I imagine lots of practical reasons.

Cost could be one reason. The extra processing for a matte finish, when glass is naturally smooth and glossy isn't free.

A matte finish so far away from the actual panel could possibly cause a blurry image as the matte texture spreads light. The more matte the screen, the blurrier the image.

I also can't imagine a matte glass surface would feel very good to use with touch, especially for long periods of time. Imagine running your finger over very fine sandpaper all day.

Smooth glass is also very easy to clean.
    05-23-11 03:52 PM
    I'm wondering because most business laptops are matte around the screen. The playbook is supposed to be " the first professional grade" tablet. Could they have made the bezel around the screen matte, like the texture on the back, or am I mistaken? Aside from this and the browser bridge, the playbook is pretty sweet.
    Can you link me with that information ?

(your assertion that the playbook is supposed to be matte because it's the first professional grade tablet - RIM sources only)

Thanks. I agree with you on this concept - just not sure where you got this info.
    05-24-11 06:26 AM
    Matte is my favourite style and gives that smooth texture feel. I really love it!
    05-24-11 07:25 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD