tried as well have a courtesy app for us, and develop awesome versions elsewhere. RIM needs to get the quality of existing apps up, and produce their own apps to show the potential of the platform to would-be developers. Lead by example RIM?
    Excellent point. Add the stock playbook podcast app to that list of poorly designed apps as well. A great starting point would be to address all of those apps.

But, an even more important issue.... Improve the App World!
    Last edited by torndownunit; 08-06-12 at 01:01 AM.
    08-06-12 12:52 AM
    imagine if playbook has Pocket/Read it Later..
    08-06-12 01:10 AM
    I love it when people say that theyve been contacting RIM and since they dont respond it must be true. Unreal!!!

They are not responding to you because they dont respond to everyone. Even the most accessible RIM employees that Crackberry interview on this website dont respond to every Tom and Harry that gives them a theory.

I know a few folks who work at RIM and thats one of the things they are told...dont respond to "theories" and just do your job.

Some people here make me chuckle and even with all the anti RIM-jobs posting here that make visiting these forums unbearable...its those chuckles which keep me coming back.
    08-06-12 08:12 AM
    Forget the technical reasons, from a marketing pov it makes sense to now hold back apps until BB10 phones arrive.
    I agree.

It would be nice to know what's coming, and it would build up a massive amount of excitement for the launch of BB10, but RIM need to tread a fine line as they can't afford to make promises they can't fulfil.

It's a gamble, but if BB10 totally rocks and makes iOS look so 2007, then RIM could rise like a phoenix from the ashes (here's hoping).
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    08-06-12 08:44 AM
    By that logic, Skype would only be available on WP7 and kindle only on the fire - except that ha not happened.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    I didn't say that, I said that people are bringing up old old information as evidence.

I may as well bring up old press releases of Corel for saying that they are going to wipe Microsoft Office off the map with WordPerfect. Or the year 2000 being the year of linux as wiping Microsoft Windows off the map.

RIM isn't even being headed by the dynamic duo anymore and you people are dragging old stuff from that previous regime.
    08-06-12 04:42 PM
    As others have noted quite often - it will happen when rim gets around to it and that is probably not for at least another 5 or 6 months. Rim has said, bb10 for phones and then the pb. Sorry but that's just the way it may be. And there's that big IF - if rim gets it out for the phones. And even then, no one knows what "BIG" apps will be there - only hopeful speculations.
    I am looking forward to BB10 being released but it sure as heck will not be a day one purchase for me. I will be waiting well after the launch to see just what type of support from developers RIM has actually secured.

Although I enjoy my Playbook, it has taught me a valuable lesson: never, ever, purchase a RIM device at launch with the expectation that promises made about the device or by developers promising support will actually come to pass. I am much more cautious as to purchasing Blackberry products now. And the days of purchasing something on speculation of what's coming soon are long over. RIM has much to prove with BB10 and while I am glad that they are reaching out to developers and, by all accounts, developers have been reaching out to RIM, I remain skeptical as to whether the device will be supported when launched.
    FF22, JeepBB, trsbbs and 2 others like this.
    08-06-12 06:22 PM
    I am looking forward to BB10 being released but it sure as heck will not be a day one purchase for me. I will be waiting well after the launch to see just what type of support from developers RIM has actually secured.

Although I enjoy my Playbook, it has taught me a valuable lesson: never, ever, purchase a RIM device at launch with the expectation that promises made about the device or by developers promising support will actually come to pass. I am much more cautious as to purchasing Blackberry products now. And the days of purchasing something on speculation of what's coming soon are long over. RIM has much to prove with BB10 and while I am glad that they are reaching out to developers and, by all accounts, developers have been reaching out to RIM, I remain skeptical as to whether the device will be supported when launched.
    I agree but since I upgraded to the 9930 in March, I won't be getting a new bbphone anytime soon and if Verizon demands a pound of flesh and a LIMITED data plan for discount pricing, I won't be UPGRADING at all. It's not that I use that much data but it's the whole idea - sucker folks into all of these super phones with tons of data sucking apps and then determine "we don't have the bandwidth to support you folks" so you will have to settle for semi-smart phones with data like power in third world countries - you can't have data during the hours between x-z!
    08-06-12 09:01 PM
    Is there an existing list of big apps coming for sure to the BB10?
    09-04-12 06:27 AM
    No there is not. No one knows anything about anything at all.
    09-04-12 11:12 AM
    Someone said above that there was a marketing play here and was quickly shot down, but I want to agree on that point..

There are a few lessons RIM has learned, one being keep your secrets and make very little promises. We've seen a few leaks but nothing compared to what we're used to and no statements have been made in regards to apps that will be available in the future. IMO this is a good thing.

In regards to releasing high profile apps now.. I don't know if the current version of the PBOS would run them or not, that isn't my area of expertise but regardless RIM is smart to save them for the BB10 launch. RIM as we all know is banking on this launch being a turning point for the company.. that means come with all the flash, bang and good press you can muster. A big part of that is going to be "Blackberry 10, now with Skype, Netflix, Instagram.. whatever" (I am not saying any of those specific apps are coming or that they are on my desired list for that matter just giving examples.. god I hate Instagram) But RIM needs all that "news" at the launch of BB10 to say "look as us now" Assuming any of the apps in question were available now, they would launch with very limited fanfare.. current owners would be happy, but few new playbooks would be purchased.. the media would barely acknowledge it.. RIM products are and will continue to be painted as dead. So that is an opportunity lost.. and then when BB10 launches.. what's the press release.. "Yay BB10.. now with.. well with all the stuff we had on 2.0 actually.. but umm... Now with umm...flow!" Not exactly leading the news real. No. RIM needs to bundle BB10, along with any major apps they've been able to convince developers to conjure and market it all together as the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    09-04-12 02:02 PM
    do apps in BB World get updated frequently, if at all???
    02-05-13 12:14 AM
    It already is. PBOS apps/games can play on the Dev Alpha which is running BB10
    BlackBerry hasn't released the necessary tools for developers to update their PlayBook apps to BB10 yet. One of the reasons why we don't see BB10 on the PlayBook yet. They're different versions of QNX. If PlayBooks were updated to BB10 right now we would be missing PlayBook apps and just would have BB10 apps (which isn't a bad thing.)
    02-06-13 12:16 AM
    BlackBerry hasn't released the necessary tools for developers to update their PlayBook apps to BB10 yet. One of the reasons why we don't see BB10 on the PlayBook yet. They're different versions of QNX. If PlayBooks were updated to BB10 right now we would be missing PlayBook apps and just would have BB10 apps (which isn't a bad thing.)
    I read that BlackBerry was doing that themselves and should already be done.
    02-06-13 05:19 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD