9810 is the best bb7 phone available

please be advised: this isn't a thread about ipads, iphones, or android tablets or phones being "bad devices", not at all, it is simply a comparison of my own and a friends experiences that i believe make the playbook and a bb7 phone an unbeatable combo (for me and others, but not necessarily for everybody). just sayin'

9810 almost has everything except - nfc and charging contacts (oh, it doesn't cook my breakfast):

- large touch screen, nice and vibrant with "liquid graphics" using a 1.2ghz processor (does not need to be dual core at all)
    - physical slider and sofware keyboards, i find the pysical keyboard very important, for certain functionalities
    - image stabalization / autofocus 5mp camera with 720p hd video
    - mobile hotspot with 7.1 (i have it, works great)
    - my 9810 is my portable router / modem (mobile hotspot / tethering / bridge) where ever my carrier has coverage
    - decent storage with room for up to 32GB more with micro sd card memory expansion
    - removable battery can be considered important, for a few reasons (battery pulls, carrying extra batteries, etc...)
    - lot's of applications and more being added, however, i am more focused on playbook applications
    - bbm, and everything "social" under the sun, with world class PIM capabilities, of course
    - a multitude of multimedia capabilities, AR compass, music, video, pictures, themes, etc...
    - bridged to playbook 247, because the hands down BEST 9810 or any bb7 accessory is a playbook, for sure, mos def
    - gps on both, is nice too - bb maps, google maps, poynt, etc...
    - bedazzled battery door, can't really beat that!

basically, this device (9810) paired with my playbook is (for me) an unbeatable mobile solution, especially with official 7.1 (9810) and 2.0 (playbook) being made available, and official releases will be coming soon enough, theyre right around the corner, being saved for a "year of redemption" at rim (they do not seem to have a choice, and they know this, lol)

i can utilize my playbook with my 9810 for internet connectivity in a variety of ways:

- portable wifi (mobile hotspot on 9810)
    - blackberry bridge (bridge browser as well as many applications that also utilize bb bridge)
    - internet tethering (just in case, redundancy can be good)
    - if for some reason i don't have my 9810, or it's battery dies, my playbook can utilze regular wifi!

i also know it (playbook) will have awesome new capabilities with 2.0 come february, like video editing, or whatever else is created and made available by the various puzzle pieces RIM has been acqiring (j cut, tat, qnx, etc...) and for those who care, android apps will populate appworld with 2.0! rim wants to attract consumers, which is precisely why it made all those important acquisitions and arrangements for availability of android apps on playbook as well as bb10 phones.

side note: my friend got an android running asus eee pad transformer - not prime, but still a very nice tablet, as well as innovative with the docking station... but - she totally wishes she had my playbook and seemed lost and distracted with her new android device, for some reason (matters not if it is a phone or tablet, same process pretty much, i think), needless to say, i was the one who needed to "configure" her android, because she wasn't catching onto it as easily as she did with an ipad (for angry birds, lol) or the playbook, so - she was doing what seems natural with the playbook, as she attempted bezel swipes and various other things done so easily on a playbook, and she quickly found herself frustrated, and had to "dock" it to the keyboard immediately - i am in no way implying that an android tablet or an ipad are "bad devices", not at all, so please don't read it like that, i am just trying to show how the playbook and a bb7 device can make sense for anybody.

lol, i should have recorded her unboxing and setup experience as a "comedy skit" and then made a comparison video of somebody with a 9810 and a playbook as xmas gifts... lol - to show folks just how easy it is to setup a blackberry solution! (insert friendly sarcasm notification here)
    "soldiers for rim, rockin' bolds, sharing pins, hopped up on folgers or brim, using words as weapons, a bunch of nerds just steppin', on the toes of their foes, for respect they be gettin', seems all for not tho, when on the verge of armageddon yo" - higgins mcgee talkin' trash off the top of his dome piece

anyways, she wants to trade me for my playbook, "NEVER!" i said, quite fiendishly

buckwylder AKA higgins mcgee is out, peace
    Last edited by buckwylder; 12-28-11 at 12:45 AM.
    ralfyguy, miktro, Dapper37 and 7 others like this.
    12-26-11 09:45 PM
    i actually read all this lol

Anyhow I just upgraded my 8330 to 9930. No feelings about it yet as it's been UPDATING FOR THE PAST HOUR!!! Actually it JUST finished

I was looking for 9810 first but realized I needed to change from Sprint to AT&T, who's trying to block Bridge, and quite frankly I'm not looking for another cat and mouse game. I know, OTA, ...

Are you tethering for an extra charge????

I have 2 days to return before I'm charged for anything. Thanks.
    12-26-11 10:12 PM
    I have the same combo (9810/PlayBook), and I love the way they compliment each other, too. They're great together!

AT&T didn't have a Bridge app. Now they do, but their Bridge allows limited capability. That's why, thanks to the posters here, I installed the better app, provided by poster, rroy.
    I get total Bridge functions, including complete Internet access and access to any app, without, I repeat, without paying to tether my devices!
    curvezzz, Hgouck, Serkle K and 1 others like this.
    12-26-11 10:25 PM
    how's the tether and bridge speed on att? I just bridged my Sprint 9930 and it doesn't seem much faster than my 8330 bridged
    12-26-11 10:37 PM
    I'm in the 9810 - Playbook camp and think its a winning combination.
    12-26-11 10:37 PM
    and what do you all use for GPS? With Sprint, navigation comes with their unlimited data with no additional fee
    12-26-11 10:41 PM
    I also have a 9810/PB combo, and I love it. I waited to get a PB until I could upgrade to a 4G phone, and it is so worth it. Bridge or tether (and my data plan includes tethering), it's as fast as a wifi connection. Saves me $50/month at my shop for separate internet access.

For 2 weeks, while my 9810 torch was in for repairs, I had a 9800 loaner, and the difference was significant.
    12-26-11 10:43 PM
    Count me in. I got myself a PB for Christmas, surprised the wife with one and doggone if she didn't surprise me with a 9810.

This was a very good Christmas.
    Last edited by shame23; 01-15-12 at 12:22 PM.
    Hgouck, BERaddict and bquinney like this.
    12-26-11 10:43 PM
    how's the tether and bridge speed on att? I just bridged my Sprint 9930 and it doesn't seem much faster than my 8330 bridged
    No, no, no! You don't tether with AT&T. And you don't use the app world Bridge app. You use the much better app posted by rroy, and you're paired, you have Internet access. You've got it all (apparently you didn't read my last post).
    12-26-11 10:44 PM
    As a combo the pb + BB is the best

I'm seeing posters in stores showing an iPhone with an iPad behind it (a la BB + pb advertising) or an android with a Galaxy iTab behind it (a la BB + pb advertising)...they can't match the pb + BB cool factor
    12-26-11 10:47 PM
    I own a 9810, but I use a 9900. The 9810 is a great phone, but I just prefer the bigger keyboard for what I use the phone for. For me the 9900 and PlayBook compliment each other perfectly. No want or need for anything else.
    Hgouck likes this.
    12-26-11 10:49 PM
    Been using my Bold 9700 and trying to figure if upgrading my phone is really worth it at the time. Neither the 9810 or the 9900 have UMA which is crucial to me.

As far as the pair goes, is there a major advantage over BB6?
    12-26-11 11:32 PM
    No, no, no! You don't tether with AT&T. And you don't use the app world Bridge app. You use the much better app posted by rroy, and you're paired, you have Internet access. You've got it all (apparently you didn't read my last post).
    no I read it,I'm just trying to live a tinker-free life. And before I go on a page-long rant about what I've done to "unlock" just about every platform, just let me say a cat and mouse game is not what I am after. Whatever att's response is for rroys Bridge/tether mod I don't wanna be around to see. Basically rroys app and att are out of the question if thats what you all do for att freedom to bridge/tether. I will go with Verizon or stick with my currwntly-bridged 8330 on Sprint

for clarification, hopefully, I have in front of me my beloved 8330 from 2-3 yr ago and a 9930 I just got today. Both on Sprint. 8330 has no wifi, i'm limited to bridge but thought it was slow. But comparing the 9930 alongside, streaming just shoutcast, I actually just got a few dropouts with the 9930 bridging that I never experienced with the 8330 at home. For now, I will just consider them equal when comes to bridging, at least for Sprint.

Which is why I am asking about att. And about GPS. and about tethering. 9810 (what I really wanted) is 4G (faster than 8330 and 9930) and only at att

At least with my old plan I have unlimited data, gps, and $25 less tham what it would cost to move me and my wife to separate plans, mine being a smartphone.

I don't know, but its looking more and more like I will be sticking with my 8330, bridged to my PB at 3g speeds, for $25 less than what everyone else is paying
    12-26-11 11:42 PM
    Been using my Bold 9700 and trying to figure if upgrading my phone is really worth it at the time. Neither the 9810 or the 9900 have UMA which is crucial to me.

As far as the pair goes, is there a major advantage over BB6?
    wait.. my 8330 is BB5 AND it was the Boost Mobile OS tha Sprint never released. It was the only way I could get Bridge
    12-26-11 11:48 PM
    I pay $10 a month for tethering & find I now have access to ATT wifi spots. However I only have 2gb data on it. I use OS2. I finally added tethering fee.
    12-27-11 12:13 AM
    i actually read all this lol

Anyhow I just upgraded my 8330 to 9930. No feelings about it yet as it's been UPDATING FOR THE PAST HOUR!!! Actually it JUST finished

I was looking for 9810 first but realized I needed to change from Sprint to AT&T, who's trying to block Bridge, and quite frankly I'm not looking for another cat and mouse game. I know, OTA, ...

Are you tethering for an extra charge????

I have 2 days to return before I'm charged for anything. Thanks.
    my data plan is 100 percent unlimited, i can use bridge (which is pretty much always free with most carriers, except att) and i can use tethering / mobile hotspot as much as i like with my unlimited data plan

i do not do a bunch of ridiculous downloading anyways, but i do watch a lot of streaming content, and play various online games using this data, because my 9810 is my one and only method of accessing the internet, with my playbook or anything else i plan to connect to the web
    Last edited by buckwylder; 12-27-11 at 12:28 AM.
    12-27-11 12:26 AM
    I have the same combo (9810/PlayBook), and I love the way they compliment each other, too. They're great together!

AT&T didn't have a Bridge app. Now they do, but their Bridge allows limited capability. That's why, thanks to the posters here, I installed the better app, provided by poster, rroy.
    I get total Bridge functions, including complete Internet access and access to any app, without, I repeat, without paying to tether my devices!
    awesome! this is how rim intended bb bridge to be, a "free" service, a significant differentiator between playbook and other tablets

i am glad you are able to use bridge! it is a very good and practical service
    Last edited by buckwylder; 12-27-11 at 12:35 AM.
    ungibbed likes this.
    12-27-11 12:31 AM
    awesome! this is how rim intended bb bridge to be, a "free" service, a significant differentiator between playbook and other tablets

i am glad you are able to use bridge! it is a very good and practical service
    I took my PlayBook along with my T-Mobile Bold 9700 and it was great using bridge while on the go, no stacked fees or having to pay for a separate service such as a mobile router or tethering off another phone.

Roadtrips and the Poynt app for either my BB or the PlayBook version simply rock.
    12-27-11 02:46 AM
    I'm not in the same boat as either camp here. I have my Playbook and My Atrix working very nicely together now. I see you're kind of giddy about your setup so I won't rain on your parade but you can get the other formats singing in sweet harmony like I have with very little effort. It's only going to get better when Playdroid happens in a couple of months. There's no need to have a BB phone with the PB by a long shot I don't pay extra tethering fees, and you can transfer large data faster over wifi with no charges incurred even when not on a network than bluetooth bridging does. Pretty much the only perk offered by bridging is BBM and email (for a few weeks). Not really sure where this stuff about extra fees and mobile hotspot comes from , must be a bad carrier specific thing.
    Last edited by omniusovermind; 12-27-11 at 03:12 AM.
    12-27-11 03:08 AM
    Another 9810 and PB user....great combo. My husband has the 9800 and PB which he is happy with also.
    12-27-11 04:23 AM
    I'm not in the same boat as either camp here. I have my Playbook and My Atrix working very nicely together now. I see you're kind of giddy about your setup so I won't rain on your parade but you can get the other formats singing in sweet harmony like I have with very little effort. It's only going to get better when Playdroid happens in a couple of months. There's no need to have a BB phone with the PB by a long shot I don't pay extra tethering fees, and you can transfer large data faster over wifi with no charges incurred even when not on a network than bluetooth bridging does. Pretty much the only perk offered by bridging is BBM and email (for a few weeks). Not really sure where this stuff about extra fees and mobile hotspot comes from , must be a bad carrier specific thing.
    I was thinking of upgrading old Curve to Droid Razr. But I got the 9930 instead yesterday and not too happy with the battery life though. Bridge is solid as is the 3G, better than the Curve's 3G from what I can tell.

However what I love about the Bridge is that when I pickup my Playbook it feels like it's already on 3G. I don't have to click anything on the phone in order to use the browser on the Playbook. It's ALWAYS bridged and the network works on the PB as if it was a native 3G connection. Do you get this same experience with the Atrix with its Hotspot feature?
    12-27-11 07:40 AM
    no I read it,I'm just trying to live a tinker-free life. And before I go on a page-long rant about what I've done to "unlock" just about every platform, just let me say a cat and mouse game is not what I am after. Whatever att's response is for rroys Bridge/tether mod I don't wanna be around to see. Basically rroys app and att are out of the question if thats what you all do for att freedom to bridge/tether. I will go with Verizon or stick with my currwntly-bridged 8330 on Sprint

Which is why I am asking about att. And about GPS. and about tethering. 9810 (what I really wanted) is 4G (faster than 8330 and 9930) and only at att
    Rroyy's app isn't a cat-n-mouse game with ATT... Att took the Bridge App and restricted access to the browser, so they can charge you to access it via the App World version. Pretty much putting their signature onto it in App World so that, that is the version you see in app world. RRoyys version is the bridge app as it was released by RIM. There really is no modification... If any, it's on ATTs part, not Rroyys... he just made (and makes) the RIM version of Bridge available via OTA so we ATT users dont have to fall for the B$ that ATT is trying to trap us into.

I pay $10 a month for tethering & find I now have access to ATT wifi spots. However I only have 2gb data on it. I use OS2. I finally added tethering fee.
    I've had free access to ATT WiFi hotspots ever since I got my first BB (9000) about 4/5 years ago, and haven't had to pay anything extra to use it. I even have my grandfathered unlimited data plan... I'm basically all unlimited now... 900 min/mo & Rollover, unlimited texts, unlimited data, BBM, email... it's always carried over to my new devices as long as I dont make any changes to my plan.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that I look to be upgrading to a 9810 in the next few months. I love my 9800/PB combo, and I have tested out both the 9810 and 9900, and while I love them both, I think the 9810 will serve me better via os7 upgrade on the same form factor that I am currently using.
    Last edited by Serkle K; 12-27-11 at 09:17 AM.
    BERaddict and cleveland216 like this.
    12-27-11 09:12 AM

U mean all Bridge functions right ? Not every App ? For example, if u r connected via Bridge can u open ur facebook app or the weather app ?
    12-27-11 09:27 AM
    and what do you all use for GPS? With Sprint, navigation comes with their unlimited data with no additional fee
    Blackberry Traffic 3.0. Best part is that it is free.
    cleveland216 likes this.
    12-27-11 09:28 AM
    U mean all Bridge functions right ? Not every App ? For example, if u r connected via Bridge can u open ur facebook app or the weather app ?
    Yes the apps work via bridge, but not always wonderful. Bing maps will sometimes close when bridging, but I'm convinced that it is due to dead mobile spots rather than the PB itself.

+1 on the OP, 9810 + PB32 = JOY.
    BERaddict likes this.
    12-27-11 09:39 AM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD