While there are many topics with people speculating when 2.0 will hit, it occurred to me that it's actually a good thing that no specific day in February has been announced. Like many of you, I know that 2.0 is right around the corner and I want to be as prepared as possible to be able to jump right in.

So, without knowing a firm date, I reverted back to 1.0.x from the 2.0 beta before February 1. Since then, I have been in the habbit of making a backup via DM on a regular basis (or more frequently if I'm adding a bunch of content or updating apps. Suddenly I'm finding that making a backup has become part of my routine schedule.

Since I don't know exactly when 2.0 is coming out, waiting has encouraged me to begin backing up on a regular basis. And, while backing up the Playbook, I find that I am more regularly backing up my phone as well. Backups are a good thing to get used to doing. If we had a firm date, I probably would have just scheduled the day before for a single backup and would have not gotten used to doing it regularly.

2.0 is coming and I'm ready for it! Have any of you incorporated any good 'new habbits' during the wait?
    02-13-12 04:40 PM
    My feelings on it, when it's here it's here. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm good without it. I'd rather it be delayed to ensure it's refined than rush and get a buggy update.
    02-13-12 05:23 PM
    Its also better this way since there's no scheduled official release date, there's less of a chance there will be a huge rush of people downloading the OS. If the OS is released everyone finds out at a different time depending on what their doing. Non tech savvy people might take a few days or so to catch on that there is an update and that also frees up the servers
    02-13-12 05:28 PM
    I think it is great,because should they miss by a day the the world will not end.
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    02-13-12 06:49 PM
    I would like them to set a date and stick with it for the first time in a long while. Would be a good sign that RIM has made a change for the better. Its like they try to do the opposite of apple but the problem is that apples way works. they give you a date and have people lined up at the door. with rim there is no day so no line
    02-13-12 06:59 PM
    I disagree with the OP (sorry louzer), but IMO ...by setting a date, it shows change in RIM's previous antics and provides some sort of responsibility of starting a solid foundation with the new administration. If a date is given then deadlines become more important, but without a date there is no structure on getting "things" done in a timely manner. The world runs on clocks and calenders for a reason.
    rickgainsmith, FF22, nkuza and 1 others like this.
    02-13-12 07:17 PM
    This is a company that has had a culture of missing deadlines and you can't expect them to suddenly change overnight. The release of OS 2.0 is too soon for them to take a chance with a publicly announced release date. If they do give a date and miss it, all will break loose. Regardless of how good it turns out to be, it would be overshadowed by negative articles and comments about how RIM failed to deliver on time yet again. This OS release is critical to RIM's brand rebuilding on multiple levels.
    02-13-12 07:39 PM
    Let's see. RIM controls both software and hardware for the Playbook.

Let's see Competitor "x" with a similar product. They also control hardware and software. They announce the release date on October 4th. And say new OS will be available in 8 days. Pretty simple.

RIM needs to give at least 5-7 days notice.
    If its late in Feb and no release....it won't be a good sign. Why? Because competitor X is about to release or announce the 3rd version of their competing product in early March. By that time most will forget about RIM's 2.0 release.
    02-13-12 07:45 PM
    My point was not to create another thread discussing how vital it is for RIM to hit a deadline. There are so many threads either guessing the date or saying how critical hitting the (a) date is, I wanted to take a shot at more of a constructive things to do with your time while you wait thread.

It's a given that we don't have a date. So instead of just sitting around and guessing and worrying, I just wanted to take the opportunity to say that waiting had a positive impact on me getting me into the routine of backing up my devices.

I'm just trying to spin a positive on a topic that has everyone talking negatively. We don't have a firm date and RIM is late to the dance. OK. I think everyone gets it at this point. Given that it is what it is, all I'm asking is if anyone has found a more productive use of their time other than p1ssing and moaning or getting blisters on their check-for-update-pressing finger while waiting for something that we don't know exactly when it will come.

Save the negativity for all of the things 'promised' on the recent BB10 mockups that will never make it to BB10.
    rjedge54 likes this.
    02-13-12 11:43 PM
    My feelings on it, when it's here it's here. I'm looking forward to it, but I'm good without it. I'd rather it be delayed to ensure it's refined than rush and get a buggy update.
    RIM almost had a year to get it right. It's long over due specially for the users that have bought pb since day one.
    02-14-12 12:39 AM
    The PB is already great as is. Not sure OS2 will change much for me. I don't need any bloody native email!
    02-14-12 01:11 AM
    Let's see. RIM controls both software and hardware for the Playbook.

Let's see Competitor "x" with a similar product. They also control hardware and software. They announce the release date on October 4th. And say new OS will be available in 8 days. Pretty simple.

RIM needs to give at least 5-7 days notice.
    If its late in Feb and no release....it won't be a good sign. Why? Because competitor X is about to release or announce the 3rd version of their competing product in early March. By that time most will forget about RIM's 2.0 release.
    Why does RIM "need" to give 5-7 days notice? Particularly when we're awaiting significant announcements from both Apple and Microsoft?

Why not try to time it around those other two instead of painting a target on your product and announce a date before the others do?

What, exactly, are we losing by not getting a firm date commitment? They gave a window of February back in October, and as recently as yesterday we had a VP asserting that February is, still, the target. Given how few days are left in February, isn't that enough?
    02-14-12 01:19 AM
    The PB is already great as is. Not sure OS2 will change much for me. I don't need any bloody native email!
    To be fair, there are some very significant enhancements in 2.0 even if you DON'T use the native e-mail.

The improvement to the WiFi alone makes it more than worthwhile; it's a fantastic browsing experience in the dev preview.
    02-14-12 01:21 AM
    Why does RIM "need" to give 5-7 days notice? Particularly when we're awaiting significant announcements from both Apple and Microsoft?

Why not try to time it around those other two instead of painting a target on your product and announce a date before the others do?

What, exactly, are we losing by not getting a firm date commitment? They gave a window of February back in October, and as recently as yesterday we had a VP asserting that February is, still, the target. Given how few days are left in February, isn't that enough?
    We are not really waiting on announcements from Apple or Microsoft. Microsoft already announced that its date is 2/29 - they don't miss their dates. Apple's is also the classic Apple sanctioned rumor that happens each time theyhave a release. There is no doubt that 3/7 will be the iPad 3 debut. RIM, on the other hand, says nothing beyond "all in good time" and pushes closer and closer to getting swamped out of the news by the two most powerful companies in the computer industry. BTW, he really should have gotten fired for the all in good time tweet....
    02-14-12 01:30 AM
    No release date is NOT a good thing....RIM need to demonstrate that it can now fulfil commitments and meet deadlines irrespective of past performance.

I personally expect native apps on any tablet, the playbook is no exception, RIM also recognises customers want native apps and they were remiss in not including them that's why they are delivering them now.
    02-14-12 01:32 AM
    No release date is NOT a good thing....RIM need to demonstrate that it can now fulfil commitments and meet deadlines irrespective of past performance.

I personally expect native apps on any tablet, the playbook is no exception, RIM also recognises customers want native apps and they were remiss in not including them that's why they are delivering them now.
    They set a deadline. They said it would release in February. They've given significant demos in the past few weeks, and a VP tweeted yesterday that they were still committed to the February window.

However valid your other arguments are, the fact is that RIM actually has been hitting deadlines. They had OS 2 to show at CES, they released a final Developer Preview well before the end of January, and they've generally been living up to commitments.

There have been several indicators that RIM's internal launch date is Feb 17, and that the retail "relaunch" is the 21st.

Really, how much more do you need? There's only 15 days left in this month, and 5 of them are weekends/holidays. Oh, and take out Fridays, too, since that's a sucky day to roll out a new OS. Doesn't leave a lot.
    02-14-12 01:38 AM
    They set a deadline. They said it would release in February. They've given significant demos in the past few weeks, and a VP tweeted yesterday that they were still committed to the February window.

However valid your other arguments are, the fact is that RIM actually has been hitting deadlines. They had OS 2 to show at CES, they released a final Developer Preview well before the end of January, and they've generally been living up to commitments.

There have been several indicators that RIM's internal launch date is Feb 17, and that the retail "relaunch" is the 21st.

Really, how much more do you need? There's only 15 days left in this month, and 5 of them are weekends/holidays. Oh, and take out Fridays, too, since that's a sucky day to roll out a new OS. Doesn't leave a lot.
    I don't need anything, but do think that RIM must be held to account because of past transgressions and failures until they prove otherwise and we can trust their word again.
    RIM can show as many demos as they like, until they deliver a working OS 2.0 to their customers they haven't delivered anything.

An indicator is just more speculation.....I personally want RIM to win and show to the market that they can deliver and are not afraid of setting themselves firm targets. It's up to RIM to win the market, tech bloggers and customers back on side.

I'm sure of one thing and that is RIM will deliver OS 2.0 and with it will come a better Playbook experience but it would be great if they did it with flair on time or preferably earlier and not leave it down to the wire.
    02-14-12 02:09 AM
    The fact of the matter is (WOW, I sound like my old professor) RIM needs to be accountable, something they have NOT demonstrated in the past......I and a whole lot of other PlayBook owners have been "finding" things to do while waiting on OS2.0 since April. Its time to BeBold in 2012.....and BeStructured. Set a "DATE" and learn to make deadlines like the rest of the world. I like my Blackberry products for what they do for ME, and I appreciate any enhancements, but RIM needs to learn about marketing and deadlines.
    02-14-12 09:00 AM
    Wasn't 2.0 suppose to come out in the summer? Haha.
    02-14-12 09:32 AM
    The positive I get from not knowing the date is that I have been coming back to Crackberry on a regular (twice - or more - a day) schedule and am reading up on lots of great stuff that I might otherwise have missed (by only coming once a day!).
    02-14-12 01:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD