I'm a long time user of BB handsets. The playbook was a natural choice for me. And I mostly love the device, although having it for 4 months now its time for summary.

1) Not possible to copy any files from BB to PB (photos, documents etc), BIS users can do that with some of those 3rd party file managers, not an option for BES though.

2) Network browsing, accessing LAN shares - that is a big one. Even the "you know what" can do that pretty easily.

3) App World is very confusing, from the user experience (design) to the applications quality. I think the number of applications is not important, but the success rate at which they deliver the usefulness of the device, that matters. Sadly though you can coint the really valuable applications on fingers.

4) The device is very capable from HW pov, but from the SW perspective it is still unfinished even after almost half year from launch. With these devices lifetime period, being cca 18 months or so, that is confusing.

5) Why I cannot have the same handle when editing the text here as I have in the address bar? (that's just minor one, but really annoying...you have to admit it takes ages to get the cursor on the right spot).

I wonder if there is somebody seeing the things from the same perspective....

Cheers

j.
    09-19-11 01:59 PM
    I'm a long time user of BB handsets. The playbook was a natural choice for me. And I mostly love the device, although having it for 4 months now its time for summary.

1) Not possible to copy any files from BB to PB (photos, documents etc), BIS users can do that with some of those 3rd party file managers, not an option for BES though.

2) Network browsing, accessing LAN shares - that is a big one. Even the "you know what" can do that pretty easily.

3) App World is very confusing, from the user experience (design) to the applications quality. I think the number of applications is not important, but the success rate at which they deliver the usefulness of the device, that matters. Sadly though you can coint the really valuable applications on fingers.

4) The device is very capable from HW pov, but from the SW perspective it is still unfinished even after almost half year from launch. With these devices lifetime period, being cca 18 months or so, that is confusing.

5) Why I cannot have the same handle when editing the text here as I have in the address bar? (that's just minor one, but really annoying...you have to admit it takes ages to get the cursor on the right spot).

I wonder if there is somebody seeing the things from the same perspective....

Cheers

j.
    1. Why copy photos/documents when they can all be bridged to your Playbook? If you needed to print them, isn't your BB already fully capable of transferring those things to a computer with you know a thing called a printer? Also you never heard of BB Desktop manager and you can sync them along with just about everything else?

2.I do not use my PB for this, so I cannot comment.

3.App world s confusing, but doesn't have many apps? So how is it confusing? Also you can count on almost any mobile device on one hand how many apps are actually useful.

4.+5. are nitpicking. Also correcting/typing text? Its a tablet, you want to improve it? Buy a bluetooth keyboard. No tablet is as good at inputing as a real keyboard would be, you should know that going into buying any tablet, not just the PB.
    09-19-11 02:08 PM
    To answer your question, yes, some people do share the same perspective.

However, many people in this forum love their Playbook, and are tired of these types of complaints in the Playbook forum, as there are more constructive ways to express your views.

The goal should not be to find as many people as possible who think the playbook doesn't "deliver". Maybe it focus on trying to suggest things RIM should implement into the Playbook OS so that it satisfies the consumer's demands.

I think there is sufficient pressure on RIM to deliver the best with their new QNX platform. Explaining why the tablet most people on the Playbook forum bought doesn't "deliver" only succeeds in upsetting them resulting in defensive arguments.
    bbqkid8 likes this.
    09-19-11 02:23 PM
    On point #2. You are a bit too ambiguous, I can access wireless LAN and navigate through shared folders. Maybe you refer to something else :/

On the other stuff I agree with jthep
    09-19-11 02:26 PM
    Oh well...thank you for participation....

Maybe a bit of clarification. I'm using the tablets "in the field" and need to work with the externally produced data to be modified quickly and efficiently in the tablet device. I do not carry my PC or laptop with me all the time (most of the time) just to use the BB DM. Also carrying external keyboard is a bit inconvenient (I could forget the tablet than and use the laptop only). I think the tablet is basically designed for traveling light and working "off the PC" and due to that all the technologies/systems should be prepared for that kind of use when the device is launched. I'm just trying to compare and suggest the improvements from previous experiences (the typing and editing was actually pretty well handled at some competitors product, so I think Playbook deserves better. And obviously RIM think the same as they have improved it in one from last updates.

The data transfer from BB is actually related to any external digital device, you do not have a chance to get the pictures from your regular camera also (and that is no security thread as which can be presented in relation with the phone).

Thank you

j.
    09-19-11 02:26 PM
    On point #2. You are a bit too ambiguous, I can access wireless LAN and navigate through shared folders. Maybe you refer to something else :/

On the other stuff I agree with jthep
    Oh this is great!, may I ask you please to advice me how to do that? If you have a shared folders on the NAS system on the LAN, how you can access them so you would be able to copy/move/modify the files and folders?

Thank you

j.
    09-19-11 02:30 PM
    To answer your question, yes, some people do share the same perspective.

However, many people in this forum love their Playbook, and are tired of these types of complaints in the Playbook forum, as there are more constructive ways to express your views.

The goal should not be to find as many people as possible who think the playbook doesn't "deliver". Maybe it focus on trying to suggest things RIM should implement into the Playbook OS so that it satisfies the consumer's demands.

I think there is sufficient pressure on RIM to deliver the best with their new QNX platform. Explaining why the tablet most people on the Playbook forum bought doesn't "deliver" only succeeds in upsetting them resulting in defensive arguments.
    I absolutely agree. On the other hand a strong support for constructive criticism is basically an improvement suggestion. When the criticism is made on specific topic, the improvement can be made out of very easily.

Thank you

j.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    09-19-11 02:33 PM
    On that note,

1) Try using Dropbox or Box to upload things to the cloud (if you have data access). If you don't have data access...ummmm...I don't know about the BES situation but my first guess what probably that its the same as BIS in terms of using AIR Browser to move files around.

2) I believe there is a blog post on Crackberry explaining how to set up your playbook as a network attached storage after one of the updates took away that automatic feature.

3) RIM has to work on giving the cross-platform developed (Webworks or Adobe AIR) apps access to the camera, gps, compass, gyroscope, etc... This will help with the apps. Also, big name apps will come with the 2.0 update to add support for Android apps or when the new QNX phones come out.

4) I don't know what to say....the software is unfinished as most software is being improved upon. But yeah, hopefully RIM picked up the pace in developing this platform, which I think we will see that they have. Even Apple's iOS is unfinished after over 5 years of development.

5) A good point. I think they should make the editing text field bigger when selected followed by some suggestions to make it easier to input website names.
    09-19-11 03:13 PM
    I will only comment on Number 5. I, too, find editing or trying to fix typos a total pain in the **** if not the fingers. I want a cursor keypad that a swipe up from the bottom right pops up. Left/right/up/down/page up/page down and home and end could be nice. Trying to get the cursor just after the wrong letter usually takes me 4 or 5 attempts.

And what's the point of a tablet if one has to carry another keyboard. Now to packages and more batteries or chargers. Nonsense - fix the cursor movement - it's software.
    09-19-11 04:28 PM
    1,2 and 3? Not sure you have anything there, as there are workarounds and you seem unique in some of these problems.

4 and 5? Yeah, we know we know....

All subjects to be revisited after 2.0 - hang in there.
    But please avoid the negative, biased slants in your titles... what's wrong with "things I'd like to see improved" or "suggestions for Playbook"
    Playbook has delivered quite happily to at least 70 percent in here, - though we would ALL welcome improvements, and expect them and SHOULD mention them, as well as the deficiencies, you're giving the wrong impression to the outside world as it appears you are attempting to speak for everyone. You are not...and that helps nobody.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 09-19-11 at 05:18 PM.
    chiefbroski likes this.
    09-19-11 05:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD