Think big, think differently. Status quo is not a solution
    Ok, you sir/ms are being silly here. :-)

Some of us don't want a thinner tablet, myself included. Thinner smart wall panel? Sure. Tablet, no!
    06-14-12 10:51 PM
    The new iPad is thicker and heavier because the battery is bigger because of the new display. Apple wanted similar battery life.

I don't know if I would like a thinner PB, but I do wish it was lighter. Or maybe if weight was the same, longer battery life.
    06-14-12 11:06 PM
    It's actually quite possible to make the PB thinner and, more importantly, lighter (making it even more portable, but keeping the build quality high):

Playbook
    Size: 194 x 130 x 10 mm
    Weight: 425 g

Galaxy Tab 7.7 (also has cameras, comparable battery capacity, even larger screen, etc.)
    Size: 196.7 x 133 x 7.9 mm
    Weight: 340 g
    The galaxy tab is plastic, playbook seems to have metal or perhaps a very dense plastic (both maybe). The two tablets I was looking into were the playbook and the Sony android one cause of the playstation 1 games . The reason I chose the playbook is because it feels like it has much better build quality and the weight certainly has a roll to play in that. Not sure I would want the playbook any thinner, it gives a bit to hold onto. Either way we look at it, this is 2mm we are talking about here and 1mm with the ipad comparison, that is roughly the thickness of a toenail, if this really is a deal breaker then you are likely to be unhappy with anything you get because there is going to be something thinner just around the corner.
    06-14-12 11:30 PM
    The galaxy tab is plastic, playbook seems to have metal or perhaps a very dense plastic (both maybe). The two tablets I was looking into were the playbook and the Sony android one cause of the playstation 1 games . The reason I chose the playbook is because it feels like it has much better build quality and the weight certainly has a roll to play in that. Not sure I would want the playbook any thinner, it gives a bit to hold onto. Either way we look at it, this is 2mm we are talking about here and 1mm with the ipad comparison, that is roughly the thickness of a toenail, if this really is a deal breaker then you are likely to be unhappy with anything you get because there is going to be something thinner just around the corner.

Galaxy Tab 7.7 is as much plastic as the Playbook. It's even got a metal back. Its build quality has been often commended and is as good if not better than that of the Playbook's.

Let me google that for you

And, no we are not talking only about 2 mm (which is 20% thinner by the way), we are talking about the Playbook being 25% heavier (with the galaxy tab's weight being the base).

But I agree that the Sony tab does feel hollow and plasticky, which is not the case with the Tab 7.7. The latter feels rock solid.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 06-14-12 at 11:44 PM.
    06-14-12 11:35 PM
    It can't get thinner, because you can't improve upon perfection
    06-14-12 11:43 PM
    I do notice that the tapered edge of the iPad makes it LOOK thinner, although at 0n;ly 0.030-inch thinner, it really is only 8% thinner.

I like the overall dimensions of the PB - I can even hold it in one hand walking thru the airport, as I did today.
    The iPad is not ergonomically pleasing to hold. I hate form over function. The PB feels much nicer to hold. I don't want thinner, but I wouldn't mind lighter. But if it required sacrificing anything like battery life or cameras, then I'd pass. I'm not unhappy with the weight but lighter is always better for long-term use.

I've watched movies several times while walking from the plane to my car.
    kennyliu likes this.
    06-15-12 12:20 AM
    I too prefer the quality and strength of build of the PB. I don't want to sacrifice a nice robust build for a thinner and possibly less durable design. Thinner is not always better, ergonomically speaking. I don't like the feel of the tapered edges of the iPad nor the Tab, both of which we owned. I also prefer the rubberized back case, which is much more secure to hold but adds weight, than the metal backs. Nevertheless, as battery technology advances, I'm sure all tablets will get a little thinner, but only to a point, because as long as a tablet uses standardized ports, there is a limit. Tablets and phones with thinner propriety ports can go a little thinner. I prefer standardized ports, much more practical.

FWIW, I've got an open PB now, getting ready to replace the digitizer. It has quite a bit of metal and a magnesium internal frame. Very strong. I haven't opened a 7.7 Tab, but I have tried to flex one on display, it doesn't feel as rigid nor as strong as the PB. Go try it.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-15-12 at 01:05 AM.
    06-15-12 01:01 AM
    I too prefer the quality and strength of build of the PB. I don't want to sacrifice a nice robust build for a thinner and possibly less durable design. Thinner is not always better, ergonomically speaking. I don't like the feel of the tapered edges of the iPad nor the Tab, both of which we owned. Nevertheless, as battery technology advances, I'm sure all tablets will get a little thinner, but only to a point, because as long as a tablet uses standardized ports, there is a limit. Tablets and phones with thinner propriety ports can go a little thinner. I prefer standardized ports, much more practical.

FWIW, I've got an open PB now, getting ready to replace the digitizer. It has quite a bit of metal and a magnesium internal frame. Very strong. I haven't opened a 7.7 Tab, but I have tried to flex one on display, it doesn't feel as rigid nor as strong as the PB. Go try it.
    Hmm. Strange how people's perception may differ. I too played with the Tab 7.7 and it is indeed a very solid tablet with no flex whatsoever. But mine wasn't a demo unit (which shouldn't matter anyway).
    06-15-12 01:03 AM
    Hmm. Strange how people's perception may differ. I too played with the Tab 7.7 and it is indeed a very solid tablet with no flex whatsoever. But mine wasn't a demo unit (which shouldn't matter anyway).
    Hmmm. Yes, it is strange isn't it. That's why I said go try it. No, a demo makes no difference but I said that to ensure no one would think I would do that to someone else's tablet, because I gave it a good tweek LOL. I didn't mind comparing it to my experimental PB due to an already damaged digitizer. I confidentially stand by my "perception ".
    06-15-12 01:13 AM
    besides lack of apps,my biggest complain is its weight, Apple is trying hard to get ipad thinner and thinner, why playbook cannot do that. I hope their 4G model can be very slim and stylish. not just like a brick
    Apple may be trying hard to get ipad thinner and thinner but they aren't succeeding are they?
    What makes you think RIM isn't attempting to make the Playbook thinner and lighter?
    They have only released one version so you are assuming that the next version is going to be the same.
    mrzeolite likes this.
    06-15-12 04:55 AM
    Alright this is really bugging me. Why does everyone want a thinner and light device? One of my complaints about the Bold 9930 was it is too light for my liking. I feel like any minute its gonna snap in two. To me that makes it feel cheap. ((But, I've been using it since launch so you can tell I still like it.)) The playbook has a nice weight to it. Any lighter and I think I'd feel the same way about it as my 9930. Tablets are supposed to be mobile touchscreen computers. I don't know about the rest of you but, my playbook weighs a fraction of what my laptop does.
    06-15-12 05:07 AM
    Maybe the Playbook will be on a season of The Biggest Loser and shed a few pounds. Its young and may be carrying some baby weight ;-)
    06-15-12 05:54 AM
    This has been an entertaining thread to read. Thank you everyone!
    06-15-12 06:10 AM
    Apple may be trying hard to get ipad thinner and thinner but they aren't succeeding are they?
    What makes you think RIM isn't attempting to make the Playbook thinner and lighter?
    They have only released one version so you are assuming that the next version is going to be the same.
    Is that the right question? Why do you assume there will be another version of the playbook?
    kennyliu likes this.
    06-15-12 06:11 AM
    besides lack of apps,my biggest complain is its weight, Apple is trying hard to get ipad thinner and thinner, why playbook cannot do that. I hope their 4G model can be very slim and stylish. not just like a brick

Weight and the thickness of the device dont necessarily have anything to do with one another, you are aware of this right? So do you want it lighter, or thinner? RIM could use plastic instead of glass on the device, and use lower quality components, use a single battery instead of two, and it could be MUCH lighter. But then you wouldnt have the same quality in the device.
    06-15-12 07:48 AM
    Weight and the thickness of the device dont necessarily have anything to do with one another, you are aware of this right? So do you want it lighter, or thinner? RIM could use plastic instead of glass on the device, and use lower quality components, use a single battery instead of two, and it could be MUCH lighter. But then you wouldnt have the same quality in the device.
    May be the OP would like one battery to make it lighter then would be able to start another thread of the Playbooks poor battery life.
    06-15-12 07:52 AM
    I am really unhappy with the type of shadow that my PlayBook casts - I mean REALLY RIM!!

When I am using it in my Tahoe, via bridge, to respond to a clients request for CAD drawings, and the sun is coming in from the drivers window, I CAN'T SEE MY VEHICLE DISPLAY to check the A/C TEMP!! the shadow cast by the PlayBook is the WRONG SHADE OF GRAY! Silly RIM!!!

OHHH. And let's not forget - when I'm in a conference room filled with flourescent lights, and I'm using my PlayBook via HDMI out to show videos of my Co's technology and products in action via the projector to the screen, the crystal clear display of the PlayBook is what the nearby folks are watching instead of the large screen. SILLY RIM!!

I sure hope RIM pays attention to things like this. Thanks OP for giving us a thread to hold them accountable for such limiting and poor features.
    06-15-12 08:50 AM
    I am really unhappy with the type of shadow that my PlayBook casts - I mean REALLY RIM!!

When I am using it in my Tahoe, via bridge, to respond to a clients request for CAD drawings, and the sun is coming in from the drivers window, I CAN'T SEE MY VEHICLE DISPLAY to check the A/C TEMP!! the shadow cast by the PlayBook is the WRONG SHADE OF GRAY! Silly RIM!!!

OHHH. And let's not forget - when I'm in a conference room filled with flourescent lights, and I'm using my PlayBook via HDMI out to show videos of my Co's technology and products in action via the projector to the screen, the crystal clear display of the PlayBook is what the nearby folks are watching instead of the large screen. SILLY RIM!!

I sure hope RIM pays attention to things like this. Thanks OP for giving us a thread to hold them accountable for such limiting and poor features.
    LMAO Its not just me who has noticed the quaint grey shadow then. Maybe this batch of playbooks will be recalled.
    06-15-12 08:56 AM
    If I wanted a paper plate thin pb,I would have just brought paper plates and put plastic wrap around it and use it as a paper thin pb.
    06-15-12 09:49 AM
    I do get that the PB is the golden standard of weight, size, form, functionality and all. It's just the divine perfection.

But it can be slimmer and lighter without sacrificing anything including the build and material quality, which wouldn't be a bad thing considering many people chose the PB for its portability.
    06-15-12 10:26 AM
    I can't believe the stuff people complain about........

COMPLAINERS WHAT DID RIM DO TO YOU.

Oh ... They built US the best 7 inch tablet for buisiness in the world.

It sure is a plus that RIM has decided to add games, video, music and so much more to make it fun for none buisiness users to also enjoy a wonderful well made device.

And not to mention the hack proof security, Correct me if I'm incorrect here but have'nt all the other tablets out there been rooted. Well I don't know about you but that sure gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to know my private data remains safe in my Blackberry Playbook.

Well I guess some people just can't be happy with anything even if it is the best in the world.
    pididipop likes this.
    06-15-12 10:32 AM
    I do get that the PB is the golden standard of weight, size, form, functionality and all. It's just the divine perfection.

But it can be slimmer and lighter without sacrificing anything including the build and material quality, which wouldn't be a bad thing considering many people chose the PB for its portability.
    You are slipping kennyliu, your attempt at sarcasm missed wildly since it had nothing to do with the quoted text.

I gave examples of how it could be lighter, never did I say these are the only options. Nor did I make any suggestions to have the device thinner.
    06-15-12 10:32 AM
    RE: Why PlayBook Cannot be Thinner?

I believe, during the time when the PlayBook is in designing phase, all those stuff they put inside the PlayBook are "optimized" based on the design specifications... I guess, if a thinner CPU (GPU) or PCB is available that time, having the same specification, the PlayBook's designers will consider that "thinner" parts to make the PlayBook slimmer... on the case of new iPad where it is thicker that its predecessor, the iPad designers have no option but to make it a little bit thicker to meet their target specifications which is supposedly higher than previous... if thinner hardware parts are available, I'm sure, designers will always consider this option... although it is always directly affected the price of the product...

"Optimization" + "Manufacturing Cost" + "Availability" meeting the required "Specifications" = Product...
    06-15-12 10:40 AM
    Remember, this Tablet is over a year old and was one of the first Tablets to feature a dual core processor, 2 cameras, and HDMI port, 2 charging options, 2 speakers, and all this in one of the first smaller form factor tablets. Smaller form factor means less room to put all this stuff and a battery large enough to give it meaningful battery life.

There is no doubt about it that during the design phase 2+ years ago that RIM fit all that stuff into the thinnest possible casing that they could while still keeping the cost down.

Even 2 years later, components haven't really become any smaller. A quad core processor is going to be bigger than a dual core, the cameras have shrunk I'm sure, but barely, and the battery has to be about the same size.

Also, one of my biggest complaints about the iPad 2 is that it feels too thin. I didn't enjoy holding it until I put a case on it that made it thicker.
    mrzeolite likes this.
    06-15-12 10:49 AM
    ^^^ Newer quad cores will not necessarily be any larger than the current dual cores due to the shrink in lithography (down to 28-32 nm), which may translate into a smaller die or more transistors on a die. It also usually translates into more power efficiency, so a smaller battery is possible. Power efficiency may also result in a smaller housing necessary to dissipate the heat.
    06-15-12 10:56 AM
98 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD