I have been reaching out for answers from many a RIM person and everyone is remaining silent which is making me think my thought processes below are correct.

It is my belief, unless there are changes to the fundamental capabilities of the PBOS before BB10, the Playbook will not get any new mid-big name "apps" before BB10 is on the Playbook in Q1 2013.

At this point, with all the BB10 Jam Sessions, most developers who are programming apps for Blackberry, are programming for BB10 with the Cascades SDK. This applies to "apps" and not games. Games by and large will not take use of Cascades SDK.

As I understand it, and please someone correct me if I am wrong, the current PBOS does not support apps built with the BB10 Cascades SDK.

What does this mean? Well, all the magical apps we are waiting for (skype, netflix,MSN etc etc), if they are actually being developed for Blackberry, are now most likely being developed on Cascades. Which means, unless the PBOS gets the ability to run a BB10 Cascades app, the Playbook will not be getting any new mid-big name apps until Q1 2013 when BB10 comes to the Playbook

Is this depressing for Playbook owners? Yes. Which is why RIM is likely not outright acknowledging this fact.

Can anyone offer any other insights into this?
    08-03-12 08:15 AM
    I think you're right and part of the delay is giving devs more time to do it and polish.
    08-03-12 08:20 AM
    if they are actually being developed for Blackberry
    That's a big if. I'll believe it only when I see it.
    08-03-12 08:25 AM
    I find it encouraging, not depressing. If these so-called big name apps aren't coming until BB10 is on the PlayBook, at least we know there's a good chance they're coming. Otherwise, the only prospect was that PlayBook and Tablet OS would just wither on the vine. The future is bright, with more potential and possibilities than we've seen so far. That's nothing to be depressed about.
    08-03-12 08:32 AM
    Will BB10 be backward compatible with apps developed for PBOS 2? Meaning, when the current OS is on the PB is replaced with BB10, will we still be able to use all the apps we now have?
    08-03-12 08:34 AM
    I find it encouraging, not depressing. If these so-called big name apps aren't coming until BB10 is on the PlayBook, at least we know there's a good chance they're coming. Otherwise, the only prospect was that PlayBook and Tablet OS would just wither on the vine. The future is bright, with more potential and possibilities than we've seen so far. That's nothing to be depressed about.
    I didn't mean to suggest that all the big name apps we are missing are coming on BB10, that remains an unknown still. I meant to suggest that IF they are coming, they are being developed on Cascades, which the PBOS doesn't support right now

I do agree that the long term future of the Playbook is looking very good given it will get BB10; however, the next 4-6 months will be painful wait.
    08-03-12 08:35 AM
    Will BB10 be backward compatible with apps developed for PBOS 2? Meaning, when the current OS is on the PB is replaced with BB10, will we still be able to use all the apps we now have?
    It already is. PBOS apps/games can play on the Dev Alpha which is running BB10
    brianatbb likes this.
    08-03-12 08:36 AM
    It already is. PBOS apps/games can play on the Dev Alpha which is running BB10
    It's running a hybrid version in reality that's not really fully PBOS or BB10
    08-03-12 09:05 AM

As I understand it, and please someone correct me if I am wrong, the current PBOS does not support apps built with the BB10 Cascades SDK.
    I believe Pacemaker uses cascades.
    08-03-12 09:11 AM
    I believe Pacemaker uses cascades.
    I think Pacemaker was made with Cascades like Scrapbook was made with Cascades. Its my understanding that PBOS can play Cascades apps, but, requires a lot more effort and programming that the general developer doesn't have access to through the Cascades SDK

Meaning Pacemaker, Scrapbook had RIM/TAT internal help to get it going on PBOS

at least that is what I have read/heard
    08-03-12 09:15 AM
    It's running a hybrid version in reality that's not really fully PBOS or BB10
    from and SDK/API point of view its full BB10. Meaning all apps that can run on the Dev Alpha will run on the final BB10 version.

Thus, if a PBOS app can play on the BB10 Alpha now... it will play on all future BB10 devices
    08-03-12 09:15 AM
    Forget the technical reasons, from a marketing pov it makes sense to now hold back apps until BB10 phones arrive.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    08-03-12 09:18 AM
    Forget the technical reasons, from a marketing pov it makes sense to now hold back apps until BB10 phones arrive.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    that doesn't make sense. If Skype drops today on the PB you can still market it as being available when BB10 phones arrive

I don't think that makes a difference imo

what does make sense is putting your resources into building a cascades app as opposed to a basic native app.
    08-03-12 09:42 AM
    Wll here we go again.... I love the big name apps concept.... If it does not have it then something is wrong with your device..... How about a new a concept... purchase a device for what is does when you look at it... Not what you expect it to have... RIM at no time said the "big apps" were coming to the Playboo... so thiis being the case why do people buy one in the first place.... If the big time apps are "so" must have .... why not cut your losses and get an IPad or Android where you know it is avaiable... this way your not frustrated with the current situation....

As for developing to the Playbook... it looks like the Playbook with be a gaiming platform till BB10 drops.... as it appears games are supposedly ready to run on either platform.....

For me ... my Playbook does what i want... no need for Skype... have it on my computer... and not interested in having to recharge my battery all the time when I use to use it on my IPad.... cuts my battery time in half when using video calling.....

If my device does not do what I want... I get something that does... that is why I purchase my playbook and my Ipad and Touchpad are collecting dust.... If your situation is reversed then the Playbook would be the dust collector....
    escape525 likes this.
    08-03-12 10:01 AM
    Wll here we go again.... I love the big name apps concept.... If it does not have it then something is wrong with your device..... How about a new a concept... purchase a device for what is does when you look at it... Not what you expect it to have... RIM at no time said the "big apps" were coming to the Playboo... so thiis being the case why do people buy one in the first place.... If the big time apps are "so" must have .... why not cut your losses and get an IPad or Android where you know it is avaiable... this way your not frustrated with the current situation....

As for developing to the Playbook... it looks like the Playbook with be a gaiming platform till BB10 drops.... as it appears games are supposedly ready to run on either platform.....

For me ... my Playbook does what i want... no need for Skype... have it on my computer... and not interested in having to recharge my battery all the time when I use to use it on my IPad.... cuts my battery time in half when using video calling.....

If my device does not do what I want... I get something that does... that is why I purchase my playbook and my Ipad and Touchpad are collecting dust.... If your situation is reversed then the Playbook would be the dust collector....
    I started this thread to help provide some answers to those who are still expecting big name apps to drop on the Playbook before BB10, not to complain about the lack of big name apps; however, I am throwing a flag on the field about your statement that RIM never said big name apps were coming to the Playbook.

RIM put up a slide with Skype in Appworld way at the beginning!!! They and Amazon also announced a Kindle app was coming at the beginning. Those 2 apps were basically promised and/or strongly suggested they were arriving. So those who bought a PB from the beginning do have some right to complain about those 2 apps not being there.

Your point is valid for those who are going to buy a Playbook today though as we have much greater clarity about future outlook on the Playbook.
    08-03-12 10:17 AM
    Big name apps?

RIM can't even create a damn twitter app....nor can they even create a proper facebook app.

RIM needs some high end developers not just some internship students to help them build unstable apps.
    Last edited by rupam95; 08-03-12 at 11:20 AM.
    08-03-12 11:16 AM
    Another thing to note is preexisting apps. Ever wonder why Dropbox has an official BlackBerry smartphone app but not one for the PlayBook? (Converted Android version works perfectly fine though)

This is a simple fact of priority. Right now the BlackBerry smartphone is considered a more viable platform as it stands today. With 80 million in use and 150+ million sold over the years its a nice audience.

1.3 million sold? Its a start but no where near the impact BlackBerry phones have. So where does this take us?

BlackBerry 10 is the going to be the latest and greatest OS for BlackBerry soon. Now this is what gives the big name developers the incentive. The BlackBerry smartphone crowd has always been quite strong. It has shown good growth. So what if its not the top smartphone choice? Its good enough that its the second most profitable application storefront and that's what looks good on RIMs part.

So you see, its not really the PlayBook developers were targetting. As a result of the PlayBook and RIMs decision on BlackBerry 10, the PlayBook can be a truly viable player for application development. It also serves as a good testing ground right now.

Let's just say the PlayBook was at the right place at the right time
    08-03-12 12:50 PM
    RIM put up a slide with Skype in Appworld way at the beginning!!! They and Amazon also announced a Kindle app was coming at the beginning. Those 2 apps were basically promised and/or strongly suggested they were arriving. So those who bought a PB from the beginning do have some right to complain about those 2 apps not being there.
    Certain things happened which had nothing to do with RIM --- after the Playbook was launched, Microsoft bought Skype and Amazon launched Kindle Fire.
    08-03-12 01:15 PM
    Certain things happened which had nothing to do with RIM --- after the Playbook was launched, Microsoft bought Skype and Amazon launched Kindle Fire.
    You are being very very generous with giving RIM a pass on the Skype slide fiasco.

You don't think Amazon knew they were making a Kindle Fire? Of course they did.
    08-03-12 03:03 PM
    If only RIM could get whatever apps they wanted on PB. Unfortunately it isn't the case. They're pushing but in the end they can't force someone to make an app.

You could blame RIM for the devs not wanting to do it because of the low PB market share, I suppose.
    08-03-12 03:17 PM
    By that logic, Skype would only be available on WP7 and kindle only on the fire - except that ha not happened.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    08-04-12 06:14 AM
    By that logic, Skype would only be available on WP7 and kindle only on the fire - except that ha not happened.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    But Skype was already on the other platforms. MS acquiring it surely didn't simplify the process or possibility of getting it onto BB or PB.
    08-05-12 09:08 AM
    So to clear things up. Our current playbooks will have to download another big update to start playing and downloading bb10 apps games yes?? And does anyone have an idea as to when this update will be released? Thanks.
    08-05-12 05:41 PM
    So to clear things up. Our current playbooks will have to download another big update to start playing and downloading bb10 apps games yes?? And does anyone have an idea as to when this update will be released? Thanks.
    As others have noted quite often - it will happen when rim gets around to it and that is probably not for at least another 5 or 6 months. Rim has said, bb10 for phones and then the pb. Sorry but that's just the way it may be. And there's that big IF - if rim gets it out for the phones. And even then, no one knows what "BIG" apps will be there - only hopeful speculations.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-05-12 06:46 PM
    I would also think RIM should invest in their own apps. No twitter, travel, social feeds, maps, etc. Why would a dev make apps for a platform who's own company won't design for?
    That, and the quality of apps. Just like the phones, when a dev from IOS or Android makes their app for playbook/blackberry, it's a feature reduced and usually uglier version. Eg, evernote, an awesome android app, solid ipad app, and feature reduced playbook app. Other apps I've tried as well have a courtesy app for us, and develop awesome versions elsewhere. RIM needs to get the quality of existing apps up, and produce their own apps to show the potential of the platform to would-be developers. Lead by example RIM?
    robkd likes this.
    08-05-12 11:44 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD