Hello everyone,

With Tablet 2.0 being pushed back, another deadline that many suspect won't be made, RIM seems to still be blind to other devices. Read an article on Business Insider, which I'm sure many others have also read, that talks about RIM ignoring other devices. They focus so hard to make the Playbook to work with only those that already have Blackberry devices. The more i read and see, I'm starting to think that RIM has almost sealed their own fate.

I understand the point of bridge, VERY attractive to Blackberry owners, but we are a small portion of the mobile industry. RIM need to also find away to cater to the Others out there. Why should an android owner buy a Playbook? Or an IPhone or even a Windows mobile user buy it? They have no gain what so every from the Playbook. In order to achieve any kind of market share RIM has to create a device that appeals to all users across the nation/world. My wife for instance was looking at getting herself playbook, decided against it because she wouldn't be able to bridge her Galaxy s2 to it. So she got a little netbook instead. I know she wanted the Playbook because she always plays with mine, but she was right. Why buy a device like that if it's rendered borderline useless to a non blackberry user.

I guess until this weekend I never really thought much about how one sided the Playbook really is. Other device users can see what Blackberry users do, and yeah they like it, but they can't do it. I've also come to notice it's not just one thing or another, it's the way the whole tablet is built that excludes other from enjoying it. It's the way RIM tailored the device to those who they knew would bu it, BB users. If the Playbook is suppose to save RIM they need to branch out to everyone.

Now, I'm sorry if this comes across to some in the wrong way, but it's just my little rant. I know my wife really wanted her own playbook and was looking forward to it. Then when she started asking me questions and I kept saying no, she got frustrated. She loves using my Playbook bridged to my phone driving across state surfing the web, she wanted that herself. RIM needs to get their heads out of their @$$ and get a SOLID device for everyone.

Sorry for the long read, I know it's not very constructive but I knew it would be OK vent here.
    11-01-11 08:23 AM
    Until recently I didn't own a BB phone and found my playbook very useful. Most other smart phones can make a wifi hotspot, making the playbook very useful. With native flash, you don't need all of the apps and you can use a third party calendar app pretty easily.
    11-01-11 08:57 AM
    seems like rim wanted to package the pb and bb phones as a bundle. but you're right, if i were and iphone user i would be more inclined to buy the same pb without bridge than if bridge were offered to bb users simply because i cannot make full use of the tablet.

rim does not have enough market share to be practicing this type of discrimination. a good portion of bb users are from the developing world. what makes rim think that these users have the ability to afford tablets?
    11-01-11 09:06 AM
    The Bridge feature was the prime reason for my purchasing a PB.

While RIM has improved its speed and capabilities some it still is lacking.

1. Still needs to be faster. The Facebook native client doesn't work well with it and some web pages load so slow or do not fully load.
    But it much better than it was on day one.

2. Stability. My 9650, when PB web browsing, will reboot itself during video playback, via the bridge. At times when I "restart" the PB, while bridged, the Bold will also reboot.

3. App World should be able to use the bridge connection but probably due to number 1 and 2 above adding more to the bridge is probably not a good idea currently.

4. Browser is still unstable. It likes to just snap shut. No real pattern to it. Suspect memory issue or an unknown error is causing the browser to freak out and terminate.
    Works good most the time. Could be faster both on WiFI and more so via bridge.

The Beta is not great, but may be a crippled on purpose version. Some good things but good things often bring more bugs and glitches.

Like almost everything with the PB, it's good, could/must be improved but it's always "just down the road".

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry
    11-01-11 10:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD