Its all about the apps. If we had netflix, kindle, skype, google maps, ect ect. Then it would be a different story.

you get kindle and google maps on PB too....as android apps...you can sideload...
    02-23-12 07:18 PM
    you get kindle and google maps on PB too....as android apps...you can sideload...
    Google maps works on the browser now.
    02-23-12 07:25 PM
    It's about Price vs Function.

The only reason I choose playbook is that I only need a device for web browsing, music and video. I don't care about apps, games, hulu, kindle, netflix, skype. Playbook is just the best bang for the bucks.

People have to understand that everyone has different needs. Technology changes so fast. Who cares about potential anyway?
    Mystic205 likes this.
    02-23-12 07:33 PM
    why, why, why????? why is that people is so blind with apple products???

like ok i know they're cool and amazing, but is more flashy than anything else(at least for me) today i just grabbed a Playbook with OS 2.0 and it was awesome, so i just made a comment of how i think that the Playbook kicks the Ipad by so many things, and then everything started, everybody just said are u crazy??? have u gone mad?? here in my country there's not a lot of BlackBerry lovers for what it actually is(most of the people has it just because of BBM) but theres a complete world in BB besides the BBM, why does everybody thinks that every single product branded under BlackBerry is a piece of junk in front of apple products??

whats your decision? Ipad or Playbook? i stick to the playbook, not because i yboolove BlackBerry, just because it proved to my eyes to be a better tablet than the ipad is!
    I own both, my wife likes the iPad for its size. I like the Playbook for its size. My wife likes the Playbook for the multitasking. I like the iPad for the apps. My wife likes the Playbook for the Bezel gestures, I like the little home button on the iPad.. I could go on and on.

I am very fortunate to be able to afford both. Which would I pick # 1. Well my wife with the Killer Bod of course.
    Last edited by skier1960; 02-23-12 at 08:00 PM.
    02-23-12 07:48 PM
    Because of that, RIM had a very narrow window to play catch up with. ..snip
    If RIM has a narrow window, it is one of their own creation. That is outlined in this article in The Verge:
    Research, no motion: How the BlackBerry CEOs lost an empire
    (Warning, if you don't like giving hits to blog sites, don't click this link. The article is way to long to quote.)
    If it weren't for the big head start Apple has relied on with the iPhone they'd be hurting too.
    This is backwards. RIM, Microsoft, Nokia, Sony, LG, HTC and any other mobile player gave Apple the head start. Go back to 20007 articles on the first iPhone and see how it was scoffed by every media outlet.
    There's a lot of unhappy campers about the fact that they've been stuck with a 3.5" screen for so long with no confirmed end in sight, among other issues.
    The five or six unhappy campers are not enough to make a difference:
    ComScore report finds 42 percent of US mobile users have smartphones, Android at nearly 50 percent -- Engadget
    "snip...Apple had the three biggest selling phones in the US for the year with the iPhone 4, 3GS and 4S; the BlackBerry Curve 8530 snagged the fourth spot and the HTC EVO 4G took fifth. ..."
    You have to shock and awe potential buyers if you want to keep in a rapidly changing race. I have absolutely zero illusions that I'm going to still be using this same tablet I am right now in late 2012 / early 2013. The company offering the best combination of Price + Hardware+ UI + OS + useful apps next year is going to get my purchase, regardless of who the maker is. For $200 RIM won me out for late 2011 / early 2012.
    Sounds like a good plan.
    gwmadrigal likes this.
    02-23-12 07:59 PM
    TV Commercial: The Playbook by RIM with 2.0 and side load apps.

(on screen in small text: We don't have enough of our own so we borrow from Android.)

Brilliant.
    Hockey_Fan10 likes this.
    02-23-12 08:03 PM
    Even if you dismiss the great marketing hype that Apple creates, the iPad gets a big edge in the consumer market due to the popular apps all being there and working. The Playbook may have the better hardware, IMHO the better OS, but the popular consumer apps such as Kindle, Netflix, Hulu, etc. simply aren't available on the Playbook...snip.
    There are few tablets out there with better specs than the iPad2. They also have app parity when it comes to the major players. Yet no tablet comes close to sales. Marketing hype? Brainwashing of millions and millions and millions of people of all walks, most income levels etc? What could be the reason for the large sales gap between the iPad and the next best selling tablet?
    you can't make that argument in a vacuum when you don't know how many switched to other platforms worldwide, on all carriers though.
    No vacum. Just facts:
    T-Mobile lost more customers in Q4, will launch LTE in 2013 with AWS spectrum from AT&T -- Engadget
    "In T-Mobile USA's first earnings report since the proposed merger with AT&T fell through in December, it noted a loss of 802,000 customers in Q4 (being the only carrier not to have the iPhone is a lonely, lonely circumstance)." ...snip
    T-Mobile Feb 22 2012
    "Branded contract losses improved through the third quarter of 2011, however the launch of the iPhone 4S reversed this trend to a branded contract customer loss of 706,000 in the fourth quarter of 2011 "
    "�However, not carrying the iPhone led to a significant increase in contract deactivations in the fourth quarter of 2011. ...snip"
    "The sequential and year-on-year increase in customer losses is a result of intense competitive pressure from the launch of the iPhone 4S by three nationwide competitors in the fourth quarter of 2011." ...snip
    And it goes on. For further defection information, check Sprint statements on iPhone in 2011.
    02-23-12 08:23 PM
    Oh and let me answer the thread title which is actually a question: People do see the POTENTIAL in the Playbook and are frustrated bc RIM does not! RIM after 10 months still has not made partnerships or business deals to bring the most popular consumer apps/sites/functionality to this excellent tablet.

Basically the Playbook is great for tablet browsing but bad on consumer media functionality. Now Playbook could run Android apps, so converting those popular apps should be easy and add functionality to the Playbook, right? Wrong! RIM just doesn't see the potential I guess?

And before people jump in and say it doesn't have a big enough user base, well if you believe that is a valid excuse then how can BB10 devices ever succeed and compete with iOS or Android when RIM just gives up on getting consumer content or functionality? PB and BB10 BB's are going to run different versions of the same OS with the same ecosystem and RIM is not properly developing on functionality.

RIM should be held to the fire for this and fans should demand some of the things that iOS and Android users take for granted!
    DMitch likes this.
    02-23-12 08:28 PM
    What was a pretty decent thread is now unraveling at the seams. Sorry, totally lost you on the last posts. Beam me up Scotty...

edit - jthep's post went in before mine, I was referring to the mess before that...
    02-23-12 08:34 PM
    At the end of the day, you cannot use potential.. there isnt an app for that.
    DMitch likes this.
    02-23-12 08:36 PM
    why, why, why????? why is that people is so blind with apple
    products???

like ok i know they're cool and amazing, but is more flashy than anything else(at least for me) today i just grabbed a Playbook with OS 2.0 and it was awesome, so i just made a comment of how i think that the Playbook kicks the Ipad by so many things, and then everything started, everybody just said are u crazy??? have u gone mad?? here in my country there's not a lot of BlackBerry lovers for what it actually is(most of the people has it just because of BBM) but theres a complete world in BB besides the BBM, why does everybody thinks that every single product branded under BlackBerry is a piece of junk in front of apple products??

whats your decision? Ipad or Playbook? i stick to the playbook, not because i love BlackBerry, just because it proved to my eyes to be a better tablet than the ipad is!
    It's a look what I got thing. Woohoo, you have a ipad...

I just had an example of this at dinner. I noticed it because it was dab spat in the in front of this person sitting at the next table as she sat down typing away so her friends can see her doing in and she had to show them what she was doing. Then when she had to eat, the ipad turned into a place mat with the iphone right beside it. Why?
    I carry my playbook everywhere I go so I pulled it out of my pocket AFTER I finished eating to surf a bit wasting some time. Then when it came to the bill, I put it back in my pocket. My playbook is too useful to be a tray.
    02-23-12 08:42 PM
    I appreciate this thread & all who posted.
    It's rare that anyone can say any non positive thoughts about the PB and not get an army of pb users accusing you of being a troll or insulting remarks.

I like my pb, I own 2 of them w/"potential" in mind. After the os2 update it's more like "impotent". Please don't ruin this thread by calling me names for being disappointed with/the "potential" from latest update.
    tstrike34 likes this.
    02-23-12 09:33 PM
    Playbook is an amazing finished product as is. If you don't believe that, easy solution, spend the money and buy an iPad and be happy.

If you're looking to buy a tablet based on potential, there is no doubt in my that the playbooks potential blows any other tablet outa the water. It hasn't even been a year and the progression is amazing. Get ready to cough up some more money for brand new tablet when it comes to the other ones.
    02-23-12 09:52 PM
    Research, no motion: How the BlackBerry CEOs lost an empire
    Thanks for sharing this documentary. It was very thourough
    02-23-12 10:13 PM
    Playbook is an amazing finished product as is. If you don't believe that, easy solution, spend the money and buy an iPad and be happy.

If you're looking to buy a tablet based on potential, there is no doubt in my that the playbooks potential blows any other tablet outa the water. It hasn't even been a year and the progression is amazing. Get ready to cough up some more money for brand new tablet when it comes to the other ones.
    people are stuck on the apple movement. its as simple as that. if rim put random crap onto the playbook and advertised it like apple it would be a hit. for example look at apple and there "retina display" fancy way of saying higher pixel density. what a joke.

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk
    02-23-12 10:15 PM
    people are stuck on the apple movement. its as simple as that. if rim put random crap onto the playbook and advertised it like apple it would be a hit. for example look at apple and there "retina display" fancy way of saying higher pixel density. what a joke.

I can tell by your lack of caps, spelling, and apostrophes that you've also discovered that Tapatalk is actually slower to use than the web browser if you plan on typing correctly

Just razzing you, but I wish they had thought of enabling the new keyboard for apps like that, I ended up deleting mine (even though it was free... shhhh don't tell!)
    02-23-12 11:50 PM

What about RIMM's super apps? Marketing is part of the game. RIMM has nothing new to market right now; the jealousy/envy is pathetic IMO.

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    02-23-12 11:59 PM
    apple takes something and makes it simple and seem amazing.
    take siri for instance. voice search has been around before it came out all the techie noobs (apple fanboys) go crazy over it.

apple has always prided itself on taking something thats basic and making it more basic (for the noobs) and over charging them. take the price of ram in most mac's. its at least twice or three times the price of the market value yet because its "apple" its magic and good.

I recommend apple products for all my noob friends who dont like to tinker with tech stuff. They buy it (at a over inflated price) and love it.

most Blackberry users are more informed over most of our apple counterparts but thats because they like it simple and we like to play around
    Alt-F4, ralfyguy and Deu2e like this.
    02-23-12 11:59 PM
    What about RIMM's super apps? Marketing is part of the game. RIMM has nothing new to market right now; the jealousy/envy is pathetic IMO.

Sent from my IPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    I guess taking it one step further would be bringing our jealousy/envy to an apple forum and post insulting comments. Although I've owned 2 iphones, down to 1 now so I wouldnt personally do that. To each their own I guess
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-24-12 12:08 AM
    QNX is a big threat.
    02-24-12 12:11 AM
    apple takes something and makes it simple and seem amazing.
    take siri for instance. voice search has been around before it came out all the techie noobs (apple fanboys) go crazy over it.

apple has always prided itself on taking something thats basic and making it more basic (for the noobs) and over charging them. take the price of ram in most mac's. its at least twice or three times the price of the market value yet because its "apple" its magic and good.

I recommend apple products for all my noob friends who dont like to tinker with tech stuff. They buy it (at a over inflated price) and love it.

most Blackberry users are more informed over most of our apple counterparts but thats because they like it simple and we like to play around
    Garbage...
    02-24-12 12:25 AM
    Garbage...
    Lol BIG time garbage
    02-24-12 12:31 AM
    Guyzer, I hate to say it but that doesn't make for a great ad for PB lol. I would love not to have to tinker. To be honest, on PB I haven't had to tinker to get it right. Now, I can't say that with my 9900 or 9810 but the PB has worked smooth out of the box and even with OS2 in regards to the update and resulting working system. Have to say that was a very easy and smooth update. In fact I don't think I've had an easier major update on any of my gear I've owned.

Now...back to tinkering with crap apps to mess up my new OS...
    Last edited by zipped; 02-24-12 at 12:40 AM.
    02-24-12 12:37 AM
    If rim was serious, they would do some package deals, where you get a berry and a pb together. I would have seriously considered that, especially the way carriers are trying to rape on data now.
    02-24-12 12:52 AM
    Well,....this WAS a great thread before the crybabies showed up.

*sigh*
    02-24-12 01:03 AM
189 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD