Hello everyone,

I am in a consulting business and an owner of Galaxy Tab 10.1, which I have been using for many months now. It's been a love / hate relationship (the hate goes to Samsung for being late on updates). I travel a lot and tethering it to my Android phone helps a lot. It's free as I already have a data plan. I am OK with Android as it meets all my needs, but thought I may try something different (iOS or Playbook OS) for a change.

Long story short, I dropped my Tab and the screen cracked. It's still usable but now I am in the market for a new tablet.

I am lost. It's not the market that we had a few months ago. There are so many compelling offerings. I did some research and was thinking about upgrading to Tab 7.7, Transformer Prime, or Thrive 7, iPad 3 (if it comes soon enough) but came across BlackBerry website that says the Playbook is "the first [and only?] professional-grade tablet designed to meet the needs of the most demanding business users without compromising on performance or security". I don't quite know what this means so I am here asking this question before I buy a replacement for my Tab. I know I'll have to wait a few weeks for the above mentioned tablets to be released but it would be nice to know all my options before I order my next travel companion.

What makes the Playbook a professional-grade tablet?

Thanks.
    Last edited by milangizat; 12-05-11 at 09:50 PM.
    12-05-11 09:43 PM
    You can check this review, the author pondered the same question:

BlackBerry PlayBook Review: The First Professional Grade Tablet | BlackBerry Cool
    milangizat likes this.
    12-05-11 09:51 PM
    It is the first tablet that offers the business edition of hangman.

Seriously, there is nothing that makes the playbook the first professional grade tablet.
    Any tablet could have made itself bridge to a phone for email, calender and contacts. But why?
    In hindsight RIM did this because the couldn't figure out how to have two pims on their network. Not because it was professional in any sense of the word.
    milangizat likes this.
    12-05-11 10:01 PM

Thanks.
    nothing, because its not.
    12-05-11 10:05 PM
    You can check this review, the author pondered the same question:

BlackBerry PlayBook Review: The First Professional Grade Tablet | BlackBerry Cool
    Thank you, BlackStormRising. But I still didn't get it from the article. So I suppose Bridge is analogous to tethering and showcasing is running applications in the background, which other tablets can also do. More or less. There are also tons of Office applications on Android. I myself have ThinkFree Office, Quickoffice Pro HD, and OfficeSuite Pro 5 installed on my Tab. So it is still unclear what is so professional there. Thanks for clarification.
    12-05-11 10:09 PM
    Hello everyone,

I am in a consulting business and an owner of Galaxy Tab 10.1, which I have been using for many months now. It's been a love / hate relationship (the hate goes to Samsung for being late on updates). I travel a lot and tethering it to my Android phone helps a lot. It's free as I already have a data plan. I am OK with Android as it meets all my needs, but thought I may try something different (iOS or Playbook OS) for a change.

Long story short, I dropped my Tab and the screen cracked. It's still usable but now I am in the market for a new tablet.

I am lost. It's not the market that we had a few months ago. There are so many compelling offerings. I did some research and was thinking about upgrading to Tab 7.7, Transformer Prime, or Thrive 7, iPad 3 (if it comes soon enough) but came across BlackBerry website that says the Playbook is "the first [and only?] professional-grade tablet designed to meet the needs of the most demanding business users without compromising on performance or security". I don't quite know what this means so I am here asking this question before I buy a replacement for my Tab. I know I'll have to wait a few weeks for the above mentioned tablets to be released but it would be nice to know all my options before I order my next travel companion.

Thanks.
    Communications are highly secure.

The OS is bullet proof and the construction extremely robust.

Bridging is sweet as BB handsets have excellent radios and antennas.

I used my lap top for the first time in three weeks today.
    milangizat likes this.
    12-05-11 10:14 PM
    Blackberry Bridge offers significant advantages to businesses looking to deploy tablets -- of that there can be no doubt. (You can literally drop a stack of playbooks off at a department and they're ready to go. Sharing them between users or issuing them individually makes no difference; they deploy instantly to business who already have Blackberry phones deployed -- basically every medium/large enterprise.)

RIM's commitment to security, well reflected in the PlayBook, is also another major advantage that no other platform comes close to matching.

QNX is, of course, the most advanced mobile operating system around. It has set the standard at least a generation ahead of iOS and Android. It won't let you down, offering consistent performance. (Why, yes, it DOES run nuclear reactors!)

It also come pre-loaded with all the software the average business user needs to get up and running -- a nice touch.

For the individual business user: If you've got a Blackberry phone, the PlayBook is really the only sensible choice. If you have an Android phone, I'd recommend the new Transformer tablet. Though you'd still do VERY well with the PlayBook, it shines the brightest in tandem with a Blackberry phone.

Why is there so much hostility in this thread?
    12-05-11 10:20 PM
    Communications are highly secure.

The OS is bullet proof and the construction extremely robust.

Bridging is sweet as BB handsets have excellent radios and antennas.

I used my lap top for the first time in three weeks today.
    Thanks shootsscores, but

> Communications are highly secure.

?

> The OS is bullet proof

On the CrackBerry home page there is an article about rooting. Can you explain what's so bullet-proof about the OS?

> the construction extremely robust

No complains about my Tab. It's extremely well built. Although I guess any tablet's screen will crack if you drop it from 4 feet high.

> Bridging is sweet as BB handsets have excellent radios and antennas.

My phone has excellent 4g reception as well.

> I used my lap top for the first time in three weeks today.

Can't say the same. I still prefer editing documents on my laptop.

Anything else, guys?
    12-05-11 10:21 PM
    Thank you, BlackStormRising. But I still didn't get it from the article. So I suppose Bridge is analogous to tethering and showcasing is running applications in the background, which other tablets can also do. More or less. There are also tons of Office applications on Android. I myself have ThinkFree Office, Quickoffice Pro HD, and OfficeSuite Pro 5 installed on my Tab. So it is still unclear what is so professional there. Thanks for clarification.
    No. Showcase has the apps up and running concurrently. True multitasking.

The bridging is different than tethering.

Did I mention that the OS is bullet proof? It is a heavy duty OS compared to the lightweight stuff offered by others.

Still, if you have become reliant upon apps currently not available on the PB, perhaps you should move along.
    12-05-11 10:22 PM

(I loved that ad when it came out - Is that Jimmy Fallon?)
    Last edited by louzer; 12-05-11 at 10:27 PM.
    12-05-11 10:24 PM
    Blackberry Bridge offers significant advantages to businesses looking to deploy tablets -- of that there can be no doubt. (You can literally drop a stack of playbooks off at a department and they're ready to go. Sharing them between users or issuing them individually makes no difference; they deploy instantly to business who already have Blackberry phones deployed -- basically every medium/large enterprise.)

RIM's commitment to security, well reflected in the PlayBook, is also another major advantage that no other platform comes close to matching.

QNX is, of course, the most advanced mobile operating system around. It has set the standard at least a generation ahead of iOS and Android. It won't let you down, offering consistent performance. (Why, yes, it DOES run nuclear reactors!)

It also come pre-loaded with all the software the average business user needs to get up and running -- a nice touch.

For the individual business user: If you've got a Blackberry phone, the PlayBook is really the only sensible choice. If you have an Android phone, I'd recommend the new Transformer tablet. Though you'd still do VERY well with the PlayBook, it shines the brightest in tandem with a Blackberry phone.

Why is there so much hostility in this thread?
    Thank you, recompile. I am not being hostile. I am just trying to make an informed decision.

And no, I don't have a BlackBerry phone.

But can you, please, clarify what you mean by "It also come pre-loaded with all the software the average business user needs to get up and running -- a nice touch".. Is there any professional software not available on other platforms?
    12-05-11 10:25 PM
    No. Showcase has the apps up and running concurrently. True multitasking.

The bridging is different than tethering.

Did I mention that the OS is bullet proof? It is a heavy duty OS compared to the lightweight stuff offered by others.

Still, if you have become reliant upon apps currently not available on the PB, perhaps you should move along.
    Thanks again. You, guys, are confusing me even more

> Did I mention that the OS is bullet proof? It is a heavy duty OS compared to the lightweight stuff offered by others.

Any explanation as to why it's bullet-proof and what advantage it gives to me being heavy duty?

> The bridging is different than tethering.

Same here. How is it different. Is it any better than tethering?

> Showcase has the apps up and running concurrently. True multitasking.

Well, I can run multiple apps with no problem and switch between them easily.

Anyway, sorry if I seem too inquisitive but I really would like to know what benefits the Playbook offers to professionals.
    Last edited by milangizat; 12-05-11 at 10:32 PM.
    12-05-11 10:30 PM
    Thanks shootsscores, but

> Communications are highly secure.

?

> The OS is bullet proof

On the CrackBerry home page there is an article about rooting. Can you explain what's so bullet-proof about the OS?

> the construction extremely robust

No complains about my Tab. It's extremely well built. Although I guess any tablet's screen will crack if you drop it from 4 feet high.

> Bridging is sweet as BB handsets have excellent radios and antennas.

My phone has excellent 4g reception as well.

> I used my lap top for the first time in three weeks today.

Can't say the same. I still prefer editing documents on my laptop.

Anything else, guys?
    The PB has FIPS security certification. No other tablet has it. Rooting doesn't affect communication security as nothing is stored on the PB. As for the OS itself, it is extremely difficult if not next to impossible to make it crash.

The PB might very well survive a 4 foot fall. I wouldn't want to test it but there are stories here of PB surviving drops of that height.

In the sound amplification biz, the BB is known for its extremely strong radio. It also easily outperforms ithings in that regard. Suffice to say that the radio reception and send is very strong.

The PB by the nature of its OS performs true, unfettered multitasking.

I've used word to go and it works quite well.
    Last edited by shootsscores; 12-05-11 at 10:37 PM.
    milangizat likes this.
    12-05-11 10:32 PM
    You tell me how to get "Freadom 55” and I will tell you all about "The Only Professional Grade Tablet". Then again it may just be "For those that think young".

May also be a good tag line.........but I do enjoy my playbook!
    12-05-11 10:34 PM
    Bridge is definitely not analgous to tethering. Bridge means you can access and use email, calendar, tasks, contact list, memopad, BBM and files on your phone through a bluetooth connection. The bridge browser lets you use the phone's browser without tethering so you have a larger screen for viewing. In the future upgrade there is the expectation that you may be able to bridge your blackberry phone keyboard as well. This capability has been demonstrated.

Showcase mode does allow you to continue to do other work such as responding to emails while your playbook is running a video or a powerpoint presentation. The key is that if the primary application MUST continue to run, the device can still be used to run other applications.

The professional grade mostly refers to the quality of the hardware, the security of the device and the pedigree of QNX. Office applications are not fully mature yet, no doubt about that.

I believe the playbook is the first tablet to receive FIPS certification, I'm not aware of any other tablets having this as yet, but I understand that this is necessary to make it eligible for use in the Federal government.
    tonyron227, melb_me and milangizat like this.
    12-05-11 10:35 PM
    The PB has FIPS security certification. No other tablet has it. Rooting doesn't affect communication security as nothing is stored on the PB. As for the OS itself, it is extremely difficult if not next to impossible to make it crash.

The PB might very well survive a 4 foot fall. I wouldn't want to test it but there are stories here of PB surviving drops of that height.

In the sound amplification biz, the BB is known for its extremely strong radio. It also easily outperforms ithings in that regard. Suffice to say that the radio reception and send is very strong.

The PB by the nature of its OS performs true, unfettered multitasking.

I've used word to go and it works quite well.
    Security is a nice thing to have. Thanks. I hope you are right that the rooting does not affect security, although as I read it may. Anyway, I don't work for CIA

As for dropping the Playbook, as I said any tablet will break. This is what I've found by doing a quick search:

Again, no complains about reception on my phone.

As for multitasking. I don't know what you mean by "true" and "unfettered", but, again, I still can run applications in the background and switch between apps in no time. That's as much multitasking I need

So for now, the answer to my question is only security or FIPS certification (which I hope has not been compromised through the rooting).
    12-05-11 10:49 PM
    For less than 200 buy it, try it and see if its for you. If its not for you simply return it or give it to someone that can appreciate its other qualities or write it off for 2011 business expenses.
    milangizat likes this.
    12-05-11 10:53 PM
    Security is a nice thing to have. Thanks. I hope you are right that the rooting does not affect security, although as I read it may. Anyway, I don't work for CIA

As for dropping the Playbook, as I said any tablet will break. This is what I've found by doing a quick search:

Again, no complains about reception on my phone.

As for multitasking. I don't know what you mean by "true" and "unfettered", but, again, I still can run applications in the background and switch between apps in no time. That's as much multitasking I need

So for now, the answer to my question is only security or FIPS certification (which I hope has not been compromised through the rooting).
    I've seen that video. The PB suffered the least damage.

Learn about QNX. It multitasks everything. Loading a web page? Check the time or your settings or your email notification in real time.

Another advantage of QNX is differentiated updates. A patch for the root can be sent on its own as a small update. Critical systems on QNX are configured such that nothing else may access them. Nothing. This is where multitasking comes from. Processes run independently. This is why it's next to impossible to totally crash the OS thereby losing all saved data.
    milangizat likes this.
    12-05-11 11:02 PM
    Just advertising, I'm afraid... Smaller tablets' screens, all things being equal, are harder to break than large tablets' screens. That does not make a 7" tablet "professional." Nor is it the PB's hardware which, while nice, is virtually identical to that of the Kindle Fire (which, however, lacks a camera and GPS). It's certainly not the PB's still-underdeveloped OS. If the PB is the "only professional" tablet, it must be because if you want a native email program, you've got to hire a professional programer to write one.
    12-05-11 11:21 PM
    PROFESSIONAL GRADE etc was an advertising promotion. It is almost pure puffing.

The "Office" suite is pretty darn weak. You canNOT copy/paste a cell or block of cells in the spreadsheet. You canNOT adjust columns. You canNOT search in a Word document. The pdf app is similarly weak. You cannot search in it, you cannot bookmark or jump to a page.

And if you were disappointed in updates from your former manufacturer, count on RIM to surpass your wildest nightmares. We have been waiting for "stuff" since April and it was promised in June, Summer, Fall and is still promised.

As you may ascertain, some folks love it with its flaws and others are willing to discuss the flaws. It is not a bad product at its current (well, last week's sale prices) price and it may actually get the updates suggested in Feb 2012. Great screen, good sound from its speakers. Bridge is unique if you have a BB phone.

It has NO native email, calendar or contact list.
    12-06-11 12:44 AM
    OK, thanks to all of you for your honest and informative answers. I think I'll pass on the Playbook. Looks like the only professional feature is FIPS certification that I really don't think I need. Thanks anyway. This really helped me narrow down my options a bit.
    12-06-11 12:54 AM
    For me the BlackBerry phone is a business tool compared to other smartphones. It is focused on quality of phone calls, reliability of email communication and ease to synchronise with common applications like Outlook. It does all that extremely well. I think it can do music and games, but I would not really know.
    The PlayBook follows the same philosophy. Its size allows you to take it with you all the time, it multitasks in a very relaxing way for the user, you can manage files very easily, it is very good for presentations.
    12-06-11 01:22 AM
    Look at the name: "Playbook"

RIM has never told the whole story - about anything - ever...

What they did not tell about the tablet - is that it was supposed to be a "Professional transportable Internet Browser with some Media capabilities"... That was too long for RIMs Marketing Dep., so they just cut it short... "Professional".

Besides from that - there is absolute NOTHING that has anything to do about being a "Professional grade" device. Not even the hardware/Build quality is Professional. There are many devices out there with Power on/off button that don't work, some are so deep into the device that it can hardly be used. Reports of failing Volume controls, Failing WiFi connections etc (hardware related)...

RIM has tried to move the focus away from the real use of the device and have market more the OS itself. Its almost as marketing a car, but focusing on the color - how nice and bright it is.

In the end - the only thing that really matters - is the software and how you can use it. The Playbook totally lacks "professional" type of software, and from what you can see in AppWorld, 99% of available apps looks as if they are made by a 5 year old kid on his/her way to school.

It also looks as if RIM has put blindfold on when it comes to Listening to customers what they want/need/use etc.

So - what we have today - is a 7" device with a webbrowser that can show certain Flash enabled websites (not all... quite a few require a full Desktop version of Flash),
    and a Mediaplayer that does not even read MP3 tags.... It does contain a camera, that can be used in bright daylight, and of course also the capabilities to Film... but - even my BB phone can do that...

We all just sit and wait for "OS2" - crossing fingers and hoping all our prayers has been answered. But - WHY RIM cannot release parts of "whats coming" - a little bit over time - instead of having us all waiting ... well... i guess only RIM knows... and as WE know - RIM don't talk unless they have to.
    trickykid likes this.
    12-06-11 01:39 AM
    I am not waiting for OS2, please count me out. I am enjoying every minute of it now.
    12-06-11 01:43 AM
    I am not waiting for OS2, please count me out. I am enjoying every minute of it now.
    The only sane attitude. OS2 will, of course, be nice if it ever comes, as would the long-delayed email program, but buying the PB in anticipation would be silly. The questions that really matter are: (1) do you want a 7" tablet instead of a full-size one? and, if so (2) does the Playbook presently have features that make it preferable to the Kindle Fire with its much larger ecosystem? For the latter, the PB's advantages include: its cameras, GPS, great sound, and HDMI output, which allows you to play movies on a large screen TV--very neat.
    12-06-11 02:07 AM
152 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD