The Bold 9900 is offered for $300+$18 upgrade fee, and of course tax, for TMO subscribers. I think that is way too high for upgrade pricing. All of these devices come and go too quick. So, I spent the $300 on the Playbook and got a lot more for my money. The only thing missing was the ability to make phone calls. That's where the 9360 curve came into the picture, to mate with the PB. My upgrade pricing leaves me with a final $106 for the 9360 after rebate.

The PB was exactly $299 + nothing. For a grand total of $406, I ended up with two of the latest BB products. Since I have so much equipment to carry for work as a field service engineer, the size, power, and value for this pair makes for an outstanding deal!!! I love how thin and light the new curve is, and for me the keyboard on it is great.

I had bridged the playbook for about two weeks to my unlocked 9530 I was using on TMO and even that worked fairly well, for when I had no WiFi access. It is considerably better and faster when bridged to the 9360 3G.

To have a tablet of these hardware specs and its capability, and not have the need for built in 3G + another data plan is tremendous in my opinion! Bridging was a brilliant idea as well. Perhaps seen as a band aid at first, it's anything but. It's effortless, and when disconnected all personal contacts and email are gone with it. Using the playbook at times as an external extension of your BB or just for a quick connection is phenomenal. When on a WiFi network, it's one powerful microcomputer. I'm not really sure native email and contacts are even necessary. Why sync when you can have it all in one place? And then not. Its web browsing is truly the only tablet I have seen that comes close to the regular desktop web browsing we all know.

For anyone sitting on the fence, it is truly a nice combination you won't regret. I spent weeks thinking about it and even let the Black Friday sales go by.
    The shopblackberry.com sale ends tomorrow, Sat 1/28/12 for anyone interested and some of the stores may continue until stock is depleted. You can still get the 64GB for only $299.
    01-27-12 06:49 PM
    Great post, and please ignore what will be a wagon train of naysaying trolls who will voice their obssessive opposition to your most objective assessment of PB use in the real "professional" world.

Thanks.
    01-27-12 06:55 PM
    I also got an incredible deal: My PlayBook and BB Torch 9810 pair of devices cost me a total of $250. I shocked myself as I just typed those words. $250?? Wait is that true? That's all I spent for these two exceptional devices that work so well together? Brand new. Not refurbished. Okay, only 16 gigs on the PB, but I'm doing okay with storage. 250 bucks. Wow. Hard to believe, isn't it?
    01-27-12 07:07 PM
    alnamvet68, I certainly will. As I'm sure they will come. No sweat! And thanks for the compliment.

What I am seeing here is very similar to the days when I bought my first iMac in '99, and so many said, "what the heck did you do that for?" We had almost no software either and every vendor in the world was compatible with MS only. Not to mention, MS was beating the daylights out of them financially. I still have that machine and it still runs, ok walks, but won't die. Just like all my other Apple equipment and all my other BBs retired to the closet. Genuine hardware from the same company responsible for the OS, is what they both have in common.

Perhaps I'm wrong but when companies are down, it gives consumers on a budget an outstanding opportunity to cash in, and I think this year will be a huge turnaround for RIM. And while so many view it as one side or the other, I disagree. Both companies are pioneers in their respective industries. They were both first at many things, and they both rose to the top of their markets at one time or another and both bid fairwell to their original leaders only months apart. How coincidental. I happen to be a fan of both, and will enjoy watching it all happen again.
    Last edited by imacj; 01-27-12 at 07:31 PM.
    01-27-12 07:22 PM
    barskin on the other hand just blew the doors of my great deal! LOL! Way to go man! How did you ever do find that deal!!! I like that torch too!
    It is the happy median between both worlds of touch screens and buttons. Which ironically enough, is the premise of this thread.
    01-27-12 07:30 PM
    I too rememeber the beginning Mac days and how everyone bashed because it wasn't Windows...
    And here we are with our wonderful and DIFFERENT Blackberrys with the awesome OS's and top notch security, and the story is the same with users of the other type of OS bashing because apps are different.
    I will stand by Blackberry and their devices until I leave this earth!

It's MY story and I'm stickin' to it!!
    01-27-12 07:47 PM
    Why the playbook? The speakers, the speakers, the speakers!
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-27-12 08:01 PM
    Agreed. I love that HD video demo. I want that song, if anyone knows it.
    01-27-12 08:05 PM
    You like that demo vid??? I do too, but check this one out on the Playbook.. He has Volume 1 and 2.. here is the link for the first one..

Landscapes: Volume One on Vimeo
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-27-12 08:12 PM
    Initialy, the price.
    In retrospect, everything else.
    simu31 likes this.
    01-27-12 08:32 PM
    And as the pig in the Geico commercial says, (which also goes for my PB)..... Pure Adrenaline..

Maxwell the Pig Returns New GEICO Commercial - YouTube
    Last edited by jafobabe; 01-27-12 at 08:49 PM.
    imacj likes this.
    01-27-12 08:43 PM
    great post. welcome to the pb family.
    imacj likes this.
    01-27-12 08:47 PM
    Nice post.

Just yesterday, I was on the go but had to review some legal docs in pdf format right away. What I did was download the attachments using my 9900 then bridge it w/ the PB then review them docs in the PB for a larger screen reading experience

It would be cool though if it was possible to transfer the pdf file from BB to PB via bridge.

Cheers
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-27-12 08:53 PM
    Thanks Jafobabe! I'm checking them out.
    01-27-12 09:03 PM
    My PB cost me �169 here in the UK and is the perfect companion to my Torch 9800. An equivalent 16GB iPad would have cost me �499 plus �10 pm for a data plan, even if I already owned an iPhone.
    Why should I still go for the iPad?
    Thunderbuck and imacj like this.
    01-27-12 09:04 PM
    egzbuen, I agree and hoping for file management in OS2.

I'm telling ya man, the bridge thing is what steered me to update my BB and away from the Android phones.
    01-27-12 09:09 PM
    barskin on the other hand just blew the doors of my great deal! LOL! Way to go man! How did you ever do find that deal!!! I like that torch too!
    It is the happy median between both worlds of touch screens and buttons. Which ironically enough, is the premise of this thread.
    Well, just look at me. It may seem unfair to the little people, but everywhere I go, I am given the Raving Beauty discount. Sales clerks, especially the men, fall down dead when they see me and insist on just giving me things. I make them take at least a pittance from me, you know, so they won't get in trouble (I'm beautiful, inside and out). So that's how I got my deal. Oh, well, I heard that some people did get the 16 gb PB for $199 and the Torch 9810 from AT&T for $49.95, but I don't know about stuff like that. I don't have to. I'm gorgeous.
    01-27-12 10:05 PM
    I'm speechless.
    01-27-12 10:29 PM
    I'm speechless.
    People have that reaction to me all the time. They see me, they gasp, they faint, they fall over...It's my life. I'm used to it.
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-27-12 10:32 PM
    And barskin IS our Resident Raving Beauty. We all worship her every post, and save them, in hopes she will add her opulent signature, so we can sell them on eBay!
    Last edited by jafobabe; 01-28-12 at 01:05 AM.
    barskin, hpjrt and kbz1960 like this.
    01-27-12 10:40 PM
    And barskin IS are Resident Raving Beauty. We all worship her every post, and save them, in hopes she will add her opulent signature, so we can sell them on eBay!
    Oh, babe! It makes me feel so good to know that I can be such help to all the little people! It gives my life meaning - that and a good mani/pedi.
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-27-12 10:58 PM
    Great post, and please ignore what will be a wagon train of naysaying trolls who will voice their obssessive opposition to your most objective assessment of PB use in the real "professional" world.

Thanks.
    otherwise known as LYING NOOBS
    01-27-12 10:58 PM
    I'm speechless.
    You should be....nothing like a "hairlip" to get you to re-think your position on religion.
    Toodeurep likes this.
    01-28-12 12:52 AM
    You should be....nothing like a "hairlip" to get you to re-think your position on religion.
    Yeah, at first I wasn't sure. Upon closer look, I could see a light shadow, and somehow just couldn't get past it.

Don't take it the wrong way barskin, it's me, I'm just not good enough for you anyway.
    01-28-12 09:42 AM
    Yeah, at first I wasn't sure. Upon closer look, I could see a light shadow, and somehow just couldn't get past it.

Don't take it the wrong way barskin, it's me, I'm just not good enough for you anyway.
    None of us are, but the reality is, if you wanna' be happy for the rest of your life, then pay attention to Jimmy Soul....

[YT]youtube.com/watch?v=9NF5XU-k2Vk[/YT]

01-28-12 12:25 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD