06-17-12 11:38 AM
98 ... 234
tools
    When I bought my Playbook I bought it for my mother. I would see her reading on her iPod Touch in bed and thought she would like a bigger screen. She used it, but thought it was too heavy, so now I have it and use it. All 7" tablets are around the same weight, so she still uses her iPod to read in bed. She thinks a bigger screen would be nice, but there is none out there for her to read in bed with. And also play solitaire and check her Facebook.
    06-15-12 10:36 PM
    It's constructive criticism towards the playbook, honestly everyone on this planet has taken a shot at this underrated tablet. "its not big enough to watch movies" "it doesn't have a big app catalog" "They struggling to sell that trash" "The hardware is dated and old" "who wants to type on a small screen like the playbook screen" the list goes on we know a jab at the playbook from a mile away we been getting them since April 2011.
    They may be taking shots....or that may be their legitimate option.
    06-15-12 11:28 PM
    I like the size and weight of the PlayBook.

I was using my friend's iPad the other day and after about 10 minutes it started to feel heavy. I don't have that issue with the PlayBook.

The PlayBook in the convertible case sits nicely on my leg without falling over when I'm laying on the couch. The iPad seems to need a pretty flat surface when in their magic case or whatever it's called.

My PlayBook also made a good bedside clock radio when I was house sitting recently. There wasn't enough space on the table to stand up an iPad, but the PlayBook sat nicely on the corner of the table. Was able to stream a radio station I like to listen to in bed just fine.

But OMG if it waz moor like teh ipad it wood be soooo much coolerzzz!!!11!!
    06-16-12 12:35 AM
    Considering they haven't released a second PlayBook yet, it's a moot point to say they haven't made it thinner yet. Furthermore, the PlayBook is about as thin as the iPad 2 (I believe, at least in terms of real world observations it is), and the PlayBook is lighter. It is however, heavier per square inch. I personally find that while this makes it feel heavier, it is still easier to carry around in the end because it is still in fact lighter. I find this gives it a nice solid feeling, however such a thing is a preference. and I must admit I would be quite impressed to see it weigh less. As far as thickness, I think if you wanted something really cool, 2/3 the current thickness would be really impressive, and yet still feel like you're actually holding something.

Anyway, all just a matter of opinion. :P
    FF22 likes this.
    06-16-12 01:31 AM
    They may be taking shots....or that may be their legitimate option.
    They struggle to sell them isn't a option or viewpoint, it's a statement of fact backed by a write-off.
    06-16-12 02:43 AM
    They struggle to sell them isn't a option or viewpoint, it's a statement of fact backed by a write-off.
    And that dig has to do with the post how?
    06-16-12 03:29 AM
    "Report, ignore and never reply to obvious troll posts, they will die without responses from you?"
    06-16-12 03:32 AM
    but the size is different, not really apple to apple
    No it's Apple to BlackBerry :P

btw maybe the PB could be a bit lighter & a tiny bit skinnier but those things have yet to have ever bothered me. What it could be is cooler. When laying in bed reading a book it sometimes feels a bit warm...not hot, just warm enough to be a bit distracting....unlike the iPad which will actually leave red marks on your skin from it's heat.
    06-16-12 03:40 AM
    It's constructive criticism towards the playbook, honestly everyone on this planet has taken a shot at this underrated tablet. "its not big enough to watch movies" "it doesn't have a big app catalog" "They struggling to sell that trash" "The hardware is dated and old" "who wants to type on a small screen like the playbook screen" the list goes on we know a jab at the playbook from a mile away we been getting them since April 2011.
    & yet they are all super excited & foaming at the mouth over the rumoured 7" iPad coming out later this year.......
    06-16-12 03:42 AM
    Thinner is not always better, it's optimal at the moment for me and my kids.

Let's not forget the thinner it is the easier it is to flex and we all know what happens if you try to flex glass.
    06-16-12 03:42 AM
    besides lack of apps,my biggest complain is its weight, Apple is trying hard to get ipad thinner and thinner, why playbook cannot do that. I hope their 4G model can be very slim and stylish. not just like a brick
    Have you used an Ipad 3 to read with yet? It's a brick. Impossible to hold over five minutes. It's worse than the Touchpad I sold to buy it. I would never, ever sell my Ipad2 for the 3rd gen...ever. Thankfully I was able to sell it without a loss. (to my bro-in-law) The screen quality isn't worth the extra anything.

The playbook is leaps and bounds better to hold and use vs. the Ipad3. It shouldn't even be a conversation.
    06-16-12 05:44 AM
    why RIM fans are so defensive why don't think it is a feedback instead of criticism.
    I am not defending RIM. There is nothing to defend. You are criticizing a product that doesn't exist.

Apple is trying hard to get ipad thinner and thinner, why playbook cannot do that.
    If RIM really does follow Apple's path the next PB version will be thicker and heavier so be careful what you wish for.
    06-16-12 07:53 AM
    I guess I will seriously ask if existing BATTERY Technology will allow a 7 inch tablet to get much thinner and still run for hours. And then follow that up with if a thinner battery can affordably be provided?
    06-16-12 09:12 AM
    More important than that is, will it still have the forward facing speakers.
    06-16-12 09:15 AM
    besides lack of apps,my biggest complain is its weight, Apple is trying hard to get ipad thinner and thinner, why playbook cannot do that. I hope their 4G model can be very slim and stylish. not just like a brick
    Why don't you ask the engineers at RIM, and while you're at it ask them why the Playbook doesn't come with a time-machine/bj function too.

Sent from my time-machine/bj PlayBook.
    Last edited by BC_Dude308; 06-16-12 at 09:19 AM.
    Lendo and SnoozerBold like this.
    06-16-12 09:16 AM
    Why don't you ask the engineers at RIM, and while you're at it ask them why the Playbook doesn't come with a time-machine/bj function too.

Not constructive, but funny as h3ll.
    dave1701 likes this.
    06-16-12 09:26 AM
    Here is the real reason why playbook cannot be half thinner:
    06-16-12 12:58 PM
    I have made my playbook lighter with an aftermarket device that I have just trademarked and patented.

I took 4 large balloons, filled with helium, taped to all corners and now my playbook just floats along behind me.

also, the furthur it is behind me the smaller and thinner in becomes.

there - problem solved.

Last edited by canuck_67; 06-16-12 at 01:37 PM.
    Marty_LK and Lendo like this.
    06-16-12 01:22 PM
    Ihave made my playbook lighter with an aftermarket device that I have just trademarked and patented.

I took 4 large balloons, filled with helium, taped to all corners and now my playbook just floats along behind me.

there - problem solved.

Find that hole in "Chronicle" and be affected by what's in there. Then you can even eliminate the helium balloons and just make your PB float at will. You could make it appear to be as small as a molecule by flinging it way far away.
    06-16-12 01:37 PM
    I have made my playbook lighter with an aftermarket device that I have just trademarked and patented.

there - problem solved.

Do you have an umbrella with a balloon for the rain? I'll sell you the patent for that.
    06-16-12 02:28 PM

If there is tablet with time machine, I know is will be ipad,that is why I don't ask rim engineers.
    Hawnz likes this.
    06-16-12 10:24 PM
    Awesome thread.

Like others said, the most recent iPad is thicker than the previous one, correct? The how is apple making it thinner if the newest one is actually thinker? You want rim to do something you claim apple did when really apple didn't do it. I'm sure they would have if it was viable but same goes for rim.

As for the pb, I like the size and format factors. Though I wouldn't complain if it was a bit lighter. Still the weight it is now isn't killing me.

Again, very entertaining thread.
    Last edited by SnoozerBold; 06-16-12 at 11:06 PM.
    06-16-12 11:04 PM
    Awesome thread.

Like others said, the most recent iPad is thicker than the previous one, correct? The how is apple making it thinner if the newest one is actually thinker? You want rim to do something you claim apple did when really apple didn't do it. I'm sure they would have if it was viable but same goes for rim.

As for the pb, I like the size and format factors. Though I wouldn't complain if it was a bit lighter. Still the weight it is now isn't killing me.

Again, very entertaining thread.
    My theory is that they made the new one thicker just so that they can make the fourth the same size as the second, and make it out to be a new revolution and technological breakthrough.
    FF22 likes this.
    06-17-12 11:38 AM
98 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD